DutchGirl's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
herp

Re: DutchGirl's journal

Post by herp » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Congrats on moving into the new house!

Too bad that the deal fell through, but hopefully you will have a new buyer very soon.

Here's to a prosperous 2018 with a high savings rate :geek:

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:51 pm

New buyer of the old house has ... arrived. And will be actually buying with currently 99%-like certainty. That last 1 percent is the bank loan falling through or the buyer, I don't know, dying or falling terribly ill before they actually fork over the cash.
So, let's focus on the 99% chance and say that it's looking pretty good.

These last few months, I've spent all of my income on average, due to the move. Net worth is standing still, more or less. I am itching to see some progress again, but this should start happening with the next paycheck coming in, as all the bills have arrived and have been paid, even the city taxes have now already been paid for the year 2018.

I've also bought an electric bike by the way, which, come to think of it now, I'll use for the first time tomorrow instead of the train. The bike cost 800 euros after tax benefits, an average train trip I'm hoping to replace by biking costs 3-4 euros for the return ticket. So I'll break even after 200-250 workdays... Plus the bike does have the added benefit of leaving whenever I want it to leave. (But the disadvantage that it isn't guaranteed to be warm nor dry, but oh well, we've got clothes for that).
I'm hoping that it was a good decision. We'll see.

The stress from moving is slowly disappearing. But now at work people are ill with the flu all the time, and I'm taking on some of their shifts (which earns me more money, but costs time ) . Plus my in-laws are suffering from health problems. They're now age 78 and 80, so it's not a big surprise. But that's another cause of sorrow and stress.

Income January: 3400, expenses 2590 (ouch).

figmenter

Post by figmenter » Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:52 am

I'm interest to hear the specifics on the tax benefits wrt electric bike. GF is looking for options to tackle a longer commute. Any insights you can offer we greatly appreciate.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl » Thu Feb 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Figmenter, this is a typically Dutch thing. One's workplace can offer a "bikeplan" as extra benefit, and then it's allowed to be a tax-free benefit. So as an employee, you can choose a bike to your liking, and your boss can give it to you (pay the bike for you) instead of pre-tax salary.