bigato's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
TheWanderingScholar

Re: bigato's journal

Post by TheWanderingScholar »

Yeah, fuck the city if you get to live in a place like that.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

It's so beautiful around there. When is the bigato AirBNB opening for business so that I can see it for myself?

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Wow, what a great location. ERE city on bigato's property? 8-)

sky

Post by sky »

^ this

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Dude! I'm amazed by your new digs. Looks like a wonderful place to call home.

Fava (also known as broad beans here) are some of my favorite. Wife and I have eaten about 10-12 kg since getting to Portugal. Boiled and then a bit of salt added afterwards.......so much fiber/protein!

Hope to make it down to South America in the future. How are the roads for biking in your new area?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

What beautiful landscape! What sort of trees do you have?

J_

Post by J_ »

Thanks for the beautiful photos bigato. It is nice to see your environment and to feel your excitement being in such.
A pity that it is such a long distance from where I live, otherwise I would come to have a coffee with you and a good walk to admire the landscape.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Amazing space. My mental image of Brazil is wildly off. I did not realize people were living like that.

chenda

Post by chenda »

That looks so beautiful Bigato, I am very happy for you. I believe you are south Brazil, Sao Paulo district ? Anyway, look forward to hearing more about your new rural lifestyle.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

Whoa that looks fantastic. I often think about a rural setup for my ERE-life
I believe it to be incredibly superior to a city setting in terms of potential resiliency, as it would be relatively easy to include a garden, some fruit plants and chickens.
Once you have a roof over your head and can sustain yourself in terms of food, you're almost certain to survive anything but the zombie apocalypse and a Mad Max scenario

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

J_, maybe we can share a ride? 😁

rube

Post by rube »

J_ and McTrex, count me in to share a ride! :lol: I would love to see the place from Bigato (and meet in person).

Bigato, I love your journal and I am very curious how the move and the new place turns out for you!

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

You’re such a nice person.
I’m not a vegan but I’ve lived a full year within vegans and I was the one cooking most of the time (because that’s what I love) so I promise if I ever come squatting around your place I’ll make myself useful somehow.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

You are living like a king! How are you filtering the water from the creek? What's the bathroom setup on the property?

Dave

Post by Dave »

I'm loving the pictures and descriptions of your setup in the countryside, great stuff!

sky

Post by sky »

Very impressive, such a beautiful place

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

That is a lot of fill for a relatively small culvert/bridge. Judging by the height of the stream banks there could be much more flow in the stream. Is your uncle not worried about overwhelming culvert capacity in the wet season?

The bread crust looks fairly soft, I guess due to the ceramic bowl or maybe a wet dough? It looks like a giant muffin! Do you have a preferred spread or filling?

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I'm in love with your updates Bigato, and am already scheming a motorcycle trip from California to swing by. Not only is your land beautiful and fertile, but you're clearly embedded in a community of family and good people. It makes me happy to know places like that exist not just in my dreams!

I went composting toilet two years ago and would never go back. Maybe you're already well versed on the topic, but I found The Humanure Handbook a great resource. There is a ton of, in my opinion, flawed and confusing information about the topic, which I think that book cuts through well.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

You are living my dream- Southern version.

I am a big fan of the humanure concept, but I am now wondering how it could/should be adapted if you believe you are infected with intestinal pathogen. Maybe completely dried then burned?

More generalized problem would be closing the loop at microscopic level.

Seppia

Post by Seppia »

I'm curious about a couple things if you don't mind me asking:

How far are you from a midsize city? you mention 6 km but is that a city or a small town? You seem to be so far removed I'd have expected more than that.

How do you get internet there? mobile hotspot or is Brazil so cool you have good bandwidth even in the countryside?