the animal's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Kriegsspiel

Re: the animal's journal

Post by Kriegsspiel »

suomalainen wrote:
Sat Jul 20, 2019 3:21 pm
Forget Utah. Too many mormons and unlike other religious chicks, mormon chicks are...not the chicks you're looking for. Or maybe the non-mormon m/f ratio is good?
His point, in the podcast at least, was that Utah Mormons have a skewed sex ratio which leads to female Mormons doing their best to be attractive to males.

Jason

Post by Jason »

In the Jeffs household, that was called "getting ready for dinner."

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Ah. Presumably that does not include jettisoning the mormonism...which would make them most attractive to males. Or at least @theanimal.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I appreciate all the replies and feedback. tried to get my mind right since that first post and did a ~48 hr fast to clear things up a bit. That post was admittedly off character as suo stated and coming from a moment of weakness. My day to day isn't to the point where I'm moping around bemoaning my current state. Most days are pretty good and I may think about wanting a GF or desiring someone else for just brief moments here and there. When I'm alone for extended periods, that's when I start to get down. It's something I've been working on mitigating and dealing with since living in the cabin but I still have some work to do to avoid those patterns that lead me down the slippery swamps of sadness.

I have come to the similar conclusions as 7w5 did in her post. I don't think living in Thailand full time suits who I am or what I find particularly interesting. That being said, I wouldn't rule off an extended visit as somewhat of a test run. Making the full time move there doesn't sit well at the moment. There's too much that I want to do here. I'm not really into the idea of finding super religious girls either. I do acknowledge the point that currently I'm at a serious disadvantage in terms of the m/f ratio. I did like that podcast @kspiel linked to and find it to hold true for my current area. There is almost 0 hook up culture and it is very monogamous. In terms of moving, I still don't have strong desires yet to leave Alaska, instead potentially moving to Anchorage at some point in the future. It's no Utah or Thailand but it is a much larger market than Fairbanks and much more of an urban area. We'll see though, still in the early stages of the thought process with this one.

Jason

Post by Jason »

What you are really talking about here is a mail order bride without an explicit transaction. Men have found that moving to the originating country is a better methodology as opposed to the woman moving to the destination country because its more economical and its better for the woman to remain in her culture. It actually increases the chances that the marriage will be successful. I had a "friend" who had his bride come to America and it was a nightmare for him. He was essentially her get out of jail free card. That's the risk you take. It's better to be the hen in the chicken house than to bring a chicken into a hen house.

I understand that the Animal's issue is purely demographics and under normal conditions this wouldn't be a problem. If you can say "I can fly an airplane" but cannot in turn get laid, extenuating circumstances have to be in play. Everyone knows chicks dig pilots. Thinking upon that, isn't Russia an option? One thing Sarah Palin taught the world is that its close to Alaska. Although I guess you have to consider the source.

Suo obviously knows about Mormon girls so you have to value his opinion. But my thought was, based on their specific religious upbringing, you could marry a group of them and over time, pick your favorite one. Assuming other men in the region have the same problem as you, they will be a valuable commodity and you could trade them for I don't know, pelts or plane fuel or whatever resources are of similar value up there. I have to think other civilizations developed in this manner considering mankind's overall depravity. Puts a new spin on Alaska pipe line come to think of it. And I would think they would more easily acclimate to the Alaska tundra than Taiwanese women being that they are used to wearing long, denim dresses and not opposed to churning butter and engaging in other types of harsh and challenging environment activities.

ffj

Post by ffj »

@Jason

Holy shit, that last paragraph. :lol:

Jason

Post by Jason »

Factoring in take off landings (including three stops for refueling) my calculations show that a Cessna 182 can travel from Utah to Alaska in approx. 20 1/2 hours holding four people, three passengers. I'm thinking weight capacity could be an issue with the Alaska men as I imagine them to be a hearty bunch, so maybe you're down to three under certain circumstances. The Animal solves not only his problem but through the exchange of resources scarce to two communities, develops a side hustle that could turn into a sustainable business.

I'm thinking "Big Love Airline."

suomalainen

Post by suomalainen »

Yeah, let's just say that mormon girls are not like mormongirlz. And as for butter churning and denim dresses, maybe in the south of UT, but not in Salt Lake.

ZAFCorrection

Post by ZAFCorrection »

Late to the party, but having spent a few years dating in SLC as a non-Mormon, it's kind of a shit show here. Unless you are dealing with someone who has a foot outside the church (usually associated with religion/life burnout), you aren't going to have a chance with Mormon women. The LDS culture particularly and the Salt Lake area generally is also pretty staid; adults here still think knock-knock jokes are funny for instance.

