Where are you and where are you going?
bigato

Re: bigato's journal

Post by bigato » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:22 am

Thank you very much MBGI!!

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Aug 02, 2013 4:58 pm

Hooorrayy!!!! We have decent Internet here!!! The wireless did work!

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Aug 06, 2013 6:31 pm

I came back home from the interviews. The first guy, that had the most interesting position, couldn't take me because of that requirement that I didn't met (minimum hierarchical level). But he recommended me to another person, who had two open positions to do a similar job, although the pay is not so good as in my first option. Moving there, with my additional costs, I will more or less break even, although working in a much more satisfying position, but in a ugly big city. I think I will go. I should know the result before the end of the month.

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:29 pm

Finally some news from the hiring process. My resume was one of the six selected (they need two people) and I was invited to the interview next Wednesday. It seems that there is a very good chance to get one of those two positions, specially because of the recommendation.

Magda

Post by Magda » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:16 pm

Good luck bigato! I'm crossing my fingers.

bigato

Post by bigato » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:49 pm

I thank you Magda for crossing your fingers for me, because I can't cross mine while I am studying and typing code at the keyboard! :)

robotic

Post by robotic » Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:00 am

Sounds exciting! Is there anything specific you're doing to prepare for your interview?

Best of luck.

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

Post by My_Brain_Gets_Itchy » Fri Aug 23, 2013 8:27 am

Good luck @bigato!

Whether it is this opportunity or the next, I have no doubt that you will achieve.

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 am

Robotic, the requirements they announced were quite simple: the person should know programming logic and basic sql, plus basic office software. Other than that, the usual set of subjective qualities that managers ask for: be interested, have good communication skills, be agile, etc. I am anticipating myself since I know the specific technologies that they are currently using there. I am studying them and planning on maybe finishing some small project using such technologies, to have something to show for them. Other than that, I will suit up well, cut my hair, be nice to people, and try not to appear too confident in my tech skills (although I am). I think that depending on the interviewers, you have to hide a bit to avoid to generate fear or jealousy from them.

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Aug 23, 2013 9:23 am

MBGI, it's going to be this one man, this one!!!

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Aug 30, 2013 12:57 pm

So the great news today is......

THE JOB IS MINE!!!!!!!

George the original one

Post by George the original one » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:07 pm

Excellent!

LiberateMind

Post by LiberateMind » Fri Aug 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Happy for you.. Congrats!!!

KevinW

Post by KevinW » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:53 pm

Congrats!

My_Brain_Gets_Itchy

Post by My_Brain_Gets_Itchy » Fri Aug 30, 2013 7:19 pm

The fist bump greeting is performed.

I'm going long bigato stock, upgraded analysis from outperform to strong buy.

bigato

Post by bigato » Mon Sep 02, 2013 4:43 am

Thanks friends! Now as soon as the new position that they opened up gets approved, what I hope that should happen in some few days, then my current boss will be notified that I'm moving out in 30 days.

Today is my first day back to work after vacations. I'm not sure if I'm going to tell the news to my boss before she receives the official notification.

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:52 pm

I'm in the process of renting a house in the city where I'll work. After a lot of researching in person (internet didn't help much) and some bidding down, I've got a price somewhat below the market, in a reasonable location. The owner is an old woman that is now living in a nursing home. Her two sons are taking care of her property. I've managed to buy all the contents of the house (it just doesn't have a bed), including furniture, table and chairs, sofa set, stove, refrigerator, washing machine, even a television (!) for R$2k (for reference, the rent is R$1.1k/month, while minimum wage here is currently R$678.00/month). Most things are new. I'm moving in there october 13 (Sunday) and I start at my new job position on Monday.

bigato

Post by bigato » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:22 pm

The house is rented and I started at my new job position. My wife, pets and our belongings will come this weekend. There is a lot to learn and do, enough to fill all my waking hours with work in working hours and research in my 'free' time. I am loving it. It's all about subjects that I love such as programming. The boss of the boss of my boss is obsessed with efficiency, simplicity, even seems to know the pareto law very well. People fear him but I really liked him. It seems like he is a lot like I would be if I were in his position. There are a lot of opportunities, and the technical guy who interviewed me in the hiring process is going up to another position in another department on monday. We have a lot of freedom to find new and better solutions to the problems at hand. I was never at a startup, but I guess that it probably feels like one. I'm very happy!

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:40 pm

Congratulations :) So what is your plan for your new and old house in your old city?

anomie

Post by anomie » Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:50 pm

Best of luck Bigato.

So what ever happened to the plans of the small farm in the mountains, living in a small house, raising food.

Did I dream that?

would you care to bring your readers up to season 2/ current plans of "Bigato's journal"?

best wishes,
anomie

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Oct 20, 2013 3:02 pm

LiquidSapphire wrote:Congratulations :) So what is your plan for your new and old house in your old city?
Hi LS, thanks!

I'll keep the new house, the big rural property. It needs some fixing that I should be able to do in 2014 and after that I should be able to rent it for weekends for good money. The house in the city, I sometimes think about selling it, but I am not sure. Even if I can get twice what I spent there, it is still too little money for a house. You can't easily find prices like that anywhere else that I am aware of. That neighborhood can't keep with such low prices forever. Right now, my uncle is managing it for me in exchange for the small money he can make by renting it out.

bigato

Post by bigato » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:25 pm

anomie wrote:Best of luck Bigato.

So what ever happened to the plans of the small farm in the mountains, living in a small house, raising food.

