7Wannabe5- Take 7- The Money Dimple

Where are you and where are you going?
7Wannabe5

Re: 7Wannabe5- Take 7- The Money Dimple

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I do have some experience teaching inner city youth. I have on occasion confused delinquent teenagers into reasonable behavior by cheerfully behaving as though I thought they were gold star second graders or midlife middle management attendees of a sales conference at a Ramada in Dayton, Ohio. I also should have left a box of donuts on the kitchen counter.

Tiny gps tracking devices, super glue on pads , hooking hidden battery up to remaining wiring, mirrors combined with playback video, wet noodles falling from the ceiling,..the possibilities are pretty much endless.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

That's a bummer about the break in, but it seems like you're handling it with grace. Love the idea of of embracing and expanding on the graffiti :)

Toska2

Post by Toska2 »

A thorny blackberry hedge is nearly impossible to traverse through or jump over. You could find it wild, transplant in your yard and rogue garden barren spots with any extra. I am unaware of the light requirements of blackberries although I have seen raspberries grow 5' on the north side of buildings.

Safety, privacy and food for free.

The guy commenting on the walnut tree wasnt lying, its worth $$$.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@Toska2:

I already have quite a few raspberries on the property, but not in location that aids security. A thorny edible edge on the northern boundary would work well with my overall plan, so moving the raspberries would be good idea, but I have well over 200 linear feet of open access to secure. Blackberry can cover a lot of ground, but not in first season in my experience, so would have to integrate with temporary barrier such as straw bales and staked trellising.

Obviously, I could budget well over $100/month ad infinitum for security on this property and it would still be way cheaper than anything in the suburbs.

I know that walnut is worth some $$$, but it is my understanding that the machinery necessary to keep it safe in urban setting obliterates any profit. Also, how am I going to make cookies in the post-apocalypse if I don’t have a mature nut tree? Theoretically, I should be able to gather 60 lbs/year @$10/lb retail =$600 =3% of $20,000. Mmmmm...raspberry, black walnut, maple syrup, cornmeal cookies. A lb of black walnuts provides about 3000 kcals, so 60 lbs could cover 1/3 of my yearly diet = 1/6 of my permaculture goal.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Oh, and cracking those black walnuts will provide hours of entertainment! (Those suckers are hard to shell IMO.)

sky

Post by sky »

I have foraged black walnuts, they have a nice flavor.

Foraging: Use a device that looks like a wire basket that rolls on the ground. The nuts push through the wires and are collected in the basket. You then pull the wires apart with your hands and dump the nuts into a pail.

Hulling: Soak the nuts in a pail of water for a few days. This produces a nasty dark green liquid that stains anything it touches and may be toxic. It would be a good natural dye. Fill a pail about 1/3 full with nuts, add water, and use a paint stirrer on a drill to separate the hulls from the nuts. Set up a screen to pour out the nuts and hulls on to. A wire metal shelf sections works well for this. Spray off the nuts and discard the hulls. Let the hulls dry for a few days, but be ready to protect them from theft by squirrels.

Cracking: Use an arbor press to crack the hulls, and a pointed object to pick out the meat.

It is a lot of work, but the flavor of black walnuts is quite nice.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@sky:

Thanks for the recipe! Also thanks for providing lightbulb moment in which memory of crunching black walnuts on sidewalk suddenly made me realize that it isn’t raccoon or squirrel poop raining down from my attic, it’s decaying black walnuts!!!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:18 pm
@sky:

Thanks for the recipe! Also thanks for providing lightbulb moment in which memory of crunching black walnuts on sidewalk suddenly made me realize that it isn’t raccoon or squirrel poop raining down from my attic, it’s decaying black walnuts!!!
dammit! and all this time... :lol: :lol: :lol:

massive congrats on such a bullet dodge. not just a bullet but a machine guy spray of bio-minefields :D

what a huge relief! wow...

llorona

Post by llorona »

Haven't logged in for a while. I come back and whoa - you have a home?? Nice!! Looking forward to seeing how the repairs and renovations progress. You're gonna develop some mad skills doing this!

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

@llorona:

Thanks. I am trying to keep the skill (and muscle/vigor) build in fun/zen flow balance with my investment on this project. So now I have slowed it down to rate of $5/hr. And I am puttering from one verb to another more in alignment with my preferences than anything resembling HGTV flip house efficiency. Observe, open, tidy, dispose, sweep, rake, saw, measure, log, water, tidy, close. Like that. Following the patterns of “making home.”

I am also going to attempt to repeat experiment I tried at my last urban permaculture project where I parked my camper. As the year turns towards the summer solstice, I will try to extend the portion of each day I can stay on my project without having to leave to get something I need. However, I can’t start this experiment until after I recover from side effects of second vaccination.

llorona

Post by llorona »

@7WB5: Wishing you a speedy recovery from the vaccine. It's crazy how side effects are all over the map.

Slow but steady is good! There's no huge rush and when you're done, you'll have a nice cozy place to live, designed to your liking and specifications.