bigato's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
bigato

Re: bigato's journal

Post by bigato » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:52 pm

Today, for the first time after 10 years and a month of training, I submitted my current brazilian jiu jitsu teacher. And I did it twice in the same fight!

Sorry, this has nothing to do with ERE, but I had to write down here :)
It is not polite to start speaking to everybody in class that I did it, and some of you that take the time to read my journal know more about me and my life than most people in bjj.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob » Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:56 pm

Congrats, so now you're a full Jedi-knight!

m741

Post by m741 » Mon Mar 10, 2014 10:50 pm

Wow bigato! Congrats! What a huge step.

steveo73

Post by steveo73 » Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:13 am

bigato wrote:Today, for the first time after 10 years and a month of training, I submitted my current brazilian jiu jitsu teacher. And I did it twice in the same fight!
Congrats ? How did you submit him ? What belt are you ? Do you compete and at what level and how well ?

I'm an ordinary 40 year old purple belt who doesn't compete so its not like its hard to beat my experiences. I submitted my last instructor when he let me. I haven't submitted either of my current instructors but they are big tough black belts who have competed at high levels (abu dhabi/ufc/mundials).

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:59 am

Thanks guys! I know that you appreciate the value of effort and dedication.

Steveo, it was first an armlock, and then the second time it was an omoplata. I am purple belt, but have a peculiar history. I trained 6 years with my first teacher, and then went to live 4 years in the countryside, where I started to teach classes because there was no place to practice in the city. I had no teacher to graduate me at the time. Most of my friends who trained with me when I was here in Sao Paulo some years ago, are black belts now. My purple belt is falling apart, lol. I am not competing currently.

Chad

Post by Chad » Tue Mar 11, 2014 6:08 am

Congratulations, that's nice accomplishment. I would prefer that over the black belt.

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu Mar 20, 2014 6:43 pm

Thanks Chad! I also do!

workathome

Post by workathome » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:45 pm

That's awesome, congrats bigato. I'd love to learn some BJJ moves.

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu Mar 20, 2014 7:54 pm

In August 2013 I participated in a hiring process for a position inside the company that was able to make me excited about. I was not able to win the position because there was a company rule forbidding me to make that leap from my previous basic position to the one I was aiming. But the guys liked my resume and gave me a recommendation for another position inside the company for the same kind of work (web development), although for a lower pay.

Since I was living in another city in the countryside where I already have my own property, the increase in pay was eaten by the rent I am paying now, living in Sao Paulo. I moved essentially for my satisfaction at doing something that I love.

But last week, another position opened for the same place and function that I initially applied for. Another hiring process was open and I am participating. The first phase was resume selection and I was one of the invited to the second phase that took place today. I answered an written test. I am not sure how many people are participating, because the process was open for people inside the company from all the country. But at my room there was about 50 people doing the test with me, but they said more people were doing the test in other cities. It was a very nice and well written test, good enough to evaluate the quality of the candidates. I don't know if I will be the one to win, but judging by the quality of the questions I am sure that they will be able to select a very capable person. There's always the possibility that someone inside the company is geeking out more than I in this set of skills, but I am pretty optimistic.

It is mostly for the increase in money, but also because there are some high level people there and it is nicer to work in this kind of environment. But life is good at my current position anyways.

In one to two weeks some people will be invited for interviews.

Tomorrow I will also pay the remaining debt from the money I borrowed to be able to pay for the rural property that I acquired in September 2012 (in addition to the money that I already had). I didn't expect to take so long to pay for it, but I did a wrong choice renovating the bathroom while I was still in debt, and then I spent some more money on new work clothes that I had to buy in a hurry when moving here last year. I also bought a couple of heavy-duty wood working machines that I ended up not using. Upon knowing that I would be moving to Sao Paulo, I was able to return the machines to my uncle and we did an agreement that he will pay me with work redoing the roof of the rural property. Now I will start to have some money to finish the rural property renovation and hopefully start to rent it out this year.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years » Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:25 am

This all sounds very good. I wish you success with the interview process.
I am sure that they will be able to select a very capable person.
Hoping that this person will be you. Very capable sounds right ;)
Last edited by saving-10-years on Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Mar 21, 2014 6:31 pm

Oh thank you very much!

Today by the morning I received a call. I scored 29 out of 40 possible points and placed second on the test, while the first place did 30.5 points. But there was a question where they didn't gave me half the points despite having answered half of the question correctly (there were two parts). That should be one or two more points. The third scored 20.5, and the fourth I don't know. These four people including me were invited for an interview that took place today and ended a couple of hours ago. By the beginning of next week I will receive an invitation for another interview (with the big boss there) or a feedback by telephone if another person wins.

saving-10-years

Post by saving-10-years » Sat Mar 22, 2014 1:51 am

Great score. Hope the next stage goes well.

