Meliora's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Hello all,
This is where I will keep my journal, keep track of my expenses and other goals. At first, it might be about rather 'simple' goals without much financial 'math'. However, as I progress and once I 'actually' start working (full-time), I hope this journal progresses as well.
But first things first; the bare basics:

First of all, I am not a real big earner. Not at all.

I am still a student and at the moment I am happy with every single penny (Euro, whatever) I can save with my part-time job(s). As such, this journal will be mostly about reducing expenses wherever possible. Also, I am looking to increase my (financial) knowledge, improve my health and overall ability to ‘make it on my own my own’ (DIY-skills, survival, changing my mind-set and so on).

Of course, I will try to look for ways to earn more and I will not be one to pass on an opportunity to earn more. However, during my study I do not expect to earn much more than I currently do, working 10-20 hours a week.

I no longer need to support my family with some extra money, which will hopefully help me to ‘steady’ my finances more.
The Situation (finances and living):

I currently live together with my partner in a 3-room apartment (kitchen-living room, bedroom, study/work-room). We share the rent and other living costs on a 1:2 ratio (somewhat similar our salary ratio, he works as a risk-manager). We share the grocery expenses on a 1:1 basis, just because.

I have a separate account on which I saved money for my study (fees, books and what-not) and currently have 3000 Euros in savings. The tuition fee for coming year has been paid already.

Other than for tracking my finances, I wish to use this journal to track my other goals and endeavors. I am aware that such goals might not be of interest to everyone here (then again, neither are my finances, I am sure :P) – but for me, these goals have everything to do with ERE.

These goals all fall within the broad categories of self-reliance, health and knowledge. I am pretty certain that some of my goals might not fit into just one category but I will try to stick to these categories to the best of my ability nonetheless.
Self –reliance/ Knowledge:

I think ‘knowledge’ and ‘self-reliance’ are seriously intertwined here. Heck, everything could be put under ‘self-reliance’ in a way, since that is part of what ERE is about: (financial) freedom.

Regardless: I want to improve my DIY skills and self-reliance. Whether through more simple things are cooking more meals more scratch and improving those skills to growing (more) vegetables, herbs and what-not myself.

I have tons of things and skills I want to do and (re)learn. So I need to make a plan first.
At this moment I am growing some herbs myself (basil, thyme, mint) and am experimenting with some veggies (jalapeno peppers and an odd experiment with bell peppers/ paprika which resulted in two plants with a cute little paprika). I am looking to improve the amount of food grown (most notably the herbs), but have limited space. I have my window-sills (lots of sun!) and my extremely humble balcony (1m2-ish?). I might be able to start gardening in the garden of a friend of us, who never bothered to do anything with his garden.
I also want to improve on my cooking skills. Make more with less and so on. Learn how to preserve food in various ways.

Experiment with DIY-shampoo and laundry-detergent.

Learn how to fix more things myself (again) and perhaps pick up a more serious craft and make some extra money on the side (even if it’s just a little).

And that’s probably just the tip of the iceberg. So, I need a plan.

For what it’s worth: I have already made a reading list and will pick at least 2 books which I plan to read every month. These books deal mostly with financial knowledge and changing your mindset – occasionally touching on other subjects as well (perma-culture, etc.) ‘Said list will be put in a separate post.
Health:

I wish to improve my health. The past couple of years have been rather stressful and I have gained the (un)necessary weight as a result of it. I have been working since December last year on my weight, but only got ‘really serious’ (watching my both my food and exercises) about it since four months or so.

I am 1m78 and weigh 83 kilo’s at the moment. I have lost 10kgs since December and am looking to lose another 8-13 kg. Mainly, I look to improve my overall fitness and health – also because of my asthma. So if I would weigh 80kgs with a much lower fat% and having a much better overall physical condition, I would be perfectly fine with that.

I go to the gym about 3 times a week. I do fitness/ weight-lifting for about 45mins to an hour, followed by interval cardio for 20-30 minutes. Warm-up and cooling-down are not included. If I can manage to go an extra day, I will usually do interval cardio (HIIT) for 30 mins or do a spinning class.