Did I dream that?

would you care to bring your readers up to season 2/ current plans of "Bigato's journal"?

best wishes,
anomie
I like "season 2", lol

First year after ERE I was able to secure a very very cheap small house in the city. At that time I was still so unhappy with my job experiences and possible future, suffering everyday. Crying in the bathroom while changing clothes to start the work day. I needed every piece of hope that I could have. I was decided to go as extreme as necessary to get out of hell.

If I was to keep living in that house, I should be able to reach FI by around december 2013 or so. But I wanted to live in a bigger rural property where I could be able to provide for most of my own needs, produce my food and have some surplus. I calculated that depending on the price of the property, I should be able to justify the spending because I would save on food. Indeed, if I was to produce all of my food, that would be true. But then I've got a problem. The rural property that I've bought had a small house, but also a big house. And the big one was needing a lot of renovations. Also I was not able to produce all of my our own food because of having a job. The upside is that once I get that big house ready to rent on weekends, it will be a source of income enough to maybe even pay for all of my expenses and for its own maintenance.

But I was in strange position. After having the big house ready for renting, and by growing at least part of our food, I would be in an awesome ERE position. But I could not risk doing it too soon. Because I still was tied to my job, I had to pay not only for the material for the house renovation, but also for most of the labor. Because I couldn't leave the job, it was not easy to produce most of my food. All of that means that in order to feel safe I would need more safety margin than I was planning when I was desperate in my job.

Because, while I was improving my ERE position by buying that first small house, then acquiring the rural property, producing some food, meanwhile I was also learn to withstand better the work environment and was in fact starting to get good at my function at the time (selling bank products). Now that I was feeling safer and better, I also started to have bigger dreams for the future. Looking back, if I was to keep living in the first small house in the city, I probably would reach FI sooner. But we wanted a bigger rural property, we wanted more space and privacy, more access to nature, more tools, a shop and some other things. If I was still desperate to get out of the job like I was in the past, I probably should have stayed put and worked around those wants of ours to be able to get part of them without buying a new property. But feeling safer I decided to risk a move to a very improved ERE position where I could have a lifestyle that we would like more.

After buying the rural property and starting to renovate it, I started to find out that I indeed did a very good move and a very good deal but I would need to work longer for the new cashflow improvements to start to actually show up in my account. Then I thought that if I was to work longer, I could as well work longer earning more and doing something that I like better. So here I am. Not saving more yet, because of the added rent expense, but at least working in something that I am loving; and with effort and some luck I may get a raise sometime in the future.

Now it was only my first week in the job, but I am loving it so far. We still plan on not having children here in the big city, and the clock is ticking for us. But if it wasn't for this detail, I could probably keep at this job much longer. I should have risked more to get a job at software development fifteen years ago when I entered the workforce. I always knew how much I liked and was good at it and that it has potential to make me money. But I guess that everybody sometimes dreams how it would be nice to have our current level of life experience 10 years ago.

bigato

Post by bigato » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:13 pm

Oh shit one of the new bosses is a mac fanboy and wants presentations with charts as pretty as apple's... except that we don't have any apple equipment there. :-(

bigato

Post by bigato » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:07 pm

I am loving the programming job and see no reason to stop any time soon. I am now in fact thinking more and more of ways that I could continue working on this while somehow being able to live in a smaller city with more nature (better yet if I could live in the rural property that I already own). My focus changed away from retiring. I am now looking for ways to improve my life, my job, my skills and my pay. I still would like that my future children could experience groing in a rural place, at least in their childhood.

For the first time in my life I've growed some fat. Professional soccer athletes, for your reference, usually have around 11% of body fat; I was used to be around 5%. I am 10 kg heavier, with some more muscles and some more fat. It is probably probably because of the change in my lifestyle, specially because of the fact that I am not using the bike to commute anymore. Maybe I should. Because in my bjj training I feel that I could use some more stamina. Most of the days the bus I so full that I can't even use my time to read anyway. I was hoping that saving energy by using the bus I could focus more energy in my bjj training and get to a new level; but it is not working so well so far. Maybe it is also because I have eaten out more frequently, in part because I am meeting some old friends now that I am living here in Sao Paulo again. But also in part because wife (that is currently responsible for the food part) could help me some more if she would put more effort towards making sure I take food to work everyday.

As you may have noticed, there are some signals that I am not so focused in ERE anymore; and in fact I am not. Biking makes a lot of sense in a financial and health sense; the same applies to not eating out. Shame on me.

I once again received an invitation to go to another far away city to a better position inside the company, and programming, that is something that I really love to do. Sometimes I feel tempted, not because I don't like my current position. I would do the same there, except that making more money. But I like the problems that are yet to solve in my current place, I have nothing to see in that far away city, and I could make the same money here in this same city. Just need to wait for the opportunity to show up. Here it is also much closer to my two real estate properties (200km), against 1.200 km there.

Wife is still looking for a job in her field.

On my free time I am looking for projects ideas and business partners, as I have detailed in another thread. I intend to use the opportunity to focus more on some technologies that I am not currently using at my job and hopefully to start some alternative money making business.

bigato

Post by bigato » Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:53 pm

Some days ago we cracked the last frontier (for us) in home-made food: we managed to make (salmon) sushi at home. It was quite easy, really. Just get a piece of fresh fish, a good knife, and slice away. No need to pay absurd amounts to eat the same thing outside the comfort from home.

Last week wife got a job at as a children's teacher at a nearby school. The pay is not awesome, but she works 5 hours a day and the job is a 5 minutes walk from home. Now she is gaining experience and skills, both of which will be useful in the next, hopefully higher paying, job that she gets in the field.

I am rocking away at my job. It took me about two months to get to full speed on the frameworks and tools that were used to build the foundation of the intranet site we develop there. Now all those years of studying and practicing are showing.