South America - ER

Where are you and where are you going?
Beaba

South America - ER

Post by Beaba »

Hello

I am single, mid 20 years old born and raised in South America I am doing a master's with the goal of going to a good Ph.D in the US . My life history is similar to other people from poor countries around the world, I was raised by a poor single mother that lived with less than $300 a month. Although I had a simple childhood I always had food, shelter and love. During my teen years, I did very well on the academic side which drastically changed my life, I moved from a poor rural area in the countryside to a large city to study with the richest people from the country.

From this point in my life, I consider that my journey for ERE started the feeling of being different from my rich school friends left a constant inner struggle between my high achiever academic persona and my rural persona. Fast forward 10-year later o today, my main struggle in life is still trying to fit in with my high achiever peers and being true to myself. As I do know that other forum members have the same problem I decided to start this journal.

My main goal with this journal is to empathize with others on the same path about my inner struggles, practice/improve my English and talk about the specifics of living in a third-world country.

Although my main goal is not to talk about my financial situation because I consider that ER is a natural consequence of my natural belief system I am going to give a small glance at this because I am at a financial forum after all. I have four years of a financial cushion, my income right now is almost zero although I receive a small stipend and my goal is to work in the US after my PhD to increase my savings but I will probably retire in a small town in Brazil.

Life missions:
1) Life life on my own terms
2) Retire at 40 with $300k nw.
3) Help the education of my country

PS: Feel free to criticize my English I need to write better because of my PhD plans.

Dream of Freedom

Re: South America - ER

Post by Dream of Freedom »

Welcome

What is your phd going to be in?

So what in the rural lifestyle is the best or that you admire most? What about it will you leave behind? What do the rich city people do that you admire or will copy? What are the bad parts of that lifestyle?
Beaba wrote:
Fri Mar 19, 2021 4:00 am
PS: Feel free to criticize my English I need to write better because of my PhD plans.
I wouldn't be able to tell that you weren't a native speaker if you hadn't told us.

The main thing I see is that you tend to use a comma when a period would be more appropriate.

Nicolino

Re: South America - ER

Post by Nicolino »

Bemvindo!! Which part of Brazil do you hail from? Which part would you like to retire to?

O seu ingles é bom cara!