I have been tracking my weight, fat% and waist for at least two months now. I might add 'em in later for personal reference and additional motivation.
TLDR; Student, low-income.

Mostly looking to reduce expenses and become more self-reliant and knowledgeable in general (DIY, financial, etc.).

Will use this journal as a tracker for goals in these various areas.
Well, that was pretty much it. If you have any questions, suggestions and what-not, please ask and comment away. I am here to learn after all!

Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Reading
In the line of becoming more self-reliant: I want to read more again.

Nowadays, I notice I simply waste too much time watching TV or randomly browsing the Internet if I am not careful.

As such, I have compiled a list of books I want to have finished (re)reading by December 2013 latest.

This list is based on suggestions and earlier lists made by people on these forums and on the blog itself. Most of them are focused on finances, independence and acquiring a different mindset.

More books might appear on this list if they seem interesting enough (feel free to suggest them any time!) or when I make unexpected progress with reading.

Books for my (formal ;)) study are not included on this list.
The List:

- 7 Habits of highly successful people

- At home

- A short history of nearly everything

- ERE

- How to survive without a salary

- Holzer’s Permaculture

- How I became stupid

- How I won freedom in an unfree world

- How to lie with statistics

- How to win friends and influence people

- Living poor with style

- Man, Economy and State

- Meditation

- Merchants of Doubt

- No logo

- Rich dad, poor dad

- Shop Class as Soulcraft

- The 4-hour work week

- The art of keeping house

- Transition Towns Handbook

- Vagabonding

- Walden
And some Dutch books:

- Dat doen we zelf wel (book written by a mother of ten who describes her frugal family life)

- Je geld of je leven (Dutch PDF version of ‘Your money or your life’ )

- Moeten maakt gek (book about changing the way one thinks, most notably about avoiding doom-thinking)

- Wij zijn ons brein (book about the human brain and how it influences our daily life)
Personal Reminders:

Some threads on reading for additional inspiration from this forum and the blog itself:

viewtopic.php?t=2432

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/my-li ... books.html

http://earlyretirementextreme.com/a-sec ... books.html

Meliora

Post by Meliora »

Overview of August 2012 and To-Do-List for September.
The month of august was a somewhat odd (and expensive!) month. Yet I figured that this month was still as good a month as any to really start tracking my finances.
August 2012 Finances Overview (Euros)
Expenses:

- Housing (Rent) 180,00

- Food 135,00

- Health Insurance 121,00

- Gym 35,00

- Transport 42,00

- Cell Phone 18,00

- Personal Care & Clothing 230,00

- Gifts 50,00

- Books & Magazines 35,00

- Donations 48,00
Total Expenses:

Income:

- Salary 1225,00

- Zorgtoeslag* 70,00

- Refund** 135,00
Total Income:

* I have no clue on how to translate this one to English but it is some sort of ‘governmental support’ related to one’s health insurance. Since health insurance is mandatory here, the government has decided to support lower incomes (including students like me) with a small monthly compensation.

** Return on service costs paid on my former apartment last year.
Notes on Expenses:
- The Personal Care and Clothing was exceptionally high this month due to the wedding. As a bridesmaid we paid for our own outfits. I also went to the hairdresser for 20.00 Euros. I have my hair cut around 3 times per year.

- Gifts were also higher than usual due to said wedding.

- Books & Magazines will mostly go down to almost 0 from now on due an incoming library membership. I also expect to receive at least some books/ gift cards specifically for books for my birthday (in September). I might rename this category 'Entertainment'.

- Donations were also slightly higher than usual, but I mind this extra ‘expense’ less than others.

- My Transport/ Travel expenses are train-tickets only. I have thought about biking to my University/ work, but it would take me 1.5 - 2hours. I am contemplating to occasionally 'split' the ride, biking to Uni/ work and going back by train and the next day, going by train and returning home by bike.
Notes on Income:

My salary is rather high this month because I finally received my pay for a previous month. Said month had been ‘lost’ in the system due to system-chaos when my contract was renewed.

Usually my salary is at least 500 Euros, but rarely exceeds 700.
To-do-list in September:

- Read ‘Je Geld of je leven’ (Dutch PDF version of ‘Your Money or your life’)

- Read ‘The 4-Hour Work Week’

- Trace all my expenses and income (partner will do the same)

- Trace all my yearly memberships/ expenses

- Buy no books or magazines

- Bake at least one bread myself

- Cook a meal all by myself at least once a week (usually meals are joint efforts)

- Continue going to the gym at least 3 times per week

- Round up at least 1 bag of stuff (books, clothing, etc.) for goodwill or sale

TravelingTrader

Post by TravelingTrader »

I can recommend following books from your list:
- Rich dad, poor dad

- The 4-hour work week

- Vagabonding
read them myself. (Several times)

Very pleased with the results in my life.
Read "Your money or your life"
Edit:

Yes, "Dale Carnegie" of course.

But than also add "Napoleon Hill" to the list.

C40

Post by C40 »

You also might like to read "How I won freedom in an unfree world" by Harry Browne. His Libritarianism doesn't fit well with everyone, but even when it doesn't his advice is very good.
And "How to win friends and influence people", Dale Carnigie, is good also.
Neither of these books are specifically about personal finance. The Harry Browne book is relevant in that it has advice that will apply to taking actions that are quite different than most. The Dale Carnigie book has good advice on how to get long with people while working, and how to build social capital outside of work.

Meliora

Post by Meliora »

@ TravelingTrader: thank you for the recommendations. They are most welcome as its always good to know that other people were (also) enthusiastic about specific books. The 4-hour work week is on the reading list for September (actually I hope to start this week), as is the Dutch and slightly adapted version of YMOYL.
@C40: added both books to the list. I have heard good things about Carnigie's book from friends as well and I like the description of Harry Browne's. I actually enjoy reading books which might be outside my usual thinking scheme (often much more instructive for exactly that reason).
Thank you both again! I'd better start adding 'watch less/ no TV' to my list for September (and the rest of the time): more reading time for all those books! ;)

Meliora

Post by Meliora »

So, September was quite a hectic month and I have been far less active on this forum than I'd liked to have been.
However, having celebrated my birthday for family and work (for friends in October), having been ill for about a week, finally got myself a decent direction and inspiration for my study and even more so, a future job – it was quite the month. Not to mention the fact that I traveled all over the country (whatever that means given our country’s rather humble size) and had an usual large amount of friends and family over/ visited them in return. Phew.
But first things first, the finances:

Expenses (in Euros):

- Rent: 180

- Insurance: 120

- Groceries: 155

- Gym: 35

- Cell: 20

- Transport: 80*

- Donations: 45

Total: 635

*including 50 Euro for my yearly renewal of a reduction card for public transport

Income (in Euros):

- Salary: 700

- Other: 140

Total: 840

Saved: 205 Euro
Comments: I was actually happy with my groceries because they included some plants (strawberries, lemon balm and parsley) and a fair amount of dried lentils and dried beans. I also bought some extra supplies for birthday cakes and pies.

I think the costs remained ‘okay’ because I tried paying for everything in cash (becoming more aware of the costs) and because I truly used whatever leftover we had this month. Also, tracking down everything really helps. If you know you have to write your expenses down after buying them, you will be less tempted to buy junk food (cookies, chips, etc.) in general. That is, I was.

The transport costs were pretty fair this month as well (I did not manage to bike yet, but it might be coming) seeing how the yearly cost is incorporated in them.
As for my goals:
Tracking yearly expenses (expenses that return only once a year and not on a monthly or other basis):

- Magazines/ Memberships: 90 Euros

- Donations (monthly not included) 50 Euros

I have analyzed these and decided that for now, I do not wish to cut any of my yearly Magazines/ Memberships since a lot of them have something to do with perma-culture and self-sustainability. I do not mind supporting these organizations one bit :)
The tracking of all expenses was pretty useful as well! My partner still has to round up his part, but I managed to scribble each and every single purchase down for September. Tracking those expenses really helps!
Not buying books:

Success! I am a happy person, because I bought no books or magazines this month. This might make some of you chuckle, but I am a serious addict when it comes to reading materials! I really had to stop myself from buying books this month, even when it was with gift coupons, which I received for my birthday. I mean, goal is goal, eh?

