ERE Adventuring

Where are you and where are you going?
Alphaville

Re: ERE Adventuring

Post by Alphaville »

it's a piece of shit book for corporate indoctrination of business drones, but basically you can flip the tortilla to realize heraclitean strategies for personal survival 😜

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

Meh, my library doesn't have it and can't order it (says their online portal) so I might not get the full experience just yet. I did however find this gem on the Wikipedia page: "The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Can Enjoy New Cheese", which sounds exactly like the bullshit corporate marketing my fiance had to endure :lol:

I might have to sleep on spending 4€ for the cheapest hard copy on amazon...

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

no, dont buy it, the shame will follow you eternally :lol:

look, it is just an allegory to present a heraclitean view of the world. i.e., change is constant, and it's pointless to wish otherwise.

rather than argue from reason they show you a corny cast of characters with stereotypical characteristics meant to embody cognitive faculties and personal attitudes. the "message" is to combine instinct plus reason in the pursuit of opportunity when things turn bad at your current position.

of course corporate trainers use that crap to sell you a bill of goods or to encourage personal initiative among the troops maybe, but you can subvert it for your own personal advantage rather than theirs. i guess i like to subvert horrid things for my own personal advantage :D

while i have always been a situationist of sorts, i've found the little shitty book useful to illustrate a reality that is always in flux for people who aren't naturally of the same persuasion, and who crave stability and fear necessary change.

the fact that it's allegorical makes it easier to grasp and recall than logical arguments. plus the imagery serves as a shorthand for communication with others. just like we educate children about preparation with the three little pigs or warn them about sex predators with the little red riding hood lololol. only those stories were better written than this shit.

some people are attached to notions of stability and are unwilling to realize that change is ever-present, and resist it, and protest. this story just helps to anchor ideas of operating in a changing environment with some super-corny imagery which is, nevertheless, and in spite of it, useful.

-

eta: business books tend to be horrendous like that. another useful one, the e-myth, is also a fountain of good ideas coated in the same sort of disgusting saccharine allegories that make the discerning reader wanna vomit :lol:

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

Alphaville wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:27 am
while i have always been a situationist of sorts, i've found the little shitty book useful to illustrate a reality that is always in flux for people who aren't naturally of the same persuasion, and who crave stability.
(...)
some people are attached to notions of stability and are unwilling to realize that change is ever-present, and resist it, and protest. this story just helps to anchor those notions with some super-corny imagery which is, nevertheless, and in spite of it, useful.
Unfortunately, that right there is exactly me. I'm working hard on embracing change but it's not coming naturally, at all. To be fair, the cheese quote from my post earlier kinda rings true, if we ignore for a moment that it's used to push a corporate be-happy-with-what-we-give-you aghenda. But letting go of the past actually is the part that keeps me from exploring the upsides of change :/
Alphaville wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:27 am
the fact that it's allegorical makes it easier to grasp and recall than logical arguments. plus the imagery serves as a shorthand for communication with others. just like we educate children about preparation with the three little piggies or warn them about sex predators with the little red riding hood lololol. only those stories were better written than this shit.
I mean... I get that we do this with children, but the intended audience seems to be adults? Maybe I'm the weird one here, but I find myself skipping the "stories" and going straight to the bullet points/tables/algorithmic definitions with whatever book I read. Figuring out what the mice represent etc. just seems like a lot of work :p

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

yeah you're more logical so you don't need the dumb fairytale. but the fairytale approach is more universal, which is why it's been used since the dawn of humanity to educate the masses.

you need to sell those bullet points to your fiancée though. if she's not ready to live in the everyday by constantly deducing things logically from axioms, you might have to add the hungry rats and the stupid little people as a mnemonic/communication device though.

eta:

lmfao. but it... works :? 🤮

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

Thank you for the nightmares :lol:

I actually think my fiance is worlds ahead of me in that regard. She could have come up with those bullet points herself (and a better book, too). So it's not like I'm worrying about her ability to embrace change. It's more that right now it looks like that change won't happen, at least not quickly enough.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

oh if she's already looking then she's miles ahead, yeah.

basically the idea of the book is to be constantly scanning the environment for changes and searching for opportunities, like the two animals. they don't think, they sense/act. i like this instictual approach.

the humans add reason/analysis and their own personal attitudes, habits, expectations, etc. the main idea is to let go of the expectation that things will always be the same and to adapt instead of complaining when things change. there are a lot of little examples of this human behavior in the silly book, which could have used a dialogue doctor like they do in the movies.

but anyway i can see not wanting to go elsewhere if you have a good situation, or better yet, an improving one, yeah... that would make no sense. but it takes two people to make a couple work so that's a territory i'm not qualified to evaluate.

