bigato's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
theanimal

Re: bigato's journal

Post by theanimal »

Best of luck bigato. Hoping your illness passes quickly.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Get well soon Bigato!

J_

Post by J_ »

Dear bigato, a pity to hear you are sick. Take a lot of rest, yourself knows a lot about good nutrition and you are young. I wish you all the best to come over this disease!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

bigato wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 pm
Let's see if I get cabin fever! :)
In hindsight, it seems like it was a good idea not to get that basement apartment without a window. Glad you didn't listen to me!

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Didn't know you were Brazilian. Eu quero aprender o portugues! Mais somente posso falar o portunol :)

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Glad you seem to be doing well. Email is better; PM me.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

That sounds really interesting and a great way to make some gains on quality of life AND future living space. Seems like if you can make the transition pretty smooth then you'll be a great negotiation spot to keep working remotely if you can down the road. Hope it all works like you're planning.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

That sounds likes a great plan. I'm looking forward to reading about life in the countryside.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Sounds great bigato, look forward to hearing about your nightime escape and rural life :)

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Wonderful development in your plan! Curious to hear about how it goes.

J_

Post by J_ »

Ahh Bigato, good that you have not sold your country retreat some years ago. I wish you good luck with your plan!

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

Yeah good idea, cities are not the place to be when SHTF as evidenced by all the zombie apocalypse movies. How much do you expect your expenses to go down once you're at your own place and no longer paying the rent? Also, IIRC you have two properties on a piece of land and your original plan a few years ago was to remodel and rent our the bigger one and live in the smaller one - am I remembering this correctly and ] is this still the plan?

classical_Liberal

Sounds like a great move bigato! I can't wait to see how it turns out. Personally, I've found too rural is just not for me. I like a bit of excitement and social vibe from more urban life. So the small city near natural geataways seems to be the best for me.

I'm curious why you moved away to begin with? Was it just for work, or for the excitement a younger version of yourself craved? If so, it should go great going back, but if there were reasons you left to begin with that still may be applicable in your life, at least acknowledge those. The past is always viewed with rose colored glasses, so best to acknowledge any issues you had in the past living rurally, so that you're best equipped to handle them this time around.

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

bigato wrote:
Thu Apr 16, 2020 1:17 pm
But it’s such a different life that it’s hard to compare expenses. But they will be much lower than the lowest that I could manage in the city. There’s also the detail that the city environment makes it harder to not be compelled to spend in a lot of ways, while at the countryside a lot of these problems just go away effortlessly.
Absolutely. While we are only away 12 km from the next medium-sized town it is always easier/faster to cook a meal at home instead of going out, or to look for entertainment at home before driving away.

Of course one needs the right temperament for all this "rural tranquillity" ;) to enjoy it, plus it is a matter what you are used to. DH and I grew up in typical German urban settlements, but after mucking around on our own few hectares we feel pretty much cramped back at our parents places. But since you grew up rural it will probably not much of a readjustment for you, I suppose. I'm looking forward to reading along with your move! How very exciting!

classical_Liberal

bigato wrote:
Sun Apr 19, 2020 7:21 am
but you probably get the idea.
Yes I do!

This sounds like it'll be great for you man!

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Cool! I've been thinking your move should be happening soon, so glad to hear it started well. It'll be a fun adventure to get your place how you like. As you know, we all like pictures if you feel like documenting and sharing your set up.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Very good move. I can’t wait to get out of the city, but remain stuck for the time being.

sky

Post by sky »

Congrats, it looks like your quality of life just went way up!

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

I like it!

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

Wow, what a beautiful place. What a contrast with the sun and the clouds too. Much better than being in any city IMO.