C40's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
James_0011

Re: C40's Journal

Post by James_0011 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:52 pm

@tophatfox

There is also the risk of unexpected expenses popping up with a kid. My friend who is mentally ill is currently in a private treatment facility - I know for sure he’s not paying for it, and I’m assuming it’s costing his parents tens if not hundreds of thousands of dollars...

Not to mention the cost of college, etc...

TopHatFox

Post by TopHatFox » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Hahahahaha, random projection - you know you live in Westchester when. Folks on the street and buses here look graver than death, especialy the parents... I don't really know how they make ends meet tbh...

James_0011

Post by James_0011 » Wed Dec 20, 2017 9:45 pm

I hated living in white plains. I dress in thrift store clothing and had a women come up to me at a bus stop and offer me $10 one time lol - I guess she thought I was a bum

C40

Post by C40 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 5:38 pm

James_0011 wrote:
Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:22 pm
@c40
Have you considered renting in a few cities to try them out?
Not really.

I've tried out a handful of cities by being in them for weeks or months in my van. For me, that's a much quicker way to get to know a city than living in an apartment, because I'm 'out and about' a ton, and specifically looking at parts of the city, the people, etc.

If this all works out with my sister, I'll go ahead and have my home base there. While it may not be perfect and may not be what I would have chosen, doing this would entirely remove the question and complexity of deciding where, thus making the process simpler for me, and giving me more time to focus on doing stuff. Having it on my sister's land would have the additional benefit of keeping it simple for me, and of me not having to worry about leaving it vacant if I want to go off on some adventure for a month or a year. I think these benefits would more than make up for it maybe not being in the exact place I would have chosen.

N.C. doesn't seem perfect for me because there are so many damn trees, and because of the humidity. And ticks? But these are small things (as long as I don't get limes disease). I was in Asheville long enough to know that it seems good enough. Really the important thing related to the city is the people -- are there enough of the right kind of people there for me to find 'my people'. I think Asheville will work well from that perspective.

C40

Post by C40 » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:34 pm

2017 YEAR SUMMARY

Here are the numbers. I will probably make another post with other information about what I’ve been up to the last couple months, now, and future plans.

This was my first full calendar year since retiring

In short:
  • Income: $21k
  • Spending: $12k
  • Saved: $9k

INCOME: $21,400
  • Dividends: $15,846
  • Pension growth: $1,636
  • Tax Refund: $2,983 (Essentially work income from last year)
  • Hobby income: $948
I think I also have a small amount of realized capital gains. I reinvested all these and am not really considering it spendable income. The tax on these will be small or none.

About half of the income was in post-tax accounts, and half in retirement accounts. 2018 will be my 2nd year of moving $10k from my Traditional IRA to Roth IRA, so in 3 or 4 years, I’ll have $10k per year available to pull out of the Roth if I want. So far, through low spending and the tax refund, I haven’t had to sell any stocks in my post tax account in order to fund spending.

I had quite a lot of unrealized capital gains in 2017, and my net worth jumped up by $60k for the year.

SPENDING: $12,219
  • Hobby/Entertainment: $4,952
  • Food: $3,453
  • Transportation (mostly Gas): $2,913
  • Home (Van): $627
  • Clothes/Other: $467
  • Household goods: $340
  • Hygiene/Health: $187
If I’d been pinching pennies, I could have quite easily spent $7,500 or less for the year and still traveled around a lot.

Details of Hobby/Entertainment spending:
  • Photography equipment: $1,542 (it was $3,506 purchases minus $1,964 from selling equipment)
  • Tattoo: $650
  • Tea, Coffee: $771 (majority is coffee gear)
  • Coffees shops: $300 (mainly for electricity, internet, change of scenery)
  • Dating: $417
  • Bicycling gear: $228
  • Travel: $168 (side trips to N.C. and Toronto)
  • Outdoors gear: $137
  • Internet: $87
  • New cel phone: $65
  • Whiskey: $54
  • Pens/writing: $35
  • Electronics: $28
  • Other/misc: $470

A BUNCH OF CHARTS:

Income details:

Living in the van caused a big drop in the ‘home’ expenses
(The cost of building the van, about $10k, is mostly included in the 2015 number)

Comparison of spending and income for this year, including a running surplus:
(This chart does not include the $3k tax refund, which bumps the surplus up to $9k)

YAYYY $600k!

