Hypothetical: Isolated Tropical Island or Faster ERE in the Middle East?

Where are you and where are you going?
Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

I came across an important decision this month, which will decide my future for the next 2 years. Two options for where I'd be going for work:
A) Diego Garcia - a tropical island in the middle of the Indian Ocean. Limited connectivity/resources, but safe and easy environment.
B) Bahrain - a port in the middle of the Middle East. More money (faster ERE), but inherently dangerous area.
Due to my contract, I will end up being in either one of these locations for at least 18 months.
I've already made my decision, but I was curious as to see what everyone would choose if given the options...

AnneBentham

Post by AnneBentham »

How much faster?

Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

@AnneBentham: If I kept at the rate I was going... probably would kill off an extra 6 months on my timetable to freedom.

AnneBentham

Post by AnneBentham »

I'd probably pick Bahrain, but it depends on the job.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I've had a couple of people emailing me asking why I don't recommend "careers" in the Middle East more. The, I guess you could call it risk-pay, is enormous because most people don't want to live in what is perceived as dangerous (yet have no problem living in Washington DC).

Chad

Post by Chad »

As someone who lives in DC (Arlington, VA) I can assure you it is much safer than an American living in Bahrain. Though, it's not like Bahrain is horribly dangerous. Now, I would assume this job is at the U.S. military base in Bahrain, so this would increase some types of risk and reduce others (assuming you live and work on base).
Saudi's had to send in troops to put down the recent unrest, which doesn't bode well for Americans as the population of Bahrain would likely conclude that the U.S. encouraged Saudi Arabia to do it.
Though, none of this is why I wouldn't go to Bahrain. I just think the quality of life would be better and more fun at the base at Diego Garcia (I am an introvert). Even if the Middle East was 100% safe it is about the last place I would want to live. Take an historical tour of some ruins...sure. But, live no. But, to each his own.

Surio

Post by Surio »

\begin{rant}
Gaahhhhh.....
I hate both places equally....
What the British and American Governments did to the people living in Diego Garcia islands is nothing short of genocide!
As an Indian, I know conditions of foreign workers in Bahrain is nothing short of a glorified concentration camp!
I have turned down lucrative job offers in the Middle East in the past because of my intense dislike for how they treat workers who are essentially propping up their economies. An an American, your stepmotherly treatment may be milder than the stepmotherly treatment to the 'oh those Indians', but it is still stepmotherly, IMO! (Although personally, I would have liked it if Sex and City 2 was ended with those 4 getting beheaded -- only read Roger Ebert's review, and that was enough for me to reach this conclusion!)
\end{rant}
P.S: Sorry about the rant. Here's a stick figure review of the said film by an Indian: Enjoy!

http://www.thevigilidiot.com/2010/06/26 ... he-city-2/

Chad

Post by Chad »

Sadly, your rant could be about any country (poor treatment of some group in history). It is even sadder that the U.S. is actually the closest to being the most benevolent empire. I thought we had even learned from our mistakes (Vietnam) in this century. Sadly, this decade proves that we didn't.
Though, I am hopeful with the Millennials coming up. They have their own issues, but seem to be more moral than the Baby Boomers. Gen X is just too small to have more than a small voice.

Surio

Post by Surio »

@Chad,

Agreed on your point. In this case, the shoddy treatment is relatively recent and is ongoing (2010 still ongoing!). That is what miffs me most.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Depopulati ... ego_Garcia
These so called 'trade route' strategical islands that were colonised during the age of empires such as,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andaman_an ... ar_Islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Helena

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falkland_Islands

along with Lakshadweep, Diego Garcia, Mauritius and Maldives are certainly more tragic footnotes of History though than other places. I am not speaking of Malayan, Korean and Japanese islands still.... Oh and PNG, and... Never mind, I give up!
With this new discovery:

geological surveys had shown there might be up to 60 billion barrels (9.5 billion cubic metres) of oil under the sea bed surrounding the Falkland islands. In September 2010 Rockhopper Exploration released news that a flow test of the Sea-Lion 1 discovery was a commercially viable find.

Update: March 2011 report release indicated significant reservoir package with a downhole mini Drill Stern Test flowing oil at better rates then the September 2010 flow test: confidence in the commerciality of the Sea Lion discovery has been increased by this first appraisal

The next Falklands war is merely a question of "When", not "If". Gentlemen, place your bets :-|
OK, back to @Beaudacious' query.

Chad

Post by Chad »

While I don't dispute the stats for the Falklands, I doubt there will be war. The reason being that oil will bring direct U.S. (plus, we owe them for Iraq - this is not a moral judgement) support to the U.K. Even if the U.S. is still the only superpower for the next couple decades, it means that Argentina has no chance.
Again, I'm not saying it is right or not, just saying that war won't happen because Argentina knows they have no chance.
Take care, Surio.

