ERE Goals and Fear

Where are you and where are you going?
Matthew

Post by Matthew »

@George
I agree with the can do divide and conquer. However, there is no end to the caution possibilities. Sometimes, people just have to live the way they want and deal with the possible consequences at a later date. Most problems are solved as they come for people and not before "with the exception of most of us:)" We are all gonna die!

A Brit

Post by A Brit »

@TheDude
That's exactly it. Financial analysis and strategy only partly addresses the fear. I (probably) have enough loot stashed away to do the frugal ER thing but I still can't quite bring myself to hand in my notice just yet. In my case, I suspect it comes from having lived in the same house and working for the same employer since I left uni 20 years ago (which is also why it would (probably) be good for me to do it. Change is scary.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

In days past you either had money to make money (investing) or you had a solid job to make your living (working). The scheme of ERE or maybe even "Later ERE" is to (a) Get money (b) Put money in a position to care for your living costs, hopefully forever.

ERE or LRE (see above) is dependent on wise, educated moves with the money you have.

Then when you have your investments set, the adults begin to throw crap in the game like Subprime meltdowns and Commercial real estate failures, foreclosures, multi-trillion dollar deficits and grossly high unemployment, and recessions. Us, the little people, are yo-yo'd around within the doing of the Big Bankers who control 90 percent of everything. The corporates make the decisions, the government fights the wars costing trillions, and once again you are a little fish swimming in a big ocean. Yes, the adults would prefer you just take a tighter grip on your oar, and keep rowing till you die and stay out of this trying to go your own way.

BUT the ERE or LRE (see above) that lurks within us is fighting the system by carving our own pumpkin.

It boils down to someone deciding it is time for a better way. And that way is to ditch the Nine to Five. Ditch the high income taxes, ditch the over-consumption.

A great deal can be learned by studying the effects of the Great Depression. What can be learned is that you don't want to be in one. In this, in today's chance taking, you may be able to either avoid it, or cushion yourself against it.