Rube's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
rube

Re: Rube's journal

Post by rube »

Ha, okay, another update hereby:

In September and October I had taken out everything from our attic: flooring, walls, old insulation, doors etc.. It fitted, after putting it with military precision (according the comments of DW) just in a 10CBM container. Now the rebuilding started and during the last 3 weeks I have finished the first layer of new insulation in the roof. This morning I calculated how much more I need for the 2nd layer for the roof and ordered it along with some other materials. I expect to install this 2nd layer this month. After this is done, the roof will have an have an average Rc value of 9.4(!). Which is about the level of the so called "passive house" technique.
After that's done, still maaaaaany more things to do at the attic: insulate the walls, electricity, change some pipes, add perhaps running water, flooring, some indoor walls, doors etc. And also many other things in other parts of the house. Actually, according a rough planning I made last week I will be busy for the next 12 months with this "house" project. But in a few months the attic is completely new/renovated and with this insulation value and mass it is hopefully year round comfortable and we have two nice new rooms, one bedroom and one guestroom.

In the mean time I am also looking to renew our current ventilation system to a system which includes a heat exchanger. The aim is to have a more energy efficient system, but also more healthy (better ventilation) and quiet. This system has a bad name with some people because in the early days some contractors installed it incorrectly leading it to a the opposite: more noise, bad air quality. So to make sure I'll avoid this, I still have to some some more research. I'm also looking to insulate our garage door. This is a big heat loss currently as the garage is indoors and the door is just plain steel. Since we're not using it as a garage to park the car, we just use it for the bikes, pantry storage, tools etc. we're using only the small door. So now I am thinking to remove some parts of tilt mechanism on the inside of the large door, so I can insulate the whole door with 16 cm of foam = Rd of 7.2. Adding some rubbers at the small door to make sure it's basically airtight, so that the the whole door should basically have Rc 7.2.
So far some house-project-details.

Lately I have a been walking more as I used to do. Not really a lot or far, just short hikes of 3-6 km and last Sunday up to 11 km. But the shoes I have are not intended for walking a lot outdoors, especially not through meadows on gravel/sand etc. So I did some research online in the last week and after I had ordered this morning the materials for the insulation, I jumped on my bike and went to a local store. They helped me well by explaining the differences, let me try all kind of different shoes. Without any pressure (which I absolutely hate). So I was pleased with the good help and information and I bought one pair of good hiking shoes which should last me many years. I think I have never paid so much for shoes, but I expect them to be worth it, i.e. BIFL. And while getting these shoes I biked 18 km. On the way back I picked up some fresh vegetables and I cooked dinner for the family (stir fry noodles with oyster sauce).

Tomorrow another work day. I'm slowly getting used to be okay with not answering all emails immediately. Mostly my work schedule is such that I work 1 (or 1/2) day and have 1 day off (or 1/2) day. On a typical work day, after 1 day off, I start the day with about 100 new emails in my inbox. This is excluding some newsletters, company updates etc. which are filtered to other folders automatically. I read, answer/archive about 70-80 emails in the first 1-2 hours. The remaining emails I try handle throughout the day. On most days I have also 3-4 calls (meetings) of 30-60 minutes with my team members or other departments. These working days are going fast.

Finances: I keep track of the expenses and updating the net worth. But basically all on auto pilot, all okay, nothing major to report.

DW is not super happy with her job and some time ago she thought to quit end this year. But now with working from home she's okay and she came up with the idea to maybe quit before summer and, if all possible again, go on a 6 week holiday when the kids have their summer holiday. I would still have to work some weeks parttime, but could easily do this while we're on vacation. This would be a good try-out for a possible 6-12 months trip the year after.

Be safe, till the next update.

Flurry

Post by Flurry »

Oh, nice to see someone from the Netherlands here. I also like your strategy of reducing working hours instead of working full time until you can pull the plug completely, that's what I want to do.
Keep up the good work!

rube

Post by rube »

We're very fortunate with having two healthy children who are doing well. It is interesting to see their development and personal interests. In the last few weeks: DD of 15 y/o scored C1 on her English test and DS of 12 y/o published his first songs on all major streaming services and almost finished reading "the art of happiness" from the Dalai Lama. Their interests, self discipline (finishing with cold water showers :shock:), getting up early, is remarkable when I compare them to myself when I was a teen (and even now) and I am proud on them (not only for their "achievements", but simply how they develop).
I am happy we can support them with their development and I need to remind myself to make sure to devote enough time and attention to them, as they still need it. And moreover, it is just another few years before they enter in adulthood and will likely find their own place to live etc.
Even if you're FI, time can't be bought.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Hi Rube, I read that you're a proud parent. And rightfully so. And it's true, if all goes well at some point in the not so far away future they will spread their wings and leave the nest. Enjoy it while it lasts, and hopefully you will also get to enjoy the next stages in their lives as they will keep sharing their development and accomplishments with you.