mxlr650's marathon journal

Where are you and where are you going?
mxlr650

Re: mxlr650's marathon journal

Post by mxlr650 »

mxlr650 wrote:We sold the house FSBO (no seller's agent), and it was a great experience; we got above asking price and did not have to pay seller's agent commission. We had been tracking market for a while and IMO netted top dollars! I will detail on our experience in a separate post.
Posted my FSBO experience here: http://www.forum.earlyretirementextreme ... =14&t=6900

Took me a while to write it all, and now I will be back on road reverting to fun mode :roll:

steveo73

Re: Re:

Post by steveo73 »

jennypenny wrote:
mxlr650 (in first journal entry) wrote:My goal is to save 150K USD by 4th of July 2015 and retire;
Right on the money. Well done. :)
Hi - is this all you saved to retire ? If so that is badass.
mxlr650 wrote:My path to retirement turned out to be a very different than the one I imagined ~15 years ago -- I thought I would be financially successful doing startups. Did two startups, got great experience, it cost me ~80k and both went up in flames. I could have continued on the startup streak, but there is life to live, so I decided to fallback on my frugal skills to achieve FI.
I'm a big fan of this approach. I see no need to go for the hail mary. I think the robust frugal approach is achievable for everyone however very few will actually take this path.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

steveo73 wrote:Hi - is this all you saved to retire ? If so that is badass.
that's what i saved as travel fund -- it is not badass ;)
I was already FI when I started the journal.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

DW and I switched to Republic Wireless (RW) as there were lots of positive reviews -- well, $10 definitely sounds attractive compared to $50+ per month. My experience with RW in the past 3 months has been the absolute worst and instead of a rant, here a list of what I have gone thru
  • Soon after the switch to RW, we started receiving tons of garbage SMS as well as telemarketing calls, and we were miffed as the numbers we had ported to RW were already on donot-call list and we never had this issue with the previous cellular providers. With some digging with RW, I learned that, RW assigns two phone numbers to each subscriber – one for the sprint cellular infrastructure, and another for RW VoIP purposes. So, all the spam was originating from the new number that was added to our RW service. As a fix, RW assigned us a different number, and we put that number into donot-call -- after that the spam stopped, but not completely.
  • Voice quality with WiFi as well as with Sprint has been really bad. Sprint’s CDMA network crappiness was not a surprise, but it was a surprise that even on a quiet WiFi network the call quality was bad. OTOH, I had consistently better results with WhatsApp or Viber. One customer service person thought I was in an echo chamber; another time I was asked to not use speakerphone when I was on phone mic. Boy, I could go on.
  • Had to call 911 to report a highway incident, and all i got was a busy tone. It was not like 911 lines were busy with too many callers, my call on Sprint network was not going thru, WTFinF?!
  • Many of the services that do reverse number lookup to determine your identity will not accept both RW numbers as a valid mobile phone number. Basically you would need non-VoIP mobile number to use services like Yahoo mail, AirBnB, etc. Most banks/other online services that send you SMS will work fine though.
  • Software quality of RW software that gets loaded into the phone has annoying behaviors (I have no insight into how this crapware is written, but a guess purely from a blackbox perspective). When you turn off the WiFi and make a call thru cellular, call gets disconnected few times before the call goes thru. It is annoying to see the non-maskable notification prompting you to turn on the WiFi when you turned it off precisely because the WiFi call quality was crappy or you were in a non-WiFi area and you wanted to save battery. VM timestamps are always in EST, and if you do not live in EST, you will learn to determine time zone adjustments to the VM timestamps –a new skill you never had to learn all your life! When you clear all your VM, and if you are used to seeing VM icon go away from the notification screen right away, you will readjust your expectation for it to go away in next day or two. If you cannot wait that long, there is always that handy phone reboot or restarting that RW crapware.
Smartphone is important to me since it has camera, recorder, chat, apps, etc, and there is no way I would use flip-phone. Switching from one major cellular carrier to an another major carrier is not a big deal, but when switching from a major carrier to a no-name like RW - I should have remembered/practiced the Swedish proverb – don’t throw your old bucket till you know the new bucket does not leak. I am stuck with this garbage for couple more months till I get to home base.
Last edited by mxlr650 on Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 »

mxlr650 wrote:
steveo73 wrote:Hi - is this all you saved to retire ? If so that is badass.
that's what i saved as travel fund -- it is not badass ;)
I was already FI when I started the journal.
That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying that. I thought 150k to retire on was sweet.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I'm surprised about all the problems you've had with Republic. At least you don't have a contract.

The voice that introduces the voicemail is on EST for me too. The display on the phone reports the right time so I never noticed that the audio is incorrect.

