FI in 10 years

Where are you and where are you going?
steveo73

Re: FI in 10 years

Post by steveo73 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:03 pm

jennypenny wrote:
Tue Jul 16, 2019 6:49 am
I'm really sorry about your brother steveo. That stuff cuts deep. I think most people end up a better person after stuff like that happens but it's a painful way to grow.

Peace.
Thank You. It hurts so much. I've never experienced anything like that. At one point I was crying every day and multiple times per day. My parents are a mess. He was so good. He was an over-achiever to my mind an extreme way. He was great at sport. He had a result at high school that put him into the top 2% of results. He then completed a masters in law and was working as a general manager in a large company earning 500k per year. He ran marathons and triathlons. He was married with 3 kids. He was too intense in that he was jogging 20km to work at 5:30 in the morning when he was hit. He did stuff like this all the time.

I don't think you end up a better person but you are changed. The loss is also too much to not impact us for the rest of our lives. It's that bad. We go on but it's tough.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:18 pm

Current Update. I need to focus on my health a bit more. I've been sad and maybe depressed since I lost my brother and I've been eating poorly and put on some weight. I haven't been training as much either.

So I went to the gym twice last week. I'll see how many times I can get to the gym this month and do my own mini-workout. The trick is that after every workout I have to try and have a recovery workout. So stretch and self-massage my back. I also hang on a bar to give my shoulders a rest. If I don't do this my body breaks down. I'll also try and eat healthily as much as possible.

It's no point doing a finances update for me just yet. I tend to have a check every quarter even though I tend to monitor it all the bloody time.

El Duderino

Post by El Duderino » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:58 am

My condolences on your loss. Can't even imagine what you've gone through and so sad to hear.

Good call on getting back in the gym. Are you still rolling?

steveo73

Post by steveo73 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:58 pm

El Duderino wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:58 am
My condolences on your loss. Can't even imagine what you've gone through and so sad to hear.

Good call on getting back in the gym. Are you still rolling?
I'm still training. I went 4 times last week but I doubt I can continue training that hard. I've been working on leg locks which for me consist 99% of heel hooks. It's changed my game a lot. The loss of my brother is intense and it's done a lot of damage to my family. Mum is devastated. I'm feeling a lot better but it is nearly 6 months since it happened. I still cry every so often - say once per week.

People take things differently though. I'm reading a book on stoicism and they state that these things happen and not to get too emotional. I understand this is good advice but I was a mess. My old instructor just lost his brother as well but he appears to be taking it a lot better than me.

Life goes on. Thanks for your support.