The expedient's journal towards ERE

Where are you and where are you going?
saltefanden

The expedient's journal towards ERE

Post by saltefanden »

So, I am the owner and master (or not so) of an expedient personality. That entails consistent high sugar intake, a cigarette addiction, and lazyness to mention a few. This journal will be about my attempts to rectify some of my bad habits by setting some goals and take some responsibility for my life, and not be afraid of failing even though that definetely is a risk. I hope that the writing of this journal will help me keep the motivation up for increased chance of success.

Short summary of the process so far:
4 years ago (and just before I graduated in Computer Science) I read the ERE book. It blew my mind. For all my life I really was sure that everyone had to work until they were at least 70 years old. So why think about spending? I could do fine with student payments (Denmark is great) and a 10 hour/week job at the side, so how could I ever run out of money with even minimum wage? - The reading of the ERE book came at perfect timing just before I was gonna earn a full time wage for the first time in my life. I didn't rush out to buy a house or a car which I properly would if I had not read the book (Thanks Jacob!). I started my new job and stayed put in my small apartment and didn't buy anything big. I have approximately saved 50% of my salary the last 3 years but there is room for a lot of improvements (hence this journal)

My dreams:
- To buy a small/mid size huse with a nice garden where I can grow some of my own food.
- To have a kid or two with my GF (currently no kids)
- To be able to retire before age 50 (I am 30 years old now)
- To improve my fitness and attain better health (non-existing at the moment)

Strategy:
- Bike to work. For health and savings reasons. Currently biking 30% of the time. That needs to be 95%. One bus ride to work pr. month
- Stop smoking. For health and savings reasons. Denmark just increased the price of a 20 pack of smokes to 8$
- Stop eating chocolates and sweets and fast food meals. For health and savings reasons.

Current savings accumulated: 65.000$

I expect to give an update on my efforts once a month with a spending and savings report included. Its time for PRO life!
Feel free to leave comments or ask any questions along the way. And stay safe in these weird Corona times :)

basuragomi

Re: The expedient's journal towards ERE

Post by basuragomi »

Biking 30% of the time is already pretty good, from that base going to 95% is not much more effort. From what I hear Denmark has excellent cycling infrastructure, what usually stops you from biking the other 70% of trips?

Stopping smoking might help cut down on junk food as well, maybe fast food meals won't be tastier once you regain a sense of smell!

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

Yes it is pretty easy to come around on bikes in Denmark especially in the bigger cities where specific bike lanes are along basically all roads.
I tend to avoid biking when it rains specifically for the need to put on special clothing and even more to avoid the necessary bike cleaning afterwards. I have tried to mitigate the last one by making the hose easily available for sprinkling the bike quicker.
I bought a fixie bike for mininal maintenance however, but I went too far in my mission to minimize as much as possible by only having front brakes. So when it rains or is just a bit too icy on the roads I get uncomfortable with the minimum braking capabilities :)
I am considering buying a new bike but I find it hard to find just that perfect bike for all weather conditions. So I probably should just buy a new brake for the rear wheel as well and maybe that will do the trick.

just

Post by just »

Hi saltefanden, I'm also part of the "Danish software developer, found FIRE"-group :) I very much relate to your epiphany when finding ERE for the first time.

I'm very happy with my own fixie for biking around Copenhagen, but I do have both front and rear break. I really appreciate the easy maintenance. I have 10 km to work and bike 95% of the time - ice hasn't been an issue this winter, but it sure has rained a lot!

Do you work from home or at the office in these times and how do you find it? I've done both during this period and hope that could stay after Corona; working maybe two days a week from home would be ideal for me.

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

MEA wrote:
Sun May 03, 2020 7:54 am
If it's a fixie bike does it have a flip-flop hub? If you switch that thing around, you will be able to brake with your legs, too.
Yea, it has a flip-flop hub and I switched it around as the first thing when I got it - That was actually how I visioned that I could do without the rear brake. However the braking length using your legs in that scenario is nearly nothing. On straight roads it can give support to the front brake, and down hill it can only reduce the accelaration but not stop the bike from going quicker and definetely not reduce speed - There were actually a rear brake on the bike when I bought it, so I would have been able to just put it back on but I took it all apart searching for a specific bolt I needed elsewhere, and I had an idea the brake might consist of such a bolt somewhere. It didn't :)

My bike is a Fuji Feather: https://www.fujibikes.com/usa/bikes/pav ... er/feather

I switched out the saddle with a Brooks saddle (My ass thanks me!) and then I replaced the handlebar with a bull horn type (great for climbing hills) I also added the biggest fenders I could find that didn't require the frame to be made for fenders. I am fairly glad with how the bike has turned out, but as Bigato points out, I would like some wider tires for winter riding. I would also like disc brakes for better braking capabilities in rainy weather.

