C40's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Stahlmann

Re: C40's Journal

Post by Stahlmann »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg

were you involved in pushing corpaorate drones to be more "productive" or helping techies not getting screwed up like in above video?

if the second one, please share your ideas/resources,

wolf

Post by wolf »

Make sure you don't miss Laos. It's a beautiful country with friendly people! Wish you the best in SEA. Take care of yourself and send us some impressing pictures from time to time.

singvestor

Post by singvestor »

Seconding Wolf’s comment. Laos, especially the South, is where it is at. And Myanmar.

C40

Post by C40 »

I bought an outbound ticket to Da Nang, Vietnam. So that's where I'll hang out after Bangkok.

One thing I maybe gambled on is the date. I bought it for when I expect to leave Thailand - two months after arrival. I'm expecting to arrive and get a 30-day VOA, and then extend it at the Immigration office for another 30 days. I suppose I should have researched already (and may look soon) whether the airline is going to want the outbound travel date to be before a normal 30-day VOA ends.

Cal Bronson

Post by Cal Bronson »

By my calculations C40 should be settling in Bangkok right now. Hey C40, I hope it's going well. I'm definitely anxious to hear your updates; from Thailand as well as Vietnam, and wherever you go after that. I loved Saigon and I've heard great things about Danang as well as Hoi An (I'm also intrigued with Dalat). Happy trails.

Viktor K

Post by Viktor K »

Highly recommend splurging on a Muay Thai fight in Bangkok.

C40

Post by C40 »

Yep, I've been in Bangkok about ten days. I hadn't thought about really going to see Muay Thai fights. I may do that.

So far I've been:
- Exploring different parts of the city.
- Taking a lot of pictures. Mostly in Chinatown where there are a lot of lights that make shooting fun
- Doing a fair amount of dating
- Eating a lot of 'street food'

And I've got my first case of food poisoning. I think I got it from having some freshly made juice (of celery, carrot, and ginger) - sure seemed like a healthy idea in the moment. It's a relatively minor one in terms of feeling physically sick, but keeps from wanting to, say, go out on a date, or go somewhere for 3 hours where I don't know if there are public bathrooms to be found.

It's definitely interesting here so far. Some things are very different - including both things about the city, and about the people/culture.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

Where are you staying so far? Are you in a hotel or did you find a month-to-month apartment situation? Does the pricing differ either way?

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

C40 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:43 pm
...or go somewhere for 3 hours where I don't know if there are public bathrooms to be found.
So really no worse than Europe in general.

C40

Post by C40 »

Salathor wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:19 pm
Where are you staying so far? Are you in a hotel or did you find a month-to-month apartment situation? Does the pricing differ either way?
So far I've rented places through AirBNB. In Bangkok, the same place for 2 months. I've also booked a place through AirBNB for the first 2 months (of maybe 3 total) in Vietnam.

Where I'm staying is more like an apartment building. The rooms are small and simple though - no kitchen, only a small refrigerator.

AirBNB seems to have rates as good or lower than other online platforms, and works better than them (Agoda is one that people say is the cheapest, but I haven't found that, and their app/website is not so good). Most places on AirBNB have their discounts for longer stays visible clearly, so it's easy.

The advertised rates can be something like:
Nightly: $1000 baht ($33)
Monthly: $10,000 baht ($330)

So there can be a pretty big discount (at some places) when booking for longer periods.

AirBNB is simpler than a 'normal' apartment in some ways (you don't pay any security deposit), and maybe more complex in others (I've read that AirBNB renting is not legal in Thailand, and can possible cause an issue when doing things like extending your visa if the agent you're speaking with discovers you're staying in an AirBNB)

I believe the cheapest route for housing is through 'walking around', or by asking locals that you're friendly with. An AirBNB price still has some "tourist pricing" built in. Walking around and talking to people can get you a cheaper place that isn't 'tourist priced' and where the owners don't advertise much. That is, book a place for just a short period or on an ongoing nightly basis, and then walk around to find somewhere. On the street I'm staying (the 'city center' length of it is maybe 700 meters), I've seen a handful of signs at places along the road advertising a room(s) for rent. There's also a hotel down the road that looks like it's probably decent and has a monthly rate advertised (10,000 baht or about $333 USD). I think the 'walking around' method (or, similarly, asking Thai people that you are friendly with can result in prices 30-40% lower - so, maybe as low as $200/month in Bangkok for a room with AC. But that method wouldn't be a sure thing, and there's more cost while in the initial daily hotel until finding and renting it.

Salathor

Post by Salathor »

How is Thailand going? Are you seeing any of the Visa action that Mr. Free @33 (Dividend Mantra) has been reporting lately? He said he had to leave after being there for the last two years.

Wads

Post by Wads »

Yes, Im also curious.

How has your time been? Is it what you expected? Likes/dislikes? Are you dating locals? Climate and air quality? Is this a place you could see yourself living long term if visas weren't an issue?

Sorry for so many questions. I have plans on visiting in a few years as Thailand is one of my potential locations for FIRE.

C40

Post by C40 »

—————————

2019 SUMMARY

—————————

okie dokie, here’s a little financial summary of 2019, mostly through charts because I don’t feel like typing a lot..

In short:
  • Spending was moderately low. I lost money on my motorcycle. I was in a bit of a hurry to sell it and did not get a good price. I thought about keeping it, but didn’t want to deal with it, and preferred instead to ‘burn the ships’ as I left for Asia.
  • Lived in Tucson at the start of the year. I liked it there but decided to go back up to Portland in April to live with my friends more. That was pretty nice, but had some fairly small issues that come with having roommates. I spent some time in Colorado and Arizona with family while preparing to leave for Asia, which I did in November.
  • Investments were really poppin’ off this year. My net worth is up a lot. It’s nearly all unrealized capital gains. I’m starting to think that now is a good time to sell some of my post-tax stocks to set aside money for buying a home when I return to the U.S. I’ll make a separate post about this.
  • Things are going well in Asia. I was in Bangkok for two months and now I’m in Da Nang (Vietnam) for three. I’ll make a separate post about this.

———————-

Ok, I’ve split the charts into groups.

1 - Spending
    2 - Income
    3 - Spend vs Income
    4 - Summary - Spend-Save-NW
    5 - Net Worth
    6 - Investing Analysis

If you are highly interested in different options of visualizing you spending/income/net worth, you may also want to look back through previous yearly summaries to see more chart types.

————————————

1- SPENDING

————————————

(some of these chart categories don’t match up exactly with the first chart because of how I categorized things like the motorcycle sale money, travel prep/costs, etc.)

————————————

2 - INCOME

————————————

Huge stock price gains over the last three years.

The areas with the green dots are mostly unrealized capital gains that resulted in net worth growth. As you see, in 2019 my net worth bumped up by enough to buy a house.

Dividend income has been growing as expected.

This chart includes all income types, not just dividends:
    The large increases in 2016 is because I retired then and changed my retirement account investments to dividend-focused stocks.

————————————

3 - SPEND VS INCOME

————————————

My cash flow in 2019 was actually positive. (just relating to spending money and bringing in money from selling things).

I spent like 17k, but I sold my van (12k) and two motorcycles (6k). I back-dated most of that sales money to the months I bought and spent on those vehicles. So, in my data and charts, the sale money from the van and first motorcycle went to decreasing spending of previous years, and doesn’t show up in these charts in 2019

The above two chart shows theoretical SWR income, not actual. That’s more useful pre-retirement. I should update this to show my actual forward income.

This one shows actual income

—————————————————

SUMMARY - Spend/Save/NW

—————————————————

(the income shown above is only actual realized income like dividends, pension increase, and hobby income. Realized capital gains are not shown here, even when they did happen. Thus far I’ve tried to zero them out but messed up one year when a merger triggered gains in December that I didn’t notice

This chart below shows all the changes that effect my net worth. (except that it doesn’t show unrealized capital losses)

————————————

5 - NET WORTH

————————————

When I quit work in 2016 my net worth was about $540k. It has grown to $670k. I’ll make another post soon as I’m considering converting like $50-$100k of the post-tax money into cash for “house money”.

Net worth, longer time frame

Net worth in years of spending

————————————

6 - INVESTING ANALYSIS

————————————

Here is my investing performance vs. indexes of 60% VTI and 40% TLT.

Before 2016, most of my money was in the 401k. After that, it was under my own full management. My investing strategy results in a higher dividend yield than average indexes, and, it appears less volatility both up and down. I’m ok with that. I was feeling pretty bad about my investing performance in those years up through 2014, so it’s more reassuring to see now that I’m not totally screwing things up.

Asset allocation, very simple:

Asset allocation, a bit more detail:

I expect to make a more detailed version of this, showing what account types the money is in, because that is important for me now as I think about pulling out house money and am setting up an IRA conversion/withdraw ladder. These take a lot of work to update for me because I don’t have my data set up in a way that I can pull these numbers straight from it. I’m doing it manually.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

Great net worth increase, glad Asia's going well for you!

Curious, wrt the motorcycle or similar large items that may depreciate, when the ownership time frame isn't necessarily known. How do you account for it? Spending in the month of purchase, then negative spending when it is sold? Seems wrong to count the spend then add in income at sale. Do you make any kind of corresponding changes to net worth? Asking because I'm trying to figure out a unified accounting method for these types of things that will hold up when I'm trying to accurately get a fix on my post retirement spending changes longer term.

