Ralphy's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
m741

Post by m741 »

I must say, I always enjoy reading your journal, because it seems like you're working towards FI from a very different direction than the average forum member, who seems to be a software engineer. Delivering pizza/coaching track/arcade machines are an unusual combination :).
I guess this is a strange thing to say, but congratulations on the breakup - it sounds like it's for the best, and hopefully will allow for you to grow (and be more relaxed).

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

@ m741
I've never been congratulated for a breakup, but it does seem oddly appropriate. Once the dust settles down, I feel like everything will look much better (for both of us).

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

March 2013 - Month 27 of 66
March savings rate - 76%
Net worth / 12 months avg expenses = 125 months
March brought some changes to my life. First was the living arrangement. I moved into an empty room in a 3 bdr apartment, so I have two new roommates. I'm back to within two miles of my day job, so I've been able to bike or walk every day for the past three weeks. It's nice to have the walking option again, because when it's cold and the roads are covered with snow/ice, the bike usually gets left at home.
My utilities will be cheaper here, and I will no longer be renting a garage, but since I'm paying rent again, my overall expenses will probably be higher each month than they were previously.
I started getting into dumpster diving pretty regularly this month. I have a couple spots I like to check once a week or so while I'm out delivering pizza. The hauls have been more impressive than I expected. Blueberries, strawberries, oranges, tangerines, apples, peaches, occasional packaged stuff...always something different. A diving friend and I have a challenge going this month to spend less than $30 this month on food. If things keep up, I don't expect that to be too much effort, especially since I'll be harvesting greens from the garden in a few weeks.
Speaking of which, this winter/spring has been my first attempt at starting seeds indoors. My south-facing window is currently occupied by about 10 kale plants, 20 heads of lettuce, six broccoli plants, and several tomato, pepper, and flower seedlings, and it's just now warm enough to transplant and sow seeds outdoors. Should be my best and biggest garden yet.

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

April 2013 - Month 28 of 66
April savings rate = 78%
Net worth / 12 months avg expenses = 128 months (10.7 years)
May 2013 - Month 29 of 66
May savings rate = 80%
Net worth / 12 months avg expenses = 134 months (11.2 years)
Looks like I'm behind on the journaling! Late spring is pretty busy for me, with track season in full swing, starting the garden, high school graduation ceremony/receptions, etc. Now I get to settle into my relatively relaxed summer groove of running, working, reading, and gardening. (Our library just added inter-library loan to their website, making it even easier to overload my backlog of reading material :)
The garden is coming along nicely - I'm really glad that I did my own seed starting this year, and that I started early. This spring I also added a chicken wire fence around the garden bed, and I've had virtually no loss to rabbits or gophers, which was a problem last year. My mix of lettuce/kale/chard/arugula has been enough for about 1 salad per day. I'm hoping to be eating tomatoes in another month, too, if the weather warms back up to normal temperatures.
Now that I'm single again, I've had a growing interest in radically simplifying my life. I'm currently focusing on physical possessions - I sold/unloaded a lot of large volume items, including several arcade machines and a heavy bed frame I built. I placed some of my larger garage items (work bench, sawhorses) in the shop at work on the condition that I can choose to take them with me in the future. I'm getting to the point that everything I own can fit in a small room (or even my car), which I'm enjoying even more than I expected.
Related to the simplifying, I've been giving thought to cutting out my current coaching gig. I generally love the job, but the 20 mile commute (one-way) is way out of line for my income level and general life philosophy. And at this point, that job is probably the only root holding me in place in my current location. If/when I cut ties with it, I'll be almost completely free to pack my remaining things into my car and head anywhere. For someone who's lived in the same city for most of the past 12 years, and the same state for almost my entire life, that's an exciting thought.
I don't have a clear picture of where I might go or what I might do, or if I'll even be in a hurry to make a major change, but it's fun to have those options and entertain those ideas again.

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

I always enjoy reading your journal but the most striking part is your savings rate and its effect on your net worth!
Another case of simplicity equaling happiness..........

Ralphy

Re: Ralphy's Journal

Post by Ralphy »

It appears I'm becoming one of those journalers who lets their writing languish :o . I've been lurking the forums but using my busyness as an excuse for not writing. Jacob's recent post on journalers reaching FI was a reminder to get posting again. A quick summary of financials -

June 2013 - Month 30 of 66
June savings rate = 59%
Net worth / 12 months avg expenses = 128 months

July 2013 - Month 31 of 66
July savings rate = 25%
Net worth / 12 months avg expenses = 120 months

August 2013 - Month 32 of 66
August savings rate = 61%
Net worth / 12 months avg expenses = 119 months

September 2013 - Month 33 of 66
September savings rate = 83%
Net worth / 12 months avg expenses = 120 months

Summer months were a drag on savings. Wasn't working at the pizza shop, was commuting to my pro bono summer training program for my runners, and generally got lazy with eating out. The PP took a big hit in June, too. So while my net worth was still growing month-to-month, expenses were creeping at a faster pace. Got back to the normal routine in late August. I'm now through 33 of the 66 months of my FI plan, and my net worth is at 49% of my initial target.