A longer timeline of net worth

The ol’ SWR needed chart

sky

Post by sky » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:40 pm

How would you compare quality of life, pre- and post retirement?

Pre- and post van dwelling?

C40

Post by C40 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:12 pm

@sky - I will come back to that later. I've just moved in with friends to take a break from traveling, and this will give me more perspective on the question.

C40

Post by C40 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:18 pm

-------------------
JANUARY 2018
-------------------

It’s been another good month at C40 industries.

I drove all the way from the tip of Baja Mexico to Portland, OR. 2,100 miles. That attributes for most of the gas cost below.

I was feeling ready to take a break from traveling in the van. The possibility of helping my sister build an earthbag home, plus a small one for myself on her property, had be all excited for a while. But her and her partner are not so sure they want to settle where they’ve just moved to, so that house building probably won’t be happening soon. So, instead of going to do that, I came up to move in with my friends in Portland for a little while. Not exactly sure what I’ll be doing next. I’m thinking of moving on from the van travels to something else, or just something to take a significant pause from it. More to come on this later.

CHARTS

PICTURES

Here are a few pictures from Mexico. I haven’t gotten around to sorting and editing them all, much less making a blog post about it. But here’s a few of them:

sky

Post by sky » Fri Feb 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Very nice, thank you for posting those pics. Excellent camping spots.

bryan

Post by bryan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 5:18 pm

Would love to read a retrospective of your vanlife. Very timely for me as I plan to be in the van again by July.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible » Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm

C40, your journal is an inspiration and practical goldmine for information on the van life.

As Brute and akratic have detailed, the travelling gets old and you start to crave something meaningful. I understand the resistance to the standard middle class life of course, but I think it’s possible to deal with society on your own terms.

I hope you never went thru with that vasectomy. You can meet a fellow ERE-er or someone who can easily adapt to the ERE life. You can homeschool children. I would imagine someone raised with ERE ideals instead of having to come to it on their own would be a formidable Renaissance human. I myself have resisted the breeding impulse for financial reasons but I recognize a day will come when I want someone to inherit my empire.

Imagine putting the same care into crafting a small impressionable human as you did into outfitting your van. I imagine the feeling would be sublime.

Keep trucking!

C40

Post by C40 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:46 pm

:) Hi Mister Imperceptible.

Yeah, I'm definitely sorting through the "what lifestyle do I want to design now" question, relating to travel speed, having roots, relationships, etc.

You can sleep easy; I haven't gotten that vasectomy yet. Mainly due to a combination of laziness related to going to a doctor/surgeon, and it just not feeling urgent.. My reasons for not wanting children are not really related to me not wanting to spend money on them. It's just that I don't feel any desire to raise a child. I'm not 100% sure why I feel that way, but I am 100% sure that I feel that way. I'm at ~middle age now and am maybe about as mature as I'm going to get, so the chances of my feelings changing are getting slimmer and slimmer. Getting really bored with life might be the only thing that would change my mind, (doing/trying a bunch of different things, thinking "there's got to be more to life than this" and trying out progenation to add some spice to my life. Doesn't seem like a very good reason, but it's probably a better reason than most people for having kids. Probably won't happen though.

BRUTE

Post by BRUTE » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:42 am

Mister Imperceptible wrote:
Sat Feb 03, 2018 2:02 pm
As Brute and akratic have detailed, the travelling gets old and you start to crave something meaningful else.
there is no meaningful, only distractions.

Frugalchicos

Post by Frugalchicos » Mon Feb 12, 2018 10:18 pm

Amazing pics and congrats about the 600K. Your growth and progress are always very inspirational!