Here's a list of requirements for a new bike:
* Steel frame made ready for full fenders and pannier
* Fixed gear
* Disc brakes
* Gates Carbon Drive belt instead of chain

These requirements are pretty hard to fulfill. If you stumple upon one I would like to know. Either it has it all and is not fixed gear. Or it is fixed gear and doesnt have disc brakes and only have frame for fenders and panniers if you are lucky.
just wrote:
Mon May 04, 2020 3:57 am
Hi saltefanden, I'm also part of the "Danish software developer, found FIRE"-group :) I very much relate to your epiphany when finding ERE for the first time.

I'm very happy with my own fixie for biking around Copenhagen, but I do have both front and rear break. I really appreciate the easy maintenance. I have 10 km to work and bike 95% of the time - ice hasn't been an issue this winter, but it sure has rained a lot!

Do you work from home or at the office in these times and how do you find it? I've done both during this period and hope that could stay after Corona; working maybe two days a week from home would be ideal for me.
Hey, I knew I was not the only one - I have often wondered why ERE attracts so many developers per se. Our proffesion seems to be over represented compared to others. At least that is my impression. Maybe its the inclination to implement efficient solutions. Maybe its the in-build lazyness that makes us only want to do things once. So we could just earn the money once and for all, that would solve retirement problem once and for all :)
Its nice to know the fixie works out for you! I am from Aarhus where it's a bit more 'hilly' lets say than Copenhagen. I was afraid it was gonna be too tough going up-hill on a fixie. So I bought my bike and promised I would try it out for a year and see if it would work. I have been very happy with it. And actually I found out the problem is not going up-hill but down-hill! The pedals can sure spin fast, and the legs has trouble just keeping up.
I like best to work at the office. My equipment is lacking at home. No monitors and the table cannot be adjusted in height. Also I tend to be more focused at work with no tv or playstation in the same room trying to grab my attention :) For these reasons I got special permission to come to the office as the only one during these corona times. But overall it seems the team are having the same efficiency than usually so I would presume if most companies have that experience as well that they would let their employees work more from home. Have you thought about asking for permission to work more from home? - I am sure they would consider it okay if your company have had good experience during Corona

just

Post by just »

I think you're touching on some of the relevant features of why developers are drawn to ERE/FIRE. We also have frinans as the biggest FIRE advocate in Denmark, and he's a developer, too, as I'm sure you know. I guess it's a personality type thing; I score ISTJ in MBTI tests, which I recall jacob saying is one of the more dominant types in the FIRE universe in general, and also prevalent in software circles.

Heard about those hills in Aarhus from other cyclists. I have a flip-flop but use the free-wheel side excatly because I wouldn't be comfortable going downhill with a fixed gear.

Yes, I think I'll ask for work at home once things have settled down (or it might even happen organically, without outright having to ask for permission - we're a small company, so getting such an arrangement wouldn't be a big deal as long as I'm flexible, I think). Right now it's quite hectic at work, so can't do two days at home atm, but I sneak in some days from home (actually did that today), when it makes sense. I feel you on the distractions, which is why I think I could only do two days a week. Sometimes there are also distractions at work though, which can make it hard to dive in to a difficult problem without interruptions.

