Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Where are you and where are you going?
Tyler9000

Re: Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Post by Tyler9000 »

IlliniDave wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:36 am
I came pretty close to putting in my papers at work yesterday afternoon--far closer than I've ever come before. I was thinking about the why of it and really couldn't come up with a specific reason. Something in my reptile brain could have been behind it.
Me, too! I came very close on Wednesday, was sure I would by Friday, and now that I've given it the weekend I climbed back down from the ledge. There must be something in the water. The social isolation is getting to me as well, but DW helpfully pointed out that because of the lockdown quitting isn't going to change that. Sometimes the best action is to just make the best of the moment.

In any case, being stuck at home has taught me a bit about what I do and don't value these days. Without acting too hastily, I may start thinking more about the future I want to build once things get back to normal.

BTW, I dig the track! It makes me want to learn guitar, or at least mess around with VST.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

IlliniDave wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:36 am
I came pretty close to putting in my papers at work yesterday afternoon--far closer than I've ever come before.
Tyler9000 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:59 pm
Me, too!
I'm just gonna throw this out there, because I've felt the same way lately. Maybe it's not just the social isolation. At least in my case, work is proving to be one of the few remaining social outlets. Rather, I think we (FI based ERE'ers) have all been subconsciously fearing this inevitable, dreaded bear market for so long now. Since it's finally here, and it's really not such a big deal, maybe there is a sense of subconscious relief? Like, the S&P was down 35% in a month and everything was/is fine. I think it's taken a monkey off my shoulders from a financial anxiety standpoint. This creates room for a little reevaluation of priorities.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

1taskaday wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 3:42 pm
After listening to this it is obvious that humans need human contact to feel good about themselves.
I have so much to work on to achieve a happy retirement/aging which is my greatest priority.

I have the diet/excercise/muscle retention down pat...but seemingly social contacts are more important than all of these...

Who would have thought??
I am learning, and coming to agreement with this. Finding a balance between solitude/independence and sufficient social connection is the introvert's struggle. Might be somewhat more readily navigable if there was a DW in the picture. I don't think I'll ever be a completely social creature, but turning into Howard Hughes would be a disaster for me. :)

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Tyler9000 wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:59 pm
... Sometimes the best action is to just make the best of the moment.

In any case, being stuck at home has taught me a bit about what I do and don't value these days. Without acting too hastily, I may start thinking more about the future I want to build once things get back to normal.

BTW, I dig the track! It makes me want to learn guitar, or at least mess around with VST.
That's a good point you brought up. I don't remember if I thought to mention it, or even noticed it, but getting some first-hand inkling into how much the world around us can change and how quickly, really gives a lurching shift to one's perspective that serves as a wake up call. Haven't worked through it too much but I can't imagine there won't be notable changes to some of my prior ideas about the future I strive for.

And thanks for the kind words. VST is new to me although I've known about it for some time. Dabbling in it now is part of working towards a smooth descent into retirement. Or maybe 'ascent' is the better term. :) Pretty amazing what it can facilitate in the hands of talent and skill. I am pleasantly surprised what a hack like me can do without a whole lot of specialized knowledge.

Still haven't pulled the plug yet. Still can't explain why.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:20 pm
I'm just gonna throw this out there, because I've felt the same way lately. Maybe it's not just the social isolation. At least in my case, work is proving to be one of the few remaining social outlets. Rather, I think we (FI based ERE'ers) have all been subconsciously fearing this inevitable, dreaded bear market for so long now. Since it's finally here, and it's really not such a big deal, maybe there is a sense of subconscious relief? Like, the S&P was down 35% in a month and everything was/is fine. I think it's taken a monkey off my shoulders from a financial anxiety standpoint. This creates room for a little reevaluation of priorities.
That's an interesting thought. For my timeline, this occurrence is at one of the worst times possible--I'm the proverbial deer beside the road trying to figure out when to cross and along come the blinding lights and the freeze. I like to think the worst is behind us, but it might not be. Some comfort in taking a pretty big short-term hit and not melting down over it--leaping into the road in front of a semi. Seems like a calm now from the investor seat, but I had the strongest notion to chuck it all aside during a surge in angst over health aspect of the pandemic. C-19 Cases were appearing in the workplace at other of my employer's locations, my boss's daughter contracted it--and part of me just wanted to escape what my hyped up mind fashioned into a drawing noose. Whenever I detect external threats my need for self-determination surges.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