Surio

Post by Surio »

Interesting point you raise. In agreement I am.
Peace is always better :-D. Thanks for that Chad.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Agreed. Peace is always better. I have been severely disappointed in my home country over the past decade. Going into Afghanistan was legit, as they actively supported al Queda (though, my strategy would have been different). Going into Iraq was questionable at best. Being a citizen of the only superpower carries burdens I'm afraid most of my other citizens don't understand. Not that I think other people in the world are any better prepared to make these judgements than we are, just that we failed this decade. It is disheartening, as growing up I actually thought, though we made mistakes, that we fell on the moral side the majority of time. Just shows we have more work to do.

Chad

Post by Chad »

Oh, by the way, I enjoy discussions with you Surio, as we seem to come from different philosophies/places, but are at least moderately open to the others point of view. I have found some of your other comments the opposite of my view and acceptable, even if I didn't provide a comment back.
Hope you have a good day.

Beaudacious

Post by Beaudacious »

@Chad and @Surio: I didn't intend for this topic to get political, but you both bring up valid points. I can't comment on the political decisions of the U.S., but I can comment on my decision to join the military (which has brought me to this current fork in the road). I'm not the religious type, but I feel blessed to be born in an environment that gives opportunities and freedoms that many people do not see. My service is dedicated to the people who came before me that sacrificed for those freedoms (which, as we've seen, many have taken for granted). I also personally wanted to gain some perspective internationally. Talk to me after I'm out of the service, and I'll share with you my beliefs on foreign affairs. But I'd prefer that we keep the discussion to the question at hand...
I guess a good follow-up question would be how risky/dangerous are you willing to go for quicker financial independence?

Surio

Post by Surio »

@Hi Chad,

Thanks for reaching out there, man. It is a swell thing to do, and I really appreciate it. The positive vibes that I've experienced with the members this week, is definitely *priceless* (as that dreaded Citibank ad would say!)
You know, I think the same way about my interactions with you. I sense I've formed a thread of empathy with some of the members here (yourself being one) -- I tend to engage your thread responses regularly because I know our positions are different, yet I also know, it is worthy knowing your response because of my own learning. In spite of the time I invest into it, I enjoy the discussions here with you folks because I've been learning in the process as well (DW has been supportive of my spending time here too, so thanks to her as well).
I know respect and empathy is difficult to achieve in impersonal discussions over the Net, as I grappled with it over at my blog recently too (just shows the learning never stops, Hey?) and so it is that much more appreciated when the mutual respect, admiration and cross-fertilisation of ideas is flowing.
I *sincerely* thank you for reaching out to me like this. It sure makes me thankful for the time I invest with you all here.
Thank you for the wishes and Yea, I wish you a good innings too, brother.
Best,

Surio.

---

Surio

Post by Surio »

@Beaudacious,

I know you've made up your mind on your assignment and also straight away sussed it out that you were military, when I read "Diego Garcia". So you kind of risked it by asking others' opinion on the issue. After all, surely you know that it may run contrary to your own?
In my case, I just stated what I *truly* thought about the two places, based on my own awareness quotient, and things kind of flowed on from there between the two of us (Chad and I) :-)
But I'll be honest with you, I, for one, am very glad I wrote my thoughts here because it has given me and Chad a unique opportunity to actually express our mutual admiration for each other. Hombre-to-Hombre moments are very rare to come by and must be treasured -- even if it happened on the Net! In this connection, I like to draw your attention to this excellent article on the value of friendships.

Aristotle, who saw friendship as essential to human flourishing, shrewdly observed that it comes in three distinct flavors: those based on usefulness, on pleasure, and on a shared pursuit of virtue—the highest form of all.

So in a way, for Chad and me this was a good platform to acknowledge each's role in the others' pursuit of knowledge and through that, virtue (shared pursuit of knowledge, in other words).
So, I hope you will not mind that we sort of hijacked your thread for a short while. :-)
I have already answered the follow-up question of yours, in case you didn't notice ;-). Here, let me point my earlier response to you:

I have turned down lucrative job offers in the Middle East in the past because of my intense dislike for how they treat workers who are essentially propping up their economies.

Another analogy for you, my good man:

"Good-bye," said he, "I'm off. You live in the lap of luxury, I can see, but you are surrounded by dangers; whereas at home I can enjoy my simple dinner of roots and corn in peace."

Source: Aesop's fables, "Town mouse and Country Mouse"

That's my ERE credo :-) I leave it to you all to draw your own conclusions.
But in today's POMO world, that story wouldn't fly, but this one, oh yes...baby it would! ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tale_o ... Town-Mouse
Surio.

ExpatERE

Post by ExpatERE »

"Being a citizen of the only superpower carries burdens I'm afraid most of my other citizens don't understand. Not that I think other people in the world are any better prepared to make these judgements than we are, just that we failed this decade. It is disheartening, as growing up I actually thought, though we made mistakes, that we fell on the moral side the majority of time. Just shows we have more work to do."
Very well said Chad...
To the OP my answer is this, you will be pleasantly surprised about BH even though you are military. Can't say anything about DG, I have no first hand experience.
To your follow up question, I myself took the path of more risk more reward. This has been an easy choice. I don't have strong family ties and I'm single w/o dependents. Being in a different situation I may have done things differently. This is also coming from a civilian perspective, not military and I know there is a big difference.
Best of luck...