Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Where are you and where are you going?
theanimal

Re: Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Post by theanimal »

Happy Birthday, Dave!

I'm curious..you mention how you don't enjoy Mondays and aspects of your job, you think you've failed for not stopping work 1 year ago. What does personal success look like for you at this moment? How do you reconcile that with your current position (if you're not already there)?

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

HB iDave

CS

Post by CS »

Happy belated birthday.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

tonyedgecombe wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 11:02 am
This is the program page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bgv82g. It's offline at the moment but that might be different in your part of the world.
Thanks, tonyedgecombe. Haven't checked it out yet but will in the next few days.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Thanks, everyone, for the birthday wishes. It was a quiet day although I did splurge on a carryout dinner from a local restaurant that had just reopened (still carryout only) earlier in the week. The day itself was about perfect. Even with bright sunshine the high only got to about 60, which for me is much nearer perfect that the mid-80s and up that seem more typical around here this time of year. Two more cool days and the heat comes if weather.com is to be believed.
theanimal wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 4:56 pm
I'm curious..you mention how you don't enjoy Mondays and aspects of your job, you think you've failed for not stopping work 1 year ago. What does personal success look like for you at this moment? How do you reconcile that with your current position (if you're not already there)?
I think the main thing about the job right now is that a lot of it seems in semi-limbo because of the pandemic response actions taken by the relevant corporations. It makes for an off-kilter feeling that my mind wants to interpret as dystopian. The ebbing of morale on Mondays I believe is a product of that writ larger--the sense of dystopia extends beyond the workplace, and despite efforts to distract myself, it's maybe a bit more in-my-face on days I'm not in the office, especially weekends when I don't even check in or work from home. I guess I think if I'm going to be in a semi-isolated environment, this isn't the place I want to be while I do it.

Regarding the 55 thing, that was a target from many years ago and "missing" it came to mind while looking back at how I got to where I am (events like New Year's and my birthday tend to get me thinking in that vein). It was a goal I had that was part prediction that I didn't make, so a "fail" in that sense but one that I've known for the last ~two years I would probably opt to exceed. I could claim success because the stash probably would have supported it (though I'd have been sweating bullets in March, ha), but the stash is just part of the support structure and only my actions really count. If that makes sense?

Your last two questions are difficult to answer. I have a better idea of what, at this moment, success is not than I do what it is. I should go think about that question--it might make for a good future post topic here. I tend to think of success as always a future thing rather than present. In some measures I feel like I'm succeeding, as I tick off various interim steps and way points.

Seems that not having a crisp description of personal success means I don't have a basis to examine any gaps between the present and "success". Good questions!

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Was working from home today and listening to a playback of a video cast by a guy named Tom Bukovac. He's best known (insofar as he is "known") as a session guitar player in Nashville. He was answering a question from a viewer about rhythm guitar. After the required "Rhythm guitar is becoming a lost art ..." that all guitar pedagogues are apparently required to recite he said the following (apologies for imperfect transcription).

The older you get, the more you realize stayin' at home is where it's at. Find a rhythm, and stick with it. If you venture off of it, it better be for a damn good reason.

It sort of had a ring of truth to it even beyond music. It fees like an alternate way to state some of what I'm looking to apply moving into the next phase of life.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Happy belated Bday! We share the same date =D

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

2Birds1Stone wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 1:23 am
Happy belated Bday! We share the same date =D
Belated birthday wishes to you as well, and many happy returns of the day!

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Subtract a few more ere merit badges from my sash. I've decided to pay the boys across the street to do my mowing this June through September. Like riding around town with $850 and every block or so tossing a twenty out the window until it's gone, just because I can. What I'm telling myself is that I can use the time normally consumed by the mowing ritual for other tasks related to getting the property ready to sell. I'm skeptical that's how it will work out.

Got the new heat pump put in Saturday. Sunday morning the most apt way I could express it (to a group of online music acquaintances) was it felt like paying for a really nice guitar then setting it on fire. I'd been kicking around the idea of having a guy in Finland custom build an instrument for me as a retirement gift to myself, and his rough quote was about identical to what the hvac cost which is where the comparison sprouted.

I did have a look at the guts of the old indoor air handler after they took it apart to carry it down from the attic. Just because something still works does not mean continuing to use it is a good idea. It was scary, looked like a dystopian microbiology experiment gone horribly wrong. Luckily I had not run it in a/c mode this year so all the germs and cooties were still dried out and dormant. No wonder my upstairs had a faintly boggy bouquet late last summer. Now I'm wigged out over air handlers as hatcheries for all kinds of pestilent nasty things. Should not have looked, probably.

