Where are you and where are you going?
classical_Liberal

Re: bigato's journal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Free stuff! The rich get richer...

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Timeliness is a curious thing, isn't it? When one is in the consumer mindset it is the instant availability, paired with overnight delivery.
In our mindset it is being patient enough to wait until the stuff comes around.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

For those that are curious, as of this week I’m officially diagnosed as being in the autism spectrum, in what previously was called asperger syndrome but now is called high functioning autism.
Yeah. Me too. I just wanted to stop by and say thanks. Your journal helped me see the benefit of seeking some help.

My thoughts were very similar to those of scott 2. I suspected I would be diagnosed with Asperger's, but couldn't see how a label would be helpful.

Much to my surprise, it's been very helpful. So thanks, again.

mathiverse

Post by mathiverse »

@Riggerjack - In what ways did you find it helpful?

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

@ mathverse

I don't know how relevant my experience is to anyone else. I was diagnosed with Asperger's and PTSD. How much of each is still in question.

I have always thought differently than anyone I have ever met or read about. It's easy to think this is because other people are just not very smart, when school and tests are just pathetically easy. But of course this is harder to believe, after schooling is over, and the tests are far less aligned with my strengths.

But I also became more aware over the years that other people didn't grow up in a Chuck Palaniuk novel. Over in ffj's journal, he has some neighbors he wants to move away from. I was in several households like that as a kid. I enlisted shortly after school. Being in the army, during wartime, was by far the most stable and peaceful time in my life, to that point.

So then it is easy to think that the difference is background.

But still there are many aspects of dealing with people that are stressful and difficult. So my solution has been to increase distance. And keep increasing distance...

Understanding that some of the difference is perceptual has been very helpful.

Everyone has problems trying to figure out other people. I feel like we have all been working on our own jigsaw puzzle, from mixed sets, with missing pieces, and no real idea of what the picture is. But I have been doing my puzzle, with the pieces facedown.

By accepting that there are aspects of this puzzle that are simply invisible to me, I have been able to relax about trying to fit the next individual piece, and step back, looking at how all of the assembled bits could fit together.

It has opened up new, useful, ways of thinking about the puzzle. Not so much in a tips and tricks kind of way, more in a general, systemic way. Though I'm middle aged, and that may be a factor. The tips and tricks would probably have been very helpful when I was younger.

The real help has been in pointing out my blind spots, as bigato said. I don't think I could have found them on my own. Mentally, I was just skipping past them, without noticing. It's hard to correct patterns one doesn't notice.

I hope that helps.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

@bigato - one of your strengths that has repeatedly shown through in all these years is how good you are at talking to people to create a business arrangement.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Good luck, and I hope your symptoms dissipate soon.

Btw, out of interest are you Brazilian or did you emigrate there ?

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

I hope you recover quickly!

rube

Post by rube »

Be safe Bigato.
Good you have now the opportunity to work from home.

chenda

Post by chenda »

@bigato - seu ingles é perfeito :) Should make more of an effort with my Portuguese...

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

Best of luck bigato. Hoping your illness passes quickly.

McTrex

Post by McTrex »

Get well soon Bigato!

J_

Post by J_ »

Dear bigato, a pity to hear you are sick. Take a lot of rest, yourself knows a lot about good nutrition and you are young. I wish you all the best to come over this disease!

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

bigato wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:20 pm
Let's see if I get cabin fever! :)
In hindsight, it seems like it was a good idea not to get that basement apartment without a window. Glad you didn't listen to me!

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Didn't know you were Brazilian. Eu quero aprender o portugues! Mais somente posso falar o portunol :)

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Glad you seem to be doing well. Email is better; PM me.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

That sounds really interesting and a great way to make some gains on quality of life AND future living space. Seems like if you can make the transition pretty smooth then you'll be a great negotiation spot to keep working remotely if you can down the road. Hope it all works like you're planning.

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

That sounds likes a great plan. I'm looking forward to reading about life in the countryside.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Sounds great bigato, look forward to hearing about your nightime escape and rural life :)

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Wonderful development in your plan! Curious to hear about how it goes.