Bathroom:

Dining Room View to Kitchen Featuring 1970s Design Open Look:

Kitchen:

Bedroom with View to Scary Staircase to Attic:

Scary Staircase to Attic "Room":

Gilberto de Piento

Re: 7Wannabe5- Take 7- The Money Dimple

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Looks like a giant project but a good place to start at a bargain price. Very happy for you and looking forward to hearing about your progress. You can definitely handle this.

How is the rest of the neighborhood in terms of the shape of the other houses and levels of crime?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

holy moly what happened there!

i would first strip it all clean

then i would sort out the removals into ""upcycle" "recycle" and "biohazard" :D

i gotta tell you im experiencing massive PROJECT ENVY

i have the healthy kind of envy though, not the hateful one. that looks like so much fuuuuuuuuun!

and yeah forget about moving in this winter. how about renting a room in the neighborhood for a month or more?

i wholeheartedly support the dumpster, but also maybe hire some help? once the place is clean you should be able to do carpentry in peace not under fecal menace. some help sometimes comes free, such as in the form of organizations that pick up donations...

and some of that stuff can be sold, actually.

btw i don't see that so much as "attic room" as a loft in a near-tiny house. you could do a lot with the place. the size is ideal for one person--roomy even by urban standards. and could become ultraenergyefficient.

but first--exorcismus! :lol:

(doesn't look like a crime scene though, just more like nature is taking over. hence the need to remove rot/mold.)

Dream of Freedom

Post by Dream of Freedom »

You should seal the place up first. There is no point in getting rid of animals if they can just move back in. Are you going to going to make/get a catch pole and animal traps and do it yourself or call the exterminator?

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Looks like a dumpster and a visit from your sister's dogs are in order.

Large dogs leave many traces. The sort that raccoons, and other undesirable influences tend to avoid.

As a temporary stop gap, spray foam can be used thru a plug of hardware cloth or steel wool (depending on gap size) and makes a animal resistant plug to fill gaps. Nothing you can't remove later, (when actual carpentry can begin) and will help with the first problem, separating the inside from the outside.

Dream of Freedom

As for security they sell security lights that run on solar so you don't have to wait for electricity. A NRA sticker placed prominently and a large pair of mens boots outside the door might make someone think twice. Of course carry pepper spray.

white belt

Post by white belt »

Now the price tag makes sense. Are you going to be able to clear that junk out yourself? Seems like a great gig for a strapping teenage nephew and a few friends. Compare prices of getting your own dumpster vs paying a service to just clear everything out and haul it away. Or you could probably hire some day laborers outside the local Home Depot to fill the dumpster. Maybe it’s just a psychological thing, but it’s hard for me to visualize things with all the junk in the way.

I’ll echo that a large dog companion may be useful to deter pests and provide security in initial occupation stages. A large dog bowl on the front porch is probably one of the best deterrents.

It also may be possible to temporarily seal things off with plastic wraps. It will at least keep the elements out.

BookLoverL

Post by BookLoverL »

Looks like a big project to take on, but should be a good size and look nice once it's cleaned up. Good luck with it!

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Dream of Freedom wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 11:50 am
A NRA sticker placed prominently and a large pair of mens boots outside the door might make someone think twice.
think about what tasty guns may be stolen from the inside? :lol:

to me that sounds like a dare. an attractive nuisance for danger-loving teenagers and thieves looking for valuables.

i suspect @7w5 would be better served by a friendly/collaborative social strategy with neighbors, which suits her temperament and invites cooperation.

there are ways to get community respect other than the threat of violence--better ones, in fact.

besides, one's mouth should never write checks one's ass can't cash (lol, the syntax of this). unless she's willing to actually shoot live humans, she shouldn't pretend that she would.

Dream of Freedom

I have to disagree with you. Appearing vulnerable invites mischief more than appearing strong.

However she could get a sticker for a security alarm company instead.

Frita

Post by Frita »

Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the outbuildings may become habitable before the house. I can imagine what a nice place it will be when you’re done.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Dream of Freedom wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:31 pm
I have to disagree with you. Appearing vulnerable invites mischief more than appearing strong.
yes, but (edited for clarity) confidence signals strength, while the making of unprovoked threats signals fear.

similar mechanism is also is why concealed carry is smart, and open carry is stupid. concealed carry is a tactical ace in the hole. open carry is just asking for someone to come be your huckleberry. [eta see: https://dailycaller.com/2017/11/08/mass ... concealed/ and/or https://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/lets- ... pen-carry/ ]

imo the best security company is neighbors watching out for each other.
Frita wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 12:38 pm
It looks like the outbuildings may become habitable before the house.
yes! that she-shed would make a nice spring camp.

