disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
NuncFluens
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:25 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by NuncFluens »

It's only been 2 weeks since I've been "cured", but it all seems to come down to tight hip flexors. I started with "glidewalking", which stretches the psoas with every step, but have since found that static stretching of the hip flexors (standing, not lunging) works just as well. I'd also like to see your stretching routine if it's not too much trouble. I'm very happy with what I got right now, but comparing notes wouldn't hurt, I guess.

Other than stretching, I'm trying a more longevity-focused strength-building programm to try and bulletproof my knees, but it's only been a week so I can't say much. It focuses a lot on the little muscles, though, which intuitively seems like a good approach, at least.

ertyu
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:31 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by ertyu »

I read that tight hip flexors are in turn due to weak back and glutes - apparently they get overly tight because they overcompensate for the work other muscles aren't doing. Am not a doctor and all the usual disclaimers, just a thing you might be interested in looking into.

NuncFluens
Posts: 189
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:25 am
Location: Bavaria, Germany

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by NuncFluens »

ertyu wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:01 am
I read that tight hip flexors are in turn due to weak back and glutes - apparently they get overly tight because they overcompensate for the work other muscles aren't doing. Am not a doctor and all the usual disclaimers, just a thing you might be interested in looking into.
I've found that "weak" in that context often just means "inactive". I had a very strong back and glutes whenever I did a deadlift, but once I left the gym they just turned off. So from my own (very anecdotal) experience I'd say the hip flexors got tight because the "counterbalance" of the other muscles pulling the system into an equlibrium just wasn't there. Which ties back into your point on overcompensation of course, so maybe I'm not being all that insightful right now :p

(Edit: Oh, and apparently I'm taking over this journal. Sorry, feel free to kick me out, lol.)

disk_poet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by disk_poet »

@NuncFluens: No worries re journal. This is something that interests me since being outside and active is part of why I find ERE attractive. As I am getting older I am realizing that a big part of being able to enjoy it is staying healthy.

I've also read that a lot about treating the body as a system where you need to keep things balanced so that muscles are not overcompensating or doing work they are not supposed to do letting other parts get tight or deteriorate.

I will look into glidewalking and try it out.

disk_poet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by disk_poet »

Review February 2021

February had me thinking more about ERE and lifestyle design. I want to watch Jacob’s Stoa presentation. One thing I realized that I’ve been basically doing FIRE with some ERE influences. Focusing on savings rate allowed me to "game" the system by working more. This is in opposition of my semi-ERE goal. I will focus more on simplification and reduction gloing forward. I re-ordered my spreadsheets to reflect this and put the expenses chart at the front and put net worth at the back. Hopefully changing the metrics will help me keep my focus. I think focusing on Wheaton levels is really the way forward. I really like @AxelHeyst’s thinking along the lines of the Howli.

I am also thinking more and more about cabin-life. I think it appeals to me because it can be cheap and one has more flexibility in terms of location if one is more "off the grid". Also being in nature is very important to me. I am therefore looking at my house and lifestyle in terms of which parts are dependent on electricity and water. I started looking at items in terms of capabilities they provide me with. For example my laptop allows me to do things I can not do without it (like accessing these forums) whereas my washing machine and electric water-kettle are merely a timesaver. There are some nuances here but I think identifying items that don’t add capabilities and thinking about replacing them or living without them is a good first step.

Dating is still fun. I am however realizing with friends and also the woman I am dating (and myself!) that it is easy to find the theory of ERE interesting but when it’s getting to "giving things up" (challenging status quo) it get’s really hard. I am worried of becoming even more of an outsider even though it is a role I seem to actively be seeking out. Esp. with my social circle buying houses and settling in I feel more and more like an outsider. It’s good that this forum exists.

I think my focus for March will be in the area of ERE-Skills. That is what I am missing most atm.

