bigato's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
bigato

Re: bigato's journal

Post by bigato » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:02 pm

LiquidSapphire wrote:Congratulations :) So what is your plan for your new and old house in your old city?
Hi LS, thanks!

I'll keep the new house, the big rural property. It needs some fixing that I should be able to do in 2014 and after that I should be able to rent it for weekends for good money. The house in the city, I sometimes think about selling it, but I am not sure. Even if I can get twice what I spent there, it is still too little money for a house. You can't easily find prices like that anywhere else that I am aware of. That neighborhood can't keep with such low prices forever. Right now, my uncle is managing it for me in exchange for the small money he can make by renting it out.

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:25 pm

anomie wrote:Best of luck Bigato.

So what ever happened to the plans of the small farm in the mountains, living in a small house, raising food.

Did I dream that?

would you care to bring your readers up to season 2/ current plans of "Bigato's journal"?

best wishes,
anomie
I like "season 2", lol

First year after ERE I was able to secure a very very cheap small house in the city. At that time I was still so unhappy with my job experiences and possible future, suffering everyday. Crying in the bathroom while changing clothes to start the work day. I needed every piece of hope that I could have. I was decided to go as extreme as necessary to get out of hell.

If I was to keep living in that house, I should be able to reach FI by around december 2013 or so. But I wanted to live in a bigger rural property where I could be able to provide for most of my own needs, produce my food and have some surplus. I calculated that depending on the price of the property, I should be able to justify the spending because I would save on food. Indeed, if I was to produce all of my food, that would be true. But then I've got a problem. The rural property that I've bought had a small house, but also a big house. And the big one was needing a lot of renovations. Also I was not able to produce all of my our own food because of having a job. The upside is that once I get that big house ready to rent on weekends, it will be a source of income enough to maybe even pay for all of my expenses and for its own maintenance.

But I was in strange position. After having the big house ready for renting, and by growing at least part of our food, I would be in an awesome ERE position. But I could not risk doing it too soon. Because I still was tied to my job, I had to pay not only for the material for the house renovation, but also for most of the labor. Because I couldn't leave the job, it was not easy to produce most of my food. All of that means that in order to feel safe I would need more safety margin than I was planning when I was desperate in my job.

Because, while I was improving my ERE position by buying that first small house, then acquiring the rural property, producing some food, meanwhile I was also learn to withstand better the work environment and was in fact starting to get good at my function at the time (selling bank products). Now that I was feeling safer and better, I also started to have bigger dreams for the future. Looking back, if I was to keep living in the first small house in the city, I probably would reach FI sooner. But we wanted a bigger rural property, we wanted more space and privacy, more access to nature, more tools, a shop and some other things. If I was still desperate to get out of the job like I was in the past, I probably should have stayed put and worked around those wants of ours to be able to get part of them without buying a new property. But feeling safer I decided to risk a move to a very improved ERE position where I could have a lifestyle that we would like more.

After buying the rural property and starting to renovate it, I started to find out that I indeed did a very good move and a very good deal but I would need to work longer for the new cashflow improvements to start to actually show up in my account. Then I thought that if I was to work longer, I could as well work longer earning more and doing something that I like better. So here I am. Not saving more yet, because of the added rent expense, but at least working in something that I am loving; and with effort and some luck I may get a raise sometime in the future.

Now it was only my first week in the job, but I am loving it so far. We still plan on not having children here in the big city, and the clock is ticking for us. But if it wasn't for this detail, I could probably keep at this job much longer. I should have risked more to get a job at software development fifteen years ago when I entered the workforce. I always knew how much I liked and was good at it and that it has potential to make me money. But I guess that everybody sometimes dreams how it would be nice to have our current level of life experience 10 years ago.

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Oh shit one of the new bosses is a mac fanboy and wants presentations with charts as pretty as apple's... except that we don't have any apple equipment there. :-(

bigato

Post by bigato » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:07 pm

I am loving the programming job and see no reason to stop any time soon. I am now in fact thinking more and more of ways that I could continue working on this while somehow being able to live in a smaller city with more nature (better yet if I could live in the rural property that I already own). My focus changed away from retiring. I am now looking for ways to improve my life, my job, my skills and my pay. I still would like that my future children could experience groing in a rural place, at least in their childhood.