Sometimes success or failure with a phone plan is random. I had bad luck with AT&T even though a lot of other people liked it. I really liked US Cellular but didn't do well with Tracfone.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

Gilberto wrote:I'm surprised about all the problems you've had with Republic. At least you don't have a contract.
The problem with adding a Republic number to Airbnb/Yahoo, and the issue with VM timestamps shouldn't be specific to me - if that is not the case, I would be interested to hear about it..

In the past, I have typically gone for BYOD plans, so contract has not been an issue with other carriers as well. I cannot wait to dump RW and sell the phones and go back to mainstream GSM.

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

Happy New Year folks!!

Background: DW/I quit our jobs, purged our material possessions as documented in previous posts. Following update begins from the day our house sale was final which was sometime in August last year. I have listed links for convenience so you can spend more time browsing all day, while at work :lol:

We were racing against time on the day our house got recorded, which meant we were no longer homeowners and since we had not opted for a rent-back, we had to vacate the house that evening. Money from the home sale was already in the bank, soooo, we literally shoved whatever was left in the house into the car, loaded our bikes, and took one last picture in front of the house before starting the night drive towards Grand Canyon South Rim, which was ~750miles away. Sometime the next afternoon, as we got off to refuel at Needles, a border town in CA, we were greeted with the highest gas price at $4.299/gallon and highest temps at 118F/47.8C

Thus began our car tripping around the USA -- to visit friends, family, and most importantly visit major national parks around the country to bike, hike, camp, and be outdoors. There are few major destinations for outdoor lovers - Canada, Australia, NZ, parts of Europe, and USA -- we have been to all of these, and IMO, nothing beats USA in terms of sheer geological variations and beauty!!

NPS (National Park Service) annual pass which is ~$80 buys you a free entrance to all of USA national parks and national monuments. NPS has had sketchy past - allowing visitors to feed wildlife, killing off predators to show only cutesy animals etc. -- but in last 25+ years they seem to be doing pretty good job. If you have been to a privately managed cavern or a bridge etc. -- which is common in East coast -- you will appreciate the high quality of NPS efforts right away.

We have been to most of the national parks in the West coast, and since we were racing against the weather, we picked only the ones we really liked to see again. We had to eliminate most parks in Oregon and Washington either because we had already seen them, or there were wild fires and road closures.

Phase 1 of our trip looked like this

We reached South rim few hours before sunset, and we crashed early, and when woke up we knew a new chapter in our life had begun – no job, no house, and lots of free time! The ad I had seen at the previous rest stop was falling on deaf ears :lol:

Two popular spots in Grand Canyon are North rim and South. South rim is touristy, while North rim is remote, however both offer spectacular sunrise/sunset views of the canyons, opportunity to hike, and bike. Within a week or two we got conditioned to be outdoors all day long without feeling exhausted. After about 4 weeks, mild symptoms of RSI that I had from all day computer usage in last 20+ years had disappeared. At North rim we spent half a day emptying the car, indexing all the items, throwing away things that we could not donate in the last minute and giving away many items. The toilet paper bundle that we gave away to camp host appeared in the vault toilet the next day!

We had noticed lots of convertible cars in Grand Canyon campgrounds which was intriguing till a pattern emerged - they were mostly Europeans taking Las Vegas, SFO, Grand Canyon package; Whoever caters to this customer base must have peddled it as “living American dream” package except of course an American native will rarely do that in a convertible while in homeland :lol:

Our next drive was to Rocky Mountain national park in Colorado which is famous for its scenic alpine tundra, and must-drive Trail Ridge Road. Due to our camping location we got to drive it many times – a sheer pleasure! http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/t ... e_road.htm has more info and the road really has views as shown in NPS page. We also experienced our first cold weather camping at 31F/-0.6C in our three season tent – next morning we started digging out additional winter gear :roll:

En route to Glacier National Park in Montana, we stopped at Bozeman for couple days – it seemed like nice town to hang out for few months in summer/fall. Glacier National Park opens for only about 16 weeks in a year so it is packed even on most week days, and we lucked out by showing up there on the last week. Apparently the park had 150 glaciers a while ago, and currently there are 25, three of which are easily accessible. Scientists predict that by 2020 (revised estimate from previous year 2030), there might be no glaciers in the park – and I am guessing the name of the park would then be prepended with “No” :wink:

This park has a really cool sounding main road called “Going to the Sun” road – NPS link is http://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm, There is a famous Swiss chalet style lodge in the park and its winter care taker has a fascinating blog about caring for the Three Glacier Lodge http://www.mghwinterkeeper.com/

