Western Red Cedar's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
Western Red Cedar

Re: Western Red Cedar's Journal

Post by Western Red Cedar »

@FC - No Aldi in my neck of the woods. I'm a bit jealous when I hear everyone talking about the great deals. I mostly use a large local grocery store within walking distance for produce. We have a discount store called grocery outlet that has good deals on certain staples.

@M2aS Thanks! I should clarify that in 9 months we'll be at a pretty lean FI as a household. DW definitely plans on working again later, and I may as well depending how I feel after some time off.

I always make an extra effort to see some of the older artists, because you don't know if it will be their last tour. Over the last 10-15 years I've seen Dylan three times, Neil Young twice, Paul Simon, Buddy Guy, Ramblin' Jack Elliot, the Wailers, Mark Knopfler, Eric Clapton, and JJ Cale. Some of those tickets were pretty expensive. Luckily the concert last weekend was only $15.

I've lived in a few places without a very good live music scene. I'm trying to make the most of where I live now, even if it bumps my spending a bit.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Hey WRC, cool to hear about your concert experiences. I’ve only ever been to one - any you would particularly recommend?

Dunkelheit

Post by Dunkelheit »

Happy EREBirthday!

I'm glad to read how your work, your physical and mental health (and DW's) are improving.

On the work part, having the optionality to pull the plug or taking a sabbatical are great news. Exercise, nature and music are magic for both mind and body.

I also take your advice on Permission to Feel, from introvert to introvert ;)

Enjoy those berries!

Western Red Cedar

@DH - Thanks man! You can check out @Biscuits & Gravy's journal for a good synopsis of Permission to Feel.

@RF - I think the cost-effective, ERE approach would be to focus on free, public shows. I personally always get the most out of concerts with artists that I really love. I tend to know their entire catalogue and have a lot of memories tied to particular songs.

My musical interests are pretty broad. I can enjoy a nice symphony or opera, but I tend to gravitate towards music that I like to play - folk, rock, and blues. I would just go to whatever interests you.

Married2aSwabian

Post by Married2aSwabian »

Wow, your concerts are many of favorite musicians - you have good musical taste. :)

I did get to see Clapton back in ‘88… and he had Mark Knopfler join him onstage for a set. That was amazing. Would be great to see the other shows you mentioned - especially Dylan. He’s getting up here and JJ Cale has left us. Knopfler also came to a small venue (cool old theater with like 800 seats) here in MI about four years ago. I didn’t go because the tickets were pretty pricey. Kind of wish I had, though!

Western Red Cedar

Foraging:

I foraged (scavenged?) a bunch of apples on a bike trip over the weekend. Trying to figure out ways to eat them all without ruining my diet. I went out on a couple trips to look for Chanterelles. I watched a video recorded by one of the local mycology groups and feel pretty comfortable identifying them.

No luck on either trip, but I noticed a very different nature experience while foraging. My focus was on the ground rather than the landscape, and as a result I was keyed into things like animal trails, tracks, scat, and beds. I tend to notice this while hiking and backpacking as well, but not at the level I observed over the weekend.

It reminded me a bit of my work surveying. The outdoor experience, and the way I observe my environment, significantly changes.

Even though I had no luck, I feel like I'm learning from my failures. One of the obvious things is that it probably helps a lot to be comfortable with a wide range of mushroom ID. I came across a variety of shrooms, but wasn't going to pick something I didn't feel comfortable identifying. Another thing, which I've known from my Morel hunts, is that it really helps to have a patch nearby (or a friend w/ good info) to let you know when the mushrooms are actually out.

Many nice views on the foraging expeditions though:

My parent's property:

Snacks on the summit:

WL Progression?

I've noticed a slight shift in my mindset in regards to restaurants and eating out. Even though we've gone out with friends quite a bit over the last 6 weeks, I've noticed that I don't have the same desire I once did. DW is a foodie and loves the experience eating out. When I initially talked about FIRE and cutting expenses, I asked which area she really didn't want to cut, and she said eating out. Before the pandemic, we'd usually go out weekly for a date night. Sometimes a couple times per week.

As an optimizer, I found happy hour quite appealing. DW liked it because we could order multiple dishes with shared plates. Lately, I really don't feel much pull to eat out because every meal we make at home seems as good or better than what we could get from a restaurant. I actually enjoy a multi-hour cooking project, and often reach a "flow" state in the kitchen. It is a great opportunity to listen to a podcast or watch something on YouTube while still feeling productive. A lot of the reason the food is turning out so tasty is that we are making most of the components of the meal from scratch. Sometimes it takes more than a day to make something, but that makes us appreciate it that much more.

This doesn't even get into the health or environmental aspects of eating out, which I've always been conscious of. It is just a small example of how these changes in mindset often take a while to germinate, even when I can grasp something intellectually.

Minimalism and Decluttering:

I've taken the first steps forward in the last week to declutter. My experience working from home over the last 18 months made me realize how little I truly use and need to be happy and productive.