@Idave
Yeah bad for sequence of returns, but at least there is some more certainty in future returns at current pricing levels. It's also different living through a 35% monthly decline than it is modeling it. When it happened, I felt fine. Actually better than fine, because I have too much cash and wanted to deploy it. We very well may retest those lows, but It probably won't be quite as dramatic in the second run. The 35% in a month is about as bad as can get, and I weathered it fine psychologically. Which tells me my whole set-up with semi-ERE is financially stable. I still have about a 50-60% savings rate, so I'm wondering if that's really even necessary given how well I weathered this downturn.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

classical_Liberal wrote:
Fri Apr 17, 2020 1:24 am
@Idave
Yeah bad for sequence of returns, but at least there is some more certainty in future returns at current pricing levels. ...
I was actually thinking of it as potentially good wrt SoR if enough starch gets let out of things and retirement came when it was reasonable to expect more upside in the future than we were looking at back in February. The price for that extra future optimism was looking at stepping off with a noticeably smaller stash, which makes some of the more pessimistic scenarios I look at more stressing. I'm not sure we're completely out of the storm yet, so I hate to prematurely declare victory, but I also felt like I weathered the volatility pretty well--certainly better than 2007-2009ish (difference probably being not-FI then versus FI now). I felt very calm through most of the big swings, and also thought it was pretty weird to be so detached to that set of numbers. Maybe it means I'm growing up finally. It's what the post-c-19 world might look like that is causing my current wigginess. There's a part of me that leans towards clinging to the familiar while assessing a future that might be a little outside what I considered in all my planning.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

On Sunday my dad's best friend, from when they were little boys all the way to the present, passed away after a battle with pancreatic cancer. I knew him pretty well too--he owned the local nursery I worked at for a couple seasons back in HS (where I trace back most of my nerdy interest in trees and flowers), and of course he was a "friend of the family" before and after that, and my dad's primary marathon-running buddy. So to me it's sad news but doesn't hit too terribly close to home. From my dad's perspective, such a friend's passing is of course quite a loss; but what's making it a lot worse is that because of the pandemic, there are no plans for any sort of a funeral service or wake or anything for people outside immediate family to attend. That's the part that appears to be hitting my dad the hardest. It's like not being able to go through the customary act of paying respects is leaving such an enduring friendship incomplete.

A colleague at work shared the experience of recently "attending" a "drive-thru" wake. Don't know the details, but apparently everyone just drove near the family in the church parking lot and waved or shared a couple words from a distance through windows cracked open a little. The wake was for the grandparent of someone she knows, whom she didn't really know, and even then she said "incomplete" was the right word to describe it, and that she felt really bad for the family.

That's an aspect of all of this that I never considered. Hopefully for my dad there will be some opportunity for a memorial gathering, at least among those of their circle of friends still around, once the social restrictions are eased. I may be reflecting anachronistic values, but a 75+-year friendship seems to deserve something more than the reading of an obituary and a few phone calls as the news is circulated.

Frita

Post by Frita »

I am so sorry for your dad’s loss of his friend. As you mention, COVID-19 is changing how we handle many things. Memorials and funerals can be challenged during the best of times.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Thanks, Frita. A lot of what our society takes for granted requires ongoing close contact with folks outside our inner circle. Past this crisis, I wonder what changes, if any, we'll see. I think I'll forevermore be leery of crowded spaces. They weren't my favorite places on a day-to-day basis, but at times attending an event, or a popular restaurant, or even passing an evening with a few friends in a pub were things I could enjoy.

On a different topic, I continue to be pretty happy with my spending. I had grown lax while the good times rolled. Many reasons, a few of which could be construed as excuses. As I've mentioned before when I begin to see the world as a threatening place, I tend to change my behavior in ways that increase what control I have over things. Clipping spending on the margin contributes to that. So far I'm down about 3 years worth of peak year future withdrawals YTD, but I've made back about 2.5 months worth of that by returning to mindfulness of the deeper costs of tossing money around! Little stuff like that helps keep my morale from floundering.

I was thinking about things that would generally be considered nonessential but that due to my quirks I'd want to have a SHTF stash of, or things that are somewhat essential but aren't things people usually think about. Not everything I thought about is practical (who wants to stock up on spare HVAC systems). Some minor items that could wind up hard to get a hold of in an extended disruption that I'll be looking to lay in a multiyear supply are things ranging from guitar strings to fishing gear (going to lay in what should be a lifetime supply of the most basic items) to pvc parts and fittings and a spare phone. In a later entry I'll include a list.

I think I mentioned that the wilderness area is closed. I don't see much logic in that given the quota system they have in place. So far the Canadian side is open, but I don't think the Canadian border is so open that a person could drive up to enter the park from that side. People have been asking when I'm thinking about heading up that way, and I don't know what to say at this point.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

April 2020 is in the books as one of the more remarkable months I can remember.

Barring the unusual/unexpected (ha! that's a pretty high bar these days) I'm no-kidding inside a year before Phase III commences. I have a much more somber outlook now. I'm trying to spin it as an adventure to find a new (maybe better) niche in a world of different challenges. I think I can stick with my plan and be successful. But maybe there's a different road I need to travel.

I've mentioned before that some facets of the shelter-in-place orders many of us are living under have been stressful. Happens that in my part of the country the momentum has clearly shifted to taking concrete steps towards "reopening". My feelings have shifted as well. I guess part of me enjoyed having the ground rules change in a way that made introversion the better fit for the environment. There is a significant relief factor to artificial sociability being discouraged rather than expected, even in a sense demanded. I'm simultaneously looking forward to and dreading a return to some degree of normal. Goal is to exploit the additional liberty of Phase III to pull together the best of both worlds, I guess you could say. In a sense the plan was always to strike that fundamental balance. Today I'm just a little more informed.

Then there's the splintering of truth. The process has been ongoing for some time but to my instincts it is particularly sinister during a pandemic. Filtering out bad information is almost a full-time job which doesn't leave much time or available processing resources to work out rational and sensible adaptations. I think I can stick with my plan and be successful. I wish I had a better understanding of what all was afoot on the playing field of life.

Financially things are hanging together. Personal finance, that is. I decided over the last few days to initiate some expenses in the "House Sale Prep" category. They will spike my spending (which has been at a level I'm pleased with 2020 YTD) and chew into liquidity a little bit, even though the money's already in an earmarked sinking fund bucket. There doesn't seem to be much threat to continued employment, which means free cash flow will remain high on average, and probably even stay positive when planned future relo-related spending peaks. It will be interesting to see how I respond in the future when negative monthly cash flow becomes much more commonplace, and for a period durning the bridge years, maybe the norm. In the last 7 or 8 years or whatever length I've been tracking in detail, I've had one negative cash flow month besides the purchase of the cabin, which in my mental accounting was more of a transfer of assets than an expense.

Unfortunately I expect the real estate market around here to slow down over the next year and shift to a decidedly buyer's market. Getting rid of the place expediently will pose challenges. But I'll probably also be greeted by a buyer's market on the subsequent transaction after relocation. Hopefully it will be sort of a wash.

One way losses on the investment side are being felt in the short-term is that I might not have the flexibility within the limits of what I consider prudent to buy my next house irrespective of whether the current one is sold. I had intended to start looking in earnest at the end of this summer and act when I found what I felt was the right place. In the past I've compromised because of the sense of urgency and inconvenience being "between houses" brings. My non-retirement assets are deployed pretty conservatively and are still sufficient, but my reptile brain uses them to camouflage the bigger holes in my longer-term assets. Spending them, even temporarily, is like pulling back the Wizard's curtain.

For now, though, it's just a matter of going hour-by-hour and day by day. Still a compliant social-distancer. No signs the c19 response policies at work will change anytime soon. Work-from-home is a lot like shelter-in-place in that it really felt like a big sea change, but now I sense I'll be less than thrilled to g back to the old scheme. Even something as relatively minor as commuting 3x/wk versus 5x in a notable quality of life enhancer for me.

Today will be our third typical April day of the year here, and it's only May 2nd. Been a cool spring. Ice finally off "my" lake as of yesterday afternoon, so their spring is late too. The is the latest ice-out of the years I've been watching. I didn't watch the first spring after I bought, but they tell me it was even later than this year. The interim years were all consistently in the April 15-19 range. Anyway, sunny/low 80s around here so good for puttering around the yard for a couple hours. Also have to repair the pull-down door to my attic. Even though it took a bit of a shock, I'm happy that I'm back in the mindset that small, simple things like those feel satisfying.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

I read something this morning that has bothered me a little bit. It was something a guy stitched together where he had a screen capture of the last couple dozen or so texts he exchanged with his father before he committed suicide back in the latter part of April. Father and son apparently live in different parts of the country, and a sister lives in a third part of the country. The son seemed to think the suicide was related to the c19 isolation. His father lived alone and had retired a couple years ago. I don't have an opinion on the veracity of that theory. Two facets of the exchange and commentary got to me though.

First, his father seemed very upbeat and engaged (and successful) with some leisure pursuits. He was interested and paying attention to c19, but appeared to approach the glut of information rationally and reasonably, optimistic about the probability of eventually getting past it. The son described his dad as a bit of a "loner" so while having some concern about his increased pandemic-related isolation, it wasn't a paramount concern (given the apparent positive and "normal" tone of the text exchanges). That got me thinking about my dad. He doesn't text but we talk on the phone weekly at minimum. He seems upbeat and his sense of humor is intact, but he's lost two since-high school or longer friends during April, and his social routine (Fridays beer at "the club" with his high school pals, weekly breakfast with other school pals, bi-weekly poker night with his old work pals, and church on Sunday) is completely shut down for now. Even the family gatherings are curbed as both my Aunt and oldest sister (who share the family matriarch role since my mom passed) have health concerns and are being extra cautious in their self-quarantining. My brother and other sister look in on him as often as they can, but they both struggle with maintaining an orderly lifestyle so it's haphazard. Reading those texts knowing the end result has me a little worried that Dad's putting on a brave face that belies something a bit more concerning.

Second, the father in some ways reminds me of the me I envision. He'd apparently worked his way to being a fairly accomplished guitarist and was in the process of writing arrangements of all his favorite songs for solo guitar and recording them. The son played as well and they'd collaborated on some things. The father had also taken up painting, converted an extra room to an artist's studio, and had produced a steady output of increasingly better work. Some of the specifics are different, but if someone told me that's more-or-less what I'd be doing ~2 years after retiring, I would say that would put me in the happy camper bucket with a good deal of contentedness.

Suicide is a complicated thing and there might be a lot the son did not reveal, or didn't know. I also don't think my dad is the type to actively take his own life, nor is it anything I would posit for my own future. But the story did remind me both that things aren't always what they seem, even from a relatively close perspective, and that having interests and activities that would get general approval for enriching and making a life worth living don't guarantee success. Adds some urgency to my timeline, and combined with my recent pandemic-tinted reflections have me questioning my future road map. It's probably not a bad thing to continually reevaluate plans but I also believe a degree of underlying confidence is an important ingredient too.

I have the ball rolling for getting my upstairs HVAC replaced, one of my larger get-the-house-ready-to-sell expenses. The thing is > 25 years old and basically does its job. I really don't like replacing items like that while they are still working. A new one will be more efficient, won't use freon, and should be more reliable, but a new one already comes with a certain amount of sunk energy and legacy of pollution. The old one did start producing a sort of swampy smell late last season when the AC runs. Probably over the years of he heat exchanger doing it's job in the high summer humidity up in the not-climate-controlled attic, algae and such has built up on the coils. It could be cleaned/restored for a few hundred bucks probably, but I'm not comfortable sinking that money into something that has a nonzero probability of giving up the ghost for good in the next year, and the last thing I want is an 11th-hour problem of significant magnitude cropping up on the eve of a closing. I've always been amazed by how frequently things like that seem to happen right around final inspection time based on listening to different peoples' anecdotal tales of woe. A few thousand bucks feels like a lot to spend in such an economic environment even though it's been in the plan and the money set aside for two years plus now. At least I'll have clean-smelling AC for my last Southeastern summer, and eliminate a potential liability when it hits the market.

Next up is an exterior paint job, which I'll also probably hire out. My discomfort with heights and ladders is an expensive personality trait, alas. That will then leave a much-needed kitchen refresh and some other interior spruce up odds/ends to get it to where I've been advised it should be for decent salability.

Several of the local real estate outfits are advertising programs where they'll buy your house as-is (the claim is generally "we'll give you what it's worth as-is minus 6%, roughly the going commission rate in the area). Before I go beyond the exterior painting I'm going to bring a couple of those guys in to see what they'd give me. I truly dislike interior remodeling, and so if I'm not grossly overpaying for the convenience of letting someone else deal with all of that, I might just go with it. I'd have to find somewhere else to live for a few months, but my next door neighbor has a significant rental real estate business and says he's usually always got something open if I don't mind living in a downscale apartment or trailer in a downscale part of town. Unfortunately, right at the time everything shut down the local market was getting hot (houses in decent neighborhoods were often selling for above asking price within days of going on the market), which was probably what prompted local brokerages to get into the flipping business. They might be abandoning that now. But since my new cell plan has unlimited calling minutes, it doesn't hurt to make a few calls.

Mondays are getting to be bad days for me for the first time I can remember since I was in grade school. This past Monday I was once again on the cusp of just saying to hell with it and checking out. The next 11 months of net salary does still have some marginal utility offsetting relocation expenses and some of the losses incurred by the stash, I'm still down 4-5% or so for the year after new contributions. For a lot of reasons I hope the restarting of the economy goes fairly smoothly.

I turn 56 tomorrow. Technically that constitutes a failure relative to some goals I set for myself back in 2011 when I said I'd retire no later than the year I became eligible to separate from the company as a retiree (age 55). One of the reasons I hung around this year was the hope of getting a severance package of some sort related to a recent merger. Unfortunately with c19, our sister businesses from the other side of the merger are being devastated (large dependence on the aviation industry) so enough folks on that side will probably be let go to cover the expected "efficiency enhancements" The Street is waiting to see. No need to tempt people to leave from my side of the new entity, which is chugging along with relatively minor impact beyond struggling to keep up with the business we have because of absences and other pandemic response concessions. I'll probably be back on overtime next week.

I'm going to do my bit today and head by the local big box home improvement store to get some fertilizer for my lawn, my first nonessential outing since before St Patrick's Day. Just need to run my just-laundered bandanas through the dryer so I can don my desperado-style face covering.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »

IlliniDave wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:09 am
... an 11th-hour problem of significant magnitude cropping up on the eve of a closing. I've always been amazed by how frequently things like that seem to happen right around final inspection time based on listening to different peoples' anecdotal tales of woe.
Yes. I'm thinking it has to do with how one figures out how to live with slightly wonky stuff/mechanics to the point of forgetting the workaround which is has become fully internalized and automatic. For example, a door that binds except if pushed at a certain angle when opening it. All the residents open it no problem, but the first non-resident who tries will get stuck and break something. We have a door handle on one of our closets that for some reason was installed so the door handle turns in reverse. I can only imagine ...

Quantummy

Post by Quantummy »

Happy birthday early! Congrats- you're doing great and ahead of some of us on the ER path.

WRT "Next up is an exterior paint job, which I'll also probably hire out. My discomfort with heights and ladders is an expensive personality trait, alas." I'd say since you are over the age of 29, avoiding ladders is less expensive than being on them more than 6' off the ground.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

IlliniDave wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:09 am
That got me thinking about my dad. He doesn't text but we talk on the phone weekly at minimum. He seems upbeat and his sense of humor is intact, but he's lost two since-high school or longer friends during April, and his social routine (Fridays beer at "the club" with his high school pals, weekly breakfast with other school pals, bi-weekly poker night with his old work pals, and church on Sunday) is completely shut down for now. Even the family gatherings are curbed as both my Aunt and oldest sister (who share the family matriarch role since my mom passed) have health concerns and are being extra cautious in their self-quarantining. My brother and other sister look in on him as often as they can, but they both struggle with maintaining an orderly lifestyle so it's haphazard. Reading those texts knowing the end result has me a little worried that Dad's putting on a brave face that belies something a bit more concerning.
There was an interesting program on suicide on the BBC last year. They said one of the best things you can do if you are concerned about a friend or relative is to ask them if they have been contemplating it.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

jacob wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:26 am
Yes. I'm thinking it has to do with how one figures out how to live with slightly wonky stuff/mechanics to the point of forgetting the workaround which is has become fully internalized and automatic. For example, a door that binds except if pushed at a certain angle when opening it. All the residents open it no problem, but the first non-resident who tries will get stuck and break something. We have a door handle on one of our closets that for some reason was installed so the door handle turns in reverse. I can only imagine ...
Ha, yeah, good idea, I need to think about what I have going on here that I've just adapted to. The houe I grew up in, which is much older, was full of those things, and has even more now. One of my chores when I get back home will be honcho-ing getting a lot of that sort of stuff taken care of so it's easier for my dad to live in the house.

One of the things I was thinking of when I wrote that ... about 10 years ago there was a female couple that lived next door to me. They were moving to a different part of the neighborhood with patio homes because they didn't like having a yard to take care of. On the morning they were closing they called me over to look at their bathroom because the floor was warm. I was able to deduce fairly easily that their hot water line to the tub/shower was leaking. Houses here are typically built on slabs, and sometimes water lines are laid first and encased in the slab when it is poured. Repair of something like that is a little messy. Needless to say they were quite stressed having that happen on closing day.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Quantummy wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:28 am
Happy birthday early! Congrats- you're doing great and ahead of some of us on the ER path.

WRT "Next up is an exterior paint job, which I'll also probably hire out. My discomfort with heights and ladders is an expensive personality trait, alas." I'd say since you are over the age of 29, avoiding ladders is less expensive than being on them more than 6' off the ground.
Thanks Quantummy. I fully support your ladder eligibility age requirement, ha!

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

tonyedgecombe wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:35 am
There was an interesting program on suicide on the BBC last year. They said one of the best things you can do if you are concerned about a friend or relative is to ask them if they have been contemplating it.
I really don't think he is contemplating suicide. At all. The point of comparison with the story is simply that being a relatively recent widower (a bit over 2 years now), losing his two friends in April, and having his social routine put on hold, might be harder on him than he lets on. If that's indeed the case, I don't know that there's much I can do to help while still 680ish miles away. It's a relatively important item that gets put on the scale while looking for an optimal transition time. That said I might Google around to see if I can find a video of the program online somewhere. I've never contemplated suicide even for the briefest fraction of a second. Probably a good idea to educate myself a little.

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

Happy Birthday! I can't believe you're 56. That would mean I'm going to be 54 next month. :lol:

I complained (a lot) about turning 50 but I'm actually enjoying my 50s. I saw the new Seinfeld special on netflix this week. He said he likes being in his sixties because when people ask him to do something he can just say no. He said at 70 he'll just stop responding altogether lol. I think that's how I feel now. Like 'hey, this is me ... deal with it'. :lol:
Last edited by jennypenny on Sat May 09, 2020 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tonyedgecombe

Post by tonyedgecombe »

IlliniDave wrote:
Sat May 09, 2020 7:17 am
That said I might Google around to see if I can find a video of the program online somewhere.
This is the program page: https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0bgv82g. It's offline at the moment but that might be different in your part of the world.