Next stop was Yellowstone – one of a kind in the world. This was our fifth visit, and it was still awesome to see the geysers, hot springs, mud pots, fumaroles etc. After a gap of 15 years, we hiked to Lone Star Geyser again, and witnessed its eruption. More at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lone_Star_Geyser and http://www.nps.gov/yell/index.htm

Elk rut was in season, and we could hear bugles all night from our campground https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rut_%28ma ... ion%29#Elk

Of all the wildlife we saw – mountain goats, bears, bison, condors etc. – this elk was noteworthy in that it was definitely wiser than most pedestrians in San Francisco :lol:

Next stop was Mount Rushmore. Pictures do not do justice to this monument -- its beauty is seeing it from proximity and the methods used to carve this – 90% carving was via dynamites! http://www.nps.gov/moru/index.htm

Rushmore visit was even more impressive in that we spotted birds which had better road sense than most drivers/pedestrians of NYC :lol:

We were at Badlands National Park, and we noticed our car was swarmed with literally hundreds of flies, many yellow jackets, and other insects. That evening we witnessed the same episode with our tent. So, I called the previous private campground where we had stayed and they mentioned that the sap from the Oak tree soaking our car/tent was the culprit – which they had conveniently forgot to mention when we checked-in. There was no carwash nearby (50 miles away), so we spent next few days washing the car/tent with water, fighting with the rest of the bug crowd, and after 3-4 washes, both tent and car were bug-free. From then on, I always had few more questions before booking a campsite :roll:

Badlands was barren and just as amazing to bike and drive around http://www.nps.gov/badl/index.htm

Nearby Minuteman Missile control center (which is a 30ft underground bunker) and the Missile Silo (which is a deactivated missile on a display) located few miles away were pretty interesting from the dick-waving-cold-war-days perspective. Apparently, during cold war era, only USA and Soviet Union had more nuclear power than South Dakota – an odd thing to be proud about for South Dakota that does not follow Daylight savings in the name of “tradition” :roll:

This mural was done in early 90s after Soviet bloc fell when folks probably had more relaxed rectal muscles

The missile silo site audio tour claims that if the missile control center fails to launch missiles because the bunker has been destroyed, the missile could be launched from a fighter jet flying nearby. More at: http://www.nps.gov/mimi/index.htm

BTW, the location of the missile silo is very descriptive, you can’t miss it!

And the Missile that could have killed my sabbatical

To be continued..

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

After visiting few friends along the way after Badlands, we drove hotshot to Acadia National Park. This was our first national park in the East and the park was very different from what I am used to all these years where entering a NP is like entering Jurassic Park – you are in the park when you enter till you exit – while Acadia is a loose collection of interspersed private and public land, and you will be traveling in and out of these NP/non-NP regions; with a slightly complex loop road (one-way in few places, and specific exits/entry points to get in/out of the park), it took us bit to get used to it. Acadia has a good network of chariot roads which is great for leisurely biking, and Maine coastline/lighthouses are beautiful. Its highest point is Cadillac Mound (official name is Cadillac Mountain, elevation ~1500ft), named after a French scoundrel -- I suggest you stay away if you are afraid of heights!

Mountains of East coast are older than West and have eroded, so to me most parks East of Dakotas were kinda boring, however since we were visiting friends along the way, it worked out fine. When there is a thick book titled National Parks of the West and there is no Eastern counterpart, and that itself is a giveaway!

Next stop was NYC and the roads that I had to drive around in NYC were the absolute worst that I encountered in my whole trip, and my bike rack probably got stress tested beyond its design limits, and once we were out of NYC I dismantled/reassembled the whole bike rack. Our family in NYC parked their super expensive car in the street so we could park our jalopy in their garage so its pwecious contents could be safe, and I was relieved that their car was not broken into.

Well, no visit to Lancaster County in Pennsylvania is complete without a picture of this town.

Amish self-reliance and communal living is pretty badass if you discount for their refusal to accept Evolution (so, no science is taught in school), and their obsession with jesus-lovin – well, many need their sunday-sermon-fix to live a disciplined life I suppose.

We visited Shenandoah National park since it was the gateway to Blue Ridge parkway DW wanted to spend a week driving the parkway so we did a slow ~80 mile per day drive to see some interesting parts of Appalachia – grist mills, blue grass music history, craft expos, mining history around North Carolina area, a field exhibit on design choices made to build Linn Cove Viaduct. In the fall season trees along the whole 450mile drive display impressive colors that are fun to watch. Supposedly, it’s called Blue Ridge Parkway because of the blue streak that one can be seen along the ridge. You can see it along the most mountain ridges everywhere else too.

