Not made for consuming ~ Bos journal

Where are you and where are you going?
bos

Not made for consuming ~ Bos journal

Post by bos »

I would like to start writing more to get the thoughts in my head out on the paper. People around me do not share the FIRE interest, which is fine. But I think it is important to share my thoughts and ideas to be able to reflect better on what the heck I am actually doing. Sometimes you think you have an amazing idea or theory in your head, until you tell it to your friends. They give you this weird look and you even surprise yourself a little how you come up with this garbage idea in the first-place. I hope for that kind of reflection from the forum.

It started about 2 years ago. As a student I had a lot of time on my hands. I maintained my little motorcycle and rode it around, grew some notorious Dutch stink plants with friends, and went to the beach a lot. Then I graduated and got my first job. In the film industry, more specifically in visual effects.

My life changed pretty quickly for the worse. 50 hours a week, stress and no time for my hobbies. That same year, my father lost his job. He was working in a dying industry. Something that is also close to my heart in the visual effects industry. This combination made me realize that I didn't want to work until retirement, and prompted me to look for resources on the subject. This is where I came across ERE.

The first step I took was to switch from the film industry to data science. It was a good decision, both in terms of stress and pay, and will help me on my way to FIRE.
I have been buying everything second hand for about 6 years now. This has been a lot of fun. I have met many interesting people this way. The last item was my Coleman stove that came from a soldier who was sent to Afghanistan. That was a great conversation with the guy.

Maybe some details here to spice it up:
- Male
- Living in Germany
- 24 years old
- 50k savings (2 years of saving)
- income around 70k Bruto a year. savings rate of 85%

I live in a shared flat with some cool people. Most of them are immigrants which share my ideal way of life much more than your regular western european. They like to cook instead of ordering food, share meals with each other, play frisbee or swim in a lake instead of expensive weekend activities.

Last year I made a motorcycle trip through Europe on a small 125cc. A lot of wild camping, couchsurfing and enjoying the simple life with good people. I realised that my daily cost was around 20 euro. When I will make that amount passive daily, I can ride my motorcycle forever around the world. It is not a goal, but I really like the idea of it and think about it often.

My mental challenge is now to not feel bad about just "slaving my life away" at my current job. 50+ hours a week behind a computer can actually be fun. But I notice it is taking a toll on my health and mostly my personality. Mountain Biking, reading, painting, surfing and whatever else I did as a student. I don't do that currently. I blame corona, but deep down I know that if corona is over, I will probably still not find the time and motivation for it.

I hope the journal will help myself to stay motivated, learn stuff from others and it may even help someone else.

Bos
Last edited by bos on Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

J_

Re: Not made for consuming ~ Bos journal

Post by J_ »

bos wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:03 pm
But I notice it is taking a toll on my health and mostly my personality. Mountain Biking, reading, painting, surfing and whatever else I did as a student. I don't do that currently.

Bos
Welcome to the forum, and what a good start you have.

Ere is more than Fire. It is breaking free in much more than financial ties. It is not a race to a goal.
Therefore the toll you mention is not neccessary. Look for a better combination where there is not a toll on the only two things which are more important than anything else: you physical and mental health.

Sclass

Post by Sclass »

I love little motorcycles. We should do a thread on buying them and fixing them up. They can be a big money saver. Cheap purchase price, cheap fuel and cheap parking. I dug a lot of my tubes and tires from the trash at the local Honda shop when I was a kid. Other parts I bought from bike swap meets. Good stuff.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

+1000 on putting physical and mental health first. I do not know anything about motorcycles, but would be happy to swap paintings if you decide to pick that up again.

Laura Ingalls

Post by Laura Ingalls »

Not much to contribute other than welcome and I like your journal’s name

Oh and that goals and desires change overtime and that’s ok. Asking the right questions is important you seem to be doing that.

bos

Post by bos »

Sclass wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 4:37 pm
I love little motorcycles. We should do a thread on buying them and fixing them up. They can be a big money saver. Cheap purchase price, cheap fuel and cheap parking.
They are super but sadly not so populair here in the west. If it is not more than 1000cc its not a motorcycle is what the germans say :lol:
I have bought motorcycles mostly in winter and sold them over the summer. Does not make you rich, but it made me ride all my college years for 'free'.

bos

Post by bos »

J_ wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 3:30 pm
Welcome to the forum, and what a good start you have.
Look for a better combination where there is not a toll on the only two things which are more important than anything else: you physical and mental health.
Thank you, happy to be finally writing here instead of just lurking around.
I will try to find the balance. The best option is probably to work less, 3-4 days a week, but I would like to wait for that until I really am not enjoying it anymore.

bos

Post by bos »

I am thinking lately about moving out of Germany. This idea comes mostly from wanting to have a more outdoors focused life. With hiking, cycling and riding my motorcycle on curvy roads (which means mountains ;)).