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

I guess we'll just have to see how the situation develops and go from there. I'm still hoping the wanting-to-move is in big part a coping mechanism. It's like you say though, it takes two people to make a couple and I'm very aware that I might have to give in if things go further down the drain :/

The current object of my fiance's obsession is an appartment in the neighbouring village btw. It's valued at 230k€ but will be auctioned off in late April. Depending on whether this blows over I might have a decision to make here. On the one hand I'd be excited to see my fiance invest some 100k€ as that's the most FIRE thing she'll ever do (and probably the only FIRE thing she'll ever do). On the other hand I'd have to work out a mostly-home-office arrangement at work as the way to my current workplace is way too long (1h in one direction) for walking there every day. Which is when this whole Corona thing might just work for me for once :p

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

hah. well, as long as you support each other achieving your goals, you'll make it work. win/win and all that.

my wife and i are considering moving in the next few years so we can't marry real estate right now, but dreaming is nice, and we are looking at neighborhoods anyway, in case we end up staying.

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

I was hoping to be able to cram everything that happened the last few days into my monthly post. But it seems like that would make it huuuuuge, so I'll get this out of the way at least, to keep the monthly review more focused:

Musicianship - Story Time
I was a bit bored over the last few weeks, as work got less stressful. At first I tried chess for a few days, but it quickly felt like playing the same game over and over again. I guess I'm not a big fan of easy-to-learn hard-to-master endeavors like that.

At the same time I got into the band Bring Me The Horizon and decided to pick up my trusty guitar once more. I was absolutely unable to play even the first riff of one of their songs, so I decided to go into a frenzy and learned the mechanics of it in about 2 hours. I repeated that over the next few days for all the other riffs, and as I got better I decided to announce my first "living room concert" (playing my fiance 2 songs) to keep me accountable.

With this new and scary goal I doubled down and practiced 2-3 hours a day for the last 10 days, which after learning the songs, mostly consists of playing different versions (album, single, live+orchestra) of the same 2 songs over and over again. On the one hand it's somehow emotionally draining to put so much energy into a far-off low-stakes performance. On the other hand I've never been as good at guitar as I am as a result of this weird obsession, so I might just keep going after the first "concert".

Musicianship - Gear Talk
Naturally I noticed quite early that I can't put on a performance with my headphone amp, so I decided that I needed new gear. After hours of research I decided on 5 pedals and a new amp head (totalling ~500€) that I needed to put on a passable performance. Knowing how I tend to fall in and out of love with the guitar at times, I decided to sleep on it for a while.

Luckily, the next day I stumbled upon a video tutorial for using free amp simulations in the home studio. So I did the sensible thing, dug out my old audio interface and set up a digital audio workstation on my laptop over the course of a whole day. And let me tell you, linux suuuuuuucks hard for music production. It sucks so hard in fact, that I dug out my windows laptop and repeated the process in about an hour with none of the problems I had before. So I might have just saved ~500€ (minus software, should I buy it after the trial period) by going fully digital.

I'll probably still have a lot to learn if I ever want a professional sound out of my laptop, but it works for living room performances, at least. Depending on how that goes I might have found a time-sink for the next few months, though.

NuncFluens

Monthly Review: March 2021

Post by NuncFluens »

Finances
March wasn't anything special as far as finances go. With all the other stuff happening, however, I'm still glad that I could keep my spending and savings about the same. SR was at 72% and my 6 month average of overall spending is still going down.

Not much to say here. Pretty normal and uneventful. I'll probably do a quarterly review detailing my investment decisions sometime next week, though.

Adventuring & Mycology
Adventuring and mushroom hunting are on hold since the beginning of the month when my knee found new ways to torture me. I might have overdone it somehow, but didn't have the energy to keep at it due to other things happening in my life.

With the improving weather I hope to get out some more, so we'll see how this develops.