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

@Just:
I have never read Frinans' blog, but when I just looked at it I could recognize him from the "Temalørdag" show about Jacob and ERE. Maybe I will take a look at his blog and see what he is up to :)
Regarding the MBTI test I have never taken one. I am considering trying out Jordan Petersons test at understandmyself.com. It costs 10$ but I think its worth it. I guess its something a like an MBTI test but probably a bit more extensive. I think I will try it out in the weekend and see what the results will be. Maybe I will fall in the same category. Will be fun to find out :)

@Bigato:
Very cool that you can ride the bike with no brakes! I do not have that kind of courage :) I just looked at some videos with skid / squid and it looks nice but difficult. Something that hit me when looking at those videos is that you need something on the pedals to lock your shoe. I dont have that because I removed them. They made me unconfortable. But that might be why I dont have good stopping power with my legs. Maybe I will try with the straps once more and see if that makes it better :)
I have the default gearing on my bike. I have never thought about it actually. But now that you mentions it it might be worth considering. The pro's of having less RPM is pretty appealing. How is your knees when having such a high gearing? - I think I would be afraid to get pain in my legs if its too hard to pedal. Maybe thats just a matter of getting used to it and it will go away :)
I think you are right regarding finding a bike with those qualities. Maybe I will either get a 2nd cheap mountain bike for winter riding or just take the bus in case there are snow or very much ice. My road to work is pretty straight except a few very steep small stredges that I would bike up and down respectively of the way i bike (to work / return home)

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

If you just want to get the mbti category that you are in you should be able to find an online test for free. I haven't tried it but this one looks fine: https://www.16personalities.com/free-personality-test

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

@Gilberto de Piento:
I just tried that one and apparently I am ENTP-A which they call the 'debater' personality. Its a bit like reading a horoscope or something. I am a little sceptic however I can definitely recognise myself in many of the aspects of the personality description so there much be something to it :)

@Bigato:
Yea I see why they need to be strapped now. It would definitely help with both climbing and braking situations to utilize all of the pedal round and not just half of it. So I just made an order for new pedals with straps. It was a toe cage that followed the bike as default and I definitely didn't like those, so I am looking forward to try the straps :) - Regarding the knees I am sure its just my muscles that have been sore. At least I have not had issue with my knee for longer times, so I guess it must have been muscles. I will try to think about if I should gear up :)

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

So last month I ended up not stopping to smoke and I still ate as I usually do. Also a lot of bus rides even though the weather was fine. So no progress at all. Maybe even worse. This month I will try not to have expectations for all my goals but prioritize. I have not smoked for 3 days now, so smoking is my first priority. I have also biked to work all workdays so far this month, so progress here as well. I will try not to eat a lot of shitty food, but if I do I'll tell myself its okay this month.

Money wise, I have no savings at all from last month. Its probably the first time in a very long time that has happened. There was a 3-day vacation with my GF, a new bike frame purchase for a bike project. I want to build a bike from scratch and have the ultimate commuter bike. - I want to build my own wheels as well, going to the library tomorrow to pick up an instruction book on the subject. Its going to be interesting :)

I also bought some new pedals with straps to my current bike. It wasnt such a nice upgrade as I would have hoped. It is not that much more efficient than without straps. Braking or accelaration wise. I find it hard to find the line between 'easy to fit shoe while biking' to actually be tight enough to be helpfull. Anyone else with experience on pedal straps?

I am thinking about how to track ERE progress each month in this journal. I guess for the money part I will just focus on net worth not counting retirement funds. For now I think I will keep the focus on the obvious lifestyle improvements first like smoking and fast food, and then when I believe that's under control I'll start tracking all of my expenses to go for deeper look to see where the next improvements can be made.

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

So I think it's time for an overview of the financials.

Assets:
- Cash: 465,000 kr / ~ 62,350 €
- 'Arbejdsmarkeds pension' (401k): 223,000 kr / ~ 30,000 € (I need to be crazy old to withdraw this to avoid a 60% tax cut. So I won't include this in Net Worth figure)

Liabilities:
- Student loan (1% rate): 154,000 kr. / ~20,650 €

Net Worth: 311,000 kr / ~ 42,000 €

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

Overview of recurring expenses that are known prehand:

Yearly:
- Jetbrains Rider (software): 1000 kr. / ~ 134 €
- PlayStation Plus: 450 kr. / ~ 60 €
- Health insurance: 1500 kr. / ~ 200 €
- Home insurance: 1000 kr. ~ 134 €
- Waitlist for housing association (boligforening): 100 kr. / ~ 13 €
- Heating: 1270 kr. / ~304 € (last year)
-Water: 1619 kr. / ~ 217 € (last year)

Quarterly:
- Electricity (GF has bills. I am guessing this one): ~ 500 kr. / ~ 67 €
- Unemployment insurance (A-kasse): 1400 kr. ~ 190 €

Monthly;
- Rent: 2930 kr. / ~ 390 €
- Phone: 89 kr. / ~ 12 €
- Internet: 70 kr. / ~ 9.5 €
- Union: 250 kr. / ~ 33.5 €
- Streaming: 100 kr. / ~ 13.5 €
- Food at job cantina: 420 kr. / ~ 56 €

Total Recurring costs per month: 4610 kr. / ~ 618

Before the corona closed down buffets at work I could keep my food budget at a minimum with a semi warrior diet. Now we are served normal portion sizes, so I have to eat some food for dinner at home.