The new one works great, feels like about 3X the airflow as the old one, and the air, for now, smells clean.

My habit of growing perennials that are marginally or less hardy in my zone has brought evidence this past winter was unusual. Several perennials that have no business overwintering here did so fine, while others that are generally hardy here, did not. So some of my landscaping upgrades from last year need redoing this year.

Alabama is coming back to life. Quite a bit more traffic over the last 5 days or so. I like things a lot better when they are quiet. My instincts are to retreat even more. I have no idea if there will actually be a post reemergence c19 surge or not. But I'm disinclined to be part of the experiment.

I don't know what I'll think about this time five years from now. My ongoing assessment is that some aspects of my perspective are going to be permanently altered. I have a love-hate relationship with hunkering down and essentially hiding out. As a proud introvert it pains me to admit that there are some days that aren't so good under the lonely cloud of the pandemic. There's a fine line between solitude and loneliness, but they don't seem to exist on a continuum. I toggle pretty noticeably and abruptly between states.

I've saved the most critical item for last. Suddenly toilet paper is in short supply again. I refused to hoard a bunch after the initial panic died down--I didn't want to behave like a skittish little mouse. After 6 weeks of half-full shelves they are now barren again. I'm down to just under five rolls, and they are not the super quadruple mega rolls either.

I would apologize for so much pointless rambling, but I guess that's the nature of journals sometimes, and it's not like this thread is required reading. For those of you patient enough to bear with me--thanks. One could argue it's pretty lame to lean on online acquaintances during the cloudy stretches, yet here I am.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

Giving the neighbor boys opportunity to earn a little money is kind. I think that's enough to justify it.

rube

Post by rube »

And maybe they can arrange some toilet paper for you.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Scott 2 wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 11:35 am
Giving the neighbor boys opportunity to earn a little money is kind. I think that's enough to justify it.
Scott 2, that was one of the considerations that tipped the balance.

rube, yeah, hopefully it won't come to that, but it never hurts to have good interactions with one's neighbors.

A happy day on Wall St yesterday has brightened my mood some. For the year I'm now down less than 2.5% net of new savings in my investment accounts. I don't believe we're anywhere close to home free yet, but pausing for a few breaths of optimism every now and again is good for the spirit.

CS

Post by CS »

These days, who else is there to rely on? If they aren't in your household, it is hard to feel safe hanging out with anyone.

Ironically, my writing groups have upped their online webinars to the point that I have to force myself to say no or I'll not get other things done. Also, YouTubers (my new addiction) are going to town. I'm too busy these days, although a good coffee with a friend would be a dream, not gonna lie.

As far as cutting the cord to work, you are fight that worst of all enemy - a comfortable spot. It would so much easier if it was a dreadful sweatshops. :lol:

Sending you good vibes for taking the scary jump of letting go.

Having some kids running around your yard is like having company, sort of. Think of it as a mental health investment. :D :D :D

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

IlliniDave wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 am
I did have a look at the guts of the old indoor air handler after they took it apart to carry it down from the attic. Just because something still works does not mean continuing to use it is a good idea. It was scary, looked like a dystopian microbiology experiment gone horribly wrong. Luckily I had not run it in a/c mode this year so all the germs and cooties were still dried out and dormant. No wonder my upstairs had a faintly boggy bouquet late last summer. Now I'm wigged out over air handlers as hatcheries for all kinds of pestilent nasty things. Should not have looked, probably.
As a professional HVAC design engineer of 10 years for high end commercial buildings... I'm a big fan of windows and ceiling fans. :( Hard to pull off in the south though...

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 10:01 am
As a professional HVAC design engineer of 10 years for high end commercial buildings... I'm a big fan of windows and ceiling fans. :( Hard to pull off in the south though...
I'll be moving to a significantly higher latitude, so some of the dependence on A/C will be mitigated soon. What do you think about "attic fans"? I use quotes because that's what the one person I've heard mention them used. The house he grew up in further south in Alabama had one. Idea is a very large fan in the attic that pulls air out though a large vent in the ceiling and pushes it outside, typically used in the evening, with windows in the house opened up. Idea is to draw the cooler night air in more quickly and uniformly than what you can achieve with window fans. I wouldn't do it here because nighttime humidity is very high. But it seemed like a perfect idea further north where the night air is more pleasant. "The rub" that I see is twofold. Cosmetically it wouldn't be an enhancer, and you'd want a way to seal it off well when not in use. If you already had an air handler in the attic you could probably use it by rigging a way to open the duct at the outflow of the handler and running the unit with the fan on but the a/c off. If I get any more stir crazy hiding out because of c19, I might try it as a proof of concept exercise, though as I mentioned the humidity would preclude everyday reliance on it for me.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

@iDave - My neighbor who lives in the oldest house on the block (built pre 1910) has one. It's supported by a couple of small A/C window units that run about about an hour straight each day after which she shuts them off and coasts on the air. The house is also (one of the only ones) under a couple of giant shady trees. The basement remains reasonably cool. Everybody else live in "naked" brick boxes with central A/C that runs constantly in the summer. Humidity here is 40-70% and temperatures are typically 77-90+F in the summer.

We (brick box) use window fans in the evening to curb the A/C use, but these are nothing compared to the power of an attic fan. I wish we had one but the design of this house makes it tricky to implement.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I’ve used attic fans that were simply placed in wall of attic and they are very effective in comparison to window fans. I can’t imagine you’ll need air conditioning at all in your north woods cabin. If you think you do, that’s just a signal that it’s time to jump in the lake.

AnalyticalEngine

Post by AnalyticalEngine »

I have an attic fan, and it's great. I typically run it in the morning (when the daily low is). It pulls all the hot air out of the house. Then I close the windows/blinds all day. It will keep the house completely cool until about 2pm. 2pm does start to get pretty hot though.

Then I'll run it again in the evening to cool the house off before bed. I'm 100% comfortable and never hot most of the time with it. (I do use fans in the windows too.) However, late July/Aug DOES start to get hot enough that I have trouble sleeping at night, even with the attic fan. It's about two weeks out of the year.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

jacob, yes, I'm pretty familiar with that area, grew up just a ways out I90. I don't remember attic fans as a kid, which is sort of a surprise. Of course, as a kid I didn't pay a ton of attention to that kind of stuff. The neighborhood I grew up in was built in the 1920s-1940s, so somewhat contemporary with yours. Here the nighttime humidity is almost always virtually 100% and summer lows tend to be in the mid-70s once things get rolling. That's among the chief reasons I'm looking to ratchet up my latitude.

AnalyticalEngine, thanks. That kind of what I imagined in a more temperate area. I'd probably wimp out and revert to a/c during the dog days.

7wb5, embarassed that option didn't occur to me. A lot of people have such exhaust fans around here, but they are simply used to pull hot air out of the attic, controlled by a thermostat. No connection to inside air. Ridge vents are overtaking them in popularity though. The arrangement you mention sounds like the best option for modifying a house. My only concern (and I'm sure it is addressable) is leaving an easy path for cold air to get in the house during winter. You'd be surprised how hot it can get up around my hideout. IIRC the record temp in the nearest town is about 105 or 108 recorded back in the 1930s. I have thought of a portable a/c of some sort, or at least a dehumidifier for use at night although an attic fan there might suffice. It usually cools off pretty well after sunset, but hot weather usually comes with a stalled high pressure system, which tends to mean breezeless nights, and changing over the air in the cabin is a slow process.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

CS wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 9:40 am
As far as cutting the cord to work, you are fight that worst of all enemy - a comfortable spot. It would so much easier if it was a dreadful sweatshops. :lol:

Sending you good vibes for taking the scary jump of letting go.

Having some kids running around your yard is like having company, sort of. Think of it as a mental health investment. :D :D :D
CS, you should get a prize for succinctly stating something I know intuitively and bringing it to my conscious attention. Pandemic aside, I am situated comfortably, and my reptile brain says comfort = good; therefore, do nothing. :) I've always characterized my plight as being drawn away by some deeply visceral wordless need rather than escaping an intolerable situation. Full disclosure: that's not true at the peak of the summer when I spend probably half my waking hours consumed with an internal monologue cursing the heat.

They're good kids and a good family. If I'm going to cough up the dough it's much more tolerable knowing it's going to them rather than the professional services who would charge me a fortune (because upscale neighborhood) while exploiting undocumented workers. The workers themselves do great work--wish I could hire them direct. The only problem with the arrangement is that I'll have outdoor machine noise foisted on me from close range, possibly at times I'd prefer tranquility, if you know what I mean. :lol: