C40's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
rube

Re: C40's Journal

Post by rube »

Sound good C40! It sounds so good I am a bit jealous (except for the vasectomy part :? :lol: ).

Have fun and please let us know how you're doing once in SEA!

Ego

Post by Ego »

24 hour flight through China?

Make sure to prepare with an onward ticket. The airline probably won't check the validity of the onward ticket but chances are higher when you go to immigration to extend the visa. They've been known to do so in the past, but as slowtraveler can attest, things are constantly changing in Thailand.

C40

Post by C40 »

Yes, through Xiemen.

I don't entirely understand the second part of your message. Are you saying that I should have a ticket for a flight out of Thailand to show when I first arrive to get my V.O.A? Or for when I extend my visa?

And - are you saying I could/should, uhhh, forge one?

I was thinking about getting one ahead of time, but:
- I'm not sure whether I'll be able to stay the 60 days instead of 30, so when would I buy it for?
- Also I'm not totally sure where I want to go after Thailand.

I haven't really looked into which airlines allow easy flight changes (like Southwest in the US does, for example)

theanimal

Post by theanimal »

I believe he is referring to this (3rd paragraph): viewtopic.php?t=7586&start=480#p194278

Also, SlowTraveler recommended using best onward ticket in my journal.

RealPerson

Post by RealPerson »

We have not returned to Thailand for a while but never had any entry or visa trouble. Recently, when boarding a flight from Mexico to Panama, the airline (Copa) refused to let us board until we showed that we had an outbound airline ticket. No outbound no boarding, no exceptions! First time we were ever asked that! Luckily we had one.

This was on a trip with my wife. When I travel with our (adult) son overseas, we receive noticeably more scrutiny. I imagine a single man traveling to Thailand alone might be scrutinized also.

Enjoy your trip. You will love Thailand. Gorgeous country, friendly people, fantastic food, cheap and stunningly beautiful women.

Ego

Post by Ego »

Yeah, we've had some issues recently with one-way tickets and have heard of recent problems with Thailand. When we were checking in from Medellin to Lima they would not let us on the plane without an onward ticket out of Peru, which we didn't have. I bought a bus ticket on the spot and canceled it when we landed. Same for Jordan, so I bought the cheapest Ryanair flight which was to Bucharest.... we ended up using the tickets and loving Romania. Years ago we had the same problem boarding a flight to South Africa as well. They wouldn't accept the customs paperwork and bill of lading for the van we were shipping to South Africa as proof of onward journey. We were forced to buy unrestricted tickets which the airline refunded when we arrived. It was a pain in the ass and we could have missed our flight if we didn't have a lot of time at the airport to straighten it out.

It is the check-in airline agent who is stopping people from boarding as the airline is responsible for returning your to your original destination if you are refused entry to the country. In my experience immigration almost never ask for proof of a ticket out, except when you are extending your visa.

People have been known to print fake airline confirmations but it is easy to check the validity by going to the airline website and entering the name and confirmation code which are printed on the tickets. That said, I've never heard of an airline check-in agent doing this but I have heard of people being declined a visa extension for providing a fake ticket as proof of an onward journey.

bigato

Post by bigato »

I'm excited for you C40! Sounds like you have an interesting journey ahead.

Ego

Post by Ego »

When searching flights OUT of Bangkok be sure to search both BKK and DMK as many of the budget airlines fly out of the old Don Mueang airport which is closer to the city.

Also, there are cheap international flights out of Chiang Mai, Krabi, Ko Samui, Phuket... So when searching (Google flights) type Thailand into the outbound airport field the click all. This can save you a long return train/flight to BKK to catch a flight.

For instance, $48, Chiang Mai nonstop to Hanoi on Dec 6 with Thai AirAsia or $38, Krabi to Kuala Lumpur.

Stahlmann

Post by Stahlmann »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

were you involved in pushing corpaorate drones to be more "productive" or helping techies not getting screwed up like in above video?

if the second one, please share your ideas/resources,

wolf

Post by wolf »

Make sure you don't miss Laos. It's a beautiful country with friendly people! Wish you the best in SEA. Take care of yourself and send us some impressing pictures from time to time.

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

Seconding Wolf’s comment. Laos, especially the South, is where it is at. And Myanmar.

C40

Post by C40 »

I bought an outbound ticket to Da Nang, Vietnam. So that's where I'll hang out after Bangkok.

One thing I maybe gambled on is the date. I bought it for when I expect to leave Thailand - two months after arrival. I'm expecting to arrive and get a 30-day VOA, and then extend it at the Immigration office for another 30 days. I suppose I should have researched already (and may look soon) whether the airline is going to want the outbound travel date to be before a normal 30-day VOA ends.

Cal Bronson

Post by Cal Bronson »

By my calculations C40 should be settling in Bangkok right now. Hey C40, I hope it's going well. I'm definitely anxious to hear your updates; from Thailand as well as Vietnam, and wherever you go after that. I loved Saigon and I've heard great things about Danang as well as Hoi An (I'm also intrigued with Dalat). Happy trails.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Highly recommend splurging on a Muay Thai fight in Bangkok.

bigato

Post by bigato »

I hope you mean watching one hahaha

C40

Post by C40 »

Yep, I've been in Bangkok about ten days. I hadn't thought about really going to see Muay Thai fights. I may do that.

So far I've been:
- Exploring different parts of the city.
- Taking a lot of pictures. Mostly in Chinatown where there are a lot of lights that make shooting fun
- Doing a fair amount of dating
- Eating a lot of 'street food'

And I've got my first case of food poisoning. I think I got it from having some freshly made juice (of celery, carrot, and ginger) - sure seemed like a healthy idea in the moment. It's a relatively minor one in terms of feeling physically sick, but keeps from wanting to, say, go out on a date, or go somewhere for 3 hours where I don't know if there are public bathrooms to be found.

It's definitely interesting here so far. Some things are very different - including both things about the city, and about the people/culture.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Where are you staying so far? Are you in a hotel or did you find a month-to-month apartment situation? Does the pricing differ either way?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

C40 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:43 pm
...or go somewhere for 3 hours where I don't know if there are public bathrooms to be found.
So really no worse than Europe in general.

C40

Post by C40 »

Salathor wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:19 pm
Where are you staying so far? Are you in a hotel or did you find a month-to-month apartment situation? Does the pricing differ either way?
So far I've rented places through AirBNB. In Bangkok, the same place for 2 months. I've also booked a place through AirBNB for the first 2 months (of maybe 3 total) in Vietnam.

Where I'm staying is more like an apartment building. The rooms are small and simple though - no kitchen, only a small refrigerator.

AirBNB seems to have rates as good or lower than other online platforms, and works better than them (Agoda is one that people say is the cheapest, but I haven't found that, and their app/website is not so good). Most places on AirBNB have their discounts for longer stays visible clearly, so it's easy.

The advertised rates can be something like:
Nightly: $1000 baht ($33)
Monthly: $10,000 baht ($330)

So there can be a pretty big discount (at some places) when booking for longer periods.

AirBNB is simpler than a 'normal' apartment in some ways (you don't pay any security deposit), and maybe more complex in others (I've read that AirBNB renting is not legal in Thailand, and can possible cause an issue when doing things like extending your visa if the agent you're speaking with discovers you're staying in an AirBNB)

I believe the cheapest route for housing is through 'walking around', or by asking locals that you're friendly with. An AirBNB price still has some "tourist pricing" built in. Walking around and talking to people can get you a cheaper place that isn't 'tourist priced' and where the owners don't advertise much. That is, book a place for just a short period or on an ongoing nightly basis, and then walk around to find somewhere. On the street I'm staying (the 'city center' length of it is maybe 700 meters), I've seen a handful of signs at places along the road advertising a room(s) for rent. There's also a hotel down the road that looks like it's probably decent and has a monthly rate advertised (10,000 baht or about $333 USD). I think the 'walking around' method (or, similarly, asking Thai people that you are friendly with can result in prices 30-40% lower - so, maybe as low as $200/month in Bangkok for a room with AC. But that method wouldn't be a sure thing, and there's more cost while in the initial daily hotel until finding and renting it.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

How is Thailand going? Are you seeing any of the Visa action that Mr. Free @33 (Dividend Mantra) has been reporting lately? He said he had to leave after being there for the last two years.