bigato's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Aaldert

Post by Aaldert »

A bit late to the party, but I'm drinking one for you now. And another.
Awesome and congratulations! \o/

GPMagnus

Post by GPMagnus »

Also a bit late for the party bigato, but I'll drink my next dark Belgian beer thinking of your wonderful property!
Very happy for you :))))))

J_

Post by J_ »

congratulations, I saw your eyes lightning!!
(or were those of the dog? I must be drunk too!)

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Somehow I missed the pictures. I love this one!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigatojj/8 ... 578413450/

rube

Post by rube »

Hi bigato, I found this forum recently and read your topic in one go. Very nice written and inspiring. Thanks for that and please continue!
I'm so glad for you you bought the house and are almost there!

M

Post by M »

@bigato - Out of curiosity - What are your plans after you achieve ERE and quit your job?

C40

Post by C40 »

PARTY EVERY DAY

Marius

Post by Marius »

Upvoting C40's suggestion!

(partying doesn't have to be expensive)

rube

Post by rube »

Thanks Bigato. But I must say you used your motivation in a great way, in contrary to many other people facing similar issues.
I'll stick around and might start my own journal in a while. I would like to get some figures more detailed first though.

rube

Post by rube »

Hi Bigato, why won't can't you move to your new house sooner?

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

Bigato, all I can say is that it's been wonderful to read your progress!
What strikes me most is how much more relaxed you are now. Originally you had a lot of anxiety and were trying to go in 6 directions at once. Security is healthy!

m741

Post by m741 »

Agree with George, you really seem much happier and in control than you were a few months ago - with the possibility of the property purchase, earning some extra money doing something you're passionate about, your wife getting her degree, and more security in your job.

m741

Post by m741 »

Ah! I somehow missed that. Those pictures were great - I just thought you were already living there :).

GPMagnus

Post by GPMagnus »

Hey bigato
I really understand how you are feeling - I was once in a very similar situation and I was mad at my friend for about a month. What helped me was the realisation that he felt so bad he could not bring himself to tell me the bad news. Today we are still friends, but I will always remember this feeling.
In any case, congratulations to your wife on becoming a teacher and do not lose faith - you are living your life the way you want, and that is the only important thing, meu amigo :)
Looking forward to more pictures of your new place :)
Magnus

m741

Post by m741 »

Wow, sounds like things are really going well for you, bigato.

GPMagnus

Post by GPMagnus »

Very happy for you bigato! You will have some expenses to rent out the big house to foreigners but even if you need to rent it out for 8 weekends a year that is still excellent.
I also agree that you should not sell capital assets such as land until their price is very high and you are sure you can get a better yield for a long time with another asset.
Cheers!

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Congrats on the your rural property!
I was looking thru your pictures, after reading through your full journal, and I was surprised by how dry it looks. You've talked about growing rice many times. I always associated rice with flooded fields in flatlands. Are you planning to terrace, or is there a different way to grow rice?
You were talking about a stream and carp, is that at this property? I didn't see any wet areas in the pictures.
I'm glad you found your place, there's nothing quite like owning your space, controlling how much your neighbors can affect your life.
Again, Congratulations.

LiquidSapphire

Post by LiquidSapphire »

Sounds like you are content and that is the most important thing. Congrats!

sshawnn

Post by sshawnn »

Hang in there bigato on the JOB.Soon your plans will be realized.
I want to experiment with masonry. I agree with you that it seems easy and if some careful techniques are applied it shouldnt be that hard to create brick structures.

Hottentot

Post by Hottentot »

I know what you mean. A friend of mine saved enough money to leave his job at the bank, it was sucking his energy. And that was not the first person i saw doing that.

I never worked in a bank and my family keep telling me i should try because it's wonderful and bla bla bla. I just said that i will never, in my entire existence, do it. Never.

Everybody that is outside a job says the job is wonderful.