7Wannabe5- Take 7- The Money Dimple

Where are you and where are you going?
Alphaville

Re: 7Wannabe5- Take 7- The Money Dimple

Post by Alphaville »

right, i said ptsd because current situation keeps bringing back memories and emotions of past trauma. assault is traumatic, of course. then one thing triggers flashback of trauma--this is common.

i didn't say you're a loon or a stereotype :D

anyway i can see how the weirdos can come from the semi-deserted industrial boundary onto your yard. it's that "emptiness" between, and the parking lots which are empty at night. you're the frontier outpost.

i'd seek rezoning to commercial hahaha--then sell or build for business. nursery?

eta: i see you have fence on... 2 sides? 3 sides? the west side is open?

eta2: i'd also fence + gate street side.

what's the view to the north? also exposed? or shielded?

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Alphaville:

To the north is view of neighbor’s privacy fence across narrow residential street.

I’m open to number of possibilities, including just making the property my project/business space where I can also hang out with my kids, sisters, other peeps without having to integrate any of them with my grouchy old men. I don’t necessarily have to sleep there by myself, but obviously would be valuable option to have.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

so if im visualizing this right you have fence on 2 sides (east and southeast) belonging to neighbors, and open property line on north, west, and southwest. yes?

easiest psychological barrier would be to add similar fence to open sides, plus a gate for vehicle access.

later you can supplement this fence with thorny bushes.

it's not wacko proof like a tall fence with barbed wire, but it keeps people from walking through unimpeded. it also keeps a possible dog within bounds, should you ever add one. eta: it also facilitates motion sensor deployment.

Stasher

Post by Stasher »

That is a huge yard, so much potential. To help with keeping it looking good and also have a few extra sets of eyes as security any thoughts on reaching out to a local gardening group or maybe an organic farmer that is doing the urban farm market growing?

Curtis Stone farms in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada on a total of 1/3 acres, most of which he does not own across multiple people's yards. He makes $100,000 year using other people land

https://youtu.be/tP5bOr0aC58

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Stasher wrote:
Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:23 am
That is a huge yard, so much potential. To help with keeping it looking good and also have a few extra sets of eyes as security any thoughts on reaching out to a local gardening group or maybe an organic farmer that is doing the urban farm market growing?

Curtis Stone farms in Kelowna, British Columbia, Canada on a total of 1/3 acres, most of which he does not own across multiple people's yards. He makes $100,000 year using other people land

https://youtu.be/tP5bOr0aC58
i can't watch that video, but that seems a brilliant idea. she could feed fresh greens to the local food scene, do farmers markets, etc.

which in turn would pay for upgrades to the property, like fences, residential quarters...classroom space... greenhouse... working interns? @7w5's school of legal weeds (salad).

i volunteer to run the food truck in the summer... for a price :D

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Alphaville wrote:so if im visualizing this right you have fence on 2 sides (east and southeast) belonging to neighbors, and open property line on north, west, and southwest. yes?
The strong curve in the road doesn't really get curving until south of my property line, plot is only slightly off of rectangular, so I would only need to add fence to west/front and north/side. Still, that would be a hecka lot of fencing. Even chain link is going to be much more than I would like to spend. If the barrier is just going to be an impediment rather than a true obstacle, it would be much less expensive and much more attractive to plant something(s.)

One of the approximately 7 "bibles" I currently consult (obviously, inclusive of "ERE") when planning my lifestyle is "A Pattern Language" by Alexander/Ishakawa/Silverstein. The overall gist is that you need to consider what human emotions or core needs you might be evoking or serving when you engage in architectural or garden design at various levels and these core needs/preferred emotional states can be described as a series of modules or patterns such as "window overlooking life", "network of learning", "quiet backs", "sheltering roofs", "compost", "sitting circle"...

So, when I was at the Money Dimple yesterday, I tried to think how I might best solve my feelings of anxiety through improved pattern. I should note that my last urban permaculture project* was in a neighborhood that was objectively just as semi-sketchy as my new neighborhood, but I didn't experience "flashback" in that context, so I tried to think about what was different. First difference would be that I already had some level of social connection prior to buying the property, because I was living with my sister in an apartment she had already had for a while, and I had started part-time substitute teaching in the neighborhood. So, for each sketchy interaction I experienced, I had a balance of more positive interactions. The second difference, more directly related to attempt to decode notes from "A Pattern Language" is that the extent to which the house and even the garage is still boarded up gives me a feeling of being trapped, because relatively dark space with only 1 means of egress. This was also true of my prior workspace in which I was assaulted because it was a warehouse/garage type space which had been broken into rental workspace units with floor to ceiling modular walling. It was not a legal living space, but I frequently spent the night there on a couch after my divorce, because the tiny apartment I had rented so my daughter could finish high school in the same small town she started kindergarten was an hour away through deer country.

Therefore, given that the actual probability of being physically attacked in broad daylight by a random home invader is pretty darn low, even in semi-sketchy neighborhood in fairly dangerous city (The odds that I will be mangled in car wreck driving to the Money Dimple due to fail of steel cage of my tiny Smart vehicle is much higher, yet still within my range of acceptability, because I do not want to live a cotton ball coated life. The odds of ending up belly down with a tube in my throat due to Covid if I wandered about in public without a mask were beyond my range of acceptability prior to vaccination. Internet dating only semi-vetted gentleman is within my range of acceptability. etc. etc.), and the fact that I'm not very concerned about the possibility/likelihood of theft/vandalism (humans who do stuff like that aren't really any worse to deal with than groundhogs, rats, roaches or powdery mildew, and I don't own/flaunt expensive stuff), my feelings of anxiety are left as the primary problem (fearing fear itself.) So, MMV, but for me, surrounding myself with stuff like metal bars, guns, ugly fences would subliminally make me feel more anxious. So, yesterday, I went out of my way to introduce myself to another neighbor and her dog, I mostly worked outside in the sunshine, and I made plans to facilitate a second functional door at the rear of the house and greater ease in taking down and putting back up more of the boarding on the windows when I work inside the house.

*My last rural permaculture project was in dark at night "the pines, the pines, where the sun it does not shine, I shiver the whole night through" bear territory near militia shooting area, so not entirely without danger or known human primal phobic elements, but didn't trigger "flashback" at all, because very different setting.

@Stasher@Alphaville:

I'm familiar with Curtis Stone. He's extremely cool, but I do not want to run a $100,000 a year, high churn business dealing in highly perishable limited inventory. At the peak of my rare book dealing, we were churning well over $100,000/year, my sister/partner and I were drawing around $30,000 each, and I was employing my two teenage kids and two or three of their friends as part-time shipping/hauling/data entry staff. So, I pretty well know the level of hassle running Curtis Stone's business would entail, and I know it would be much worse with perishable goods. There would have to be high level of daily routine maintained/managed and also regulations pertaining to food sales, and dealing with routines and regulations is definitely not my flow zone. If I was going to plan for a cash crop, it would likely be slow growing ornamental. The grouchy old man and I planted ginseng as cash crop on his rural site, but he could also sell timber; low maintenance, slow growth, high profit. Or another way to look at it would be that I want my lifestyle moving forward to be more in the Renaissance Man quadrant than in the Business man quadrant, even if that requires some balance in the Working Man quadrant in the form of doing something like very part-time substitute teaching in addition to running a very, very small business. I do plan on joining the very active local urban gardening organization post-Covid.