Goals

Completed
  • Get rid of NAS (Reduction)
  • Empty 1 shelf of board games (Reduction) - I actually emptied more than 1 shelf
  • Get back to normal Income (Financials)
  • Take some time to brainstorm ideas and adjust ERE plan (Enjoyment)
Progress
  • Read 4 books (ERE Skills) - I read 2 books. Currently reading Walden since it popped up in my library app. I am quite liking it.
Facepalm
  • Keep up running pace (150km per month) (Health) - I have some health issues so no running for 2 weeks
Financials
  • Savings rate: 43% - A bit better than expected. Mainly again due to more income than expected.
  • I’ve realized that my expenses are effectively the same and didn’t change a lot since I started ERE. Sep. - Nov last year are still my best months.
  • NW is slowly creeping up but I decided to focus less on NW
  • Work is back to normal of last year. It’s even a bit too stressful.
Reduction
  • I emptied a big storage chest. This is another 2% reduction in storage space. Starting from August 2020 I am down by 37%. I already have an item in my sight for this month that will put me at 39% total reduction.
  • I also got rid of a small network switch that was using power 24/7
Health
  • Running: 75 KM
  • Cycling: 10 KM
  • Running and cycling came to a halt when I started developing some health issues that are still on-going
  • I’m feeling a bit frustrated because the health issues I am having are preventing me from being active, which is one of my coping skills.
ERE Skills
  • Apart from thinking a lot about ERE not much happened. I am dragging my feet too much.
Enjoyment
  • Dating is still fun, although there are some challenges
  • Health issues prevented me from doing my usual stuff which left me kind of depressed for 2 weeks
Goals for February 2020
  • Get rid of drawer incl. items (Reduction)
  • Build a bookshelf (ERE Skills)
  • Don’t use washing machine (ERE Skills)
  • Get running pace back up (150km per month) (Health)
  • Go on 2 more planned out dates (Enjoyment)
  • Get cheaper internet, use less energy/water (Financials)
Last edited by disk_poet on Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

AxelHeyst
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm
Location: The Mountains, USA

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by AxelHeyst »

disk_poet wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:22 am
.....along the lines of the Howli.
Yesssss..... my first siting of the use of "howlie" in the wild. I can die happy. I've made my mark. Mic drop, I'm out.
disk_poet wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:22 am
I am however realizing with friends and also the woman I am dating (and myself!) that it is easy to find the theory of ERE interesting but when it’s getting to "giving things up" (challenging status quo) it get’s really hard. I am worried of becoming even more of an outsider even though it is a role I seem to actively be seeking out. Esp. with my social circle buying houses and settling in I feel more and more like an outsider. It’s good that this forum exists.
Totally agreed. Two thoughts come to mind:

1) Sometimes, 100% is easier than 85%. For example, I decided that I'm not drinking any alcohol whatsoever until my birthday (my last drink was Dec 31). My roommate is trying to "cut back a bit". When offered a beer by a neighbor, my decision is very easy, because I already made the decision, once, in December, and all I'm doing is repeating my script "Oh, thanks, but I'm doing this thing blah blah". My roommate has no such excuse: sometimes he takes the beer, sometimes no. He has to make the decision every time. Sometimes he accepts, and wishes he didn't. Sometimes he refuses, and wishes he accepted. My tee-totaling is easier than his moderate drinking.

2) Doing a short-duration "experiment" or "challenge" can also be an easy "hack" for behavior change. It's much easier to commit to not buying any video games (or whatever) *in March* than it is to commit to not buying video games *ever*. But, almost certainly, if you go a whole month without buying video games, you'll fill in the "video game buying" hole in your life with other stuff. Then in April, when you are "allowed" to buy video games, you might not want to as much. So you've tricked yourself in to a permanent behavior change of some sort. This is also the power of the "no buy month/year", which I'm starting to realize why jacob recommends it so much. I just did a no-buy February (kind of) and I could *feel* my brain changing.