I buy very little cloth, and when I do it's the cheapest I can find in H&M, or from presents.

Besides that, its mostly cigarettes, sweets, fast food and alcohol that cost me money in this world. The first three has my focus to fix in the short run.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Those expenses seem fairly reasonable for the geography. What is your monthly after tax income?

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

Approximately 23.000 kr. I think our (GF and I) expenses are reasonable as well. We live in a small apartment (50m^2) downtown so no need of a car. No children yet either :)

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

So over 2 weeks nicotine free now. It's going alright. I start to feel like I have more energy. It's easier to bike as well which I have done every day this month. I even started playing soccer with some friends once or twice a week. My endurance is getting way better very fast. The first game I was completely waisted after 20 min. After 4-5 games now I can withstand 2 hours without dying :)

The hardest "boss" so far has been a social gathering with alcohol and smoking friends. I did make it without smoking though. The next really hard test is coming up in start of Juli where I am going to a summerhouse with some friends for 4 days with a lot of drinking and festival vibes :) - If I make it I will go on to level 2 which is stopping eating candy and fast food.

Just got off work now for 2 weeks holiday. The Last of Us 2 is waiting for me at home. Life is good! :)

Oh and my pedal straps are working great. I have gotten use to them now, and its much easier to put the foot through them without desperately trying over and over again :)

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

It's time for an update.

I completed step one of my plan to improve savings rate and health. Completely smoke free for six weeks now. Next step is to get rid of sweets and chocolate from my diet. I would like to do a kind of warrior diet where I only eat at work. I have done it before and its excelent for weight loss. Unfortunately I dont know when the buffet will be back (damn you Covid!). Without it I can't get calories enough at work to keep me going a whole day.
If it doesnt come back to normal soon I might try to quit the office food and bring my own lentil soup or the like. It would be cheaper as well.

Savings rate for June was around 50%. From 1st of August I will start tracking expenses more precise.

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

@saltefanden

It would be much cheaper! I'd start that habit now.

Before COVID, I was bringing in a packed lunch of an apple, an orange, and a tupperware of lentil/potato/rice mix. I would make these en masse on Sunday evenings and put 3 in the fridge and two in the freezer. Office food costs add up significantly ...I used to nonchalantly buy a lunch here and there at work for $14-$15. Kicking myself for that now as I've come to understand $15 is basically 5 days worth of food.

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

Yes exactly. I dont enjoy cooking but if I can cook for a week at once I can do it. The prices you state for launch if not self-made sounds also really expensive. The cantina at my job costs 3 dollars or so pr. meal. So it would not be the biggest save, but still. Actually it is mostly the savings of the extra food I have to make in the evening because of the cantina serving portion sized meals instead of a buffet where I can choose my "for all day" portion size :)

saltefanden

On Literature

Post by saltefanden »

For many years I have been ashamed of how little I have read in my life. As a kid/teenager I read Harry Potter and a few nordic crime novels but otherwise nothing. I have always thought that interpreting texts in danish classes in highschool was stupid. Questions such as “What is the author trying to tell us here?” - “Well why don't we read authors that know how to articulate themselves?”. I always used sarcasm to hide from the fact that I had no clue and refused to learn to use my imagination. Later in high school I developed an interest in philosophy though, naively searching for the meaning of life. After giving Nietzsche and a few others a go, only taking away that god is dead, I gave up on the whole “meaning” enterprise and became increasingly nihilistic instead and no more non-school books were read for a long time. In other words I didn't appreciate learning new ideas and just wanted to get by uninspired.

