Post by cmonkey »

Dave

Re: Jacob's other journal

Post by Dave »

I read the newer version.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

I just requested the older version, I'm sure it'll be helpful. No sense paying for a few additional notes. I'd like to start now, but I'm afraid being at my in-laws for Christmas would ruin any accomplishments I make. Lets just say they don't eat very healthy at all.

weiss-blau

Post by weiss-blau »

Just one question concerning the Elvish waybread - how do you mix it? I vastly prefer rye over wheat for minimalising staleness, but my hand mixer can't mix any dough with more than 10% rye.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I mix it with my hands in a bowl. If you don't have a bowl, make a pile of flour on a table or a plate that resembles a volcano and pour water down the middle and mix from there.

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

It just dawned on me you passed your second, one-year anniversary! :D Congrats.

C40

Post by C40 »

We need updates! What have you been doing?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

The first several months was spent decompressing and rearranging/minimizing the house/stuff, since I now have to look at it all day. I went through a long period where I bought almost nothing (outside of food). eBay is 8 months and counting. Amazon went 13+ months ... and if you don't count business-expenses, it's still counting. So overall, there's been a substantial net reduction in the amount of stuff in the house. About a handful of moving boxes.---I learned that I can just put it out back on a Sunday and some "scrap collector" will take it and probably resell it at a flea market.

I also managed to build and install a couple of window casings so the kitchen and the living room look nicer now. Still have to make and install the kitchen cabinets, but at least we got the kitchen painted in a less ghastly color.

In the past several months I've been working on a new writing/research project (no comments) which has essentially taken over my focus. I'm turning into a total hermit. My neighbors are beginning to inquire "where I've been?" (Answer: In my room with a stack of books. 27 books read in the past 3 months, 90% nonfiction).

Speaking of focus, I'm beginning to change my mind on home-ownership because all the maintenance takes away from what I consider more interesting projects.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

I would enjoy reading another book written by you. Keep going :)

cmonkey

Post by cmonkey »

jacob wrote:27 books read in the past 3 months, 90% nonfiction).
2 books per week for 3 months, wow. Looking forward to the conclusion. You say no comments, but not even a hint? :lol:

Dragline

Post by Dragline »

Would you mind listing those 27 books you have read? And yes, I promise not to ask why you have read any of them (as that question is usually extremely annoying and the answer is "curiosity" anyway_.

C40

Post by C40 »

The books would give away what he's writing about.

How about this: is the writing project a subject that us forum members are likely to enjoy reading? (assuming it's a medium that will be accessible)

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

Could you say your statement on your book on investment? Are yoy planning to write something on that topic? Thanks gor reply in advance

luxagraf

Post by luxagraf »

jacob wrote:Speaking of focus, I'm beginning to change my mind on home-ownership because all the maintenance takes away from what I consider more interesting projects.
So I've been thinking about this a lot lately, trying to work out how to include this in some total cost of home ownership metric (the "loss" of other projects, not the maintenance, that's easy). Probably too intangible to be accounted for, but this is one of the top reasons I can't wait to sell (well and significant profit, that's nice too).

Allagash

Post by Allagash »

jacob wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:03 pm
Speaking of focus, I'm beginning to change my mind on home-ownership because all the maintenance takes away from what I consider more interesting projects.
Major home renovations are a lot of work. I'm not the greatest mechanically inclined guy, I'm not very patient, I'm not very interested in spending months learning all the things needed to say completely remodel my kitchen (let alone all the tools needed), and I really hate spending my precious time wandering around giant home depot stores looking for some little special screw I need. I would just rather do something else with my time. So in the past I have hired this stuff out and it gets done 100X faster and a lot better then I could. But yeah, the labor costs suck.

One trick I found to getting work on your house done at a reasonable cost is getting to know local high volume house fix/flippers and trying to get referrals for good subcontractors from them. High volume house flippers have fixing houses down to a science, and their subs have been trained to do things very fast and cost effectively. Unfortunately right now subcontractors are in high demand and costs are labor costs are rising. In 2010 at depths of RE crash labor was plentiful and cheap.

We would all love an update to the journal Jacob!

Jason

Post by Jason »

27 books in three months = 9 books a month = approx. 2 books per week. Yeah, I know. I got mad fuckin math skills.

I struggle to read four per month. So far this year I am exactly on schedule - 28 read through July. They vary in fiction/non-fiction, each year usually has one topic that dominates.

Obviously Jacob has pre-natural focus. Some people read faster than others. It also requires the ability to remain in extreme solitude without ending up with notebooks filled with "All Work and No Play makes Jack a dull boy."

Any way you cut it, that's extreme monasticism shit right there.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Taleb's practice is 30 hours of not-easy-crap reading/week.

Jason

Post by Jason »

That's a good suggestion. I'll start with his books.

That Taleb looks like one formidable Mofo. It's like he's just deciding whether he's going to beat your ass in a debate or in the parking lot.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Uh-HUH. Now that Sam Shepard is no longer with us, he is like #19 on my list of Men I'd Like To Lose At Wresslin With.

Tyler9000

Post by Tyler9000 »

jacob wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:03 pm
In the past several months I've been working on a new writing/research project (no comments) which has essentially taken over my focus. I'm turning into a total hermit. My neighbors are beginning to inquire "where I've been?" (Answer: In my room with a stack of books. 27 books read in the past 3 months, 90% nonfiction).

I feel like I could have written this, as I'm in the exact same boat. Well, maybe not in the book count but definitely on the research project / hermit / inquiring neighbors / house fatigue front. At some point I decided it was time to take active steps to break that cycle. Everybody is different, though.