The feeling of social isolation is just hard, though, I think there's no getting around it. I'm feeling that powerfully right now as well.

ertyu
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:31 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by ertyu »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 am


1) Sometimes, 100% is easier than 85%. For example, I decided that I'm not drinking any alcohol whatsoever until my birthday (my last drink was Dec 31). My roommate is trying to "cut back a bit". When offered a beer by a neighbor, my decision is very easy, because I already made the decision, once, in December, and all I'm doing is repeating my script "Oh, thanks, but I'm doing this thing blah blah". My roommate has no such excuse: sometimes he takes the beer, sometimes no. He has to make the decision every time. Sometimes he accepts, and wishes he didn't. Sometimes he refuses, and wishes he accepted. My tee-totaling is easier than his moderate drinking.
Seconding this. Cold turkey has always worked better for me than "trying to cut back;" trying to cut back requires constant internal effort and resistance. Whereas cold turkey means white-knuckling it for a time but ultimately being free. It doesn't matter whether i'm resisting the cravings to have cup of coffee number three or cul of coffee number 5: I am still constantly stuck in the state of resisting an urge, and resisting an urge sucks absolute, utter balls. "Trying to cut back" and "moderation" just prolong my misery.

AxelHeyst
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm
Location: The Mountains, USA

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by AxelHeyst »

It doesn't seem to work for all personality types. My GF tends to rebound hard if she goes through a "constraint experiment", being obsessed and miserable with the object of renunciation through the time period, then consuming 2x the amount once the time is up. She needs to use other techniques. Self-knowledge is key.

disk_poet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by disk_poet »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 am
Yesssss..... my first siting of the use of "howlie" in the wild. I can die happy. I've made my mark. Mic drop, I'm out.
:lol: Glad to be of service.
AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 am
1) Sometimes, 100% is easier than 85%. For example, I decided that I'm not drinking any alcohol whatsoever until my birthday (my last drink was Dec 31). My roommate is trying to "cut back a bit". When offered a beer by a neighbor, my decision is very easy, because I already made the decision, once, in December, and all I'm doing is repeating my script "Oh, thanks, but I'm doing this thing blah blah". My roommate has no such excuse: sometimes he takes the beer, sometimes no. He has to make the decision every time. Sometimes he accepts, and wishes he didn't. Sometimes he refuses, and wishes he accepted. My tee-totaling is easier than his moderate drinking.
That is a very good point. I think I am quite good in pushing through over the long run BUT it leads to a lot of unnecessary turmoil and agonizing. I think esp. combined with the experiment (which is also a technique I like to use) that could be really helpful. I think for me the tendency is to avoid "extremes" because it makes me nervous. But framing it like an experiment makes it palatable.
AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 10:30 am
The feeling of social isolation is just hard, though, I think there's no getting around it. I'm feeling that powerfully right now as well.
I see that as one of my biggest challenges in ERE. I think I am generally quite individualistic but COVID and lockdown makes me doubt I am cut out for it. Of course I still have to try. What do you find is challenge for you at the moment? Reading for your Journal it seems like you are already quite remote but have a good support network. No pressure for sharing of course but I am interested since I feel like your shelter concept is something I can see myself working towards in some form or another. I'm wondering if it's systemic or personality (probably a combination)

disk_poet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by disk_poet »

ertyu wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:30 am
Seconding this. Cold turkey has always worked better for me than "trying to cut back;" trying to cut back requires constant internal effort and resistance. Whereas cold turkey means white-knuckling it for a time but ultimately being free. It doesn't matter whether i'm resisting the cravings to have cup of coffee number three or cul of coffee number 5: I am still constantly stuck in the state of resisting an urge, and resisting an urge sucks absolute, utter balls. "Trying to cut back" and "moderation" just prolong my misery.
Thanks for the push. I think I need to embrace this thinking more instead of half-assing these things. I think I am often too timid. Careful is ok but I think I am too risk-averse. Going more all-in could help me with that.

AxelHeyst
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm
Location: The Mountains, USA

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by AxelHeyst »

Well, I live in a tiny metal box with no windows. If one were to be uncharitable, one would say I was mooching off my friend by parking my rig(s) on this property. I don't own any land. When my girlfriend wants to pee inside (because it's freezing rain out, say), she pees in to a Big Gulp she found that works better than a SheWee and just sets it next to the pantry until the next person goes out. If it's rained or snowed in the past week, its super muddy everywhere. I have to fill up my fresh water tank by lugging a 5gallon jug through the mud. My greywater tank is only 5 gallons, and if I'm not johnny on the spot with it, greywater overflows on to my floor. We can't roast chickens or make bread because I don't have an oven in here. I'm always on the lookout for mold in cold weather (I found a little bit just the other day).

