DutchGirl's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
DutchGirl

Re: DutchGirl's journal

Post by DutchGirl » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:27 pm

Yup, it would. A new part of life opening up for both of us, where work is just optional. I'm curious what it'll look like.

Today I told someone about my plans to quit work in 2-3 years time; or at the very least to reduce the workload a lot. Perhaps do some parttime or seasonal work. It was weird to tell someone other than my BF about this. It was hard to come clean about my plans, I was scared for criticism and disbelief. But it was funny, he was quite enthusiastic about it and congratulated me. This is someone who is in no way related to my workplace, so hopefully they don't hear about it until I'm ready to tell them about it (will probably be around half a year before I actually make a change; that's okay in my field of work and in the NL - plus by that time getting fired would just be a minor inconvenience and not a disaster).

So, that was something fun and different.

Moneywise, September was a pretty good month. My tax refund from 2017 arrived. (It was 1000 euros roughly; do I go back to 2017 and recalculate my savings rate? Or do I use this as "income" for 2018?). My paycheck was also a bit bigger than usual due to a refund of some business expenses.

September results: income 3100 (excluding the tax refund), expenses 2790 euros.
Total income after taxes for 2018 so far 32,800 euros. Total expenses so far 23,920 euros, so a savings rate for the year of 27%.

We each put 400 euros extra towards the household expenses due to buying (admittedly, nice) rugs for the living room. I pay almost a 1000 euros/month on the mortgage, however, around 400 euros/month is for paying down the principal so you could see this as (forced) savings.

The ceiling guy has promised to come next Wednesday... Fingers crossed.... This is becoming a saga. Or maybe a bit more boring than that, like a bible story like the ones where they start by listing someone's heritage until the 30th parent-of-parent.

herp

Post by herp » Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:38 pm

DutchGirl wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:27 pm
Yup, it would. A new part of life opening up for both of us, where work is just optional. I'm curious what it'll look like.

Today I told someone about my plans to quit work in 2-3 years time; or at the very least to reduce the workload a lot. Perhaps do some parttime or seasonal work. It was weird to tell someone other than my BF about this. It was hard to come clean about my plans, I was scared for criticism and disbelief. But it was funny, he was quite enthusiastic about it and congratulated me. This is someone who is in no way related to my workplace, so hopefully they don't hear about it until I'm ready to tell them about it (will probably be around half a year before I actually make a change; that's okay in my field of work and in the NL - plus by that time getting fired would just be a minor inconvenience and not a disaster).

So, that was something fun and different.
Very interesting! I've actually never told anyone IRL about my plans, I suppose partly because I have decades to go (planning for FI rather than ERE). I definitely share the expectation about pushback if one were to voice their plans.
DutchGirl wrote:
Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:27 pm
Moneywise, September was a pretty good month. My tax refund from 2017 arrived. (It was 1000 euros roughly; do I go back to 2017 and recalculate my savings rate? Or do I use this as "income" for 2018?). My paycheck was also a bit bigger than usual due to a refund of some business expenses.
I personally view income and expenses on a transaction basis. So I would treat the tax refund as income in September this year, as that's when the transaction took place. Keeps things simple.

Good luck with the ceiling! Don't forget to nag ;)

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:10 am

Well. Currently I'm working. I'm at home and I'm on call, and when the phone rings I have to pick up and give answers or advice. But in the meantime, I'm lying here on our bed, listening to the washing machine in the next room cleaning some of our clothes, and enjoying the autumn sun streaming inside. So I really should not complain too much about that job of mine, even though sometimes I do.

Still, of course not being on call and being able to be out and about would be even more awesome.

Ah, phone call.

The ceiling has been repaired now. It needed to dry (almost done now), and now it only needs to be painted again, which will happen some time this week or next week by the company, and then we can put the furniture and the stuff back. I am looking forward to that. Progress.

Netflix here has an English series on getting rid of your mortgage. I watched the first episode this morning, and it was fun. People finding creative solutions to not having to get a mortgage at all, or to pay it off quickly. And some gorgeous alternative living arrangements like a boat or a tiny house or a converted church. I wouldn't want to live myself in each and every one of the options presented, but I can recognize that some options can be ideal for others even when they aren't for me.

I've paid down my own mortgage this year from 150k to 145k. Hurray! :lol: But as said before, my situation is special in that I'm borrowing from my parents. They get a good interest rate from me, much better than from the bank, and I still get tax deductions for having a mortgage. So as far as I'm concerned, I'm keeping this mortgage for as long as I can (it'll be 19 more years according to our plan), and my parents will enjoy a steady stream of "income" over the next 19 years as I pay interest & principal, and I will enjoy a steady stream of tax benefits over that same time period. (And if the tax system is going to change radically in that time period, I also have options to for example pay the mortgage off).

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Thu Nov 08, 2018 3:05 am

The ceiling's back in place and the furniture too. Only issue is that I still need to unpack some boxes with documents, but they can wait a bit.

October went okay. Income 3100 euros, expenses 2640 euros.
Total income after taxes for 2018 so far 35,900 euros. Total expenses so far 26,560 euros, so a savings rate for the year of 26%. (This is pretty baaaad... damn).

Oh, PS, a bit of a saving grace might be that I also paid down my mortgage by roughly 5k - and that 5k is included in my expenses which it perhaps shouldn't be. Then we get to expenses of "only" 21,560 so far, and a savings rate of 40%. Hmm, that's a bit better...

Net worth went down by a few thousand euros due to the stock market correction. I was inching closer to 150k euros, but that'll be postponed a bit, perhaps.

marcdemar

Post by marcdemar » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:13 am

That's a long running journal you have there @DutchGirl! I still have 26 pages to go before reaching your level ;)

I'm new to the forum, late starter as far as FIRE is concerned, but committed and dedicated nonetheless. And..oh yes... Dutch as well. But left the country during the previous century.

m741

Post by m741 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:31 pm

If you're paying down $5k of principal on the mortgage, that doesn't seem like an expense.

herp

Post by herp » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:36 pm

I agree, I would equate it to investing, since you're essentially taking a guaranteed return.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:00 am

I'll do that, then. So that's closer to a 40% saving rate and that's of course a bit better than what I was afraid of.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:30 am

November's savings rate was ... pretty much negative. Sigh. But we did get a new garden for that, so there's that.

I think at the end of December I'm going to show costs for the complete year, and calculate a savings rate (after tax deductions and including paying down the mortgage debt etc etc). It's going to be a year with high expenses, I know that already. Some related to moving into this house and paying for things like the garden and furniture and stuff like that. Hopefully those bills will be much lower to absent next year. We are done with the major upgrades, of course it's impossible to predict when the first repair arrives. But there also definitely has been some lifestyle inflation since moving into this new place, and I'll need to work on that.

I've just had a week off, and this time it was good to have that. I was battling a cold and it wasn't going away, so a few days of rest helped. Plus I got to clean up the study room and shred some paperwork from 2012 and before. So I feel like everything's tidy again. Onwards to the next three months or so of creating a new mess :D .

Unfortunately I won't have a week off from Christmas to New Year, so my next holiday is coming up in March. Still not too bad, of course!

From January onwards my company offers to pay the holiday money and the end-of-year bonus (a fixed percentage of your salary) every month. So instead of getting a bigger paycheck in May and December I can choose to have 1/12th of these amounts paid to me every month. You may guess once who will be the first one to fill in the form so that you get your money sooner... Looking forward to that!