Elegant's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
IlliniDave

Re: Elegant's journal

Post by IlliniDave »

Stay safe. I hope all that ends soon. Even though I make a big deal about them, my day-to-day challenges are pretty insignificant compared to those of so many people.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

elegant wrote: So today I was driving back home listening to some music when I saw a couple of missiles flying over my head. Luckily they were intercepted but I had to stop the car in the middle of the road and run for cover so that the debris won't crush my little skull
AFAICT, nothing good will come out of that region, and if I were you, I would find another country. There is blood on everyone's hands and all are busy pointing fingers instead of looking at themselves.

Here is a nice read for a boring meeting

http://www.reddit.com/r/arabs/comments/ ... za/cism6ql

elegant

Post by elegant »

@Llorona well not really, missile attacks are more common in southern and nothern cities, not in the big cities (ie Tel Aviv & Jerusalem). This is a relatively recent phenomena.

@Dragline yes, Iron Dome is a brilliant system and it has saved many lives. It would not have been possible to deploy so many batteries without American support. It renders most rockets useless. Still, it is a bit unnerving to hear sirens and see such spectacles when you look up to the sky.

Fortunately/unfortunately Israel is a very interesting place to live in, with "interesting" manifesting itself both in positive and negative forms. I am not sure if it is possible to implement ERE in such dynamic environments. What do you think?

@Hank Absolutley, I feel terrible for the civilians in Gaza and would never like to be in their place. However, I feel less terrible for the people who hold them hostage, serially rejecting offers for mediation and cease fire.

@mxlr650 This is not an option. There is a reason why my grandparents moved here from Germany in the 1930s. Ironically Israel is the safest place for me...

@All Thank you for your thoughtful comments. It really means a lot in this difficult time.

elegant

Post by elegant »

July 2014 update:

In less than 3 months I'll take the leap of faith and retire. I have internalized the ERE philosophy. I will give up the cost-free car, the nice salary, the title, the office -- but I will gain my freedom and more importantly - the ability to do what I want with my time. From then on, work will be an option.

People keep asking me "so what are you gonna do after you quit". Generally I tell them that I'm going to take a long-ass vacation before I decide. Little do they know that this vacation is going to be decades long :D

On to the boring numbers ...

June Income:
Paycheck: 10,045 ILS

Total Income: 10,045 ILS

July Expenses:

Food: 418 ILS
- Snacks and Coke - 97.8 ILS
- Eating out - 153 ILS
- Groceries for dinner (aka loaves of bread & hummus) - 168 ILS

Utilities: 180.42
- Water - 49.42 ILS
- Electricity - 131 ILS

Communication - 218.22
- Internet: 99.78 ILS
- Cable infrastructure: 80.68 ILS
- Cell phone: 37.76 ILS

Misc - 217.3 ILS
- Bank Fees - 149.3 ILS
- Barber - 60 ILS
- Parking Fees - 8 ILS

Total Expenses: 1033.94 ILS

Savings Rate
This month: 89.7%
This year: 82.51% (target: 90%)
Total money spent this year: 12,665 ILS
Total money earned this year (after tax): 72,373 ILS
Money left to spend in 2014 (20,000 ILS challenge): 7334.81 ILS (36% left)

Net Worth Update

Total liquid ERE net worth: 842,256.13 ILS (246,273 USD)
Projected post ERE monthly expenses: 2,500 ILS
Projected SWR: 2.9%

pemulis

Post by pemulis »

Wow you are getting close, very exciting stuff. So what are your vacation plans? Backpack across Europe? Sail in the Caribbean?

elegant

Post by elegant »

August 2014 update:

* After much consideration I started seeing a psychologist. I wanted an unbiased professional to take a look at things and give me an analysis of my ERE related decisions. Speaking my mind was nice, for a change. Felt like Tony Soprano.

* After 3 meetings I told her about ERE and my motivation for being financially independent at such a young age. She seemed worried because according to her I am so disappointed with career life (true) that I'm slowly "shrinking / shying away" from life (she used a hebrew term that literally means "to minimize oneself" , not sure about proper translation). She meant it not only career wise but also socially and mentally, which, unfortunately, is true again.