I'm building out a slightly larger metal box, which currently looks like of like the inside of one of Osama Bin Laden's cave hideouts because none of the finish work is done inside yet. It's full of our junk, which my colleagues can see stacked behind me when I'm on a Teams meeting, and it's all kind of in our way all the time. Our entire situation here is illegal - theoretically, code enforcement could show up any day and say "um, get out". My toes hurt because my feet are cold all the time and apparently I'm susceptible to chilblains (the "screaming barfies"). I do "the laundry" in a pot when I take a shower (which is outside, and lovely, but sometimes I'm standing on a foot of snow while showering).

Basically, it kind of feels like I've got one foot on the lowest rung of the middle class and the other foot on a banana peel, even though if I really, really wanted to I could buy a new Tesla with cash next week, or a house in, idk, the Dakotas or something.

Basically, my life is far from comfortable at the moment, and it's also not attractive. I intend for it to be attractive once I've got some of my nomadic shelter "capital" in place, but right now it's hard work and cold and muddy, and I haven't seen any of my friends in quite some time because of Covid and being super rural, and so I'm feeling sorry for myself and like maybe I'm the insane one. Whenever I go a long time without much social interaction, I start to worry I'm becoming unreasonable, losing touch.

Whenever you do something abnormal that takes time to create, craft, build, put in place, there's a necessary period of time where your life is just a total construction zone, literal or metaphoric. If I could snap my fingers and have all my little shelters built, with cute gardens and microgreens and outdoor pizza ovens that my friends come over to hang out at and bring stuff from their gardens and drink homebrew and collaborate on a meal, well, that'd be fantastic, and I wouldn't be going through this period of isolation and doubt. But that's not how doing weird shit works - you have to put in the time, and grind away while looking like a bit of a screwup, building something that no one else understands because they can't see the vision in your head. I have lots of little aphorisms here that help me out ("if it were easy, everyone would do it" and "The obstacles are there to keep out the people who don't want it bad enough", et cetera).

So... I think this is getting us to create a Point Number 3, which is if you're going to do something kinda nuts, it's best to do it fast and not drag it out. This is related to Jacob's sigmoid effort/result curve - he was talking about how it's best to front-load learning stuff so that you get to good returns on your time faster, but in the context of this discussion, it's best to go through the wacko/crazy person with nothing to show for it yet phase as quickly as possible so you can get through the self-doubt and isolation as quickly as possible, because the longer you spend in that frame of mind the more likely you are to quit.

disk_poet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by disk_poet »

Wow, thanks for the long reply. Sorry I missed the notification somehow and am now just seeing it.
AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:03 pm
Well, I live in a tiny metal box with no windows. If one were to be uncharitable, one would say I was mooching off my friend by parking my rig(s) on this property. I don't own any land. When my girlfriend wants to pee inside (because it's freezing rain out, say), she pees in to a Big Gulp she found that works better than a SheWee and just sets it next to the pantry until the next person goes out. If it's rained or snowed in the past week, its super muddy everywhere. I have to fill up my fresh water tank by lugging a 5gallon jug through the mud. My greywater tank is only 5 gallons, and if I'm not johnny on the spot with it, greywater overflows on to my floor. We can't roast chickens or make bread because I don't have an oven in here. I'm always on the lookout for mold in cold weather (I found a little bit just the other day).

I'm building out a slightly larger metal box, which currently looks like of like the inside of one of Osama Bin Laden's cave hideouts because none of the finish work is done inside yet. It's full of our junk, which my colleagues can see stacked behind me when I'm on a Teams meeting, and it's all kind of in our way all the time. Our entire situation here is illegal - theoretically, code enforcement could show up any day and say "um, get out". My toes hurt because my feet are cold all the time and apparently I'm susceptible to chilblains (the "screaming barfies"). I do "the laundry" in a pot when I take a shower (which is outside, and lovely, but sometimes I'm standing on a foot of snow while showering).

Basically, it kind of feels like I've got one foot on the lowest rung of the middle class and the other foot on a banana peel, even though if I really, really wanted to I could buy a new Tesla with cash next week, or a house in, idk, the Dakotas or something.