This relates to more general puzzle that has been semi-obsessing me lately. Let's assume that the $6000 (and growing :? ) that I have invested in the Money Dimple is towards starting a business rather than providing me with very inexpensive housing. My already entailed overhead would be property taxes approximating $40/month (less if/when I declare it as homestead, more if my repairs cause doubling of current assessment), insurance if/when I am able/choose to procure it, and city demanded minimal safety, blight, and lawn/snow maintenance (which is WAAAAY more hassle/expense on 1/3 acre of residential in city vs even huge rural timber acreage) inclusive of possibility that the buildings on my property might be condemned if I don't move forward with repairs and permits in timely fashion. Since we are positing this as business rather than personal/household spending, let's say my micro-corporation takes out a loan from my investment account or a bank for $40,000 at 5% to get buildings up to code, and paying somebody else (if I was passive, absentee owner) to mow lawn, change furnace filters, etc (all regular maintenance) would run $200/month. That would make monthly overhead about $300-$400. Putting aside potential for underlying real estate value growth/decline, 3% of $46,000 (if fully self-funded) would equal owner draw of $1380/year plus the theoretical wage I might pay myself for active work hours beyond those I might spend managing more passive "business" of managing financial market investments. Obviously, the wage I theoretically would be willing to work for at this business would depend on how much I enjoy/value the activity vs. other activities at which I might self-employ myself or other-employ myself and how much I would have to pay others to render the business more passive in activities I don't enjoy or excel (why I paid teenage boys to haul heavy boxes in cold barn with my book business, but always attended auctions myself.) So, to justify investing $46,000 of my own funds in this business, given that I enjoy doing my own maintenance, and I hire no employees, I would have to generate approximately $400 + total willing work wage to self + monthly rolling costs/inputs in gross post-tax income from business per month. So, for instance, if the work is enjoyable enough that I am willing to self-employ myself at wage of $15/hr for 40 hours/month = $600/month = approximately 1 Jacob spending, monthly gross would only have to be approximately $1000 plus rolling expenses/taxes. IOW, extreme micro-micro business. Highly likely that I didn't connect the dots very well, because largely reflecting on my own unique experience, but the point I am attempting to make is that to me there is a huge realm of potentially unexplored possibilities between the "business" of being your own financial manager of relatively large amount of capital and relatively high hourly wage vs. the "business" of engaging in frugal home economics which requires very low capital investment and "pays" increasingly lower wage at margin. I know this reads like I am harkening back to simple notion of comparative advantage, but really I am doing the opposite because the range of activities that a human can engage in that lie in the realm between frugal home economics and managing stock market investments is HUUUUUUGE! I mean, anything you could possible do for a hobby, you could also possibly do as a business given some degree of attention*time (skill) and capital (tool) investment. IOW, think fewer people would feel at loose ends after achieving FI if they had more perspective or experience in the Business Man and/or to some extent Working Man quadrant prior to leaving the Salary Man quadrant, especially experience with hands-on, material/inventory/space/tool requiring businesses or working man gigs that weren't entirely modern minimalist style ("nothing but the internet") skill based such as consulting, writing or blogging and/or something like an idealized permaculture primitive technology permaculture project starting with "nothing but the land." Just think how the possibilities immediately start to exponentially expand if you add investment in any other random tool or resource to the mix. Land, internet, lithography equipment, microscope. Land, internet, truck, piano. Land, internet, sewing machine, row boat.

Stasher

Post by Stasher »

I didn't suggest you do the work or be Curtis Stone, my suggestion is that you offer your land to someone in this type of scenario. You do no work and in return have an extra set of eyes for security, the land is improved and maintained and hopefully in return you can collect a small income or food in return. I can only imagine how much work it is for him to run his business.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

@7w5

☝️please never delete your post above this one! i'd like to revisit--often.

i have nothing to say right now, except that i'm happy to see your mind has kicked into high gear and you're actively plotting.

oh, but to this:
7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:09 am
So, MMV, but for me, surrounding myself with stuff like metal bars, guns, ugly fences would subliminally make me feel more anxious. So, yesterday, I went out of my way to introduce myself to another neighbor and her dog...
yeah i knew this about you when i wrote earlier in this thread:
Alphaville wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:13 pm
i suspect @7w5 would be better served by a friendly/collaborative social strategy with neighbors, which suits her temperament and invites cooperation.