Work
My work situation improved markedly, as a few projects matured enough to actually require my shiny new tech. So work has shifted from bullshit-busy-jobs to meaningful development overnight. The pressure dial went up to medium which is great for keeping me accountable while still leaving room for occassionally helping out coworkers. Overall it's fun for the first time in a long time, as I did meaningful stuff and managed to improve my skills some more.

Musicianship
As I mentioned a few days ago I started playing the guitar quite seriously again. I'm now well prepared to perform some (for me) quite hard songs in front of an audience. My first victims will be my parents tonight, in preparation for playing for my fiance on monday. I've never been so well prepared to play music in front of anyone. This is exciting.

On the gear front, I managed to improve upon my ad hoc digital setup some more. My windows machine is now running the Reaper DAW with some metal-oriented VST amp simulation plugins. I'm still at the beginning of this whole digital gear journey, but I'm already enjoying the absolutely best sound I ever had, without paying for anything yet.

Other than that I reactivated my old Epiphone Firebird guitar. I somehow had it in my head that I messed up the soldering of the new pickups, but it now looks like I only need to install an extra long stereo jack, so the cables don't touch anymore and everything will be fine. A few replacement tuners might be in order too, but those are only 50€ and I'd have a fully functional second guitar for alternate tunings (like E Standard, lol).

Going forward I'm planning on making this one of my main hobbies, so expect to be bored to tears with musings on musical theory, gear talk and babbling about how good I'm becoming :p

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

nice to see you're making music.

i have a huge soft spot for the classics :D

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

Oof, that's a bit too avant garde for me. I made it to 5:47 before deciding that I would probably like the original better, and now my eardrums are bleeding :( I guess I like a bit more structure to my music...

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

I've been going through a bit of a rough patch due to my fiance's work situation, so I didn't write much. I might also be falling out of love with typing my every thought into this diary, so maybe I'll not be writing a lot in the future either. I'll definitely do a monthly update to keep me accountable, though.

Fiance's work situation wrap up (hopefully)
The fiance had her talk with the bosses (including a new owner) and has been granted her request for fewer working hours. She went from working 24h to 20h while keeping her salary the same. Due to more favorable taxation this might even be a pay-raise of ~5€ per month :D

It also looks like the new owners of her corporation are finally trying to turn things around. There will be interviews with all the other workers over the next few weeks and apparently the salaries will be adjusted upward to match the greater company standards. All other processes will apparently also be adjusted to make the workload managable again.

So everything seems to be getting better, even though my fiance is understandably suspicious, since she's heard that for over a year now. She also has a little bit of winner's/survivor's guilt now, as she's the only one whose situation has been improved at this time. So our home has turned into a coaching center for her remaining coworkers/friends, who are still hanging on by a thread. Overall the worst seems to be behind us though, so I hope that things will be looking up from here on out.

My work
Work continues to be quite enjoyable, actually. I think I really turned things around by focusing on getting the bullshit jobs done first, so they don't sap my energy for the whole week. As it is now, I'm actually quite happy with whatever real work I can get done.

Adventuring/Mycology
As far as my other interests are concerned, nothing much happened. I've been depressed by the whole situation above and the recent return to wintery temperatures (and snowfall) kept me inside for the most part. I hope to pick up my hiking habits again and have planned a longer walk for the weekend, at least.

Musicianship
This also took a hit when things turned sour for my fiance. I did however notice that I kept improving my playing even when I cut down practice time significantly. I'm not sure if those are "lagging gains" from "having slept on it" or if my practice regimen has just been plain inefficient before. Could it be that playing the same 3 songs over and over again only offers diminishing returns? ;)

Aside from playing I also started analyzing the songs I learned from a music theory standpoint. I think what I'm doing is mostly "harmonic analysis", i.e. why do these chords go together, what's the chord progression here, etc. I did this once before a few year ago and learned a whole bunch of cool stuff, and this seems to repeat itself right now. Overall I'm gaining a much better understanding of why things work, but I fail to apply the insights to improve my own compositions at this time :/

Lastly, I did play a few songs in a "performance" setting in front of my parents and fiance and technique/theory is really not my problem right now. I get unbelievably nervous whenever someone is watching me play. I can kick out the song near perfectly 10 times in a row if people are playing on their phone, but the minute they expect something from me I get all shaky and mess up. Here's to hoping that this will improve with repeated exposure...

