a planter's garden

Where are you and where are you going?
plantingtheseed

Re: a planter's garden

Post by plantingtheseed »

You've been using a nice way of summarizing savings.

Thanks, just got tired of posting graphics a little. :lol:

Yes, I think where people can get into trouble is viewing the market as a given, as a sure thing.

There is no contract with the market. There is no binding of any kind that says the market has to provide a 10% return in the next 20 years.

There is no legal recourse if it doesn't.

When a fresh 20 year old college grad comes to you for stock advice out of the blue, with those glittering eyes seeking riches, you know the gig is up.

I hope I am wrong, but the odds maybe against me.

plantingtheseed

You knew. It was an unfair fight. And yet you fought, bravely.

That time. I looked into your eyes and saw your soul. I found myself immersed in a place as vast as the universe. I had never before seen anything as beautiful. Did you see?

There must be a reason. I guess in a way, I never left you. You will always be you, within us, forever. Those that you've touched.

Smile. You always do. I will too. I will smile for you.

I think I see you now. Be you. Be happy. A better place. In Kingdom of God.

plantingtheseed

March 15, 1933 – September 18, 2020

plantingtheseed

Truly sad times... And these are the people that are entrusted to protect us and to uphold our constitution.

Feces.

Justice Dept. deems New York City, Portland and Seattle 'anarchist jurisdictions'
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... s-n1240600

plantingtheseed

The best car I've ever had

It was missing hub caps on three of its four wheels. All of the side moldings had fallen off, except for the rear right corner.

The headliner was coming out and draped across the inside cabin. There was a big dent on the right which often interfered with the opening of the door.

The car shook violently at speeds over 40 mph because the engine couldn't take it.

Like clock work, it broke down at least once a month and I spent more time fixing it than driving it.

Seats were torn in many places and there were pieces missing everywhere like a nice game of 3-d jig saw puzzle.

Special tricks were devised to turn the radio on, to control the air flow and sometimes, to open the door, among many others.

This was the hand me down car that I received as a gift upon starting college and it was the best car that I've ever had.

I took her everywhere and never worried about dents, scratches or losing her to some overzealous car thief.

Her wheels never ran away from home and people always treated her kindly by giving her wide berth in parking lots.

She didn't need daily grooming and the neighborhood cats and birds loved her company.

She was a free spirit and in turn, allowed me to enjoy her freedom alongside her. We were in love and the world was ours to take.

I've owned many since then, but to this day, no other car has allowed me to experience life and freedom like she has.

All the other beauties were nothing but empty shells. For she was a true lady of substance.

plantingtheseed

James 5

Make America Great Again? For Whom?

plantingtheseed

The power of being consistent and yet another reason to keep working? :D

It started with an offer for a free membership during check-in. I wasn't really interested in pursuing any membership per se, but felt there wasn't anything to lose so I joined the membership and promptly forgot about it.

Over the years, unbeknownst to me, it had been slowly accumulating points as I was going about my business and completing work projects.

One day, as I was checking in, they gave me a nice little present, which included some snacks. I thought it was a nice gesture and a neat promotional idea for the location.

Then another day, I was running late due to an early morning conference which spilled over, and had to make that dreaded call asking for maybe an hour extension for the check out.

To my surprise, not only were they okay with the extension, they even allowed a late check out into the early afternoon. I just thought this was great customer service and kept coming back whenever I was in the area.

And these little "surprises" kept happening from time to time, in the form of mystery gift, a bigger room, a faster internet access and so on.

When they mentioned that they had an app, I installed it for convenience and that's when I found out the points that had been accumulating over the years. It was enough for weeks stay anywhere in the world.

This was the power of consistency. A scattered night stay here and there over the years and over decades had grown to a significant reward over time. This was just like saving for retirement! And I was just working, month after month, to put food on the table.

Ever since, I've expanded to include other free membership programs as a function of work, for expenses that are part of the job. It now spans over two major categories, for lodging and transportation - perfect for retirement!

I am careful not to get carried away with spending and not be blinded by the dangling cheese in front me. I have found that this isn't terribly difficult do, as I only spend what's needed for work, which is later reimbursed.

There may be few more years left yet to trickle in these points, and by then, I am hoping to have about a million in savings (or close to it), as I retire and ride into the sunset.

Hopefully, these companies will be there too, after the pandemic :lol:

plantingtheseed

A somewhat reasonable way to deal with the internet

Qubes is an interesting operating system that tries to provide a reasonably secure operating system computing environment by trying to contain all of its software applications and hardware drivers in a sandbox.

Everything is encased in a sandbox virtual machine and the ties that connect these virtual machines have varying degrees of security, dependending on the activity and the risks associated with the activity.

This compartmentalizes each activity and also prevents cross-contamination between activities such that a single compromise in one virtual machine does not yield the entire system.

While simple in concept, in practice, there is some learning curve to use Qubes, and some things that are easy to do in windows for example, are like pulling tooth under the Qubes.

There is a simpler way to somewhat accomplish what the Qubes OS is trying to do, by using a hardware compartmentalization.

The difference being, Qubes can run all of the activities at same time (more risk) while the hardware method runs only one activity at a time (less risk).

The idea is to replace each sandbox virtual machines with a real hardware equivalent and a switch.
(https://www.amazon.com/Switch-Module-In ... ics&sr=1-3 or https://www.amazon.com/Kingwin-Optimize ... ics&sr=1-1)

One can assign each activity to low cost SSD's (i.e. a RAM only browser machine on DVD-ROM, or 120G SSD for $20, a work machine on 250G SSD for $30, A game machine on 500G SSD for $70 etc.)