there are ways to get community respect other than the threat of violence--better ones, in fact.
:mrgreen:

but brainstorm is, you know, brainstorm, so i went there anyway (just in case)

so, again, glad to see your problem-solving process at work! seems well caffeinated and i enjoy reading it.

mooretrees

Post by mooretrees »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Thu Apr 01, 2021 10:09 am
I know this reads like I am harkening back to simple notion of comparative advantage, but really I am doing the opposite because the range of activities that a human can engage in that lie in the realm between frugal home economics and managing stock market investments is HUUUUUUGE! I mean, anything you could possible do for a hobby, you could also possibly do as a business given some degree of attention*time (skill) and capital (tool) investment. IOW, think fewer people would feel at loose ends after achieving FI if they had more perspective or experience in the Business Man and/or to some extent Working Man quadrant prior to leaving the Salary Man quadrant, especially experience with hands-on, material/inventory/space/tool requiring businesses or working man gigs that weren't entirely modern minimalist style ("nothing but the internet") skill based such as consulting, writing or blogging and/or something like an idealized permaculture primitive technology permaculture project starting with "nothing but the land." Just think how the possibilities immediately start to exponentially expand if you add investment in any other random tool or resource to the mix. Land, internet, lithography equipment, microscope. Land, internet, truck, piano. Land, internet, sewing machine, row boat.
YESSSS! In the short time I've been part time, I've come up with two micro businesses, candle making (beeswax) and compost bike hauler (technically the local baker's idea tbh). Small capitol outlays for both, diversification of money and interest and low maintenance for me. I like this path so much better than investment manager of large fund from working many years. I can't seem to motivate myself to read about economics or investing and don't want to work full time ever again.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Stasher wrote:I didn't suggest you do the work or be Curtis Stone, my suggestion is that you offer your land to someone in this type of scenario. You do no work and in return have an extra set of eyes for security, the land is improved and maintained and hopefully in return you can collect a small income or food in return. I can only imagine how much work it is for him to run his business.
Gotcha. The problem with this scenario, which I have previously enacted to some extent in a few different contexts, is that the likelihood that an energetic, young dominant like Curtis Stone would take over my entire project leaving me to either the role of helper or dowager is very high. Even an energetic old dominant like Curtis Stone's Dad could do it, but then the high likelihood that I would also end up in bed with him would be the additional upside/downside. It would be roughly analogous to what would happen if I allowed my shopaholic mother who has the same personality type as Donald Trump any input/influence on my interior decor if she wasn't currently hobbled with a bad hip AND a bad knee.
Alphaville wrote:please never delete your post above this one!
No worries. The only posts I would ever delete are ones in which I babbled rude or revealing things about other people in my life in a low functioning moment. I do try to delete that stuff periodically. Unfortunately, because I did belong to a therapy group on the internet for a number of years, I tend to do that too much. Rude or risky stuff I revealed about myself, I don't care :lol:

@mooretrees:

Yup. I feel this way even though economics (not so much details of applied finance) has long been one of my core interests. I think part of what I am trying to question or suggest is that maybe it would be more than okay to plan on periodically investing (taking out of stock market investments) not entirely insignificant amounts of capital towards personal development or endeavor either on path to FIRE or afterwards. Even though I am also highly interested in hobbies such as Primitive Technology, there's a limit to that sort of thing and also frequently it is easier or necessary to train/ tool up before you can train/tool down. For instance, taking some classes on modern kiln work prior to attempting to build a kiln from scratch and dig clay out of your backyard. Also, it can be much easier to get to the level of making a profit if you invest in some modern tools. This is obvious if you consider that any/every stock issuing business you might invest in passively is absolutely making use of modern tools. In fact, their development of even more modern tools is pretty much what you are funding. IOW, almost every dollar you invest on Wall Street is a vote for high tech globalist future. MMV, but I'm only wanting to throw down about 20% max on towards that potential/possibility. I also think it is old school reductionist economic theory intersection of supply/demand bullshit to believe that existing big businesses must be super efficient due to fact of their survival. Is an elephant more efficient than a mouse? IOW, it's also okay to try/fail and/or waste some time/money/resources in attempt to create your own micro-business or endeavor or train yourself in something new, because big businesses in which you might otherwise passively invest do that too, all the freaking time and sometimes quite spectacularly badly.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