For the first time in my life I've growed some fat. Professional soccer athletes, for your reference, usually have around 11% of body fat; I was used to be around 5%. I am 10 kg heavier, with some more muscles and some more fat. It is probably probably because of the change in my lifestyle, specially because of the fact that I am not using the bike to commute anymore. Maybe I should. Because in my bjj training I feel that I could use some more stamina. Most of the days the bus I so full that I can't even use my time to read anyway. I was hoping that saving energy by using the bus I could focus more energy in my bjj training and get to a new level; but it is not working so well so far. Maybe it is also because I have eaten out more frequently, in part because I am meeting some old friends now that I am living here in Sao Paulo again. But also in part because wife (that is currently responsible for the food part) could help me some more if she would put more effort towards making sure I take food to work everyday.

As you may have noticed, there are some signals that I am not so focused in ERE anymore; and in fact I am not. Biking makes a lot of sense in a financial and health sense; the same applies to not eating out. Shame on me.

I once again received an invitation to go to another far away city to a better position inside the company, and programming, that is something that I really love to do. Sometimes I feel tempted, not because I don't like my current position. I would do the same there, except that making more money. But I like the problems that are yet to solve in my current place, I have nothing to see in that far away city, and I could make the same money here in this same city. Just need to wait for the opportunity to show up. Here it is also much closer to my two real estate properties (200km), against 1.200 km there.

Wife is still looking for a job in her field.

On my free time I am looking for projects ideas and business partners, as I have detailed in another thread. I intend to use the opportunity to focus more on some technologies that I am not currently using at my job and hopefully to start some alternative money making business.

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Some days ago we cracked the last frontier (for us) in home-made food: we managed to make (salmon) sushi at home. It was quite easy, really. Just get a piece of fresh fish, a good knife, and slice away. No need to pay absurd amounts to eat the same thing outside the comfort from home.

Last week wife got a job at as a children's teacher at a nearby school. The pay is not awesome, but she works 5 hours a day and the job is a 5 minutes walk from home. Now she is gaining experience and skills, both of which will be useful in the next, hopefully higher paying, job that she gets in the field.

I am rocking away at my job. It took me about two months to get to full speed on the frameworks and tools that were used to build the foundation of the intranet site we develop there. Now all those years of studying and practicing are showing.

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Today, for the first time after 10 years and a month of training, I submitted my current brazilian jiu jitsu teacher. And I did it twice in the same fight!

Sorry, this has nothing to do with ERE, but I had to write down here :)
It is not polite to start speaking to everybody in class that I did it, and some of you that take the time to read my journal know more about me and my life than most people in bjj.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Congrats, so now you're a full Jedi-knight!

m741

Post by m741 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Wow bigato! Congrats! What a huge step.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 am

bigato wrote:Today, for the first time after 10 years and a month of training, I submitted my current brazilian jiu jitsu teacher. And I did it twice in the same fight!
Congrats ? How did you submit him ? What belt are you ? Do you compete and at what level and how well ?

I'm an ordinary 40 year old purple belt who doesn't compete so its not like its hard to beat my experiences. I submitted my last instructor when he let me. I haven't submitted either of my current instructors but they are big tough black belts who have competed at high levels (abu dhabi/ufc/mundials).

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:59 am

Thanks guys! I know that you appreciate the value of effort and dedication.

Steveo, it was first an armlock, and then the second time it was an omoplata. I am purple belt, but have a peculiar history. I trained 6 years with my first teacher, and then went to live 4 years in the countryside, where I started to teach classes because there was no place to practice in the city. I had no teacher to graduate me at the time. Most of my friends who trained with me when I was here in Sao Paulo some years ago, are black belts now. My purple belt is falling apart, lol. I am not competing currently.

Chad

Post by Chad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:08 am

Congratulations, that's nice accomplishment. I would prefer that over the black belt.

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks Chad! I also do!

workathome

Post by workathome » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:45 pm

That's awesome, congrats bigato. I'd love to learn some BJJ moves.

