Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Where are you and where are you going?
Scott 2

Re: Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Post by Scott 2 »

18 months for Cobra is required by law, I believe. Your premium is so low though, I wonder if it is correct. Does your employer continue to pay their portion during the 18 months? I think that is highly unusual and would be a great perk. It would explain the number though. Heck, even the retiree premium looks low to me, but I understand that number.

It is likely your employer is working with a better (younger and healthier) risk pool than an ACA plan. If you cannot make the subsidies and cost sharing work, I would fully expect it to be your superior option. Especially with the individual mandate gone, there is a process of anti-selection going on in the ACA risk pool. The healthiest are going to be insured through their employer, or opt for plans like the health share. Pulling them out of the pool drives ACA prices higher, pushing more people off the exchange, etc. This leads to a divergence between the price of employer (group) and individual plans. The golden ticket is membership to an employer plan, at a growing company focused on knowledge work.

I think ACA introduced some protections around emergency room access and out of network billing:

https://www.healthcare.gov/health-care- ... om-access/

What ultimately gives me comfort regarding healthcare, is knowing the population at large will only tolerate so much expense. Kind of like that joke about outrunning a bear, so long as I have greater means than the average american, I'll be okay in whatever system emerges.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

IlliniDave wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 8:39 am
The third is a new one I'm calling "mental/emotional". For quite a long time I dismissed that domain as trivial but I'm learning it's not.
As soon as I see this acknowledged in a journal, I realize someone is finally serious about ending their OMY(s) syndrome.
IlliniDave wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:48 pm
Seems my journey is about finished. Hope everyone else finds success in theirs.
Congrats! But the journey is really just beginning. :o

Frita

Post by Frita »

+1 to c_L’s comment of your journey just beginning

RockyMtnLiving

Post by RockyMtnLiving »

IlliniDave wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:48 pm
P.S.

Seems my journey is about finished. Hope everyone else finds success in theirs.
Very happy for you.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Oh man, glad there seems to be a light at the end of the tunnel with the family drama.....I think it's one of those things that's often ignored by most people in their life planning. My family has had a gut wrenching experience with my fathers brother cleaning out my grandparents when he had control over their finances. The case drug out in court and shortly after the judgement went in their favor he died of a heart attack.

Despite all of this, my own parents have done absolutely 0 estate/long term care/eldercare planning of their own.....

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scott 2

Post by Scott 2 »

The problem is unfortunately common, My wife and I each have a set of grandparents where a child was taking advantage. In one case, he managed to become executor of the estate, was living in the home, and stretched the process over years. This was after getting caught fraudulently opening a credit card in his mom's name. In both cases it ripped apart sibling relationships, fracturing the families.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

OTOH, some of us are embarrassed when the physical therapist comes over, because we are staying with an aging, currently invalid, eccentric multimillionaire who hasn’t scrubbed his kitchen floor thoroughly since 1982. Luckily, I know his trustees quite well, and they have assured me that not in my realm of responsibility, as in “He could damn well afford a cleaning team and/or 5 other houses.” I did manage to clean the place up enough to make functional path for myself, but had to deal with some grumbling along the lines of “Why isn’t the wrench I use to open other thing which is broken in the dusty corner of the counter where I left it?” :roll:

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

I've been gently hassling my old folks (actually anyone I know over the age of 65) with the Swedish death cleaning book/concept since I heard about it. This has had some success. Most recognize the problem well enough from having dealt with it themselves that they don't want to inflict it on others. It's a slow process though. In particular, the older, the less energy, and the slower the cleaning. People can get trapped by their age.

ThriftyRob

Post by ThriftyRob »

DW heard about Swedish death cleansing and suggested we start it (we're not over the age of 65!). It seemed a bit morbid at the time although it makes sense. I know how to assess the value of the stuff we have bought and will be able to realise more for it all through sales than our kids would when house clearing after we are gone. ERE has actually been the catalyst for me – the thought of living in a studio or one-bed apartment, clutter free, with only the essential things we need is both attractive and liberating. So we are under way. Selling 8 items on ebay each week takes a surprisingly big chunk of time, especially when winning bidders don't pay or communicate.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

What is the backup to an 18 yo Mitsubishi?

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.