And since it's been so long since I've posted regularly, a quick summary of me -

Sources of income - maintenance tech for large apartment complex, high school coach, delivery for local non-chain pizza shop
Interests/activities - urban homesteading (gardening/composting/foraging/preserving), distance running, dumpster diving, quiet/simplicity

I moved into one of the apartments at work this summer. It costs slightly more than the last place, but the lifestyle synergies have been great. Now I'm a short walk from my garden and work, and I'm a little closer to my preferred grocery store.

Delivery driving has been pleasantly lucrative since I started back this fall. I've worked nine shifts, and by my calculations, I'd have to earn about $23/hr at my day job to take home what I've made delivering, even after accounting for vehicle costs (keep in mind, though, that I just cherry-pick the good Friday/Saturday night shifts). I do get tempted to spend more time there to speed up the whole FI process, but it really throws off my attempts to eat healthy and maintain a normal sleep cycle.

I previously mentioned an interest in leaving my coaching job. I haven't officially resigned yet, but I'm certainly leaning toward doing so at the end of the current season. It's been fun, challenging, and at times incredibly rewarding, but the drain of commuting and working with the handful of unmotivated kids is increasingly tiresome. I'd like to continue in the sport and in coaching, but I'm probably best suited for something like the coach (one of my favorite running bloggers) pictured in this article - training on my own and volunteering with a team in my immediate area.

The garden project has been a success this year. I've eaten and shared lots of kale, chard, lettuce, arugula, tomatoes, beets, cucumbers, and peppers this summer. Since I started everything from seed, my only costs this year were a few soil amendments. I also had a great Freecycle score this summer - 75 unopened seed packets, including a huge variety of vegetables, herbs, and flowers. Since I make my own compost, I think I can keep my garden costs close to zero for the next few years. I think I can grow a bigger proportion of my food in the future, too. I've also started a bit of foraging. I found a handful of plum, apple, and walnut trees within short walking distance. There's actually some foraged apples slow-cooking into applesauce as I type.

So overall, my life hasn't changed too dramatically since my previous posts. I just try to keep refining my approach in pursuit of health, wealth, and happiness.

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Hey I just stumbled across your journal and have to say I have massively enjoyed it.
You are proof that significant NW can be accumulated through a random collection of low paying jobs.

You havent contributed to your journal for a while but I am wondering whether you have made it to FI?

Ralphy

Post by Ralphy »

Thanks for the comment, thrifty. I haven't participated in the forum in a long time, but I have been a consistent lurker. Hard to believe it's already been four years since the last journal update.

In response to your question - I consider myself semi-retired these days. It's been several years since my last pizza delivery, and I left my day job in December last year. I still coach the runners. It was interesting to re-read my thoughts in my last post - I'd forgotten how dissatisfied I was back then. The past three cross country seasons since then have been great - we've competed at the state meet as a team and had some All-State runners, including a kid that won multiple state titles. More importantly, the team culture has improved a lot, and our team is as big this year as it's ever been, despite declining school enrollment. I also accepted a promotion from assistant to head coach of the track team.

Financially, the portfolio isn't at never-work-again levels, but my coaching salary does at least cover my basic expenses.

Lots of thoughts going through my head as I reflect on where I've been the past few years and where I still want to go...perhaps future journaling is in order :P

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Congrats on the successes, both yours and your teams!

thrifty++

Post by thrifty++ »

Congratulations! Sounds like life is going great for you. Thanks for replying so fast. I kind of thought you wouldnt respond. Good to see your still on the forums.

How is it having unplugged? Amazing? No regrets? Sounds perfect that you still have one income stream which I gather is the one you really enjoy.

Mind if I ask what your NW was when you cut the jobs? Since my NW is at a lower level its inspiring to hear from others who unplugged at a lower NW level.

frugal

Post by frugal »

Hi

do you invest in US-PP?

Regards

wolf

Post by wolf »

Ralphy wrote:
Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:08 am
In response to your question - I consider myself semi-retired these days.
Lots of thoughts going through my head as I reflect on where I've been the past few years and where I still want to go...perhaps future journaling is in order :P
Congratulations also from my side to your semi-retirement. Of course I am looking forward to read more about your thoughts and experiences. :)