Jacob's other journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Seppia

Re: Jacob's other journal

Post by Seppia »

May I ask how is the build quality of the refrigiwear stuff?

By quality I mean:
1- is it durable? this is the most important factor for me when considering clothing (still, I buy sneakers :( )
2- does it keep warm?

Thanks!

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

Wrt build quality, I have no complaints. It's work wear and not a fashion statement. It's also a pretty old brand/businnes that's yet to be discovered by hipsters, so ... so far so good. I wear the same coverall (day after day except for laundry day ... and visits/visiting ... and podcasts) between November and April with one full-cover layer beneath it, generally either long underwear or another thin layer like old dress shirts or light exercise pants. This also means I need to wash the coverall much less often. About the same rate as average people wash their overcoats.

Also retail is about 50-60% of MSRP. I paid $70ish for my coveralls. Admittedly more than my entire bathroom renovation, but still :P :mrgreen:

WRT warmth, it's important not to buy too warm. I made that mistake when I first bought their Irontuff coveralls. The issue with this largely non-layered system is that it's warm enough to block/retain all your internal heat. This means if you pick the wrong insulation level, it will be really warm on the inside yet cold on the outside (hands, head, feet) which is rather uncomfortable. The official website temp rating are for an active worker. If you sit on your ass like me, add 40-50F to the active-ratings.

The coveralls I have had zippers running all the way up to the hips. This makes ventilation very flexible. I can leave a lot of it open to cool down for e.g. thermogenesis. Overheating is really my biggest problem.

I do wish that they'd make them in 100% cotton or some other natural fiber and adhere to a more cosmonautish design like the coolerwear line that DW is sporting. That'd be perfect.

PS: One cool (ha!) feature is that I don't have to change clothes to go outside as long as the temperature remains somewhere between 20 and 60F. I only change my shoes whenever I got out :lol: Sorry for using Freedom units on you. I guess I've been sufficiently assimilated by now.

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

My ghetto solution is just to put on multiple layer of sweaters until I stay warm. :P I haven't figured out a solution yet wrt how to retain warm hands though... Especially when working on a laptop, my hands get very cold.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Thanks Jacob
I’m looking at their Jackoat Iron Tuff with lust. Won’t buy it because I don’t need one but my circa 2008 self would have sprung probably.
Cheap, looks great, durable.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Quadalupe wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:04 pm
My ghetto solution is just to put on multiple layer of sweaters until I stay warm. :P I haven't figured out a solution yet wrt how to retain warm hands though... Especially when working on a laptop, my hands get very cold.
The Chinese in the mid-to-southern part of the country don't really do indoor heating (or at least didn't do indoor heating when I traveled there 10 years ago). Some common solutions: hot water bottle on which your hands rest when you aren't working, these hand-muffler things that look like a giant tube where you stick your hands (sometimes these come with electric heating like electric blankets), gloves.

Many people's hands were just used to the cold. Hands appeared to become very rough, with thick, callused skin, not like our sissy western office worker hands.

In my experience, cold hands and feet are partly due to circulation, too. So a couple of jumping jacks every now and then between the butt-to-chair wouldn't hurt

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

Quadalupe wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:04 pm
I haven't figured out a solution yet wrt how to retain warm hands though... Especially when working on a laptop, my hands get very cold.
https://richsoil.com/electric-heat.jsp

reepicheep

Post by reepicheep »

That guy knows his shit.

Electric blanket been nice. About 2 cents a night.

Quadalupe

Post by Quadalupe »

A small update regarding cold hand syndrome. My partner bought us a pair of 'therapy gloves'. The gloves supposedly help against arthritis, but they also work really well in keeping your hands warm! They bought them on Wish (click here for a better view), but I'm sure they can also be found on Amazon or other shops.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

1)
coming back to last meet up in Copenhagen

you once wrote that you would be enjoying convo with only 25% forum members on specific topics IRL.

what are such topics?
I give a try to:
- meandres of physics
- meandres of investments
- ???

I simply got a little bit less confident after meeting rich Danes and decided to speak with younger audience.

I do unterstand that there are two types of communication (overt and covert) and I should know answer for above question... but to some extent I treat world as set of data and if I don't know the answer, I simply ask the question (:-DDDDD).

2)
why do hold the position that people from finance world are the smartest folks?
(statement from your 10yr update and point from many posts over here. yep, I could paraphase many of your posts after being woken up at 4 AM on random day)
any fancy story behind this?

I see the fact that they can act on stupid behavior of other people instead of only talking (which is done by like 90% of society).

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

A couple of years since the last post, how's it going @jacob?