End of the Blue Ridge Parkway connects to the Great Smoky Mountain National Park – the busiest NP in the USA with around 6M visitors per year. The park is beautiful with its mountains almost looking like a bouquet of flowers with all the fall colors. I had always wondered what made this park the busiest in the nation (there is nothing special about this park – unlike Grand Canyon or Yellowstone etc. which are almost one of a kind in the world) and I think I found the answer when I was there. First off, the entry to park is free – State of Tennessee handed over the park road - which was a state highway – to NPS on the condition that no toll should be charged to access it. So, the visitors to this park are predominantly locals and East Coasters unlike other busy parks where people flock from all around the world. Also, the park road is the primary route to surrounding tourist towns like Gatlinburg and amusements like Dollywood. The vehicle and visitor counting is done by an automated system at the park entrance only, so essentially, the park gets the (dubious) distinction of being the busiest!

Mammoth Caves in Kentucky is the longest cave in the world and we took the 4 hour tour where you walk around 3-4 miles and climb up and down 2-3 mountains – and during the whole time you are in the cave! I have seen few caverns before but this was the most impressive!

Many had suggested us to visit Charleston, South Carolina, but we had to cancel it due to floods situation there, and instead we ended up in beautiful Savannah, Georgia. If you happen to be there consider trying delicious lunchand decadent dessert

As we were driving towards Everglades National Park in south Florida, we noticed more highway patrol along I-95 than our entire USA trip combined -- it was either cars being pulled over or swarm cops with speed guns in stealth – either way drivers didn’t seem to give a shit. On top of that, there were these billboards all over that could not wait to smear you with some of their religious passion. One billboard posted a picture of cute baby propounding “my heart beats after 14 days” (if the baby looks that cute after 14 days, I will be all for saving it), another billboard declared “oh, yeah, hell is real” and suggesting to call some 800 number, and yet another one proclaiming “in the beginning the god created” ad nauseam. Not sure what is going on Florida, or if it has anything to do with the previous reign of a Texas chimpanzee – for me it felt like traveling to some crazy part of Middle East.

Everglades, which gets its name from endless grassy fields (glade) on a sheet of water, has spectacular bird and reptile population not normally found in western USA. In midst of this beauty lurk two dangers – first, black vultures which could chew car wiper blades or worse, the weather strip of vehicles -- so better park your cars away from the trees. And then mosquitoes, no-see-ums bit us constantly, and insect repellant was of limited use as it got washed away with sweat. We had been camping in all kinds of weather from 120F to 29F since our trip began and after two days in Everglades, we bowed out to these bugs and took refuge in a hotel for the rest of our stay, and it took almost a week to recover from these bites even with cortisone cream. There is even warning at the campground asking to pay for only one-night-at-a-time so you can make an informed decision every morning. Campervan would be a great solution in this area. We really liked the park and the Key Lime milkshakes nearby.

After few more stops, we landed in New Orleans, and in the history of Louisiana, you will hear the name of Cadillac again as he was the governor here for a while. Insectarium is pretty cool and we spent the whole day watching all kinds of beetles/moths/butterflies. I learned that fire ants are mighty – in human terms, they can carry the weight of a car for 10 miles and they do it day after day! Insectarium has a Bugcafe where one can try dishes with crickets, waxworms etc – and DW took her revenge on bugs buy trying out all the dishes, and as I am not so adventurous when it comes to food that I was just busy taking pictures of her munching on crickets, waxworms etc.

New Orleans city park is one of the oldest and one of the biggest parks in the country – we spent entire day biking around. It even has a 24 hour café called “Morning Call” and is a great place to chill out.

While walking around in French quarters, we bumped into Pepper Palace to try two of their hottest offerings – Death by Salsa and Flashbang – and we were there the next day for seconds :lol: if you can take the heat and don’t mind signing waivers, it’s a great way to test your limits!

Somewhere along the way, the bike rack was leaning too far back, only to find that its structural integrity had been compromised, and I had to resort to redesigning by cutting a square hole on the gusset plate so it would sit securely on the hitch receiver bar, and few other things so I could make it back home. The company sent me a beefier model for free, even though the rack I had bought had mostly positive reviews. DIY skills came handy to say the least.

After few more stops, it was time to visit family in Texas; along the way we visited The Alamo while in San Antonio. Here is the Alamo story: Once upon a time not too long ago, Texas was big, barren and ugly land (just like today), and, back then it was part of Mexico; Mexico thought it would be nice to have it inhabited, so they asked American colonists to inhabit the land, and pretty soon it was over populated with colonists, and Mexico felt the Texas was getting too Americanized (not sure what “Americanized” meant in those days – may be it meant too much alcohol, guns and talking super-loud in public places -- just like today), so Mexico closed its borders to prevent further American immigration!! (what a reversal of fortune). That and few other things led colonists of Texas wanting independence from Mexico, which led Mexican army to show up and decimate ~300 of these patriots-for-hire as most these were not even natives of America let alone Texas (I spotted Germany, Ireland among other places where these thrill seekers came from). It was a WTF moment to learn that the major hobby of the British singer Phil Collins was to collect the memorabilia of this trivial BS history.

We chilled out for a few days at South Padre Island, biking, walking along the beach, and catching up on our TBDs. That and family time are the only highlights of our stay in Texas. Bigbend and Balmorea are a OK, but I couldn’t wait to GTF out of TX. We listened to many popular songs about California as we entered CA, and it was an awesome feeling to be back!

I have already spent time exploring and driving around 40+ countries in six continents over last 15 years. Even though I never opted for a package trip, I, like anyone else started my travels as a novice, but started gaining expertise with each trip. The more countries I visited, the more I could connect the dots when it came to history, food, music, and politics. Social interaction is the highlight for my travels and the thing that I most enjoy is uncovering the “undocumented reality” not the “museum version” of history. I wish more countries talk openly about the atrocities that they have descended upon many. For all the marketing that western Europe does to make one think how “cultured” they are, I hope they spend a fraction of time in educating how for a long time they have fucked over Roma people, Jews, running “extortion society” – UK, France, and Netherlands were first rate thieves stealing shit from around the world, while Spain and Portugal were probably the worst – not just stealing shit, but mass converting the whole region to yet another stupid religion. Same story with Aboriginals/Maori in AU/NZ and rest of the world. Even some of the paintings are laughable Mr. Blownapart and his mom.

I have enjoyed many science/technology museums in Europe, USA, however, for me, the best travels are related to nature. There is not a thing comparable to what nature puts out, and I am glad we did the USA tripping. All said and done, it was 20k miles, 4+ months, and mostly camping! Highly recommended!

Even with mostly highlights, this journal entry is already too long -- I am happy to have gotten it out of the way, so I can take rest of the year off from updating this journal.

Good luck and cya in December!

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 »

Update after little more than 1.5 years post-exit

While we were still working, our projected SWR was 1.8%. This was based on our estimated selling price of the house an year before we sold it. Surprisingly, the property prices jumped up quite a bit in Bay area from 2014 to 2015, so our selling price went up by around 13% in an year. We could have made more money if we had sold last year; but that extra money wouldn’t be worth the wait even if I there is an option to relive it.

Also, while road-tripping the USA, I happened to notice that the stocks of two companies I was holding had jumped up quite a bit due to some acquisition rumor (and some irrationality), so I dumped my entire portfolio that night. This was sheer luck as I was rarely online and had not logged in for 10 weeks.

Above events further reduced my SWR, and based on my (almost) two year post-exit expenses, I am at 0.8%, but for all practical purposes I would say it is 1% SWR. I would stop reporting on SWR from now on, as anything below 2% is mostly about chest-thumping IMO, here is me doing it once :roll:

My IRA to Roth conversion max is $45k per year minus any interest/dividend income –- I do the conversion during last week of December, and I did it for the first time last year. I plan to convert max 50% of IRA portfolio to Roth, and keep other 50% as tax-deferred, for strategic tax leverage. In CA, the total tax burden for $45k is 15%, and it will be 13% if I move to a state without state tax. I found that converting every $5k after $45k will cost upwards of 30% in tax burden and for me it made no sense. My SWR does not include tax burden as the conversion is a discretionary event even though we have already allocated tax burden money for next few years.

In few months, it will be 2 years since I last worked, and both DW and I seem to have transitioned to our new life really fast -- as if it was just another day of the week. I rarely ruminate about work, and when I do, I still get a rush just thinking about all the different roles I was able to dabble in just to quench my insatiable curiosity while getting paid by the corporate. Eventually there are no fun to be had, so exit was the right move.

I feel no obligation to reveal my retirement situation during my interaction with society, and typically I try to answer something like “I am in between jobs” to strangers and the party line for most of my friends is that “I am taking few years off”. We feel fortunate to have very supportive family and friends and on many occasions we have spent time working on their house projects, so it has gone both ways.

Our travels (typically 2-3 months at a time) are going great! DW and I have an arrangement where we spent large part of the year together and rest of the year apart. This allows us to enjoy each other’s company while pursuing our separate interests as well. All in all, I am immensely grateful and humbled by how things have turned out so good for us. I wish you all the same good things!