An OS that runs entirely in RAM (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_L ... n_from_RAM) on DVD-ROM, or a cheap SSD (ROM) can be configured for guest access only with SATA driver removed.

This will be the main computing machine, for browsing, movies, music, etc. Each time a sensitive task is required, such as online purchases etc., just reboot the machine to start fresh. One can browse anywhere without too much worry as long as the system is rebooted before a sensitive task.

Because the system runs entirely in RAM, a reboot erases any compromises that may have occurred to the system. And because the system runs from a DVD-ROM and/or doe not have hard drive drivers, no malware can be written to the system hard drive. (Therefore, USB stick is not recommended)

The work machine should only be used for work and never be used for browsing. For browsing within the work machine, a sandbox virtual machine hosting the same OS that runs entirely in RAM can be used for browsing and for e-mails within the sandbox.

A work machine can utilize a user initiated folder / virtual drive that is encrypted to store important files or use its own dedicated encrypted portable USB hard drive / usb stick to store important files offline and to prevent cross-contamination between systems.

The game machine can be setup in the same manner as the work machine, or be allowed to run free, depending on the need.

As long as only one system is running at a time, the presence of the hardware switch will prevent cross-contamination between the systems.

In addition, the installation is cleaner and one no longer needs to deal with the issues arising from multi-OS boot loaders.

plantingtheseed

Ballot is on the way - Leaving the party of the greed that serve the rich

What was once known as the party of Abraham Lincoln is now a home to Donald Trump, the self-serving conman who would sell his own nation to serve his own purpose.

While Donald J. Trump points his finger and pits Americans against one another to the point of murder, he's busy raking in the bucks at his gold-plated Florida palace with the showering of donations from foreign dignitaries.

And the Republican Party has largely ignored and abandoned its duty to the nation in protecting its citizens that they "serve", over ensuring of it's own political agenda in the Supreme Court.

I believe I have given them plenty of chances to redeem themselves, but it is clear the lure of greed and power has forever tainted the Republican party.

Their actions, tell me all that I need to know. And as a long time Republican, this is unacceptable to me.

I will choose my country and its founding principles over any political party, every time. There is no contest.

Goodbye.
Last edited by plantingtheseed on Sun Oct 11, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.

plantingtheseed

CURRENT STATS: 99% cash@~3%, 1% {CVX @60, 8.5% div}, NW(c+p): 440k+1.35M

The apple

Spent some time admiring the LG C10 (CX) OLED 77 today and I felt temptation.

It was especially enticing not because I couldn't, but because I could.

The guys demoed the original Blade Runner in 4k for me and all I could say was wow.

Give me strength...

plantingtheseed

The modern slaves

Had the car serviced today at my usual place.

Took several tries for it to happen, because as it turned out, they were rotating people to prevent layoffs.

There was tension in the air and fear hiding behind peoples' smiles.

At least for the folks here, the reality has hit home.

The Wall Street may recover, but the Main Street is in recession.

Not sure how long these $9 happy meals, $80 oil changes and $700 iphones are going to last, but these numbers are fast becoming unrealistic for those of us living in the main street.

Trapped inside the bubble, many don't have a clue that THEY ARE SLAVES for being dependent on government handouts just to live.

Save. Be sure to put away some for that rainy day.

For the rain always comes.

plantingtheseed

It takes 20 years to build a reputation and five minutes to ruin it.
If you think about that, you'll do things differently.

U.S. Image Plummets Internationally as Most Say Country Has Handled Coronavirus Badly
https://www.pewresearch.org/global/2020 ... rus-badly/

Reputation matters - a great deal.

How the rest of the world views us, impacts our standard of living, through increase in cooperative trades and allowing us to avoid costly wars.

In a lot of ways, reputation, is mightier than the sword. When you are coveted, people will follow your lead willingly, without threat, or the use of force.

This is what differentiates a leader from a tyrant.

People will stand with you, because they trust you and know that your words and actions are honorable.

We are coveted, not because we're the United States. We're coveted, because we have proven ourselves to the world, time and time again, what our values are and what we stand for.

This trust is earned, not given.

plantingtheseed

California v. Texas and Texas v. California: Affordable Care Act (Obamacare) on the line

https://www.supremecourt.gov/docket/doc ... 9-840.html

Issues: (1) Whether the individual and state plaintiffs in this case have established Article III standing to challenge the minimum-coverage provision in Section 5000A(a) of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (ACA); (2) whether reducing the amount specified in Section 5000A(c) to zero rendered the minimum-coverage provision unconstitutional; and (3) if so, whether the minimum-coverage provision is severable from the rest of the ACA.

Supreme Court Trialing Obamacare Case That Could Lead to 20m Insurance Loss
https://eminetra.co.nz/supreme-court-tr ... ews/63674/

“I just pray to these Supreme Court judges, and our legislature will wake up and see what’s at stake,” Dawes said. “We can’t afford to do politics with people’s health.”

Source: The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... -insurance

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

I am enjoying your journal and thoughts. Thanks for posting. :)

plantingtheseed

I appreciate that, thanks for the kind words.

As I see it, each generation wants what's best for the next and you guys are our future. We should all LLAP. :D

plantingtheseed

Now we may have a real President in the office - May God bless the United States of America

https://youtu.be/XUnuLFIXWv4?t=185

plantingtheseed

TRUTH shall set you free

By Fox News :D

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

YAY!!

plantingtheseed

A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxBQLFLei70
Last edited by plantingtheseed on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.