bigato's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
saving-10-years

Re: bigato's journal

Post by saving-10-years » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:29 am

This is a LOT of change happening with your life at one time. I wish you every success with your transitions - the country, job, housing, education and relationship initiatives.

YoungAndWise

Post by YoungAndWise » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:39 am

Holy crap, dude. Best of luck in this transition.

rube

Post by rube » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:37 am

Hefty. Wish you the best.

sky

Post by sky » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:41 am

I wish you good luck and wisdom. Perhaps this will open the door to new opportunities.

Linnie

Post by Linnie » Tue Apr 21, 2015 5:52 am

The first time someone told me "This is like a second chance in life" after my husband left; I bawled my eyes out - I was so not ready to appreciate that! Now I see that that is indeed true. Best of luck with your new direction!

m741

Post by m741 » Tue Apr 21, 2015 7:14 pm

Wow! I hope everything is OK, Bigato, and wish both of you the best (but mostly you :D )!

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Tue Apr 21, 2015 8:47 pm

You know we're around if you need us, just holler!

mxlr650

Post by mxlr650 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:09 am

And guys, I have news. After seven years I am single again.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bekvgMEcgqI#t=67

Enjoy your newfound freedom! :lol:

Star*Bucks

Post by Star*Bucks » Mon May 04, 2015 4:53 am

I enjoyed reading your journal & I'm happy to see the great progress you've made. I'm sorry to hear about the break up man. I know you stated you wanted to leave Brazil but they have the most beautiful women there from what I hear. I hope to be there next year for Carnival since it's during my birthday. I also heard about the crime there and it can be very bad; I hope to avoid that. My advice to you Bigato is to come to the Bay Area! I spent my entire life in Nor Cal & it's absolutely beautiful, there are lots of tech companies always hiring as well as start ups. The down side is it's expensive and lots of traffic on the freeways. To save money if you would be coming over single, you could rent a room instead of your own apartment craigslist.org is a decent place to check but always vet the place/owner first. Let me know if you need any advice/help I'd be happy to share what knowledge I have.

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu May 07, 2015 4:53 am

Thank you very much guys. Your words really meant a lot to me in the very stressful days that I endured after the separation.

Hey Star*Bucks, I assure you that there are lots of ugly women here too, in fact the great majority of them are ugly. Do not be fooled by propaganda, it's only to steal your money. Carnaval is disgusting and very expensive. I am sure you can find lots of interesting women in USA, it's a very big country.

Thank you for your advice on the bay area, I'll think about it.

sohakes

Post by sohakes » Sun May 10, 2015 1:49 pm

Hey, I'm brazilian and didn't read all of your journal yet, but I was curious about your development. It's kind of fun seeing your posts from 2011 with you living in a small place in the countryside, and now talking about how this is not for you. I'm a developer (and I think you too from what I've seen) from Sorocaba/SP, and that's not really countryside, but it's not São Paulo/SP :P.

I went to Toronto last year, stayed the entirety of 2014 (Science without Borders, aka Ciências sem Fronteiras government program)! It's such a multicultural place that I don't think you will have nay problems there. I'm not sure of going back because I don't like the idea of staying far from my family and friends, but it's a great place, and there are many opportunities for devs. I was on an unpaid internship there because I wanted to work with games, and the company I went to don't pay the first 6 months I think (and there are not many game companies hiring, there are lots of people trying to get in them). But my friend went on another startup there, and he received something close to 2k CAD/month for an internship. I receive 1400 reais being an intern here, 2k CAD is such an enormous amount to me. I only think of going back because for developers it's the perfect place, at least for now. If you have any questions just ask. Never suffered any prejudice there too, and you can satisfy all your brazilian cravings on Little Portugual, there is a good bakery there that sells delicious coxinha. It's not really frugal, but you may indulge yourself a little sometimes, I think, staying far from home is not always fun.

I will read more of your journal to decide on my situation too, I don't know any brazilian websites or forums about ER, and most of the things I see here and on MMM doesn't apply well. Like, it's not a good idea to invest on the stock market here, right? But "Tesouro Direto" looks good. It would be cool if you know anything like that directed to our situation on Brazil, although now you are planning to move.

bigato

Post by bigato » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:40 am

Hi, sohakes. Thank you very much for the advice!