I should say congratulations already because coming at the top (sounds like equal first?) at this stage will I suspect do you a lot of good even if you don't get the job. Hope you get a chance to impress the big boss.

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Apr 11, 2014 10:25 pm

Thanks, saving-10-years.

But... it wasn't this time. The guy called me and said that they really really wanted to put me in the position, but they weren't able at this time. There are rules on the company that will prioritize those with a college degree. He says he still wants me there, and that he wants me there soon. Also said that every one of the other three programmers there wanted me there. I'm thinking about getting the cheapest degree I can get (it doesn't matter which degree for the company rules). The shorter ones will still take two years.

On the bright side, last April 25 I paid the remaining debt (from the money I lent to buy that rural property). Wife quit the job because of awful working conditions and got offered another one, this time with great people, paying a bit more than double the previous one, but now full time (8-17).

In the current job we are hiring two more programmers. I am preparing a test for the interview. We received some really great resumes and I am very excited by the prospect of being able to select two very high level guys to work with us. I hope they are much better than I am, to help me learn more and instigate the competitive in me! If I am staying longer where I am, at least I will make it the best and more fun working environment for programmers that I am able to get!

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue May 06, 2014 7:34 pm

They managed to negotiate with my department to borrow me for them for 60 days, starting this monday. So now is my chance to dedicate and show what I am capable of. These two days I was already able to see that the guys there are really very smart. This is the kind of environment where I want to work!

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Wed May 07, 2014 10:00 am

Excellent!

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:04 pm

Since one member asked, I'll update this :) Well I've not been updating nor reading much of the forums since I turned from an ere-wannabe to a careerist and workaholic to some extend. I still love you guys, but I don't think I have that much to contribute anymore. But still, if someone wants to read I'll update, since this is a nice place to write and receive free advice from very smart people!

Not many news on the job promotions front, I am still at the same position/wage/department. There are a lot of rules and bureacracy that makes it hard to climb faster. After I complete two years in the position (next october), it will be easier, but I would rather not wait that much. You can guess I am a bit bored because of that.

New guys that were hired helped a great deal with building a new foundation for the systems we use there now. I became a kind of unofficial team leader, and these days I spent more time tutoring the less experienced programmers than actually programming. That's not bad, I think I like it. I feel sad sometimes because I would like to see dedication in people and not everybody is willing to put as much effort as necessary into the art. On the other side, I've been learning to judge better how much I can expect from each person and avoiding giving the wrong kind of assignment to each person, in a way that everybody can still be productive within their limitations. Their progress also makes me see very clearly how much of success in this field (or in any other I guess) is due not so much to natural talent or intelligence, but to time and effort that one puts towards improving their skills.

The bigger news is that after last brazilian presidential elections in November 2015, I became very disappointed with my country and culture. I kind of lost hope, and started to think about moving abroad to have a better life. I have a quite reasonable pay for my country, I have the most satisfaction I ever had in any job in my life. I have a couple of properties that are worth some money, I have a stable job. But for the first time in my life I started to see that a lot of the feeling of not fitting in that I always had in my life, is because of the culture of my country. So much corruption among everybody, in all levels. We are robbed daily since birth in so many levels and people who are educated to be honest have a very hard time findind their place. Also, economy is going south, and we faced the worst drought recorded here in Sao Paulo last year. It's nothing when compared to what California is suffering, but people and government are much less prepared here, and it will take time to adapt and build the infraestructure to live with this new climate. Meanwhile, we will suffer. Now we still have water in the pipes everyday, but only in the morning.

Also we have people being killed here daily by thieves, the violence numbers are quite ugly. You get used to seeing it on the tv and you can rationalize that it won't happen to you, but statistically is not a good place to be. Just this week I had to hit a guy on the street to defend myself: he asked for something and put his hand on my shoulder and then I pushed him back because he did physical contact with me. I kept walking, but he became mad because I pushed him, and then came after me. First he tried to throw a small rock at me, and then he got a really big one. I managed to get cover and was able to get close to him when he went behind a tree to get more rocks and wasn't seeing me. Since I had told him a lot of times to go away and he wouldn't, I had to use a punch and a hard kick to convince him otherwise. He had a big rock in his hand, if I wasn't paying attention he could have sneaked behind me and could have hurt me badly. When I first pushed him back, we were at like 100m away from a couple of cops. I don't know if they didn't see anything or if they didn't care.

