the animal's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
theanimal

Re: the animal's journal

Post by theanimal »

I know its commonplace for tribes to evaporate as time goes on but perhaps I hold out hope because I see people up here and others online who have been able to maintain these relationships throughout adulthood. Often they seem to center on one specific activity. For example, there's one guy up here that I've looked up to as one of the top adventurers within the state. He's about 10 yrs my senior and thrives in the outdoors with other people. He's been able to make it work having these groups of friends/acquaintances go on trips year after year. We've talked about it before and he definitely has the advantage of living in a more populated area than I do. I think some other components are helping others and waving your flag loudly. It does seem far more likely to maintain some form of tribe if there is a continual activity/event/thing to bond over rather than the normal situation for most in heading out drinking on the weekends. That part makes sense why it would decline with age.

@bigato- I don't think you are far off. I find it harder to connect with other people on a long term basis than what it appears for most people. I hold some irrational stigma against seeing a therapist, but I'll consider seeing one. I do think it would help. Thanks.

@Cheepnis- It is odd and I've found the same to be true. Between living in the urban area I'm at now and when I was in the Arctic, there have been equivalent stretches of time with very minimal human interaction. In the Arctic, that eventually drove me to the brink of losing my mind, whereas here it's nowhere close to that. Even though my interactions might just be something basic like being in traffic, at the library or grocery checkout. I'm not saying it's a healthy practice or even sufficient for mental health, but even the act of just seeing people seems to have an effect.

@THF- Well, I don't smoke, drink or do drugs so perhaps plain old mental toughness. I do work out a lot which probably helps. But just because I'm not dating women doesn't mean I can't talk to them. Most of my close friends are women who I have no problem talking to. I do have a couple guys as well that I can talk to about anything. Everything that's been discussed in this journal has been discussed in real life with at least 1-2 other people.

@Halfmoon- Thank you! Always appreciate your comments. I'm not sure I understand your 2nd to last sentence. I think it's about exploring other places and then deciding based off a greater understanding? Most of the time I really am content here. I'd say it's somewhere in the range of 30% of days that I'm not. It's a stark contrast to when I was living further north where that number was probably greater than 80% and the level of discontentment was magnitudes worse. I don't think I'm that far off from achieving the life I want here with some minor changes. Maybe I'm being naive and stubborn again. IDK. I'll try to keep an open mind and what you said in mind going forward.

halfmoon

Re: the animal's journal

Post by halfmoon »

theanimal wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 3:18 pm

@Halfmoon- Thank you! Always appreciate your comments. I'm not sure I understand your 2nd to last sentence. I think it's about exploring other places and then deciding based off a greater understanding? Most of the time I really am content here. I'd say it's somewhere in the range of 30% of days that I'm not. It's a stark contrast to when I was living further north where that number was probably greater than 80% and the level of discontentment was magnitudes worse. I don't think I'm that far off from achieving the life I want here with some minor changes. Maybe I'm being naive and stubborn again. IDK. I'll try to keep an open mind and what you said in mind going forward.
@animal, I'm not sure I understand it either. :roll: I was trying to say (with no particular knowledge on my part) that you might, given your choices, be attracted to women with a spirit of adventure. Living in Alaska, while incredibly adventurous, is just one manifestation of that. If you step outside your own chosen adventure and try another, you might more easily find a soulmate to drag back to your cave. ;) Of course, there's always the chance that she'll drag you back to her cave, and you'll find yourself living in another place entirely. Such is the nature of adventure.