Going, going - a step forward

Where are you and where are you going?
1Vikinggirl

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

Dear all,

I just have to share my news to people who will not call me crazy!
As said before, I may be ready for (E)RE (debt free, having rent and interest income, and a simple lifestyle.) But I lack the 'cojones' to step out completely, especially in this economy.
So thanks for the input and the great examples - I have at least taken one (major) step!

I resigned!
At the end of this year I leave the high-paying, status holding, soul destroying job I have been in for 12 years (complaining about for eight).

Instead I start a job with half the pay, regulated working hours and with a great opportunity for future freelance work. It is global, non-stationary and has an endless need (especially in a financial crisis).
(They couldn't believe someone with my background would want to work for them and I can't believe they actually only work Monday-Friday! And does not require formal office wear!!!!)
2012 is looking really good. I will start sleeping 8 hours a night, meet friends in the week and wear jeans to work. 2013 I can move country, either while staying in the job or going project based freelance.
Ah, the future is so bright I gotta' wear shades (Timbuk3)

8-D

seeker

Post by seeker »

wow! nicely done! I'm happy for you.
I think the easiest way to do it is to gradually reduce work, and see what it feels like, just like you have done!
Keep the updates coming.

m741

Post by m741 »

Congratulations! Working "part-time" (at least, compared to your previous employment) sounds like a good halfway step to retirement.

pooablo

Post by pooablo »

Yay! This is great news. I'm glad to hear that you found a positive solution for your current situation. :) I'd be interested to hear how your life changes with the new job.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

Congratulations, well done. May you be an asset to the new company and may you enjoy it. It sounds good!

freudgirl

Post by freudgirl »

Congrats! I look forward to the day when I can "step down" into my part-time, flexible, preferred job :)

palmera

Post by palmera »

Sweeeeeeeet! Congrats!
Now I will commence combing your previous posts :)

dot_com_vet

Post by dot_com_vet »

Congrats, that sounds like a dream!

elai

Post by elai »

What kind of job is it that it allows you to be location independent?

m741

Post by m741 »

Many freelancing jobs give you this freedom. Freelance web development, copyediting, etc. Basically anything that can be done over a computer is theoretically location-independent. I get the impression 1VikingGirl will be consulting in the financial field or something.

ExpatERE

Post by ExpatERE »

Congrats!!

1Vikinggirl

Follow-up 2010-2014 Re: Going, going - a step forward

Post by 1Vikinggirl »

Dear ERE forum -
I just want to post a short follow-up post, hoping also to inspire anybody struggling on the journey to ERE out there. Hang in there, a few years can make a huge difference!

As you see from the previous post, 2011 was a decisive year for me. Work had been quite awful and I set out to make a change. It was not easy and I did not respect the new company but I made it through training and experience building. In 2012 I took my new set of skills and left to join a client company and with that, I took a another huge ERE step forward.

My new employer does not require a specific location so I moved to a city where I always wanted to be. I live with a wonderful partner in an apartment where rent is capped and we focus life on living, rather than working. It is not ERE but we live for fun and learning, and work is one, but only one part of that. Answering previous questions, I now do environmental inspections of industrial sites.

I became debt-free early 2010 and had by January 2011 a net worth of 0.5 million (in an undisclosed currency).
My financial target for a minimal ERE is 3.5 million (4% return gives approximately the annual income students are expected to live on in this country.)
I am currently at 1.5 and own a house worth between 2 and 2.5 million (this will be sold this year, long story, huge stress).
Another year or two working and saving will put me safely over the ERE limit and then... then nothing will probably change.

With ERE in the bag, we will probably take months off work every year to go places, to study subjects in depth or to take long waking or cycling trips. We will probably move somewhere else for a while or years. But we will both continue to work as it gives us pleasure. Our lifestyle is frugal but not bare. We live on an amazingly low amount of money every month but at least one weekend every second month we travel somewhere, stay in a hotel and explore a new place.

With a couple of hard decisions and some serious budgeting, ERE has truly brought about an unimaginable lifestyle. I am very grateful to Jacob and you all fellow journeymen for inspiration and dedication in the process.

The best advice I can give is to do monthly budgets and calculation of net-worth. Do all of Jacob's 21 steps and dream, dream lots of dreams. Never forget to dream about what you will do when you can control your own time. It will be easy to avoid spending money when the dream is to [fill in the blank].

All the best for new year 2014,
1Vikinggirl

simplex

Re: Going, going - a step forward

Post by simplex »

Hi 1Vikinggirl,

thanks for the update. What a great story, living a form of ERE and having a fulfilling life.

Keep it going.

1taskaday

Re: Going, going - a step forward

Post by 1taskaday »

1Vikinggirl,

Loved this,will reread it often.