NuncFluens

Monthly Review: April 2021

Post by NuncFluens »

Finances
(Edit: I finished my monthly rollover, so I'll update this now (for the second time, since the computer ate my initial update :cry: ))
April was nothing special. I reached a 72% SR and my monthly spending average seems to slowly settle in at ~850€.
The breakdown:

First off, the "Fiance*" part: We have this thing where sometimes one pays more bills than the other, so we constantly owe each other money somehow. This makes accounting tricky, but I think I found an okay-ish way to represent that here. Bascially I collected "debt" to fuel my consumption this month, lol.

Next up is "CapEx", which are all the big and/or irregular purchases that last a long time (new Laptop, washing machine, etc.). This month it was pretty high due to my Amazon Prime subscription, a new grill and some clothing.

Finally I want to pat myself on the back for reducing my nicotine consumption. I mostly smoke ("vape", actually) at home, so my recent decision to work more in the actual office pays off here. Being outside more should reduce this even further. Again, the accounting is tricky, since I share the "nicotine stash" with my fiance. So we might be subsidizing each other here, which means my own reduction might not be reflected in the raw numbers as much. Anyway, progress!

Work
Work is going great. I've been closley working with two other project-teams to get my in-house data pipelining solution up to speed. It was stressful at times, as my system kept breaking down here or there. The biggest problem was integration with other tools, as I misunderstood a few mechanics that kept killing my system :/ After focusing on better processes, though, I managed to establish repeatable standard procedures to get my components deployed, so it's pretty stable right now. Overall I like the challenge and notice how I'm in a much more healthy mindset towards work in general now.

Adventuring
With the weather improving last week, I felt drawn outside for the first time in a long time. I've kinda been "forcing" myself to hike on occassion during the cold dark months, but now I'm actually motivated to get outside again. I managed a "real" hike ~10 days ago, but quickly was fed up with having to go through half the city to reach actual nature. Fortunately, I also listened to The Trail Show podcast where they were talking about urban hiking, so I decided to try and enjoy the city a bit more. Following this I did 3 more hikes around the city and have come to like it quite a bit. I'm now looking for ways to make my urban exploration more fun, like cartographing all the staircases in the city and making a through-hike of them (similar to the Inman 300 urban hiking trail). This might or might not pan out, but I'm pleased with how fun urban hiking can be.

Fitness
After going out on several hikes I felt invigorated and inspired to work on my fitness some more. Consequently, I made some space in the basement and started strength training again. Right now I'm at about 60% (in weights used) of what I could do before, but I've found on several occassions in the past that getting back to where I once was is much quicker than getting there the first time.

My routine now consists of a very few compound movements that cover the whole body about 2-3x per week. Luckily, I've written down what worked in the past, so getting back to my former best is basically a solved problem. I just need to put in the work :)

The Knee
With all this activity, my knee did of course flare up again. I've found however, that my newfound motivation makes it much more bearable. So part of it might actually be psychological, which fits an article I read that described pain as a "biopsychosocial" phenomenon. Anyway, I've decided to not ascribe too much meaning to my knee pain, as it mostly feels like a faulty alarm mechanism, so let's just ignore it.

I am of course working on strengthening the surrounding muscles in general, and correcting my form/posture/gait to hopefully rise above this problem once and for all. But right now it feels like I can do this, even if the pain never goes away fully. Good times :)

Personal Development
Due to my fiances near-burnout and the resulting health complications I had a pretty hard time last month. Things are getting better now, and I'm slowly becoming more optimistic about the future. What I noticed on several occassions, too, is that I've become very emphatic in general. I regularly find myself finding explanations for other people's shortcomings ("I don't know what baggage they carry with them) and as a result I'm waaaay less judgemental than I was before. As general kindness towards other human beings is one of my core values, I'm very pleased with this. It's a bit weird that it kinda just happened without me putting any actual work into getting better, but I take it.

Musicianship
After a few weeks of obsessing about the guitar, this has toned down considerably. I still like to play every now and then and still find exciting new concepts to integrate into my songwriting (if you can call it that), but I'm much less focused on music right now. I guess it's good that I didn't spend all that money on new gear when I was in my obsession-phase here :lol:

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

Vaccination
My fiance had a vaccination appointment this last saturday, so I decided to go with her to see if I could maybe get one of those mystical "close to expiration" doses. I had no luck with that, but managed to get on a waiting list in case they had expiring doses in the future. The next day I got a call at about 7PM that they would indeed like to vaccinate me with AstraZeneca, if I could make it there real quick. So I got my first dose after a single day of waiting and will be fully vaccinated by the end of August. Depending on whether they change the definition for "fully vaccinated" around, I might even get some freedoms back way earlier than that. It's also really nice to see this whole corona-thing slowly fading out, with about 34% of german citizens now having been vaccinated at least once. It's going to be a good summer, I think.