I just started reading Investing by Bodie et al, and in the first chapter it made the distinction between financial assets and real assets. I ran across this:

"whereas household financial decisions are concerned with how to invest money, businesses typically need to raise money to finance their investments in real assets: plant, equipment, technological know-how, and so forth."

And thought to myself that from one perspective the ERE mindset is to move from a household to a business mindset, or rather to blend the two, because you see yourself as an entity not simply as a consumer but as a producer of real value as well. Hence, you have to "break free" from the consumer/householder investor mindset of "financial assets only" to the business mindset of "financial *and* real assets". One's outlook of course will influence your asset allocation process (e.g. more doomer = buy grain grinders and learn to grow kale, less doomer = learn a second high-tech and high-earning potential profession/side hustle). I'm not suggesting that the howlie must adopt a purely business-style relationship to assets, in which leveraging debt plays a dominant role, but it should be some sort of blend/hybrid and they must not accept a pure household-style, financial-asset only perspective.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

WARNING: Long rambling post in which I review/revisit too much personal history and never quite get to point I was attempting to make.

@AxelHeyst:

I just came across similar quote in "Radical Homemakers: Reclaiming Domesticity From a Consumer Culture" by Shannon Hayes. This book was recommended by Bill Mollison in "Retrosuburbia."
...Mainstream American culture views the household as a unit of consumption. By this conventional standard, the household consumes food, clothing, household technology, repair and debt services, electricity, entertainment, health-care services, and environmental resources. In order to be a "successful" unit of consumption, the household must have money. Ruth's and Sanford's household was not a unit of consumption. By growing their own food, living within their means, providing much of their own health care, and relying on community, family, and barter for meeting their remainng needs, their household was essentially a unit of production (just not by the standards of a market economy.) Thus, their income wasn't critical to their well-being, In fact, over the course of her life, Ruth even amassed considerable financial savings.
I was already functioning somewhat in alignment with this line of thinking in my late 20s when I was home with my two babies making do on my ex-husband's income which was around $24,000 which wasn't very much even back in the early 90s. "The Tightwad Gazette", "YMOYL" and a bunch of hippie breast-feeding/family bed advocating periodicals were 3 of my approximately 7 lifestyle "bibles" during that phase of life. I followed the practice outlined in "YMOYL" pretty religiously for a couple years, but only to the point of achieving the financial goal of buying our own house on this very small income. Unfortunately, expenses related to that lovely, but very large, drafty and fairly decrepit house AKA The Money Pit and other aspects of attached lifestyle such as increased commute, school-aged kid expenses, etc. led to our overall expenses increasing to the point that I felt compelled to get a full-time job outside the home for "just a while" which turned into almost 6 years largely due in part to the increased expenses of two-income household such as child-care, second car, losing my mind picking up messes after working all day etc. So, after I started my book business, which allowed me great flexibility and the ability to work from home and put on a pot of soup in the afternoon etc., our expenses went down again. So, hindsight being 20/20, if I had to do it all over again, I would have attempted to create some sort of "family business" right from the get-go. Therefore, on practical level, a point I am trying to make is that there are a bajillion more kinds of family business's than just a family farm. A further practical point, which I learned the semi-hard way, is that there is a reason why farmer's often had to go work on the railroad to pull together some cash, so it is extremely helpful, even if you are a one-person household, to have even a very small steady cash flow income in addition to "business" income. It's the nature of business to have variations in cash flow and sometimes you may even experience large gaps in income, because you have to seriously rethink the business of your business or even start again from scratch. Even an apple orchard will only bear fruit for so many years, if it isn't periodically replanted, and income will decrease if peaches become lunch bag fruit of choice, etc. etc. Obviously, a large investment or a very large emergency account could serve similar purpose.