I've been really hesitant to let go of things that are perfectly useful or functional, even if I don't use them often. Last week I took my first step by collecting excess kitchen towels, bath towels, and dishes and "donating" them to my parent's cabin. After that I went through my wardrobe and collected a bunch of pants and button down shirts to donate. We have a local non-profit that provides dress clothes to refugees for interviews or office attire. I also collected some expensive outdoor jackets and other items which DW and I will sell on Ebay or Craigslist.

This talk from Rob Greenfield helped me recognize that some of my stuff will end up in a landfill, and that is okay:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgcFxfL3MOc

I already don't buy stuff unless I really need it (or if it is a moment of weakness). After going through the process of parting with all of this stuff, it is simply reinforcing the notion of burden that comes with ownership. I suspect I'll only become more judicious about bringing new possessions into our house.

-----

@M2aS - I think it is definitely worth getting to shows a little more often than once a decade. The ones I listed are just some of the big name/classic musicians. I definitely see a lot of indie or less popular acts in a variety of genres. It used to be a lot of punk in my 20's, but has shifted more towards hip hop, rock/blues, bluegrass and folk over the last 10 years.

Jiimmy

Post by Jiimmy »

Had a chance to listen to the Greenfield talk today. I liked that a lot. I find myself agreeing with a lot of his ideas. Thanks for the link.

Western Red Cedar

@Jiimmy - I'm glad you liked it. I really enjoy Greenfield's content. I've found his long-form podcast conversations or videos even more enjoyable as he goes into depth on a lot of his ideas and background. He has a unique ability to communicate effectively and without judgment on environmental issues.

Western Red Cedar

"Life was not intended to be simply a round of work, no matter how interesting and important that work may be. A moment's pause to watch the glory of a sunrise or a sunset is soul-satisfying, while a bird's song will set the steps to music all day."

-Laura Ingalls Wilder

take2

Post by take2 »

Beautiful

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I am indirectly becoming a master at leaf shapes for doing landscapes. It looks like you have some bamboo and some sort of Fabaceae (legume) in the foreground. :). Nice fore, middle, background composition. SE Asia based on fishing boat shape?

Western Red Cedar

The photo is from Don Det and the 4000 Islands in southern Laos - looking out towards the Mekong River.

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

What were the sounds and smells?

Western Red Cedar

@mf - good question. It made me realize that trip was now almost fourteen years ago, which was kind of a crazy realization. I went through some of my other photos to trigger some memories. It was kind of a quintessential SE Asia location for shoestring backpackers. My friend and I paid $3 each for a bungalow overlooking the river with a shady porch and hammocks. We spent days cycling around the island(s) and rode past people farming with water buffalos, swam in the Mekong, and hung out with monks at a monastery. It was the perfect respite from some long bus rides and harder travel in Cambodia.

The sound I remember most vividly while there was the piercing squeal of a small pig. There were children chasing it and trying to capture it, and their dad ultimately slaughtered it, then grilled the entire thing over a wood fire. The squeal must have lasted more than five minutes though. We partook in the feast with some rice that was likely grown less than a mile away.

I remember the sounds of livestock, particularly chickens. I remember the wind on the trees, the waves on the river, and the hum of small motors on various wooden boats. I remember the smell of livestock as I biked around the island, but it was a clean smell. I remember the smell of small fires. Many locals cooked over small fires. Some had propane and electricity, but many did not.

I remember lots of laughter, from children and elderly people that just seemed to be running around or milling about and enjoying life.

Western Red Cedar

September update:

Financial:

NW 416,724 (-11,098)

What goes up must come down. It was interesting observing my reaction to the market pullback this month. Last Spring I barely flinched, but I found myself reacting more strongly multiple days this month. I think I had been preparing myself for a recession for at least a couple years, so when the markets declined last year it didn't really phase me. There was also a lot of other stuff going on, so it was easier to put it all in the back of my mind and focus on work and daily life. Now that I'm getting closer to our target number (for SemiERE at least) it didn't feel great seeing the pullback.

This was the first month with our rent increase. Almost 50% of our monthly expenses are coming from rent now. I'm looking forward to dropping that significantly at some point in the near future after I'm not tied to a job.

I'm still carrying all of the household expenses so our savings rate is down, but we are still making progress. Poco a poco.

Professional:

Things have been up and down at work. From the outside looking in I'm a competent, high-performer managing multiple complicated projects. No complaints from clients or supervisors. I know I've been struggling with procrastination and motivation issues though. The lack of support and the demands have been wearing on me. I finally got a digital copy of Ryan Holliday's The Obstacle is the Way a few days ago, and it gave me the kick in the ass that I needed. Since picking it up, I've had multiple highly productive days this week. I'm also trying to apply some lessons from Cal Newport's Deep Work. My monkey/lizard brain can't stay away from the distractions offered by the internet. It is a bit sad, but I need to put my Ipad and phone in another room to stay away from distractions.