Salt Lake also seems to attract more than its fair share of free spirit/alternative lifestyle types, so there might be more chance to find a woman who would be cool with ERE. Though, in my experience, the people are mostly just outdoorsy burnouts with no money or plan.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Fitness has been a really big part of my life the past 3 years. I've exercised regularly (5-6 days a week) for over a decade now but it took on a greater importance when I lived in the Arctic and had a lot of time on my hands. There's almost no words to describe the amount of pleasure I have in building a system (my body) that can do whatever I challenge it with. Stuff that makes almost all other people sore has no effect on me and I can do whatever I want without worrying if I'm physically ready for it or have to plan in advance. The mental hardness that comes from doing hard things and constantly conditioning is also a major component. Both in improving my day to day attitude/mood and when it comes to dealing with situations that have a lot of variables. And getting a feeling of winning something for the day certainly doesn't hurt matters.

Recently, I've been really into the Keith Weber's kettlebell training program and incorporating that into other things I do. Challenges are nice too in the fact that it enforces discipline and keeps things fresh. I had a hard time last year with maintaining the level of fitness I wanted to while working in the field. This year is completely different. Mainly due to doing more work with kettlebells. However, I also challenged myself to do 100 burpees (actual w/ push up) every day for the entirety of the field season (I think I started a week and a half late). I haven't been perfect so far, missing 7 days out of the past 51, meaning I've done 4500 burpees over the past ~7 weeks. I have exactly one month and ideally 3000 burpees to go... Another thing my roommate and I have done is institute a toll for every time we enter/leave our living quarters (RV). The toll is 5 pull ups. This is more recent but has resulted in at least an additional ~40-50 pull ups a day. All in all, I'm fairly pleased with my fitness levels this summer, they are not ideal, but far from poor or lacking.

If anyone has any suggestions for challenges or anything of the sort please do not hesitate to reply! Always interested in trying something new.

FBeyer

Post by FBeyer »

With a fitness record like that, I am hesitant to suggest anything at all.
The first thing that always comes to mind is The Secret Service Snatch Test.
200 kettlebell snatches, for time, with a 24kg, 10 minutes. But you are probably waaaaay beyond that at this point in time :D

C40

Post by C40 »

theanimal wrote:
Wed Jul 17, 2019 6:20 pm
.....My nagging feeling is that I'm not taking enough action.
That's probably right.

For some folks, relationships just happen. You see some cute girl at the grocery store smile at you.... You meet a friend of a friend and... and so on. For some, like me, that happens infrequently. Even if you're the kind of person where that does happen sometimes, it's basically not going to happen in Alaska. (I just looked up the female:male ratio and it's not as crazy as I expected - 100:~109. Thought it was much wider. Anyway, if it's not happening, it's not happening)

For other folks - most folks - especially now that so many fewer people are matching up through the old normal ways (through friends, family, being neighbors, et - see this chart. I bought some MTCH stock recently in large part because I saw this, and it went up like 20% already) - you have to actively work for/pursue relationships

Talk with your friends about what they have actually done to get partners. When folks say "it just happened", ask them more specific questions about
the partners they've met that way, about their behavior in public, about how they talk with strangers and new friends, etc. Also focus on the answers from those who made specific and focused efforts in order to get partners.

For me personally, my ratio of first dates to first dates that spawned a serious romantic relationship is probably somewhere over 50:1. And that's women that I actually go out with, not all the cute ones at the grocery store and so on.

C40

Post by C40 »

funny that I linked the same chart as Ego...

A girl I dated last week is moving to Thailand this fall, and that got me wondering about going there myself (not in order to spend time with the girl, that's just where the thought came from). I'm thinking it'd be cool to go there for a while before I buy a house in the U.S. and settle down more permanently. I'm not sure if it matches up well enough with my desires for certain projects/hobbies and for establishing my own domain/home. But if I'm going to go at some point, it feels like now is the time. If somehow we both end up going, we could be ERE Thailand bros.

If you're really serious about finding "the one" to have forever, I wouldn't recommend searching among foreigners. If your goal is to bring back a woman to marry and if you'd feel it a failure if that doesn't go well, it mostly likely won't be worth it.

Going to Asia would be good and easy practice in meeting women, dating, starting relationships, etc. Maybe do go if you feel like a change of scenery, like for sure having one or a few girlfriends, like living in a hot and humid place, and so on...

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

FBeyer wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 12:28 pm
... The Secret Service Snatch Test.
200 kettlebell snatches, for time, with a 24kg, 10 minutes. But you are probably waaaaay beyond that at this point in time :D
Thanks! That's great. I did it this morning with my 16kg, when I get home I'll have to try it with my 27 kg. I'm feeling a bit uncertain about my chances with the higher weight.. We'll see.

bigato wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:03 pm
I'd have some challenges, but they would involve going beyond this current paradigm which you seem to have mastered pretty well. Likely requiring other skilled people which may not be so easily found around there. For example: can you, relying on strength and fitness alone, take a judo practitioner to the ground? Get someone who has at least one or two years of practice. Can you stay on your feet with them on the tatami for 5 minutes, resisting their attempts?
This is a major weakness of mine and has been nagging at me for a while. I'm planning on starting BJJ next month.