* She left me with quite a lot to think about. Did I convince myself I was an introvert? Did I convince myself I have low need for acceptance? Did I convince myself I hate careerism? Did I convince myself I don't want a girlfriend, a wife, a family? How much of it is REALLY true, and how much is ERE inspired rationalization? I wish I knew how to find out the answer.

* Been considering the possibility of taking a year long unpaid vacation, so I have more time to think. I'm really worried about making hasty decisions with massive implications. I really feel like I despise my job, but quitting now might be a little bit too early / too extreme and may inject even more confusion to my mentally fragile ISTJ mind.

* Financially this has been the best month this year thanks to Mr Market and the decline of the Israeli Shekel vs the USD. For the first time ever, my unrealized monthly capital gains were higher than my paycheck! I know it won't continue like this in the future, but this feels really good. My 50-50 boglehead portfolio is almost fully implemented but I'm still too heavy on cash in my non-stock part of my portfolio.

August Income:
Paycheck: 10,045 ILS

Total Income: 10,045 ILS

August Expenses:
Food: 360.21 ILS
Trading fees: 225.55 ILS
Barber: 60 ILS
Parking: 10.34 ILS
Phone: 84.98 ILS
Cables: 80.53
Internet: 99.78
VPN service: 270.66 ILS

Total Expenses: 1192.05 ILS

Savings Rate
This month: 88.2%
This year: 83.19% (target: 90%)
Total money spent this year: 13,857 ILS
Total money earned this year (after tax): 82,418 ILS
Money left to spend in 2014 (20,000 ILS challenge): 6542.76 ILS (32.7% left)

A couple of charts to track my progress so far:

As always thanks for your invaluable input.

Elegant

Chad

Post by Chad »

elegant wrote: * After 3 meetings I told her about ERE and my motivation for being financially independent at such a young age. She seemed worried because according to her I am so disappointed with career life (true) that I'm slowly "shrinking / shying away" from life (she used a hebrew term that literally means "to minimize oneself" , not sure about proper translation). She meant it not only career wise but also socially and mentally, which, unfortunately, is true again.

* She left me with quite a lot to think about. Did I convince myself I was an introvert? Did I convince myself I have low need for acceptance? Did I convince myself I hate careerism? Did I convince myself I don't want a girlfriend, a wife, a family? How much of it is REALLY true, and how much is ERE inspired rationalization? I wish I knew how to find out the answer.

* Been considering the possibility of taking a year long unpaid vacation, so I have more time to think. I'm really worried about making hasty decisions with massive implications. I really feel like I despise my job, but quitting now might be a little bit too early / too extreme and may inject even more confusion to my mentally fragile ISTJ mind.
Don't worry. There are others who don't have this figured out either. I'm in much the same position concerning career and life. I do think she raises a good question about ERE. We shouldn't use it to shrink away from life, just to shrink the parts of our lives that we really don't want. Unfortunately, some times identifying what we really don't want is rather difficult. Always has been for me with my career.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

@Elegant -- I think it is very wise to talk to someone about your plans. For very introspective people, it's sometimes easy to get lost in our thoughts and it's good to get an outside perspective. My wife is particularly skilled at calling me out on strange rationalizations. ;)

Now I'm definitely not a psychologist so take everything I say with a grain of salt. But speaking of "shrinking away" from life, I just re-read your journal and two quotes immediately stuck out to me (edited by me for brevity, but maintaining the meaning as best I can):
At the ripe age of 29 years old, I see ambition as a vice worse than pride. Ambition makes people do horrible things. .... It causes one to experience so much stress and grief. In a purposeless world, ambition is meaningless.
I'd challenge you to think about what ambition means to you and why you have such a negative reaction to it. From my perspective, a person retiring at the age of 29 and taking control over their life is extremely ambitious, and in a very positive way! So give yourself some credit. I personally appreciate and respect healthy ambition in others. One can use it in selective constructive ways to improve themselves rather than "shrinking away" from negative feelings and fading into addictions.