Dream of Freedom

Deception will probably work. Few know her so who is to say that she doesn't have a big boyfriend who hunts. It's only to protect some building materials and tools for a few weeks anyway. It's not this life or death thing you make it out to be.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

Dream of Freedom wrote:
Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:51 pm
Deception will probably work. Few know her so who is to say that she doesn't have a big boyfriend who hunts. It's only to protect some building materials and tools for a few weeks anyway. It's not this life or death thing you make it out to be.
i was with you in the original paragraph, but then you added the last sentence.

guns are by definition a matter of life and death, and their introduction, real or feigned, makes anything a matter of life and death.

as for deception, it works, but it's much easier to make people think that nothing of value is left there than to front as a big bad.

tsch

Post by tsch »

I have some project-envy myself, and at the same time not naive about the amount of effort that's going to take.

There are some good resources there. You can take some time with the trees. I wonder if coppicing the maple would be useful.

You can probably deal with the raccoon without calling in a paid pro, but you might have to borrow a live trap when you're ready to seal it up. There might be local wildlife rehab people who will help.

Thank you for the inspiration!

plantingtheseed

Post by plantingtheseed »

Bold. But nothing some elbow grease won't be able to take care of.
Last edited by plantingtheseed on Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Snowbound from fun with project for the time being :( Generally going well so far, although likely to be a continuing comedy of errors, such as dropping the padlock for the boarded front door through the holes in the porch deck which my arm couldn't fit though until I discovered that the board was currently only being held in place by ice.

GtOO wrote:As if this is the first time forum members have questioned your sanity? :lol:
As long as we're all having fun in the extra life :lol:

GdP wrote:How is the rest of the neighborhood in terms of the shape of the other houses and levels of crime?
My new neighborhood is separated from the most dangerous part of the city (according to heat maps) by a large light industrial zone. In fact, the light industrial zone starts right across the street from my house, and I can see the trains go by behind the bustling supply warehouse from my front window. Another reason for the bargain pricing. I would guesstimate my median neighbor as a 39 year old divorced intermittently employed machinist who sometimes drinks a bit too much and rides his snowmobile across the lawn of the (previously) abandoned house on the corner lot. I feel quite safe working there during the day. Staying there alone at night or leaving expensive tools scattered about might be another matter. That's where the big borrowed dog might come into play.
Alphaville wrote:i would first strip it all clean

then i would sort out the removals into ""upcycle" "recycle" and "biohazard" :D

and yeah forget about moving in this winter. how about renting a room in the neighborhood for a month or more?
This is my rough plan starting after the approximately 11 inches of snow expected over the course of this week. All I've managed to do so far is shovel out the two porches and enough of the driveway to park my car, lop down a bunch of grape vine that was blocking access to everything, and screw up some more plywood over any holes vaguely big enough for entry by an obese woodchuck or skinny human. Luckily, my new local Home Depot is only a couple miles away conveniently located very near the Aldi. I am borrowing or "inheriting" some of the tools I will need, but the expenses of going from uber-Minimalist to self-reliant home holder are already starting to rack up. I had to get large box contractor trash bags, reciprocating saw which uses same battery pack as my drill and another battery, long cuff neoprene gloves, whisk broom, decking screws, cleaning strength vinegar large jug, etc. etc. also gas and road food. Likely I will intermittently rent a motel room near the safest area of the city by the university campus, but then sometimes drive back to The Cowboy's place, so I can do laundry and save some money.
Dream of Freedom wrote:You should seal the place up first. There is no point in getting rid of animals if they can just move back in. Are you going to going to make/get a catch pole and animal traps and do it yourself or call the exterminator?...
As for security they sell security lights that run on solar so you don't have to wait for electricity. A NRA sticker placed prominently and a large pair of mens boots outside the door might make someone think twice. Of course carry pepper spray.
My rough plan is to get the place sealed up, inclusive of likely hiring somebody else to go up on the roof and put a grate on the chimney. but leave an exit only escape hatch (for bats a dangling sock works) and then put some bright lights and/or loud speakers in attic. I was brave enough to go up the scary stairs and look around the attic with my flashlight yesterday. It actually looks pretty good and dry and I didn't spot any critters.