I've been noticing the physical effects of stress more lately. I went to the dentist earlier this month for a checkup. I mentioned one of my teeth was sore, she said there weren't any issues based on the x-rays, but asked if I was clenching or grinding my teeth at night. I immediately realized she was right, and that I'm also clenching my jaw during the day. I have a night guard, and I'm working on keeping my body loose. I've also noticed this week some acid reflux. DW recently learned about completing a stress cycle, and laughter or physical exercise is one of the best avenues for that. This made sense to me as physical activity is really effective for de-stressing. Yesterday I finished a 20 mile bike ride on a long lunch break, after some pretty stressful meetings. I felt much better, but noticed that I had some chest pain (acid reflux) immediately when I sat back down at my computer. I know this is my body telling me something needs to change. I am planning on taking a vacation, an actual full week off where we get out of town, by the end of the month. I briefly considered doing a short, multi-night bike trip this week but it didn't make sense with the weather forecast.

Physical:

I've been really consistent with my workouts. Six to Seven days per week. I've even been doubling up a few days a week with a bike ride on my lunch break and weights in the evening. I haven't dropped much weight yet, which is honestly a bit annoying, but I know I can't focus too much on the number on the scale. My pants are looser and I have much clearer definition in my arms, chest, back and shoulders. I've been lifting consistently for three months now, and in the past this is the point where I really started dropping weight.

My main focus is general health, building healthier habits, and developing a nutrition and exercise routine that I can maintain. While I was on my bike ride this afternoon, I realized the increased stress/cortisol I've experienced may be affecting my weight. Of course, the social beers and processed food that occasionally creep in don't help either. I'll just keep focused on one step at a time. I've been proud of myself for hitting the gym or exercising outside for an hour almost every day - even when I really don't feel like it. Poco a poco.

I'm also starting to experiment with longer fasting periods. Fasting seems highly compatible with ERE.

Social:

DW's childhood friend came into town last week for a wedding. It' is really nice hanging out with some of her old friends because our social circle leans heavily towards my group of friends (and their wives). We had a long, 2.5 hour dinner on a patio with some great conversation. Of course, we went early for happy hour and they were really surprised with the check. It wasn't cheap by ERE standards, but I enjoy not needing to worry about these kind of social situations that regularly pop up. I don't like to go out often, but when I do I want to be generous to the server and staff.

Married2aSwabian

Post by Married2aSwabian »

Yeah, I can relate to the bit of angst as retirement is getting close as markets decline somewhat. The 55/ 45 allocation that we have with Vanguard doesn’t provide the balance it once did due to interest rates being at zero. Equities AND bonds go down in unison frequently now.
I find that I am enjoying the occasional dinner out less and less. Like so many things, the post-lockdown experience just isn’t what it once was.
What is your fasting schedule?

Western Red Cedar

@M2aS - I think I was getting a bit spoiled with the lack of volatility for a couple of years and the constant march upwards of the market. I usually keep at least 2 years of household expenses (currently at 3+ yrs) in cash so I don't really have much to worry about.
Married2aSwabian wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 8:36 am
What is your fasting schedule?
I try to stick with a 16:8 fasting schedule when I'm focused on cutting weight. I usually eat somewhere between 11 am and 7 pm. I'm not particularly strict about it though. I like to lift weights, go on a bike ride, or take a walk on my lunch break around noon. Once I'm dialed in, I can usually exercise while fasting. If I'm really hungry or feel like I need some fuel for a workout, I'll eat a little before noon.

I'm interested in introducing longer fasting periods into my routine. Maybe once a quarter or every couple months. Probably start with 24 hours but I might experiment to try and get to 48 hours. I hit 21 hours last month, which included a 20 mile bike ride. It was unplanned, but I just decided to keep riding after a stressful morning at work and felt good. I realized about halfway through the ride that I hadn't eaten since 5:30 pm the previous night.

Fasting works well with my current system in that it helps with my health goals, while keeping my grocery bills down and makes life a little simpler.

Western Red Cedar

I had a really productive week at work. I've been reading Ryan Holiday's The Obstacle is the Way over the last couple weeks and I ended up slowing my pace so I could read a chapter or two each morning and get inspired to hit the workday hard. I finished a long-term project and have been successful implementing the Deep Work techniques. Focusing on a single task at hand, slowly checking things off my to-do list, and not getting drawn into other peoples projects or drama has been really helpful. Also, simply setting up a clean comfortable workspace without my personal phone or tablet nearby is helpful to keep me focused. DW and I will take a vacation the last week of October so that offers a little external motivation to work efficiently and make sure things are in a good place when I return.

Getting out for bike rides of lifting weights midday is also a helpful way to break things up and create 2-3 creative blocks for focused work.

DW and I went out for a 5 mile hike, which is one of my favorites, and she spotted a large moose just off the trail. We were initially pretty close and had to back off. We just hung out and observed him, giving him plenty of space. I've not seen a moose in this area before, and it was a nice treat to start the hike. A beautiful day with some nice fall colors to accent the landscape. We watched flocks of Canadian Geese flying back and forth across the river, and spent a good 30-45 minutes exploring one of the canyons.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Beautiful hike. :)

mountainFrugal

Post by mountainFrugal »

I imagine the second image of the moose with a thought bubble in a deep, but unamused voice... "O... it is just the bipedal apes wrapped in plastic again...boring...these reeds look delicious!" (although I think their vision is not very sharp, only for movement). Really cool mixed vegetation area!