Basically, my life is far from comfortable at the moment, and it's also not attractive. I intend for it to be attractive once I've got some of my nomadic shelter "capital" in place, but right now it's hard work and cold and muddy, and I haven't seen any of my friends in quite some time because of Covid and being super rural, and so I'm feeling sorry for myself and like maybe I'm the insane one. Whenever I go a long time without much social interaction, I start to worry I'm becoming unreasonable, losing touch.

Whenever you do something abnormal that takes time to create, craft, build, put in place, there's a necessary period of time where your life is just a total construction zone, literal or metaphoric.
That sounds rough. Sorry to hear you've not been feeling great. It's good to see you pushing through. I am wondering if my life will ever NOT feel like a construction zone. I always feel like I am on to the next thing that I want to do. I've tried to turn it around and phrase it into something positive. I'm moving forward/changing/etc. which is something I actually value. I think for me personally it's more a mental thing whereas you're experiencing the physical side as well.
AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:03 pm
If I could snap my fingers and have all my little shelters built, with cute gardens and microgreens and outdoor pizza ovens that my friends come over to hang out at and bring stuff from their gardens and drink homebrew and collaborate on a meal, well, that'd be fantastic, and I wouldn't be going through this period of isolation and doubt. But that's not how doing weird shit works - you have to put in the time, and grind away while looking like a bit of a screwup, building something that no one else understands because they can't see the vision in your head. I have lots of little aphorisms here that help me out ("if it were easy, everyone would do it" and "The obstacles are there to keep out the people who don't want it bad enough", et cetera).
I think that's interesting because that is kind of what is antithetical to the whole ERE process for me (and I suspect you too). I could potentially just snap my fingers (IOW write a cheque) and have that little cabin somewhere rural with some garden, etc. but I think what is interesting to us is doing it another way. You seem to be in a similar boat. It's easy for me to forget that this thing is actually a process and not a goal and also something that will potentially just keep on going. Maybe remembering that helps.
AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Mar 05, 2021 5:03 pm
So... I think this is getting us to create a Point Number 3, which is if you're going to do something kinda nuts, it's best to do it fast and not drag it out. This is related to Jacob's sigmoid effort/result curve - he was talking about how it's best to front-load learning stuff so that you get to good returns on your time faster, but in the context of this discussion, it's best to go through the wacko/crazy person with nothing to show for it yet phase as quickly as possible so you can get through the self-doubt and isolation as quickly as possible, because the longer you spend in that frame of mind the more likely you are to quit.
That is a good point. I think my ability to suffer is sometimes a disadvantage here. I am able to slog through shit for a long time before finally quitting. This means I get there but it takes me a long time. It's not very efficient and I think I am leaving learning on the table.

disk_poet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by disk_poet »

I feel like I am slowly moving past the financials of ERE. While still managing finances it is pretty much on autopilot. I am also considering using funds for learning and experiments which I have been against before. It previously felt like a step backwards but I am hoping these kinds of thoughts are an indication that my thinking is slowly moving into a different direction.

I've also re-commited to using my cabin for some off-grid experiments. I think these will be paramount to making this whole thing work. The woman I am dating is in principal interested in cabin-life but it's not something she is actively pursuing at the moment since she just started a new job and has even less free time. I want to involve her but I will also have to move forward to a.) have something to show her and hopefully get her excited and b.) don't wait around.

I think the biggest two items for me to figure out are:

- Electricity: I have a simple solar panel with I think a Gel or AGM battery I got from the previous renter. I don't understand the setup so understanding what I have currently will be my first step. I then need to figure out what I need and upgrade the system to provide it. Ideally I'd want a real screen but I have no idea what that entails.

- Internet: To work I need decent internet. Unfortunately there is bad reception at the cabin. I need to figure out which provider has the best coverage and if/how I can improve reception.

- Workspace: I need a workspace that I can do meetings from that doesn't look like I am living on a junk yard (maybe I will just do voice).