I wouldn't pressure yourself to figure it all out right now, though, as this kinda thing takes time. Perhaps a year off would be a nice way to decompress and reevaluate things. That's sorta where I am as well.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

It's good to think about this, but really, perhaps you really need to quit this job and do something else with your life. Perhaps it's just as simple as that. Bad jobs exist, and also bad matches between certain people and certain jobs exist.

(Again, not to say that sometimes things are indeed more complicated and require some thought).

elegant

Post by elegant »

September 2014 update:

September is over, and thus begins my last month as a wage-slave.

By the end of October, just as I turn 30 years old, I'm going to be a free man.

I stopped seeing the shrink. I got the confirmation I wanted and felt there was no use in further couch ramblings.

I am willing to "sacrifice" the car, the regular salary and all the other benefits associated with this comfortable-yet-ultra-fragile lifestyle. My reward is freedom.

In other news, I received a small yet unexpected windfall this month.

Really trying to slowly supplement my work income with non-investment-based side hustles / muses. This will be my main focus in the coming months.

September Income:
Paycheck: 9,962 ILS
Windfall: 11,170 ILS

Total Income: 21132 ILS

September Expenses:
Food: 284.3 ILS
Accountant fees: 472 ILS
Side Hustle related: 300.88 ILS
Cell Phone: 61.36 ILS
Internet: 84.42 ILS
Cables: 80.68 ILS
Power: 175.86 ILS
Water & Sewage: 34.8 ILS
Parking: 19.99 ILS
Museum: 45 ILS
Pharmacy: 76 ILS

Total Expenses: 1635.31 ILS

Savings Rate
This month: 92.27%
This year: 85.04% (target: 90%)
Total money spent this year: 15,492 ILS
Total money earned this year: 103,550 ILS
Money left to spend in 2014 (20,000 ILS challenge): 4508 ILS (22.5% left)

SWR
Total Net Worth: 1,825,000 ILS
ERE net worth: 871,000 ILS
Projected annual expenses in retirement: 30,000 ILS p/a
Years saved: 29.04
Current SWR: 3.44%

Pronoid

Post by Pronoid »

Hey elegant. I just read your journal and it sounds quite similar to my situation. My job that was once interesting and fulfilling is now dull and boring. Not being able to utilize your skills really brings down the spirits to say the least. I am also looking to retire around age 30, which is the only reason I stick around for the paycheck since its only 17-22 months away. I'll be interested to see what you end up doing after you pull the plug.

elegant

Post by elegant »

@Iwantless

Thanks for reading. Yeah, I'm not really sure what to expect.

Saw a great thread the other day where I think it was tyler9000 who said that sometimes you just need to close a chapter even if you have no idea what the next one is going to look like.

There is some significance wrt retiring at 30. I feel like I "sacrificed" my 20's for the sake of my 30's. Fate will tell if I was right.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

elegant wrote:I feel like I "sacrificed" my 20's for the sake of my 30's.
How so?

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

I wish you awesome 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s.... ! (Maybe wishing for 100s etc is taking it a bit too far, but hey, who knows what science has produced by then...).

elegant

Post by elegant »

I quit my job today, a day after I turned 30.
For the first time in 30 years I no longer have an "institution" to tell me what to do, where to be, or how to act.
My time is *MINE*.
I am now officially FIRE (that is, unless I find a new job that I LIKE for a change ;) )
I would have never made this huge decision without the support this community has given me. Thank you all, and thanks Jacob for showing me the light.

Spartan_Warrior

Post by Spartan_Warrior »

Congrats! As someone who would absolutely love to quit his job today, I'm a little jealous. :D

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Perfect!

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

Congrats! It's inspiring to see the FIRE crowd grow. You have a great time ahead of you.

Scrubby

Post by Scrubby »

Congratulations, you are certainly ahead of the curve!

llorona

Post by llorona »

Congratulations. What a wonderful birthday gift!