C40 wrote:
Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:06 pm

For some folks, relationships just happen.
Yeah that happens infrequently to me as well. In the past I've had to put in work to build any relationships and Alaska puts me at a disadvantage for doing that. The ratio increases the farther north you go. For the area I'm at it's 118 M- 100 F. The dating apps don't offer much up here due to all the competition. Women have their pick of the best and receive magnitudes more messages. There isn't much of a public nightlife here either. The culture here tends towards private gatherings/potlucks at homes and outdoor activities. So ya, low supply and high demand. Price is through the roof.

I have one friend who was in my situation not too long ago. He was single and struggling to find someone up here. He felt so lonely up here that there were a few nights he'd break down crying as he was washing his dishes. He's now very happily engaged to one of my other good friends. He empathizes with me and is constantly trying to help out whether its suggesting things to do or just telling me to come over anytime I want. I guess we haven't talked about specifics. I recall most of his advice being just to continue putting myself out there.

I agree with what you've said about finding someone long term in Thailand. It seems like there are too many hoops to jump through if you find "the one" there. That said, it would be an interesting place to explore a completely opposite dynamic and have a great opportunity to practice building relationship skills. I'm still on the fence about it. Let me know if you decide to go. I'm all for starting an ERE Thai bro gang.

frihet

Post by frihet »

theanimal wrote:
Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:32 pm
If anyone has any suggestions for challenges or anything of the sort please do not hesitate to reply! Always interested in trying something new.
This won’t help with the lack of women obviously but it has a chance of putting out another vibe around them. A vibe that hopefully takes you out of the friend zone.

I’m sorry if this suggestions sounds woo woo or is out of order. I posted it to TopHatFox once and he thought it was black magic. But as you like physical challenges maybe this practice actually would be a good fit for you.

The word power was mentioned in the thread somewhere, yes power is sexy, but there is more power in this world than the worldly one. How about cultivating your sexual spiritual power?

Living in Alaska I’m sure you have heard about The Wim Hof method? His method is good but somewhat watered down to be safer for the mass market. What he leaves out is something as simple as ”bandha” yogic muscular locks.

Everything is written out clearly in this manual. But be careful I have trouble practicing this method myself as I get heart burn something the text warns about. So be careful and don’t bring too much of the male achieving ego into the practice.

http://alayapragmatica.blogspot.com/201 ... tummo.html

Another simple technique is the the yogic meditation posture called “siddhasana” the seat of the perfected one...you simply sit with your heal in your perineum. Works best if you are also mindful about how often you ejaculate. Don’t be completely celibate but let the energy build between every emptying out. Try to make the energy go upwards instead and ooze out of every pore of your body.

https://www.aypsite.org/75.html

Or just go to Thailand. The simplest option ;)

Ego

Post by Ego »

.... which reminds me. Pass Thailand and go directly to Ubud. A while ago I posted the results of a count I did while standing in front of a store in Ubud waiting for Mrs. Ego. I can't seem to find it. I counted western men vs western women passing on the sidewalk. The numbers were so skewed I was shocked. Way more women than men. Keep in mind that many are there practicing yoga at The Yoga Barn so you are sure to meet a lot of characters. I bought a monthly membership at one of the gyms and there was a good number of strong women hogging the squat rack and the ergs so I'm sure you will do well.

C40

Post by C40 »

Bali looks nice, and it seems to be 'Land of the fit yoga ladies focused on self-actualization' (or... in the middle of a mid-life crisis).

But, from what I can tell so far, visa considerations are more limiting than Thailand. One can basically stay for 60 days without leaving by getting a 30-day and then renewing for another 30. It seems possible to get a 60-day, which can be renewed something like 1-3 times (for 30 days each). From what I can tell, getting a 60-day is unlikely(?). Being on an island, the whole 'cross the border and come right back to get another 30-day visa' thing seems much less do-able there to me. (?? - I'm not so sure about this as I've only spent a bit of time just now reading about it)

Personally, I'd like to be able to live in one place for 6 months or more. Is Bali a decent options for that? Other places?

Ego

Post by Ego »

@C40, yeah that's about it. You can get the 60 day Indonesian visa in Bangkok and renew it a few times (up to 6 months) using an agent in Bali. Even with an agent the renewal process is a bit of a pain in the ass the first time but is easier after that. The flights between Bangkok and Denpasar (Bali) are really cheap so you can try both and stay longer in the one you like.

frihet

Post by frihet »

@Ego interesting am seeing a middle age shakti queen of a yoga teacher right now, the best .....ever, amazing amounts of bliss are being generated between us and guess where she will be going this winter for teacher’s training, of course Bali.

If I may ask what kind of budget did you have in Bali?

@C40 India gives 6months visas, not good for hooking up with local ladies. But if your into the hippie crowd and adventures backpackers, or dope smoking Israelis, there are plenty at the right places. It’s also more of a continent than a country with diversity mountain’s djungle and beaches. Of course it also quite chaotic and dirty and crowded so it’s not for everyone. But there is defiantly possible to find beautiful more quite places and it is cheap.

C40

Post by C40 »

Thanks guys. I might start a new thread about this (or find/resurrect one) - to ask questions of those who have good knowledge to share on Asia..