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:54 pm

In August 2013 I participated in a hiring process for a position inside the company that was able to make me excited about. I was not able to win the position because there was a company rule forbidding me to make that leap from my previous basic position to the one I was aiming. But the guys liked my resume and gave me a recommendation for another position inside the company for the same kind of work (web development), although for a lower pay.

Since I was living in another city in the countryside where I already have my own property, the increase in pay was eaten by the rent I am paying now, living in Sao Paulo. I moved essentially for my satisfaction at doing something that I love.

But last week, another position opened for the same place and function that I initially applied for. Another hiring process was open and I am participating. The first phase was resume selection and I was one of the invited to the second phase that took place today. I answered an written test. I am not sure how many people are participating, because the process was open for people inside the company from all the country. But at my room there was about 50 people doing the test with me, but they said more people were doing the test in other cities. It was a very nice and well written test, good enough to evaluate the quality of the candidates. I don't know if I will be the one to win, but judging by the quality of the questions I am sure that they will be able to select a very capable person. There's always the possibility that someone inside the company is geeking out more than I in this set of skills, but I am pretty optimistic.

It is mostly for the increase in money, but also because there are some high level people there and it is nicer to work in this kind of environment. But life is good at my current position anyways.

In one to two weeks some people will be invited for interviews.

Tomorrow I will also pay the remaining debt from the money I borrowed to be able to pay for the rural property that I acquired in September 2012 (in addition to the money that I already had). I didn't expect to take so long to pay for it, but I did a wrong choice renovating the bathroom while I was still in debt, and then I spent some more money on new work clothes that I had to buy in a hurry when moving here last year. I also bought a couple of heavy-duty wood working machines that I ended up not using. Upon knowing that I would be moving to Sao Paulo, I was able to return the machines to my uncle and we did an agreement that he will pay me with work redoing the roof of the rural property. Now I will start to have some money to finish the rural property renovation and hopefully start to rent it out this year.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:25 am

This all sounds very good. I wish you success with the interview process.
I am sure that they will be able to select a very capable person.
Hoping that this person will be you. Very capable sounds right ;)
Last edited by saving-10-years on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Oh thank you very much!

Today by the morning I received a call. I scored 29 out of 40 possible points and placed second on the test, while the first place did 30.5 points. But there was a question where they didn't gave me half the points despite having answered half of the question correctly (there were two parts). That should be one or two more points. The third scored 20.5, and the fourth I don't know. These four people including me were invited for an interview that took place today and ended a couple of hours ago. By the beginning of next week I will receive an invitation for another interview (with the big boss there) or a feedback by telephone if another person wins.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:51 am

Great score. Hope the next stage goes well.

I should say congratulations already because coming at the top (sounds like equal first?) at this stage will I suspect do you a lot of good even if you don't get the job. Hope you get a chance to impress the big boss.

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks, saving-10-years.

But... it wasn't this time. The guy called me and said that they really really wanted to put me in the position, but they weren't able at this time. There are rules on the company that will prioritize those with a college degree. He says he still wants me there, and that he wants me there soon. Also said that every one of the other three programmers there wanted me there. I'm thinking about getting the cheapest degree I can get (it doesn't matter which degree for the company rules). The shorter ones will still take two years.

On the bright side, last April 25 I paid the remaining debt (from the money I lent to buy that rural property). Wife quit the job because of awful working conditions and got offered another one, this time with great people, paying a bit more than double the previous one, but now full time (8-17).

In the current job we are hiring two more programmers. I am preparing a test for the interview. We received some really great resumes and I am very excited by the prospect of being able to select two very high level guys to work with us. I hope they are much better than I am, to help me learn more and instigate the competitive in me! If I am staying longer where I am, at least I will make it the best and more fun working environment for programmers that I am able to get!

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue May 06, 2014 7:34 pm

They managed to negotiate with my department to borrow me for them for 60 days, starting this monday. So now is my chance to dedicate and show what I am capable of. These two days I was already able to see that the guys there are really very smart. This is the kind of environment where I want to work!

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 am

Excellent!