The second would be salary. I found out that the starting salaries as an engineer are high, but are very quickly capped. For example, Currently I am less then a year with the company and make 60K. My manager/senior works here for 6 years and makes 80K. To be able to make changes in my income I cannot simply work harder or find a better job in the area. It barely raises over the years. I do not know a single person in europe IT who makes over 80K+. It happens, but those people are special. I am not special, I am just a solid engineer.

For now options are Australia, US or Switzerland. (interested in input of course)

Australia is exotic for a northern-european. Sun, beaches, waves etc. A huge disadvantage is that I will probably see my family. They do not have the time and resources for trips and tickets. I can of-course provide it, but bringing over 15+ family members a year does not make much sense.

US is big, plenty of outdoor possibilities and the highest engineer salaries in the world. Disadvantage is that it is the US. Its housing, infrastructure, policies are different from what I am used to. I have always cycled around the neighbourhood for everything I need. To my understanding such things are uncommon and I would need cars and commute time. But the US is massive and I have never been there. Maybe some of you guys have advice about it.

Last option is Switzerland and I currently think this will be the most doable/less radical. I speak decent German which makes it easier. It is around a 2 hours flight to be with my parents which is great. Salaries are not like the US, but still more than 2x then what I make now. Which also means a 2x earlier FIRE date ;)
Nature is also stunning there. Have you ever been there? Alpine culture is unique and very interesting.

Just some thoughts ... have a great Sunday

Bos

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Sounds like Switzerland is the best fit because it allows you to hit all your criteria: salary, nature, family, lifestyle. All other options seem to involve serious compromise in at least one of those areas. I'll let the Americans speak about America, but the areas with the high salary IT jobs are usually very HCOL - so that's something else to consider.

Another thing to consider would be, of course, remote work after you reach a certain experience level.

chenda

Post by chenda »

Switzerland would be my first choice for all the reasons you state. US may also be a good choice, there are areas you can live car free, like parts of New England where you're a shorter flight back home to family than say California.

Australia...cities are usually walkable or bikeable but very expensive and the country is very isolated as you say.

Jean

Post by Jean »

I don't think salaries in switzerland are twice higher than what you make now. But life is great hère.

bos

Post by bos »

ertyu wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:29 am
Another thing to consider would be, of course, remote work after you reach a certain experience level.
You are right, I think after this pandemic much more companies would be willing to give remote jobs. Most people live in the city purely for job opportunities. The civilised world could look different if all computer related jobs stay remote.

bos

Post by bos »

Jean wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 5:46 am
I don't think salaries in switzerland are twice higher than what you make now. But life is great hère.
Good to hear from a real Swiss! You are right about the bruto salary. It is mostly the taxes who make the difference. (see table below)
Thats 2x as much savings per year.
Would you count these expenses as realistic for a city dweller? Thanks in advance

Code: Select all

zurich	berlino
bruto	8500	5500
netto	6500	3000

Wohnung	1500	800
food	400	170
health	400	0
extras	600	300
	2900	1270

savings	3600	1730
yearly	43200	20760

Jean

Post by Jean »

That's quite reallistic, you could probably find a lower rent even in Zurich. If you Never eat out and go specko végétarien, you Can eat for about 200

bos

Post by bos »

I am trying to get my girlfriend on board with FI. Making small steps here and there. I can't push her too hard, since she comes from an upper class family where spending is the way to go in life. This difference in our backgrounds makes it sometimes difficult, but definitely not an excuse to give up. Everyone can learn as long as you show a better alternative. That's what I am hoping to do.

We needed to get a new matras. We checked out IKEA and tried a few mattresses. One we liked cost around 300 + 20 delivery. My habit is to always check stuff second hands before I buy a new item. Mostly to save money and to reduce waste. I found one. Exactly the same model for free to pick 15 minutes from where we live. It only had a massive coffee stain on it. My girlfriend was disgusted about the idea of buying it second hands. "You don't know what a person has done on it". I do understand her, since a mattress is a big step as your first second hand item. So I said that we get completely new sheets, vacuum it etc etc. To my surprise she said "oke".