Anyway, the side effects were pretty bad. What exacerbated the issue was that I had just strength-trained prior to the surprise vaccination call, so the added soreness made everything just so much worse, as I was in very much pain no matter my resting position. I couldn't really walk around the house either, and reading would lead to headaches pretty quickly, so I mostly just slept all day long. All in all I feel pretty healthy today, though, so I guess it's good now. Apparently, the second dose won't have as much side effects, so I'm looking forward to be done soon-ish. I'll definitely cut back on training once the second appointment draws close, though :p

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

Marriage and such
Our wedding was intially planned for early June, but a few bureaucratic processes took a lot longer than we thought, so that is postponed for now. Which is also why we only now got around to looking for a notary for our prenup. As our situation (FI-fanatic + salarywoman/consumer) is anything but normal, I took the opportunity to study the law for a few days beforehand. In short, it's scary and at times quite unfair. The important point for this post, however, is that I can't protect our individual assets well enough for us to sleep soundly.

The problem is not divorce. That part can actually be made reasonably safe for the both of us, no matter who will be rich one once it happens (it won't, though ;) ) The problem is that even though we will keep our assets separate, in a SHTF scenairo, we'll have to both go bankrupt before we'll get any government aid. In many cases this is fair and I want to help my fiance out. If the situation is not salvagable (chronic illness, permanent inability to work) however, it only leads to us both being welfare cases once our assets are eaten up. That is helping noone.

Fair or not, we know there's no way out (they can get us even if we don't marry) and go into this willingly. This brought to light the very real (if unlikely) possibility that we'll end up destitute somehow, however. It also revealed to me a very strong desire to protect "my family" in the future. So I took this responsibility upon me and set out to fix these pitfalls outside of marital law.

Enter Entrepreneurship
A few months ago I've started this thread about setting up a corporation for managing my assets. At the time I planned on saving on taxes to build my wealth a bit faster, but it didn't seem worth it in the end. With my new responsibility of caring for the family, however, it looks much better:
  • The biggest advantage will be that the corporation's money can't be taken if I go bankrupt and vice versa. This should in one fell swoop protect us from complete bankruptcy, even if all of our private assets run out somehow. I will need to talk this over with a tax advisor, though.
  • Another very nice perk is that taxes will be mostly deferred until the money leaves the corporation (i.e. it pays out to the owners). Due to german tax law, the payout can even be made tax-free if it's my only income (once I'm FI). This also means I won't be able to take out considerable money as long as I work.
  • There are several possibilities to include my soon-to-be-wife. She could easily become a partner and profit right away, or go the same way as I do and defer payouts for a salary later on. Some of this might be illegal, so I'll need a tax advisor again, and it's also a good question for the notary during our prenup-meeting. But I might just trick her into FI yet!
  • I can introduce myself as "managing director of Fluens Capital GmbH" at parties :lol: . This does away with the awkwardness of living off of "doing nothing" and might even mask a considerable gap in my CV, should I ever want to work again.
On the other hand, there remain all the disadvantages that led me to set this endeavor aside the first time:
  • Setting the corporation up takes about 2 months and a dozen steps that involve half a dozen government- and privately owned agencies. The costs are minimal (500€), but the paperwork is gruesome. I fear this will be a lengthy slog with lots of frustrating phone calls.
  • The work to keep the thing running depends on how much I can do myself. I might be able to learn the relevant tax law in a few hundred hours and am half excited about that. I might have to outsource at least the very first tax season however. Once this is set up and I have some routine it shouldn't take much time, though.
  • The running costs will be about 500-5.000€, depending on what I have to outsource. So this might not pay for itself in the first few years, but it's not terribly prohibitive either. What's more running costs can be calculated against earnings, further saving on taxes.
Going forward, I'll probably ask the notary a few questions about how this works in a marriage. I assume there are some laws that expressly forbid me from investing my wife's money in my corporation, so we'll have to know those beforehand. After that we'll see a tax advisor anyway, to make sure we're getting the most tax benefits out of our marriage. If the advisor is any good I might make another appointment to talk about my corporation. I'd really like to get this going in the near future (1-5 years), but I still need to research the best point of entry time-wise and how to transfer privately owned assets for maximum benefit. Overall this thing (or something like it) might do away with my biggest fears forever, though, so I'm kinda stoked to get this going :D