So, after some research I decided that I want to try to immigrate to Canada. Most likely Toronto. ERE guys sometimes make their pile in a richer country and then move to a cheaper one to fast track their way into retirement. I am doing it backwards :) The most difficult part will be selling my two properties I think. I have and ad online for the cheaper one, and I am learning to use facebook ads and google adwords to improve my chances to sell them. So far, I had one thousand clicks in my ad and one single message asking for some details. I answered it, and the person didn't write back.

Because I felt I needed to have college or university degree, I started one in July 2014. I study via internet and it is two years long. I also have a electronics technician degree that I heard that will be recognized in Canada as "post-secondary", thus giving enough points in the immigration process to even make the college degree unnecessary. But I still have to send my diploma to make sure.

In other news, in December 2014 I became a brazilian jiu jitsu brown belt.

Not a very exciting life, and also not very ERE, but there you have it. :)

m741

Post by m741 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 9:19 pm

Good to see an update, and congrats on the jiu-jitsu brown belt. I'd still be curious to hear updates from someone who's "former ERE."

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:02 pm

I for one regularly checking for your updates.. :)
So, after some research I decided that I want to try to immigrate to Canada. Most likely Toronto. ERE guys sometimes make their pile in a richer country and then move to a cheaper one to fast track their way into retirement. I am doing it backwards :) The most difficult part will be selling my two properties I think.
I think that would be a difficult decision to make. All the best on making the move.

C40

Post by C40 » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:51 pm

If you make it up to Toronto within the next couple years, we may get a chance to meet. I go there sometimes for work. Toronto is a nice area and a true cultural melting pot. There are so many people there from so many places. From what I've heard, real-estate is VERY expensive!

Congratulations on the brown belt! That is a serious accomplishment!!

bigato

Post by bigato » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:36 am

Thanks for the interest and for the congratulations, guys.

Yeah LiberateMind, I think that selling that rural property will hurt me. That's probably why I am postponing putting an ad online for it. The other property I don't care that much about.

C40, thank you for the information regarding Toronto. It's not set on stone yet, but so far I thought that it would be a good place to work in my field and a place that I could maybe enjoy living in. Maybe after some more years working, or after I have more money and get some telecommuting job, I could explore more areas on the countryside. The good part is that even if I can't do that, I suspect that it could be a place where I would be reasonably satisfied to live and work for the rest of my life. That's not the case in Sao Paulo now, where I enjoy the work, the bjj, but mostly dislike the city, the people and the culture; so I always have this feeling that it should be only temporary. Another reason for Toronto is because I am too competitive. Not that I obssess over scoring more points than the guy next to me, I actually don't care about that. But I like to feel that I am pushing my limits and being good at what I do. I believe that a more competitive environment (when compared to smaller cities) like Toronto would be better for this. Also, the best jobs in my field tends to be available in bigger companies (or startups that are on their way to become big). I think that if I were to move to a smaller city in Canada, I would probably gravitate towards Toronto anyway. But when the time comes to actually decide what city I will go, I will try to get advice from all the canadians and americans here. Also, meet as much of you guys in person as possible :)

I also like that I will give up my stable job. I wasn't cut for this kind of stability, I would rather be able to move more and be rewarded by my accomplishments instead of being rewarded by sitting still over the years.

J_

Post by J_ » Sat Feb 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Dear Bigato,
Good to hear from you again. I think you have grown a lot the last years personally speaking. Sell your properties and go for another life/adventure. You seem to me to be a kind of warrior. Go on, it suits you, as I think that you do it very deliberate.

Linnie

Post by Linnie » Sun Mar 01, 2015 10:34 pm

I think that whatever you decide to do, you will land on your feet. :D

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:28 pm

Thank you, J_. Nice to hear from you too. Thank you for your advice.

Thank you very much Linnie :)

Guys, yesterday I and my wife were on the street, and we noticed that a junkie on the other side of the street was trying to break into a parked car. We kept walking. He tried another car. Then he started to come in our direction. Luckly for him our bus arrived just in time. Just some more motivation to keep working to move to Canada.

YoungAndWise

Post by YoungAndWise » Fri Mar 20, 2015 4:15 am

Stay safe, dude!

And good luck in getting into Canada.

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Apr 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Thank you YoungAndWise.

And guys, I have news. After seven years I am single again. I will now take time to get rid of a lot of things, organize my house and my thoughts, and see what direction I will take in my life.