I do plan on getting some solar lights. I am 5'9" and my snow boots are huge, so my tracks in the snow all around the house are probably medium-big man size. I have had my share of very big booted gun-owning BFs, but NRA sticker is not my personal style. I'm thinking more like kooky lady porch flag.
Riggerjack wrote:As a temporary stop gap, spray foam can be used thru a plug of hardware cloth or steel wool (depending on gap size) and makes a animal resistant plug to fill gaps. Nothing you can't remove later, (when actual carpentry can begin) and will help with the first problem, separating the inside from the outside.
Good tip. I'll try this in my next round of trying to block even chubby chipmunk sized holes. I am going to have a shit ton of actual carpentry to do. I was freaking out a bit about how off square the interior appeared, but on further inspection decided that it was largely due to busy wallpaper and odd trim lending a funhouse effect to the small imperfect rooms. Also, I was informed that since the structure is only one-story, worst-case scenario isn't that bad. Still, highly likely I am going to hire a professional to deal with the rotted window header and somewhat sagging archway problem on front load bearing wall. I did build an interior wall and install a door in it myself in my old, old house, but obviously I didn't have to fret about loads with that project. I'm most confident about being able to do the plumbing myself, because I have done more of that, but with this house it will require me to work in rather tight 1927 era crawlspace :o
Frita wrote:Thanks for the pictures. It looks like the outbuildings may become habitable before the house. I can imagine what a nice place it will be when you’re done.
Yeah, I can see myself camping out in the shed this summer if it seems like I can get away with it. Theoretically, I am legally entitled to do it for two weeks anyways. Thanks for the encouragement, but it's going to take me a minute to get to "nice" :lol:
Now the price tag makes sense. Are you going to be able to clear that junk out yourself? Seems like a great gig for a strapping teenage nephew and a few friends. Compare prices of getting your own dumpster vs paying a service to just clear everything out and haul it away. Or you could probably hire some day laborers outside the local Home Depot to fill the dumpster. Maybe it’s just a psychological thing, but it’s hard for me to visualize things with all the junk in the way.
I've already got my two kids and my son-in-law and maybe my son's housemate booked for a fun day of dumpstering. The problem with hiring help at this juncture is that there may be some elements that I can re-use in the heap of junk. Given the ability to hack stuff up with my battery powered reciprocating saw as needful and the jumbo jar of soft get ibuprofen I have already purchased, I could do most of it myself, but it will take a loooooong time, so I will have to calculate trade off vs paying for more motel nights etc.

The blurry big picture vision thing is very NP I think. I can already easily see myself sitting cozy in the corner of the living room in the re-upholstered old chair from the shed. The problem is getting from here to there without spending more than $20,000 total.
tsch wrote:There are some good resources there. You can take some time with the trees. I wonder if coppicing the maple would be useful.
Beyond getting to the point of basic safety and functioning certificate of occupancy for the house, I intend to try to stick pretty hard to first rule of permaculture regarding Observe for a Year and advice from wise old country real estate woman who sold me my first renovation project, which was "Just clean it for a year." The lot is big enough to provide some flexibility for most sun loving plantings, and I highly doubt I will get much done beyond token pot of bright annuals on the front porch this season anyways. If I determine it's still a good spot, I will cover what was obviously the old vegetable patch in the southeast corner with cardboard and layers of manure, compost, and dry brown matter this fall to mellow over the winter for Spring 2022 planting. Then I will sit in my cozy chair in my cozy little living room with a cozy little pot of soup simmering on my tiny little stove and spend the winter leafing through seed catalogues. Fingers crossed.
plantingtheseed wrote: nothing some elbow grease won't be able to take care of.
Yup, combined with aforementioned extra large bottle of soft gel ibuprofen capsules and a modicum of luck.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

A few notes.

The old chimney might be useful. Watch videos on repointing, to see how repair is done. If you can save it, it is useful for a pellet stove. They make a one piece flexible chimney liner for piping pellet smoke all the way out, up a non-combustible chase (your chimney).

If you choose pellet stove, be aware that the piping is not cheap. But it is amateur friendly.

The way to replace a rotted header is to frame a wall, inside, to take the load, then replace anything in your original wall, then remove your temp wall. Time consuming, and awkward, but not rocket surgery. 8-) watch videos to see if you want to tackle it yourself. Search for rot before deciding on a plan of action. Get it all at once.

Have fun, and be safe.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

7Wannabe5 wrote:
Mon Feb 15, 2021 10:46 am
Yeah, I can see myself camping out in the shed this summer if it seems like I can get away with it. Theoretically, I am legally entitled to do it for two weeks anyways. Thanks for the encouragement, but it's going to take me a minute to get to "nice" :lol:
im thinking a (metaphorical) minute is going to be a lot faster and cheaper than however long it takes you to set up the house, yes?

so that could be the first space to get fixed, and your base of operations and/or rest/lunch place.

fix the shack, then fix the house with the help of the shack.

furthermore, i was thinking that a dog is expensive, but insurance is cheap. what would it take to insure your tools against theft?

(this aside from any personal security issues, etc, which i can't evaluate).

if my stuff were all to disappear from my apartment today it would be annoying but i'd get a big check from the insurance and go shopping. and my insurance is cheap.

ofc rates will differ where you live and the unoccupied house might be under a different legal regime, but i'd check with your provider/broker/whatever.

--

i have another idea i expect to get rejected from the outset but would you trade your covered motorcycle for a used compact pickup like a ford ranger? (i forget who here hates ford... everyone? :lol: ) this guy i hired once for a construction project had one with over 300k miles on it, and it was a decent carrier for his tools. talking about the pre-2012 compact, not the current midsize. i expect it would be infinitely repairable in motor city.