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

NuncFluens wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 12:16 pm
  • The biggest advantage will be that the corporation's money can't be taken if I go bankrupt and vice versa. This should in one fell swoop protect us from complete bankruptcy, even if all of our private assets run out somehow. I will need to talk this over with a tax advisor, though.
i don't know german law, but my understanding is that a corporation protects you from business liability. but in a personal bankruptcy, your corporations shares are assets that could be seized by creditors, which would then own your business.

in the us, your retirement accounts are sacrosanct and protected in bankruptcy, but your shares in a business are not. any lawyers in the house please correct me if i'm wrong.

i don't know why the emphasis on bankruptcy in your plans.... forgive me if this sounds like nosy questions, but you mentioned it in your post, so... are you a high risk of bankruptcy, e.g. a gambler or a heavy debtor or something? or do you fear that your spouse might get you into trouble at some point, and need to protect your assets from her?

NuncFluens

Post by NuncFluens »

Alphaville wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:01 pm
i don't know german law, but my understanding is that a corporation protects you from business liability. but in a personal bankruptcy, your corporations shares are assets that could be seized by creditors, which would then own your business.

in the us, your retirement accounts are sacrosanct and protected in bankruptcy, but your shares in a business are not. any lawyers in the house please correct me if i'm wrong.
You might be right, which is why I have to see a tax advisor, as in the moment all this is just a grand idea. It might be that bankruptcy is a much more technical term than I assumed and actual bankruptcy might have that problem.
Alphaville wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 1:01 pm
i don't know why the emphasis on bankruptcy in your plans.... forgive me if this sounds like nosy questions, but you mentioned it in your post, so... are you a high risk of bankruptcy, e.g. a gambler or a heavy debtor or something? or do you fear that your spouse might get you into trouble at some point, and need to protect your assets from her?
Nah, we're well-adjusted and have a good head on our shoulders ;) The emphasis should have been on situations that have the potential to draw down my capital once I'm unemployable. In that case, losing my capital means losing all my income and I might have already substantial gaps in my CV at that time. "Bankruptcy" might have been the wrong word here. An example, though:

Up to 2020, if my parents would have gotten sick, I would have had to care for them, including payment for most professional help. Again, fair, but not if it threatens my livelihood and makes me a welfare case, too. Now if I were a salaryman I would have gotten to keep ~1500€ and half of everything I made above that threshold. As a FI-person I would have had to pay whatever I can until my capital reaches a (quite low) threshold. So I might have lost a huge chunk of all my savings and would have had to go back to work.

Luckily, they changed the law, so my parents will now get government aid (that they paid into their whole lifes), without threatening the livelihood of their children. We can, in turn, help freely and on our own terms, which is much nicer than being forced to :)

So in general, capital (opposed to salary) is not at all protected by default in Germany. Which is why I am searching for a solution that turns my private assets into protected assets in these cases. Things I could think up on the spot would be permanent inability to work in combination with prohibitively high health care costs (my fiance had ~2 burnouts and hereditary risk for a bunch of diseases), but other situations might arise, too. In the above example, at least, it is my understanding that my assets would have been protected within the corporation. But like I said, I have to talk all of this over with a professional to make sure my assumptions are correct.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

NuncFluens wrote:
Mon May 24, 2021 2:29 pm
"Bankruptcy" might have been the wrong word here.
[…]
So in general, capital (opposed to salary) is not at all protected by default in Germany. Which is why I am searching for a solution that turns my private assets into protected assets in these cases.
aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh....

interesting case, yeah, i had no idea... it's in relation with the welfare state protecting salary over capital...

so you need to really "invent" some kind of financial vehicle that shields your capitalist livelihood.

maybe if your business pays you a salary? yeah. i can see what you mean now...

this would need plenty of research to prevent things like double taxation... might need not just a tax advisor but a lawyer.

then when you figure out a formula write an ebook and sell it to others to pay for the cost or research :D