Ralphy's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

BACK STORY

Once upon a time I was really good at saving money. While I was in high school I did lots of babysitting, lawn mowing, farm work, and worked weekends as a convenience store clerk. I think I graduated with about $10,000 in the bank. I also earned a full-ride scholarship for undergrad. Life was good - I was looking like a case study for ERE at 25.
Then the bad decisions piled up. Enrolled in law school for no reason other than that's what my friends were doing and surely there was a big income waiting for me in a few years. Unfortunately my 'education' up to that point never involved any studying, so law school completely overwhelmed me. Barely passed my first semester classes, dropped out during second semester. Congratulations kid, you're $20,000 in debt.
Lived like a bum for a while, wrote a basketball blog that eventually got mentioned in Sports Illustrated, but didn't make much money over the next year, and managed to max out a couple credit cards. Then I got the bright idea that I'd go back to school to get an education certification to teach high school math. But halfway through that first semester I met a girl and was far too distracted to be bothered with school again (discipline wasn't my strong suit back then).
Finally got my wake-up call a few months later when my car broke down. I was at the shop with my boss/mentor and my girlfriend. I needed about $900 for the repair, which I didn't have. The shop offered to finance it at 0% for three months - good enough. They swipe my card and - DENIED - bad credit. Having that happen in front of two people important to me was probably the most humiliating experience of my life. To top it off, my girlfriend paid for the car repair with her Christmas bonus (cue self-loathing). Time to make some changes! I hated the feeling that I was giving away control of my own life.
Started listening to a lot of Dave Ramsey (still do), delivered tons of pizza, and paid off about $12k in debt that first year, but still had $18k to go. Made it my New Year's resolution to be debt-free by the end of the year. I had to dig deep (and sell my precious Monte Carlo), but I made my last student loan payment on New Year's Eve, about eight months ago. The life I had to live in those two years was great training for ERE.
I've since cut back on a few of the extra work hours. My income isn't great right now, but I've been putting away about $1,000 a month since I broke the chains of debt slavery.
More to come....

- current lifestyle

- future plans/goals

- solicitation for advice

Marius

Post by Marius »

Hi Ralphy!
Congrats on turning your life around! Looking forward to reading about your plans.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Thanks for sharing. That Dave Ramsey must be something else. A friend of mine (web designer/graphic artist) liked his stuff so much that he quit his job to go work for him. It changed his life a lot as well.

HSpencer

Post by HSpencer »

I can recommend the Dave Ramsey program. He has a "Financial Peace University" that you can order and import to your own organization.

On his TV show, he gets pretty pointed with the people that call in if they are doing crazy things. But turning it around, he is very uplifting to them when they are making good, sound, sensible progress. I like watching his show.

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

I think Dave was my first big influence in changing my money habits. That led to regularly reading GRS and TSD, which led to YMOYL, and somewhere along the way I found ERE and it matched my interests perfectly.
Since then I've drifted away from TSD and starting to do the same with GRS, but I still listen to Dave's radio show if I'm in the car when it's on. Now though I listen less to learn about money and more to learn about coaching/teaching. As Jacob has noted, personal fitness and personal finance parallel extremely well, so I like to borrow ideas from Dave for coaching my runners.

Q

Post by Q »

I gotta read this Dave Ramsey guy!
Anyways - nice to see you join the journal crew Ralphy. I need to get to updating mine, been awhile...

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

This is quite a charming story. Looking forward to the next episode.

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

CURRENT INCOME

As posted elsewhere, I'm currently working three jobs - apartment maintenance technician (part-time spring/fall, full-time summer/winter), coaching high school athletics (spring/fall), and pizza delivery (weekends). This adds up to an OK income, but doesn't allow a lot of free time yet.
My current maintenance position doesn't pay very well (though I should be due for a raise soon), but there are some perks that keep me around. Access to our work areas on personal time is nice - I can work on my car in the big heated garage, play in the wood shop, borrow tools, etc (heck of a lot cheaper than owning any of those things). My employer also includes part-timers in the 401k program. And my supervisors have been very good about teaching me when I want to learn new things. For example, this spring/summer I learned how to operate a medium-sized swimming pool and re-key locks. And it's within a mile of my apartment - 12 min walk or 4-5 min ride.
Coaching track/cross country is something I really enjoy - it's probably my answer to the question of "what would you do if you had $1 million?". Getting paid for it is a bonus, as is staying in shape by running with the team. The biggest downside is that it's 20 miles from home.
I thought I'd given up pizza delivery a few months ago when my old employer closed, but I wanted to ramp up my income again to pick up my ERE pace, so I found another driving job for weekends. The money has been good. This new place was the direct competition of my old employer, so the latter's closing has made for lots of extra income for the owners and employees alike. Between Friday and Saturday night I usually make about the equivalent of 4-5 days at my full-time day job. And since I drive a pretty fuel-efficient car 1989 Ford Festiva, my gas compensation is enough to cover both delivering and the commute to my coaching job.
OTHER INCOME

I've dabbled a little bit in operating arcade games and vending machines - all were located at my old pizza restaurant. Since they closed I've been looking for new locations. Might be able to get an arcade machine set up in the resident lounge at my current apartment complex (helps that my girlfriend is the property manager :)
Have also been bringing in some decent cash via eBay - got inspired by Jacob's ideas to get rid of everything that wasn't getting used on a regular basis.

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

I don't know that most people on the way to ERE would learn much from Dave - he really targets people who are in debt and need to see how their lifestyle is damaging their long-term prospects (which fit me pretty well).
I'd describe his approach as basically 'don't do stupid stuff, work really hard, enjoy the fruits of your labor.' He bills his program as "common sense advice that your grandmother would give you" - which is about right, since none of the ideas are really new or revolutionary.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

This is why I never looked into it. People on this site most likely don't have use for it.

Q

Post by Q »

Every time I read a post from Ralphy I feel like pizza. Then I think about owning a Pizza place...
I just checked on a side job bartending like Red suggested in another post to boost income and experience, but it would be nearly full time on top of my way over full time job.
How do you manage staying "rested". Is GF on the same sorta path as you?
Do you contribute to the 401k?

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

GF and I are still working that out. I definitely got the head start, but she decided to get serious about her debt about a year ago, too. I don't think she has any ERE aspirations yet, but I've been pretty impressed with the lifestyle changes she's made (she's much more social, so staying home more often was a big step for her).
Staying rested is a challenge. I work typical day hours M-F, but then Fri and Sat night I won't get to bed until 5 am or so. I'll sleep in Sat and Sun and tinker with stuff that doesn't take much brain power :)
It helps that pizza delivery has off-periods - our student-centric shop slows way down during school breaks (ie Thanksgiving, Christmas, spring break, all summer). I usually try not to work any shift that won't be busy, so I get a lot of those weeks off.

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

I'm not eligible for the 401k until November. I posted some 401k questions around here a couple weeks ago to try to feel the situation out, since I've never had one before. But I think the tax break and the 4.5% match will draw me in.

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I think it always makes sense to take the match, i.e. free money. Do you have any running goals of your own?

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

I don't have any concrete goals right now. It's been quite a while since I trained consistently for a long period. I picked up some injuries during college that plagued me for a few years, and I pretty much threw in the towel on my own running.
Then I discovered barefoot running and the whole minimalist footwear sub-culture, which seems so obvious now but was a total game-changer for me at the time. I was running pain-free within a short period of time.
So I was pretty excited when I could run on a regular basis all of this spring, and I was very excited when I ran a race time in June that was comparable to what I used to run in high school, but then in June I fell off my bike and broke my collar bone. That put a hold on running for the past couple months.
Sorry for the ramble, but no current running goals. Like a lot of runners, though, I do still harbor fantasies of holing up in a cabin in the woods for a couple months and just eat, sleep, train, and see what happens (a la Quenton Cassidy in Once A Runner). Unlike most runners, though, I plan to have the free time to actually pursue that.
*Reminder to self - type up Once A Runner quotes for "Inspiration" forum.*

aquadump

Post by aquadump »

I think the barefoot running movement is good for form. I still run in shoes for track, trails, and tempo runs though. If you haven't already, I recommend Christopher McDougall's 'Born to Run' recent book.
Have you read the follow up to 'Once a Runner,' which is 'Again to Carthage?' It's on my wishlist.

runrunruneateateat

Post by runrunruneateateat »

Congratulations, Ralphy on turning everything around! $1000/month is incredible. I'm interested to hear more about what it's like being a track coach. I imagine it must be tough but rewarding.
I second Pete's recommendation of Born to Run. Ultramarthoner Scott Jurek (featured in the book) is going to be publishing his own book next year about his vegan diet and running regimen, which should be interesting.
I'm not sure if you need it but I also recommend Halhigdon.com for running plans, weight lifting regimens, and stretching exercises. Hal's a former Runner's World editor and veteran runner--for his 70th birthday he ran 7 marathons in 7 months! When I started training in January I was unable to do a single push-up or run for more than 5 miles without hurting my lower back. I've always been slim but fairly weak. Now I can do 11 push-ups in a row and do 12-mile runs pain-free. I know that's nothing for someone like Jacob, but I'm happy with how much I've progressed in the last 9 months. Plus day-to-day stuff like carrying the groceries and the 25-lb. laundry bag aren't a struggle anymore. Hal's info is pretty basic so you might already know all of it, but it appealled to me when I started out because it seemed to cover all the bases in an old-fashioned, common-sense sort of way.
Either way, best of luck to you with your training and financial goals!

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

@ rePete - I agree with you on keeping shoes around for certain runs. I probably only go completely barefoot on grass once a week, then maybe once a week on trails with the Five Fingers, and the rest of my runs in Puma Speeders - very light, flexible, and low heels.
http://mensfashion.about.com/od/shoesbe ... eaks_6.htm
I read (nay, consumed) Born to Run last summer. It changed my ideas on running like YMOYL changes a lot of people's ideas on lifestyle. Haven't read the OAR sequel yet...should check to see if it's in at our library.
@ run...eat - I'll be happy to post about coaching sometime - little busy right now with our home cross country meet coming up next week. Haven't read much Higdon (or Runner's World for that matter, I'm more of a Running Times guy, especially since the school picked up the tab for a subscription:)), but I have come around to the value of strength training for distance runners. I used to treat it as unnecessary, maybe even detrimental, but it's helped me personally and our kids (the CC team, I don't have kids) seem to be a lot better off since we've started to implement it. Fewer injuries, more ability to handle hard workouts, just better athleticism, etc...

Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Good reading, great progress! Look forward to follow up entries.
What's your favorite pizza topping(s)?

NYC ERE

Post by NYC ERE »

Barefoot running has a heavy crossover with the Paleo movement. True barefoot running and walking, without Vibrams, strikes me as really compatible with ERE, since it doesn't require any expenditure on shoes, nor does it cause any depreciation to your current shoes. It's a win-win once you build up your callouses and fix your gait--save money, increase health.
The founder of our NYC Paleo Meetup Group also does a barefoot running group, and they've recently had a high-profile 8-mile run in NYC, featuring none other than McDougall himself, with another one coming up I think next month.
I've been to only one barefoot running meetup, and Barefoot Ken Bob, who's mentioned in Born To Run, gave a little primer--he walks and runs everywhere barefoot, carrying only a pair of flip-flops for when he has to go inside private establishments.