Barlotti in Boston II

Where are you and where are you going?
Barlotti

Re: Barlotti in Boston II

Post by Barlotti »

@basuragomi -- I love your enthusiasm! I did indeed get a new, used car. I was facing a couple thousand dollars in repairs for my old hybrid, and so decided to trade in the old for a new, used 2016 Honda Fit. I really appreciate your questions -- it's true, I could be FI in 5 to 7 years. I have thought offhandedly about changing careers once I'm FI. A change of pace is always nice.

I look forward to reading your journal! :)

Hristo Botev

Post by Hristo Botev »

Barlotti wrote:
Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:39 am
and so decided to trade in the old for a new, used 2016 Honda Fit.
Ooh, I've always liked the Honda Fit; it just seems like the perfect car for about 90% of the things you'd need a car for. I've got a buddy who is 10+ years into his Fit currently, and it's been damn near problem-less for him.

Barlotti

Post by Barlotti »

@Hristo Botev, it's a nice car. A bit noisy and you can really feel the road, but like you said, perfect for 90% of the things you need a car for.

It's New Year's Eve, and I am blogging my net worth in celebration!

Assets
condo-1 380,000
condo-2 280,000
checking 1182
savings 4418
savings 2 10550
savings 3 105
403b1 197139
TIAA annuity 6840
403b2 48761
Roth 25374
pension

Barlotti

Post by Barlotti »

@Hristo Botev, it's a nice car. A bit noisy and you can really feel the road, but like you said, perfect for 90% of the things you need a car for.

It's New Year's Eve, and I am blogging my net worth in celebration!

Assets
condo-1 380,000
condo-2 280,000
checking 1182
savings 4418
savings 2 10550
savings 3 105
403b1 197139
TIAA annuity 6840
403b2 48761
Roth 25374
pension 24821

Liabilities
mortgage-1 276126
mortgage-2 141227

Net worth 561,836.

Taking stock, I feel so grateful. All my friends and family are safe and sound (knock on wood), I have a job, I am building wealth. I keep thinking of giving. I have never tithed regularly, but I figure that it's an important step in spiritual growth. My a ha of the year is about spiritual growth. It's important. It's probably the most important factor to having an abundant life. OK, so perhaps this will sound like prosperity gospel. Perhaps the gem at center is universal. I found it mainly through Buddhist meditation. Basically, we all write our own adventures. We all make it up as we go along. I'm not quite there with tithing, but I hope I'll get there this year.

Barlotti

8th anniversary Barlotti in Boston II

Post by Barlotti »

It's the 8th anniversary of Barlotti in Boston II!!

I almost forgot... Considering that 10 years ago, I had a net worth of zero, I'm doing pretty well. I'm 46 years old, and based purely on projections, I may reach net worth of $1M in about one and a half years. I remember the start of this journey and trying to figure out how to reach net worth of $1M by age 50. It's been a smoother road than I anticipated, thanks largely to the stock and real estate markets.

This has been a long journey with a lot of personal growth. I've gone from being highly anxious to balanced. Meditation has played a role, but so has personal finance. When you're on top of your money, it's easier to relax. I wish everyone had this security that I now feel. I expect it will only get better over the next few years, as I become more and more financially secure. Thank you, universe. And also, thank you ERE. This forum, and journaling, have been SO helpful.

TOTAL CASH SAVINGS
TOTAL 30668.41

PROPERTY
Condo1 299,800
Condo2 440,000
TOTAL 739,800

RETIREMENT SAVINGS
TOTAL 371629.54

ASSETS
Total Cash 30668.41
Ret Sav 371629.54
Property 739,800
TOTAL 1142097.95

LIABILITIES
Mortgage1 139500.42
Mortgage2 278071.06
TOTAL 417571.48

NET WORTH 724526.47

Married2aSwabian

Post by Married2aSwabian »

Wow, great progress! I’m interested in your journey with meditation and Buddhism. How did you get started? What is your practice like?
I started meditating daily at the beginning of the pandemic. Now, I can’t imagine getting through the past year and a half without it! I think it’d be cool to practice with a group from time to time when we finally get through this thing more completely.
I see where you’re coming from: “This has been a long journey with a lot of personal growth. I've gone from being highly anxious to balanced. Meditation has played a role, but so has personal finance.”

We all had plenty of stress, anxiety, etc BEFORE the pandemic, and that just added a massive layer of unpredictability to everything. When we can step back and look at what we truly have control over, two of the biggest areas are:
1. Thoughts about / response to what is happening.
2. Personal consumption / monthly expenditures

Meditation and ERE / FI are great means of optimizing both.

Barlotti

Post by Barlotti »

@Married2aSwabian - very nice to meet you! It seems like we're on the same page regarding meditation and ERE/FI. In answer to your question, I got started with my meditation practice some 10 years ago by attending an S.N. Goenka Vipassanna Meditation retreat. It was something that I'd wanted to do for years, but had found very difficult to carve out 10 days, until I found myself unemployed, a casualty of the great recession.

Since then, I've taken another S.N. Goenka 10 day retreat and tried out different kinds of meditation, including offerings at the Cambridge Insight Meditation Center (in Cambridge, Massachusetts), the Zen Mountain Monastery (Mount Tremper, New York), and the Cambridge Zen Center (also in Cambridge, Massachusetts). My daily practice is patchy -- I fall back on daily practice in times of stress and uncertainty, but I find even sporadic meditation useful.

I highly recommend meditation to all my friends and loved ones. Meditation changed my life and has been a good companion to ERE/FI. There's little that I find overwhelming. I rarely flip out. These are life skills that create a virtuous cycle, and I give credit to spiritual growth that, for me, was seeded by meditation.