If these issues would be resolved I could potentially spend extended time there. There would still be only a bucket as a toilet and a watering can as a shower but that can be improved while out there. Also there is no heating.

chenda
Posts: 1717
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:17 pm
Location: Nether Wallop

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by chenda »

disk_poet wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:03 am
Workspace: I need a workspace that I can do meetings from that doesn't look like I am living on a junk yard (maybe I will just do voice).
You could put up a background to make you look like you're in some swanky Berlin penthouse or something ;)

OOI can you access your cabin car free ?

ertyu
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2016 2:31 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by ertyu »

sounds challenging but also like it would be awesome if you pull it off. fingers crossed and keep us updated

disk_poet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by disk_poet »

chenda wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 10:05 am
You could put up a background to make you look like you're in some swanky Berlin penthouse or something ;)

OOI can you access your cabin car free ?
:lol: Great idea! Blend foreground and background.

I can actually access it car free. It's roughly 2 hours by bike from my city dwelling. Pretty nice. There is even a free cargo bike rental an hour walk or 20 min cycle from my cabin. Plus I rented a plot of land for growing purposes close by which has an automatic watering system.

AxelHeyst
Posts: 637
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2020 4:55 pm
Location: The Mountains, USA

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by AxelHeyst »

disk_poet wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:50 am
I think my ability to suffer is sometimes a disadvantage here. I am able to slog through shit for a long time before finally quitting.
Ha! I have the same thought, often. Most of the time I think it's a net benefit, but other times I just have to wonder about myself.

Cabin electricity: there's at least one solar nerd (ahem) on this forum who would love to give input on your solar kit, if that's welcome.
Cabin internet: I bought a cell booster years ago for Serenity, because she's a big faraday cage when the doors are closed. This one. Obviously it's kinda pricey, but if you only get one or two bars out there, a device like this can help.

disk_poet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by disk_poet »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:39 pm
Cabin electricity: there's at least one solar nerd (ahem) on this forum who would love to give input on your solar kit, if that's welcome.
Awesome. I will take you up on that. I am think I am still in the reading phase. Types of batteries, putting them in parallel or series, inverters, etc. It's all new for me and I need to build some rough understanding. Especially regarding safety since I don't want to burn down the forrest. I also got a kill-a-watt type device and started measuring power usage of stuff. It's kind of eye opening all the small electronic gadgets one uses without thinking about it (kettle, hoover, hair trimmer, blender, stuff like that). Right now I am working on an old desktop computer and it just uses power like crazy. Especially with two screens.. I feel like a fool that I haven't started this earlier. I think I need to do come up with energy usage per day and figure out what my current setup produces. I am thinking of using a two pronged pronged approach.

a.) Reduce amount of devices relying on electricty
b.) Reduce amount of running time / improve efficiency of existing devices for the same or different job

This will fit in nicely with my "no washing machine" month.
AxelHeyst wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:39 pm
Cabin internet: I bought a cell booster years ago for Serenity, because she's a big faraday cage when the doors are closed. This one. Obviously it's kinda pricey, but if you only get one or two bars out there, a device like this can help.
I think I might need to get something like that. First step will be to find out which provider has the best coverage in the area and then see which bands they use.

I've also thought about starlink but energy usage seems to be in the 100w range.

disk_poet
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2020 3:33 am

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by disk_poet »

Review March 2021

March was a busy month work wise and still a bit challenging on the health side but I also made some progress. Work has picked up quite a bit and clients came back in full swing. It’s a bit much at the moment but given I didn’t really have work in January I’m trying to stay calm and roll with it. I am sure things will calm down over the next 1-2 months. I’ve also thought more about the idea of doing teaching as a semi-ERE profession. It is relatively time-flexible and future proof. Plus I did some teaching in the past and quite enjoyed it. I also remember that I (as a student) always liked teachers who had a career before they went into teaching because they had a different perspective than most teachers at my school who basically never left the education system. I could be paying it forward in that regard, which feels good. Also learning is a big ERE goal for me so teaching fits in well.

I started measuring electricty usage of my work computer and optimizing standby a bit. I also decided to not use the washing machine in March. The latter was a pretty interesting experience. At times it stressed me out but when I planned for it, it wasn’t a big deal to wash by hand. It all came down to time pressure in the end. When I was stressed (mainly because of work) it felt like an additional thing to manage, when I was doing well it didn’t bother me. At the end of the month I was shocked because my water usage went down by 40% and my electricity usage by 20%. This still included multiple long hot showers and not really optimizing greywater or anything else. I’ve therefore decided to set a 50%/50%/50% goal for Q3 2021. I am already on track to reduce my belongings by 50%. I also want to reduce water and electricity usage by at least 50%. Since I seriously started pursuing ERE in Q3 2020 it feels like a nice 12 month milestone. I additionaly switched internet providers to a cheaper one which reduced those costs a bit. I am still in a month to month contract but can get 30% off by committing for 24 months. I’ll use the service for a while to see if I want to stay with them. This is all in line with trying to focus more on simplifying and reducing instead of money.

Another ERE win was furniture pickup using a free rented cargo bike. It was fun (I love bikes), excercise and got the job done.

On the personal level things are mixed. COVID is still stressful and things are getting worse. Also people in my area are not using their appointments so vaccine is piling up (esp. AstraZeneca because there were some deaths in the news). I therefore decided to actively try to get vaccinated instead of waiting and got a leftover shot beginning of the week. I’ll get my second shot in 12 weeks. Feels good. One less dose going to waste. This also means I might get to see my grandmother, who is very old and has health issues, in person soon. This would be nice because we had a pretty scary phone call the other day where she said goodbye over the phone. Thankfully it was a false alarm but it puts things in perspective. It also re-confirmed my commitment to ERE and reducing my impact on the environment. I really don’t want to look back and feel like I littered all over this world. Esp. without trying to do things differently. Dating is still fun and interesting. All the health and death related thoughts have me in a contemplative mood though and then I tend to be quite abstract in my expressions and also shut myself off a bit because it’s not a "fun" topic. That’s something I want to work on. Let people in on these thoughts more.

Health and excercise are still mixed. March was busy and I tend to let myself go a little when that happens. The goal for April will be to get back on track here. I can write Q1 off to health issues but I want to get back into it. Esp. now that the weather is getting nicer. I also want to visit the cabin this month a few times to set it up for a longer stay. Since I will be cycling there I feel like these goals will go well together.

Financially the month was pretty uninteresting. I hit my savings rate goal because I again made a bit more money than I expected. This is now the 3rd month in a row, so I am wondering if this is just the new normal. I won’t complain though. My expenses were 5% lower than last month. Not much but trending in the right direction. Lowering expenses is the area I want to focus on.

Goals

Completed
  • Don’t use washing machine (ERE Skills)
  • Get cheaper internet, use less energy/water (Financials)
Progress
  • Get rif of drawer incl. items (Reduction)
Facepalm
  • Build a bookshelf (ERE Skills)
  • Go on 2 more planned out dates (Enjoyment)
  • Get running pace back up (150km per month) (Health)
Financials
  • Savings rate: 43%
  • 5% Reduction in spending
Reduction
  • I sold a bunch of things on ebay but I am struggling to empty more storage space. It’s all pretty empty but consolidation proves difficult. I think it’s mainly because I want to leave stuff in the right room and not scatter kitchenware over the flat and vice versa.
Health
  • Running: 50 KM
  • Cycling: 25 KM
  • Health is still an issue but getting better
ERE Skills
  • March felt like progress. The energy and water reduction seemed like moving into the right direction.
  • Using the free cargo bike was a nice little ERE win
Enjoyment
  • March felt stressful but looking back it feels successful
  • I still want to be more in the moment
Goals for April 2020
  • Continue to not use washing machine (ERE Skills)
  • Build a bookshelf (ERE Skills)
  • Get running pace back up (150km per month) (Health)
  • Fix sink (ERE Skills)
  • Get the cabin useable (ERE Skills)
  • Further reduce electricity & watser usage (Reduction)

mooretrees
Posts: 458
Joined: Sun Jan 27, 2019 1:21 pm

Re: disk_poets road towards semi-ERE

Post by mooretrees »

Nice progress with water and electricity! What vaccine did you get, 12 weeks seems very long in between shots. I'm used to the Pfizer/Moderna vaccines and their timeframes are more like three/four weeks respectively.

Hope minimizing and health and all you projects keep progressing!

Post Reply