The person from the mattress was super happy that we came to pick it up. We lifted it out of the apartment and were standing on the street with it. Then I found out that moving a mattress without a car is close to impossible. Even a 15 minute walk. So we booked an Uber. The driver looked pretty surprised when we were standing there with the massive mattress, but he seemed to be ok with it.

Sheets 20eu + Uber 11eu + 2 hours of moving and cleaning = 31 euro instead of 340.

After this day my girlfriend got hooked. Really hooked. She bought furniture, sold furniture, made some good deals here and there. I somehow find it kinda sexy if she offers sellers half the price of what they ask and she gets it ;)

That's it for the last few weeks. I am very happy with this step because it makes me see a future together as more realistic. Something I have been doubting in the past.

Have a good week and enjoy the weather

Bos

zbigi

Post by zbigi »

bos wrote:
Sun May 16, 2021 4:07 am
I do not know a single person in europe IT who makes over 80K+. It happens, but those people are special. I am not special, I am just a solid engineer.
Hi bos

In Europe, the real money in IT is in contracting. Good seniors in Germany (in the vibrant areas) can get 800 euros per day or more. Assuming
you're working 220 days per year at 800 euros per day, that's 176,000 euro per year. That's not really anything special, I know multiple people doing that. You just need very solid experience and skills in a sought-after stack.

bos

Post by bos »

zbigi wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 11:52 am
In Europe, the real money in IT is in contracting.
Thanks for the tip. It currently feels out of my league to freelance, but if I have some more years experience under the belt I will definitely take a closer look.

bos

Post by bos »

I want to rediscover my old hobbies. In art school I used to paint and draw for hours on end. I identified myself as an "artist" for some years and showed my work proudly on parties or dates. People were impressed. I stopped drawing and painting last year, because I just cannot find the energy for it. It is strange since I can computer program for 8 hours in a day without a problem, but an hour painting feels like an eternity. Maybe I just have to get into the painting flow again by creating a habit. I don't see myself as an engineer or a computer geek but still as that arty dude, even though those art school times are already years behind. Weird.

Mad fientist had a good podcast about how he imagined himself becoming the artist he always wanted to be when he was FIRE. That tech was just a side thing to pay the bills. When he got there at FIRE he did not become the artist he wanted to be and he became depressed about it. Since now there was no job to blame, but only himself not putting in the work. I think this is a feeling many people have on the fire pad. "If only I am done with working I will become the gardener, husband, artist, father, etc I always wanted to be". But when the moment is there it will be hard to make that start. Only yourself will be in the way.

Soon I am turning 25. Closer to the 30 than the 20. Would be happy to hear some advice you would give your younger 25 year old self. Maybe it can inspire me or others.

Bos

chenda

Post by chenda »

bos wrote:
Sat Jun 05, 2021 1:59 pm
I stopped drawing and painting last year, because I just cannot find the energy for it.
A method I've adopted is to commit to doing a tiny amount of something every day. I'm trying to write a story, and saying I'll write 5000 words this weekend never worked. So I just write a minimum of 20 words a day, very easy to achieve and it's guaranteed you'll get somewhere. So maybe you could do one sketch a day minimum or something ?

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

+1 on @chenda's advice. Building back up your art muscle is something that I had to build from scratch. Even sketching for 10 minutes a day can lead to longer inspired sessions. When you were in art school you were likely surrounded by people doing art all the time so it was likely easier to absorb that energy and enthusiasm. This is just like doing exercise again after taking a break. It is mentally hard if you were in shape before to put back on the running shoes only to find you are winded by the end of the block. The memory of how good or how inspired you were when doing something all the time comes back as the standard that you are setting for yourself. This is damaging and unrealistic because you are not in art school (or in shape in the example). So slowly building up a habit by doing something very small and manageable everyday (like @chenda on writing), you can build back up your art muscle. I also found that when I have sketchbooks and pencils/pens in all places of my house where I spend time there is little friction to starting to sketch, even just a box or table in my line of sight. This is also in the realm of identity based goals that James Clear writes about in Atomic Habits. What would a professional artist do? They would draw or paint daily. Hope that is helpful.