recreational vignette with dominatrix please do it

Scott 2

Re: Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Post by Scott 2 »

Buy both guitars. Get laid. Easy.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I think you should consider it quite the compliment that a Dominatrix approached you. I think they are usually in hot demand. I considered trying to lean more that way myself now that I am getting older, but I highly doubt that anyone would want to be “trained” by somebody as absent-minded and lacking in attention to detail as me. As in “Oops! I forgot about that one I zip-tied to the bed posts last Thursday.”

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yeah, during my brief foray into the lifestyle, I belonged to a related forum rather like this one, and a very intelligent, insightful female who was a strong “switch” suggested that maybe I am only capable of dialing up to “fun top” in the direction of dominance. Seems about right. I’m frequently a bit disappointed if I don’t get flipped when I come on assertive. OTOH, I don’t like being forestalled when I come on assertive unless there is a good reason like he wants to make it more romantic.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

RockyMtnLiving

Post by RockyMtnLiving »

IlliniDave wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 6:50 am
My on-paper target AA 60+/-10% equities, the rest in bonds/cash (I don't worry too much about split there). I've been generally bumping along at the bottom of that equitey range for most of 2020. Every time I get up around 65% I dump some. I'm right around 10% return YTD too.

That allocation is a SWAN override of my "formula" AA. If you call the total I anticipate withdrawing from the stash its liability, then my prior strategy had been "2X Liability in Bonds/Cash". Implemented today that would be, with liability conservatively estimated, 75/25, and projects to be 85/15 when that day comes. I don't think I'll have the guts to be so aggressive at the onset of going without a paycheck.
I hear you.

I am though intrigued with rising equity glide-paths ala Pfau/Kitces. See, e.g., https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... e%20period, https://retirementresearcher.com/use-ri ... etirement/. There are also all those recent articles about why the classic 60/40 portfolio is DOA for similar reasons; I'm not certain I agree with any of this, but we do live in a low interest rate environment.

We may just do the bucket approach -- hold a couple years' worth of expenses in cash, then let the rest ride in equities. That basically sounds like what you are doing or plan to do.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

IlliniDave wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 4:37 am
Geez, if there was one place where I'd expect to get talked off the ledge of dropping $8K+ on a toy, I'd expect it to be here, haha. Must mean it is an excellent idea!! ;)
My wife read my earlier comment and said I'm being a dick :) I argued. Really, my point is - enjoy life. Time keeps moving.

You are sitting on 2MM. With your expected draw down percentage, it is most likely to slowly grow. Maybe there will be some sequence of return risks from today, but from everything you've written, I wonder if you'll ever even touch the portfolio. And yet, you are still earning more money, working overtime even. I wouldn't be surprised if you saved more than the guitar costs last month, from your job alone.

At some point, when the promise of compounding and a career plays out well, I think we have to re-asses our constraints. When money is no longer limited, we have to adjust. If your passion is music, and you would enjoy playing an $8k custom guitar for hours every day, why wait? What is the benefit in missing more of those sessions?

And, honestly - while expensive for a guitar, it is a relatively frugal hobby. Low maintenance costs, some amount of resale value (could it appreciate???), put money into the hands of a luthier, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see you turn it into a side gig. It is putting something positive back into the world, IMO.

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Some musical equipment holds its value or appreciates. If the guitar isn't too oddball you may be able to predict what the value is likely to do in the future. I suspect being the first owner of what you described is not a money maker but the depreciation might not be that bad either. I'm guessing you are not planning to sell it but keeping in mind that the value isn't dropping to 0 when you drive it off the lot may help you to give yourself permission.

CS

Post by CS »

Lol, 2,000k! Was it mentally overwhelming to write 2M?

I tease, but still, what a weird feeling that must be.

Personally, I didn't move on anything in the spring per my existing investment rules, and now I'm like "but everyone else made so much money..." Haha. What is that saying, comparing yourself to others is the root of all unhappiness? Still up for the year (about 10% too) but not 100k in a month. Wow!

Sorry to hear about your Dad and the financial stuff. Some of my family is doing stuff that is endangering others (virus-wise) and it is making me feel that lots of distance the only path for my sanity. Not exactly the same, but stressful none the less.

For the guitars, personally, I'd choose one and then use it. The attachment and enjoyment will be greater. Buying too many can make it less not more.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Scott 2 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:20 am

At some point, when the promise of compounding and a career plays out well, I think we have to re-asses our constraints ...

And, honestly - while expensive for a guitar, it is a relatively frugal hobby. Low maintenance costs, some amount of resale value (could it appreciate???), put money into the hands of a luthier, etc. I wouldn't be surprised to see you turn it into a side gig. It is putting something positive back into the world, IMO.
Please assure Mrs Scott 2 I didn't take offense. That's a good point you make, and something that I suspect is at work in my subconscious. All the preparations have been made, the 30-some year holistic investment is paying off, and someday I need to uncheck the automatic reinvestment button and diversify. It's hard but not impossible to buck a well-ingrained frugal nature and the only reason "not to" is if I decide I don't want to. I dunno that a side gig is in the future, but it would be cool to put something nice back into the world for having been here! That's a high bar though, for me. Thanks for the inspiration.
Gilberto de Piento wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:19 am
Some musical equipment holds its value or appreciates. If the guitar isn't too oddball you may be able to predict what the value is likely to do in the future. I suspect being the first owner of what you described is not a money maker but the depreciation might not be that bad either. I'm guessing you are not planning to sell it but keeping in mind that the value isn't dropping to 0 when you drive it off the lot may help you to give yourself permission.
Any instrument I might consider buying from this point forward will retain a decent fraction of its value provided it's reasonably well taken care of. You are correct, calling them investments would be a stretch since I'm looking for something to play rather than a collectible to curate, even though a fair chunk of the hypothetical $8K+ (or 0.008M for those who prefer those units ;) ) would go into the artisanship rather than the bare function. The specs are rooted in a common popular style of instrument, so it won't be relegated to the curio pile when I'm done with it. We'll see what I decide. I'm more inclined to take the plunge that I was before I mentioned it, haha.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Yeah, but did you ever consider whether a guitar might want more than one musician? ;)

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Lol. I agree, but would further note that if a guitar that has been neglected in the corner is picked up, dusted off, tuned, and strummed by another musician, its perceived value may suddenly rise. Also, a strong minority of musicians prefer to be second on stage* with same guitar.

*The first edition of The Joy of Something Other Than Cooking made use of a foodstuff metaphor to describe this phenomenon which I will not repeat here due to the fact that it was a bit too apt.

llorona

Post by llorona »

The Domme probably has her own toys, but if not, Beatings on a Dime combines certain ERE principles with kink. :lol:

bostonimproper

Post by bostonimproper »

Am I the only one who thinks iDave and 7WB are the ERE forum's OTP? Bueller?