However, a lot of that was kind of a long, long time ago for me. Even if you don't mature or develop much, you still get older :lol: and that alone will change your perspective. I didn't divorce the father of my children until my youngest was almost college age, and I couldn't afford to maintain The Money Pit on my business income alone, so in my early 40s I resumed a Bohemian Grad Student like lifestyle, not too unlike I had experienced living in a Semi-Vegetarian Co-op in the same college town in my early 20s. I rented a room and office space from an academic-eccentric type friend and had a great deal of fun dating a lot of interesting men (as opposed to the a lot of boys I dated in my early 20s.) My rent was next to nothing, because I bartered my cooking skills into the mix, and my entertainment costs were pretty much covered by the men I was dating. One of my housemates was a Girlfriend Experience Escort, and I was reading books on the topic of Cultural Capital and village life anthropology, so that's when I started developing my Lentil Baby concept, which is basically that you apply all the skills/resources/practices of a Radical Homemaker, but at the Community rather than the Family level. IOW, instead of bartering all these skills/resources/practices to just one SO and your own biological children, or monetizing/professionalizing them as, for example, High Paid Girlfriend Experience Escort and Founder of Mrs. Fields Cookie Corporation on Board of Bengal Tigers Formally Used in Fashion Spreads Rescue Association, you engage at the level of barter in something approximating biking distance community or extent of region Native American Tribe yearly migrated. However, this concept didn't really fully gel until after I left my second "marriage" under Islamic contract and became polyamorous when I was around 50, and was already a member of this forum. One problem with my second "marriage" was that to some extent I felt like I was "doing the same thing again" but under much easier circumstances, because my second "husband" was already millionaire next door affluent early retired. For instance, meeting some self-imposed challenge of cooking delicious dinner for only $2 provided me with no extra freedom through frugality, and I was not yet fully aware of issues related to climate change etc. Also, due to poor personal boundary maintenance skills, I allowed my "ex" to talk me into helping him with his landlord business and other of his financial matters rather than spending as much time/energy on my own business, because he argued that his business made much more money at the margin, which was true but irrelevant to my feelings of personal freedom which were admittedly also somewhat threatened by his adherence to patriarchal religion even though his politics were liberal and his sexuality was very open-minded and fun*.

So, with my current Money Dimple project, I am on one level looping back around to my Money Pit project which was a quarter of a century ago, but this time totally on my own and from a changed perspective. I'm also looping back around to my other permaculture projects which were only within the last 10 years, although my first major gardening project which went up to the level of mixed vegetable/ornamental annual/perennial Potager was also during the Money Pit years.

Anyways, switching gears to current news. Zuka came back and stole some of my stuff and some of my electrical copper!!! The reason I think it was Zuka is that they once again spray painted LOVE on my garage, in milky white over the blue they had used previously. Also, the assortment of stuff they took vs left was kind of odd. For instance, they took my bright pink respirator mask and the white plastic chain I was going to use for my rain barrels, but left my level and my crowbar. My response to this was somewhat surprisingly neither fear or anger (or very little anyways), but more like amused determination. Maybe this was due to telling myself that human vandals are like groundhogs. Dunno. I did a few obvious practical things like doubling up the boarding they had ripped off of the kitchen entrance, securing my remaining stuff I don't want to haul around in the car in the shed, and putting up a small solar powered motion detecting light in the "alley" between the house and the garage. I also bought a bigger motion detecting flood light to put up high on the garage, but I will need to obtain better ladder to install it. Then my mind went to kooky while I was wandering around Home Depot, and I also purchased some white primer (which I need anyways) and a little can of glow-in-the-dark green paint. My initial thought was that I was going to paint over the LOVE graffiti with the glow in the dark in my own larger font, but I ended up just painting over the LOVE with white primer in my own larger font and then painting SMILE in glow in the dark on one of the large front facing window boards. My thought being that it simultaneously kind of matched the insolence of the LOVE, but had the added function of conveying possibility of camera on site. Prior to arriving on site and becoming aware of theft/vandalism, I had already come up with a rough plan for building a bit of a barricade out of straw bales filled/topped with sunflowers, so I will also proceed with that plan ASAP, and I will actually buy a security camera as soon as I have a chance to better research the options.