I don't know, but personally I found that most, if not all ere strategy applies here the same way they it applies in first world countries. Regarding specific advice on investments, the best I can tell you is that there's no shortcut. You really have to study and understand the basics of the theory behind it, to be able to make profitable decisions. Do not go by the common sense.

If you do not have the time nor the inclinations to do so, maybe you could study the Permanent Portfolio, that's an strategy that is simple and does not requires so much study on your part.

bigato

Post by bigato » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:49 am

Guys, I was promoted to a new position inside the company, still as a programmer, but in another city and making a lot more money. Somewhere between twice to thrice as much, I'm not even sure how much. Now I'll be automatically back to ere level savings soon! Except that the ere age is going away, since I'm 34 already. But as I said before, I'm enjoying my career and do not plan on stopping any time soon.

I'll be moving to another city in a month or so. Expenses should stay about the same level, specially because this time I'll rent an apartment close to the job. But, I'll start working 8 hours a day instead of 6 (that's fine because i enjoy it). Plus, it will be a position where my work have more chances to be more respected and widely recognized. I'm very happy!

Chad

Post by Chad » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:51 am

Congratulations! Sounds like things are going very well...more money at a job you like. I don't think you need to apologize for not retiring. :)

bigato

Post by bigato » Wed Jun 10, 2015 6:53 am

Eheheheh thank you very much Chad! :-)

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:26 am

More money and some travel (new place to discover in depth) sounds great. Congrats.

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:21 am

Wait, what? It's possible to live where workdays are only 6 hours long?!?

bigato

Post by bigato » Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:24 am

Sure, work at a bank here in Brazil. Up to some level of responsibilities, workdays are determined by law to be six hours a day only, from Monday to Friday. You have a 15 minutes break, which make it 6h15 in practice.

J_

Post by J_ » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:52 pm

After the other news, which was sad, life is now pointing in pleasant directions for you. Glad to hear that from you, enjoy it!

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Jun 15, 2015 1:00 pm

Thank you very much, J_!!!

C40

Post by C40 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 3:57 pm

Hey - congratulations on the promotion! That's an incredible raise!! :o :shock: :D

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Jun 15, 2015 4:10 pm

Thank you C40! My previous move to this current programming job was a losing move financially speaking, but now it really proved to be a good move, in that it allowed me to get this higher paying position.

YoungAndWise

Post by YoungAndWise » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:48 pm

Congrats bigato!

-YAW (although you know my real name know :/ )

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:36 pm

Thank you YAW!!!

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:48 pm

It's been over two years and tomorrow I'm starting at a new position inside the company, so I guess it's time for an update. In case someone still cares to read. :)

I came here thinking of this place as a temporary stop before moving out to Canada, but then in the meantime I found out that I like this new city very much, and the immigration plan went to the back burner. This is probably one of the best cities in the country for me to live in while still working as a non-telecommuting programmer (considering that such a job usually would require me to live in a big city). This is Brasilia, the capital of Brazil, a city that was completely planned out before they started to build. I happen to have a gate in the back of my condominium which opens to the biggest urban park in the world (sorry USA #2 here :-). We have plenty of sunny days, only about 111 days of rain per year in average. And yet, we have the lowest yearly average temperature among the country's state capitals, at 21.2 degrees celsius. We have the highest percentage of people practising sports among all cities in the country, and running and riding bikes is quite common here. We have free open events outdoors almost every other weekend, like free live music in the park and others.

I arrived at July 2015, and by March 2016 I decided that two years without riding a bicycle was too much for me. Actually, I did ride my bike at Sao Paulo once. But I've got rid of mine when I moved here (not worth it the moving costs) and was postponing getting a new one since I was planning to stay in Brasilia only one year tops. But then as I started to enjoy this city, I finally decided to put an end to this dark time of my life during which I didn't ride. I got a fixie, first time I rode one, and was hooked. Been riding ever since, and got some other bikes. I own 4 of them now, each of them for a very good reason I swear :). They were 5 at some point, but only because I've got such a bargain at an old model that I was able to resell it for twice the price, making about 50% of profits after some fixes here and there.

One of my bicycles is a single speed, chromoly frame, which I build buying piece by piece. I started seeing bicycles as a fun way to travel again, but with the difference that for the first time in my life, influenced by the fixie crowds, I started looking at it as a sport. With some advice from fellow forumite @C40, whom competed at elite at some point, I trained enough that I rode my single speed, then 44x18, for 3017km from here to Montevideo, Uruguay, in 24 days in January 2017. Not bad for a then 35 years old guy, huh? Wrote a small book while riding, which another fellow forumite from Brazil edited and translated to English for me. Yeah, I could do it myself, but his English is way more enjoyable to read than mine. It's not published yet because it's small (75 pages in pocket size) and I'm thinking about merging it with the next one that I'll write during the next bicycle trip vacations, in January 2018. I'm thinking about flying back to Montevideo and resuming the riding from there, north bounded. Like a around the world bicycle trip, one month per year. I've been training hard to be able to ride as much as I possibly can in a month, not because I only have 30 days a year of vacations, but also because of the challenge.

I had some short relationships in these two years, and learned a couple of important things about me in this regard. The best thing that happened to me in this regard was to find the book "Women who love too much", by Robin Norwood (hint: it's not only about women). I think everybody who was or will be in a relationship at any point in life would benefit from reading this. For some as me, it could be life changing.
Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/Women-Who-Love-T ... 1416550216

In this regard, I can tell that it took me a while to heal from the breakup I related back there in Sao Paulo. Also, only about one year after I was single again, there was this day that it dawned on me that I was finally starting to be me again; to be that best version of me that I want to be. Off course that is always a work in progress, but I feel much better now. I don't blame my ex nor blame the relationship; I am the only person responsible for my own life. But despite that, it made me question how much we are shaped and changed by the people we have a relationship with. Also, when you are inside the relationship, you tend to forget that. Hence the importance of choosing very wisely, and cautiously.

My position at work has been ok. I liked the challenges, but disliked the management most of the time. So I solved like half of the challenges and that was about how much my motivation lasted. Not that everybody cared about me solving those problems, nor would they acknowledge them. Let alone give me time to work on them. But it was fine anyway. Part of these behaviour was, in my opinion, because I was working IT outside the IT department. "Shadow IT", a phenomenon that happens in several big companies. I trust that being inside the IT department now, my work will be more recognized and the managers will have a bit more clue about what is going on. About same wage if you are wondering, which is a good one. Well, six months to one year of reduced wage as a trainee, and then it will be up like 5% from present wage. It's only a strategic move, not a promotion.

I've been living without thinking much about money and spending quite a lot of it. I find I lack the motivation to be so disciplined as before, now that I enjoy my job and my life so much, and don't see much reason to retire. But yet, the money piles up and a couple of weeks ago it was sizeable enough that I implemented the permanent portfolio and started reading about investing. I intend to have 80 to 90% of my liquid money there, and play with the rest in risky and educational moves that could eventually earn me a higher reward or at least some tough education on the subject of making money. I've been also thinking that I maybe I would like to get rich. Not that I would have any use for huge amounts of money myself, but I figured it should be more fun than playing tetris or bubbles. I don't mean just growing capital over the course of a lifetime, but actually getting rich in like 5 or 10 years. Been thinking about this game.

I've always been in a defensive position most of my life, but I've been noticing that those days seems to be over. I am in a quite safe position financially and job-wise. I am back to working 6 hours a day again, monday-friday. I enjoy my life. I don't have much more problems to run from, so I've been looking for challenges to run after. Like this bicycle trip I did this year. Or the apparently useless idea of becoming rich. Or others that I'm yet to find out. But I changed so much as a person that nowadays I even enjoy playing boardgames, which I deemed a plain waste of time in the past. Come to think of it, I can now even walk in the park without any other objective other than walk in the park and yet feel good about it. I feel like I reached peak satisfaction in my life, and from now on it's only a matter of being careful enough not to ruin it all, but also keep on learning and challenging myself enough to have pleasure from a sense of evolution.

Now that I started thinking about investments again, I see that I'm not very far from being financial independent anyway. If I would just sell cheap my rural property and move to the urban one, I could already live from passive income if I would just buy government bonds. They are currently paying inflation plus about 5% here in Brazil, and I would feel safe enough living from that and doing other stuff for fun and eventual money. Or I could move to the rural property and produce most of my needs there. Could renovate the bigger house in the rural property and rent it for weekends while living on the smaller one. That should suffice even without growing food. Hell, I believe I could grow 70% or more of my food even in the urban lot, given some practice and research. By the way, I recently became vegan after watching some documentaries, which should make producing all of my food even easier. I have options, but I really see no reason to quit my job for now.

I probably forgot some stuff, feel free to comment and ask if interested. Thank you if you read this far.