C40

Post by C40 »

@WADS and @Salathor - I’ll cover those general questions in an upcoming post.

Salathor wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 12:41 pm
Are you seeing any of the Visa action that Mr. Free @33 (Dividend Mantra) has been reporting lately? He said he had to leave after being there for the last two years.
I’m not the best place to look for Visa info. So far I'm just doing visas in easy ways and bouncing around between countries rather than trying to stay indefinitely in one.

But, yes, Thailand seems to be over people trying to stay permanently on tourist visa extensions.

There are a lot of people from other countries working in Thailand. You have two groups:

- People from developed nations
- People from nearby countries who are in Thailand for better income or just to have a job - a lot of people from Laos, Cambodia, and Mayanmar. Probably some from India and maybe China also.

And two categories of work:
- Working ‘normal’ professional jobs - where they get a work visa - usually managed by the employer
- Doing remote work. They just get a tourist visa and do it illegally. I’m not entirely sure how illegal it is if the source of the income is all outside of Thailand.

How the tourist visa thing works is:
- Get a 60 day visa at the Thai Embassy in another country
- Come to thailand. Extend 30 days so you have a 3 month stay
- At 90 days, go cross a border (often in to Myanmar, Laos, or Cambodia) and come back immediately. You get a 30 day extension.
- Keep doing the above until the immigration official refuses you. Eventually they will when they see that you’ve been doing this a bunch of times.
- Go to another country for a month or two
(Start this process over again)

I have only very basic familiarity with the visa laws in these:
- Thailand (described above)
- Vietnam (Pretty easy. I got a year long Multi entry visa for $220USD. They say I can stay three months at a time and leave and enter an unlimited number of times. Could maybe stay basically a year straight with three short border runs (???) )
- Malaysia (can get a three month visa on arrival just by showing up)
- Philippines (can stay for three months without even getting a visa)
- Indonesia (seems similar to Thailand)

Other countries like Mayanmar, Laos, and Cambodia are likely (much) easier than the above. So far, I’m not interested in going to those as, from what I hear and read, they seem kind of crappy in comparison, have more communicable diseases, and in some cases aren’t even less expensive (specially for things like food in Cambodia because it’s imported)

C40

Post by C40 »

@Classical_Liberal - there was another thread within the last 2-3 months about this exact subject. I can't recall the name.

When I sell something that I previously bought, I consider the sales money as "un-spending", or negative spending.

If I bought something for the purpose of selling and making money, I would account for it all in my INCOME categories. Like this:
- Negative income when buying the item
- Negative income for money put into the item or into advertising
- Positive income for money that comes in when I sell it

Thus far I don't really have any of this, but I do have some services related to photography business (website, photo editing software) that I count as negative income rather than spending.

Here is what I do for large things like vehicles, as an example:
- Purchase - May 2018. $5,000. Show all of it as spending that month
- Maintenance, registration, insurance - show all as it occurs
- Sale - happens in March 2019, $4,500. I show it as negative spending in May 2018

The end result is that I lost or 'spent' $500 on it.

This results in my Net worth changes not matching up exactly with my spending numbers, but I don't care. I don't need it to match up 100% perfectly. I'd rather have my spending data easy to analyze.

When I bought and sold my house, I think what I did was not even show the down payment or the income from sale as spending or income in my data. The money just got converted in my net worth categories from cash to real estate, and then back to cash with a sudden bump when I sold it and made some money.

For less expensive things - where the sales (and counting the money as negative spending in the month I sold it) won't cause my total income to go negative, I just enter the data as it actually happens.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Great update!! and congrats on your NW increase. Quite impressive what you have achieved over the years.

Keep it up and good luck with the house finding when you go back to the US. Also, any place in particular you would be interested in moving to? (perhaps you already mentioned it in a previous post though)

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

If you are able to connect accounts to personal capital, they will automatically do the asset allocation breakdown for you. You can filter the chart on subsets of accounts, drill into categories, etc. It's pretty cool once setup.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

@C40
Thanks for the explanation! That conversation was in 2B1S's journal, I commented that I do things the same way you do.

However, I think I'm going to change going forward. Although it doesn't really matter over the long term, "lumpiness" in spending really makes a difference in shorter time frames, like 12 mo rolling. I'm a firm believer we become what we measure, and I think my decisions might be affected by the way I measure these things. So, it's more important than mere accounting.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos »

Hi there,

Just wondering which were your thoughts about purchasing a house nowadays? Would you invest the money instead? or perhaps take on a good opportunity during the potential upcoming recession?