Kind of made me realize that where I am in life is that I don't really care what challenge I am addressing on any given day or whether or not I make any measurable "progress" as long as I am free to address the challenges I encounter on my own terms. Something like that...

*One thing that will likely never stop baffling me is how frequently men can exhibit sexuality that does not otherwise match their lifestyle or personality at all. This is also true of my current partner, and when I recently asked him how he deals with the cognitive dissonance, he just laughed and said "Yeah, I can see how you might think that would cause cognitive dissonance." ???????

Stasher

Post by Stasher »

Thanks for sharing and reflecting, unique perspectives & life experiences are what provide value to reading the journals in these forums. Your contribution is surely one of value and I enjoyed catching up on today's entry from you. Thank-you

Looking forward to hearing how the glow in the dark smile works :idea: :mrgreen:
Last edited by Stasher on Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Stasher wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:22 am
flow in the dark smile
Pretty sure that was a typo but I have my new motto for life now.

@7 thanks for the thoughts - I read Radical Homemakers a couple months ago and really liked it, and your thoughts of expanding it beyond household level is super interesting. That maybe kinda sorta is a theme I'm trying to work towards.

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

That's really interesting hearing how you came to develop the Lentil Baby concept. Hope you're able to come to a suitable equilibrium with the vandals.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Stasher:

You shouldn’t have edited. Flow in the dark smile was genius.

@AxelHeyst:

Okay, now I remember why I was semi-addressing that rambling memoir to you. It occurred to me that your barter with your friend of radical conventionally masculine homemaker skills in the form of carpentry was not unlike some analogous bartering I have done in the past in which issues related to clear contract and ownership did eventually result. This is now sort of a known problem with Lentil Baby concept for me which I am trying to get past/transcend/resolve. Obviously, my current Henny-Penny lack of desire to partner with anybody on anything and create a MY project boundary which is almost thoroughly enclosed by legal title in MY name is a bit dysfunctional reactionary. I know this, yet I have to do it anyways. Therefore, I found Hayes’ take on partnership vs domination society rather interesting, although not exactly believable as historical fact. Humans are proven adaptable, so no reason we can’t create the society we would like without resort to “natural” or historical precedent.

@BookLoverL:

Thanks. A friend offered suggestion of using hook eyes, crunchy tarps, and web of ropes “puzzle” as further layer of bafflement. I forgot to mention that I also put a Danger Do Not Enter sign on the repaired back door boarding. Zuka could have broken their leg falling through half removed rotted flooring area in the dark.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

wondering if zuka's "love" means something else. like this:

https://www.popularmechanics.com/techno ... hobo-code/

Stasher

Post by Stasher »

@7W5 @AxelHyst :P

also, just requested the Shannon Hayes book from the library to check it out

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Alphaville:

Good possibility. I figure making it look more like Pumpkin Lady Porch Art will lend confusion to any/all such messaging. I also considered buying some big kitschy wooden letters from JoAnnes Fabric and Crafts to rewrite the LOVE or pink glitter paint and stencils.

When I was sharing an apartment in college with my very artsy sister and a similarly artsy friend, I invited a guy I liked from work over. He showed up very stoned and became completely freaked out by a table to which my artsy roommates had glued a very realistic full place setting and meal. That’s kind of the effect I am hoping to create.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:15 pm
That’s kind of the effect I am hoping to create.
those are some heavy psyops :lol: