Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Where are you and where are you going?
IlliniDave

Re: Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Like Layla. But in a non-Scorsese way.

DutchGirl

Post by DutchGirl »

IlliniDave wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 am
Subtract a few more ere merit badges from my sash. I've decided to pay the boys across the street to do my mowing this June through September. Like riding around town with $850 and every block or so tossing a twenty out the window until it's gone, just because I can. What I'm telling myself is that I can use the time normally consumed by the mowing ritual for other tasks related to getting the property ready to sell. I'm skeptical that's how it will work out.
Maybe it will. We have a cleaner who comes in once every two weeks. Whenever she is here and working hard, I am also working hard. It's the guilt of having someone else sweat for you that makes me do some decent work myself (either sorting & cleaning up some of our stuff, or doing some work-work that I had been postponing). So maybe whenever those boys come around to do your yard, you'll be motivated to do something useful yourself, as well.
IlliniDave wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:32 am
I would apologize for so much pointless rambling, but I guess that's the nature of journals sometimes, and it's not like this thread is required reading. For those of you patient enough to bear with me--thanks. One could argue it's pretty lame to lean on online acquaintances during the cloudy stretches, yet here I am.
Now imagine that it's required reading for a 22nd century's virtual classroom. But anyway... I'm reading this with a nice cup of coffee next to me, and I like it. I like your stories, and the mixture of the mundane and the more philosophical. Keep it up :-)

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

My busybody take is that you are better off living closer to your daughters and grandkids anyways. Just zip up to your cabin for the season.

OTOH, I am pretty damn incensed about your DBN’s behavior, because moochers like him give moochers like me a bad rep. It’s kind of like how you should do no irreparable harm when you camp in the forest. Taking gift of $49,000 vehicle from somebody who barely affords broken down truck himself is wrong. Taking gift of used bicycle from somebody who drives $49,000 vehicle himself is either pretty harmless or somewhat beneficial if it also encourages him to do more bike riding.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

I have a friend whose young adult son is like that and also quite violent. Took her years of therapy to get clear of need to “help.”

I am stuck in similar ultimate retirement location triangulation puzzle. I would love to be close to my kids but that also puts me too close to my mother relative to locations of my other sisters who already owe me big time on Mom duty.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Igotgoals

Post by Igotgoals »

Gosh Dave. What a mess with your Dad.

I think you've thought through things pretty logically and see the probable outcomes of any action on your part. Which all still leaves you right where you are - upset and angry.

On the other side, that's great that your stash is at a new peak.
I'm still under where I was but that's probably because I panic sold a big chunk, putting my stock market index fund into a MMkt.
Certainly not at the bottom, you ask? Well.....not quite, I answer.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

jennypenny

Post by jennypenny »

I'm always amazed at stories like your dad/DBN because I'm not inclined to hand out money like your dad and I'd never take money like your DBN. I can't relate and I'm not sure how I'd react.

That said, you're being nicer than I probably would be ... I think I would have cut the ties between my dad and nephew permanently, even if I had to do it with a chain saw. ;)

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

@c_L is my go-to for ACA questions. County sounds fishy, state definitely. Health insurance in the US is a mess, don't let it ruin an otherwise solid retirement plan.

George the original one

Post by George the original one »

When estimating your medical insurance premiums, don't forget to check them at various ages. Insurance premiums typically double between age 50 and age 60 due to your age, even before factoring the normal inflationary increases.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

@Idave
Consider an ACA plan plus a healthshare. Healthshares are relatively inexpensive because they won't cover pre existing conditions or most meds. That doesn't really matter because in a nonemergency pinch you can go back home and use your ACA in network. However, they have absolutely no network, so if you get hit with balance billing for out of network care in an emergency, you have coverage. I have a $75 mo plan with the equivalent of a $5000 deductible with up to 250K in coverage per event, the monthly cost does not go up with age, but adjusts based on actual healthshare payouts in totality to remain solvent.

FYI all the major healthshares are religious based, so if you're anti-religious organizations it's not a good option. This only impacts your coverage in that if you do something considered against their principles (like drink through your liver) they won't cover you. They do specifically state what is not covered on those grounds though.

Another option, although a PITA and tedious, is that "moving" constitutes as a Qualifying Life Event. This means you can change your coverage mid year. So theoretically you can change coverage in the summers to MN and back to home in the winters.

As I'm sure you're aware, but would be negligent if I don't point it out. Lower MAGI's gets you huge ACA subsidies. Any tax games that help with subsidies are a must. This even may mean going against some of the "normal" withdrawal advice. For example, normally a roth would be the last account you draw down, however, roth drawdowns don't impact MAGI... so it may be in your best interest to take advantage of that before medicare kicks in at 65. But you'd have to do some serious personal math to determine if it's worth it. On the other end, roth conversions do count towards MAGI, so if income is on the low end an keeps you out of ACA land, it's better to increase your MAGI with conversions to a roth to a max subsidy level. From what I know of your situation it's more likely the former may be more important than the latter in your case.

Edited to add:
Some states do have balance billing protections. If you are going to spend almost all of your time in only two states, maybe look up the specific state laws regarding balance billing protection. MN is pretty progressive and may be one of those states. Then you can determine which state to make your home address based on those protections vs tax implications, etc.

Edited again: In rereading I realized I didn't define "balance billing". This is how you get screwed in out-of-network care in ACA plans. If you're not familiar, read up on that first.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.