I also learned about the art of borrowing. That is, I always lend out my own books, but I never really thought of borrowing some books of friends in return.
Reading:

‘Failure’. I did not manage to finish the two books I had planned for September.

I am almost done with the 4-Hour Work Week and still have to start on the Your Money or Your Life book. So they will be on the list for October.

I can even add ‘Black Swan’, ‘Guns, Germs and Steel’ and ‘Burgeois Dignity’ to my reading list (all borrowed books). I want to finish the borrowed books as quickly as I can (because they are borrowed) – but I am keen on finishing the 4-Hour Work Week and YMoYL as well because of their financial/ ERE relevance.
However, I am actually convinced it’ll work out. Because whilst I did not manage to completely finish either one of the books on my September-list, I did manage to read ‘Dat doen we zelf wel’ (birthday present) and read two other books. Not to mention the fact that I kept up with the flow of (free / secondhand / other) magazines. Which might be because of….
TV-watching:

Yes, watching TV has actually been reduced to 4 hours a week! I have watched some series (downloaded) – but those are actually included in the TV-time. Seeing how I used to watch about 7+ hours per week (1+ hour per day), I am proud. Same for online time, even though I began receiving paid mails, I reduced my online time. It’s about 2+ hours per day versus the old 4+ hours per day and this includes time for study and answering emails.
Sport:

Succes! I managed to sport at least 3 times a week (except for one week in which I was seriously ill). I actually managed to go to 4 times a week and will get myself started on a more serious strength-training/ cardio schedule starting next week. Ho hum?
Cooking:

I did not bake a bread myself this month, but I’d like to think I compensated for that with quite an amount of cakes, pies and baked deserts. I also cooked far more all by myself than the once-per-week goal I set myself: about 3-4 times and often had only 1 ‘off-day’ of not-cooking at all (not helping out either).

Heck, I even enjoyed cooking!
Bag-of-stuff:

Fail. Or half-success if you want. I filled half ‘a bag with some stuff, but did not finish the job as I should have. Shame on me. This will carry on to October!
October Goals:

- Read/ finish ‘The 4 Hour Work Week’

- Read Your Money or Your Life (Dutch Version)

- Finish at least one of the borrowed books.

- Continue working out at least 3 times a week

- Continue cooking all by myself at least once per week

- Bake a bread!

- Only buy books with gift-coupons from birthday or second-hand and only after having waited for at least a week before buying them (contemplate some more before I buy!). Buy 2 books at most. No magazines.

- Reduce energy costs (less things stand-by; turn router off when not using Internet for some time/ leaving the house, etc.)

- Make a (more detailed) schedule for daily activities. Plan study (whether for University or otherwise) and sporting activities.

As for study/ work: I might be enrolling myself in a program for the Criminal Investigation Department. It’s a 3-year work-study combination before you become an actual member of the department but you start receiving salary right away. Whilst the salary might not be super-high, I love what I heard so far (job content and the things you get to study/ the skills you learn).

On top of that, I have always wanted a job with some sort of ‘social relevance’ (not sure if those are the right words, but I hope you people know what I mean!).

So perhaps I should add: getting started with finally getting my driver’s license to the list as well as intensify my study efforts so that I can get things started!
Either way, I am pretty excited. Whereas I used to be rather uncertain about what kind of job I was supposed to get, I know finally feel as if I have found something really worth working towards in terms of jobs. Even if I do not get in the program, I plan to sign up as police volunteer – again, there’s lots of useful education and skills to be learned from helping out there and the ‘social relevance’ yet again.

As for additional skills: I am teaming up with my father (electrician who specializes in metros and trains) to at least re-learn some electronics skills. I have some old school books from him for the theoretical part and soon we should be able to build some test-circuits and the like!
October, here I come!

Marlene

Post by Marlene »

Hey Meliora!

Like to read your journal - have a great autumn!

Suzanne

Post by Suzanne »

Nice to read your stories here. Looks like you are doing really well with your goals. Keep it up!

By the way, I thought that as a student you are always given an student transportation pass by the government that grants you free travel during week or weekend. Not for you though? That would be a pity.