Cut to six years later. I am reading the ERE book a few months before starting my first job after finishing my bachelor degree. The perfect mix of dissatisfying me with my present lifestyle and inspiring me to what kind of life that could take its place. I Started to read books again. This time around focusing mostly on non-fiction books. Books on investing and software development and a book on soap making. After a year or so I started to lose momentum. I re-read the ERE book again for further inspiration but otherwise no readings.

Last year I then read Jordan Peterson’s 12 Rules for life. I knew of Jordan from youtube having watched some interviews and left me with a feeling that this guy is heavy and has something to say. The book is great and gives a lot of good reasons why you should ‘pick something up and carry it’ i.e. take some responsibility to get a meaningful life. It is very motivational. If Jacob has taught me what to do, then Jordan has taught me how to be motivated and disciplined to succeed doing it. More relevant to this post is the fact that Jordan (and Jacob for that matter) is extremely literate. In his writings he makes it clear how different literature has enlightened him in so many areas.

So it stands clear to me now that I need to read more. And not only non-fiction books. Jordan has a ‘recommended book readings’ list on his website which I am going to be very inspired by when choosing books to read.

Last week i was on vacation with a lot of train travelling. I read George Orwell’s “The road to Wigan pier”. Great start! - Moved on to Nineteen Eightyfour now.

So, goal going forward: At Least one book pr. Month. And remember to include non-fiction! :) I plan to succeed by converting TV time to book time. One book is not much, but it's A LOT more than zero!

saltefanden

Post by saltefanden »

Time for an update.

Food:
I have cancelled my cantina subscription at work. So now I need to start cooking my own meals. I have ordered a 5.3L cast iron pot that should arrive tomorrow. I hope it's big enough to prepare 5 days of food for one person. 1L of food pr. day pr. person. I was too lazy to calculate it before ordering, but I figured that worst case scenario I just have to cook more often.

Bike:
I am also looking forward to receiving a bike frame I ordered two months ago. It will come tomorrow. I have not decided yet if I want to invest in the tools to build my own wheels for it. Will I build more wheels in the future? - Would I need more attempts than one to make functioning wheels? - The biggest factor is space for a truing stand. I just dont have it, and the eventual house purchase seems far off in the future so I cant wait for more space to put wheels on the frame. I'll probably buy some pre-build wheels this time.
On the topic of bikes, I am currently trying to think of the best solution for how to deal with bad weather. I live in Denmark where it rains a lot. My current solution right now (summer) is to bike when not raining and walk when it rains. It takes 75 minutes to walk each way. Here are some problems and facts:
  • Walking 75 minutes each way sucks. It works out fine for one occasitional day or two, but more than two days in a row is problematic.
  • I like my bike so I want it to last a long time. I also don't find it fun to clean bikes.
  • I dont like to bike in cloth that is not very breathable. I also dont want to get cold from chilling winds nor cold rain.
  • Public transportation is really expensive.
  • I have two bikes (soon). One is expensive and have room for fenders. The other is cheap and have no room for fenders.
Here are the most efficient solution I have come up with so far (feedback and suggestions is very much appreciated):
  • If summer and not rain: Expensive bike in t-shirt or shirt.
  • If summer and rain: Expensive bike in softshell
  • If autumn/early spring and not rain: Expensive bike in softshell
  • If autumn/early spring and rain: Expensive bike in expensive hardshell technical jacket.*
  • If winter(that is: salty roads) and not rain: Cheap bike in softshell
  • If winter(that is: salty roads) and rain: Work from home the first day. Then walk the next one or two days. If rain is continual for more than 3 days take the bus one or two days in row and then restart the cycle.
The time it takes to hose the expensive bike off should not take long. Not at all when comparing to walking. It has capacity for full fenders, so the grime should be at a minimum. As long as I keep it away from salty weather I think it should be fine in the long run.

* I sweat a lot when biking, so it somehow seems counter productive to clog up an expensive technical jackets ability to breath. Also it would have to be washed rather often. Maybe an ordinary and cheaper non-breathable rain jacket is better. I can take a shower when I get to work. Any suggestions?

Economy:
Overall good results for Juli. ~50% SR. Included expensive gift and travel for a week in Denmark with my GF.
I have started to track every expense to the detail since August 1st. I am just gonna count the expenses as they occur. Some months will be affected by quarterly and yearly payments so next year in August I know excatly what I spend my money on.