Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Where are you and where are you going?
Igotgoals

Re: Phase III - Deja Vu All Over Again

Post by Igotgoals »

Thank goodness for that banker, Dave. That's great that she was able to get through to your Dad.
Maybe you've said before exactly how much money your father was funneling to your DBN but I didn't recall it being so much.

What a crime.

I hope it's the start of the end of your DBN's relationship with your dad.
Good riddance.

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

I am thinking of backing up my Honda with a 2021 Ford Bronco. If a loan is used the value could be retained better than overvalued stocks and bonds. I was looking at this chart of car prices in the late 1970s inflation. If I can get 0% loan for 7 years, there is no capital outlay, is that so bad? ;)

https://www.in2013dollars.com/New-cars/price-inflation

SEX

You could steamroll right over DoucheBag Nephews in that thing.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Mister Imperceptible

Post by Mister Imperceptible »

My 2016 Honda has over 70k miles already, I bought it in the spring of 2017 and got a great deal because the 2018s were coming out soon. Lots of work travel that recently has died down but now I have a lady friend in the next state over.

I love the Honda and I plan to run it until it dies but having the Bronco would mean not having to dig the Honda out of the snow, or worrying about whether the plow trucks have gotten to the roads yet, and having off-road optionality. With the Civic I can keep the mileage on the Bronco low. I have never liked trucks or soccer mom crossover SUVs but the Bronco is a bad ass looking 4x4. I could never bring myself to get a Jeep because they seem overpriced for the money and everyone says they are a nuisance to maintain and are subpar on highways.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

@Idave
Thanks for chronicling this stuff about your dad. It does happen a lot, and he was giving away a metric s**t-ton of money.

I just want to point out a side note to all of this. I think, sometimes this is a symptom of how our society treats the elderly and not just some form of decreasing mental status. We very much marginalize the elderly in the US. If some a-hole, mooching relative is dependant on the elderly person, they can very much use this as a reason to feel important again. Even if they realize they're being taken advantage of. So don't forget the psychological components, maybe your dad needs some help with purpose.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Very apt analogy! Methinks in music and in life there will always be "wrong notes" because we are parts of a structure, as are notes. One could compare our society with the tonal structures of music, we are formed by our surroundings, our traditions and cultural conditioning. In fact, they are closely coupled. I'm sometimes playing in a group with a Congolese percussionist, and I frankly have problems identifying any rhythm at all, but it sounds great, and he is able to hold it steady forever, so there must be some underlying rhythm. My paltry West European ears are simply not used to picking it up. Also take Eastern or Arabic scales, they also often sound strange (wrong?) to us - the reverse is probably true as well. So whenever you break out of those accustomed patterns there will someone perceiving it as "wrong" - in life and music. A wrong note is always the disruption of an accustomed pattern, as one single note can not be wrong without context. We are very used to our local scales/pentatonics and there are only a few chord progressions in contemporary music that are repeated over and over (that's why freestyle jazz is not mainstream, probably! :)

Another reflection - it is astonishing how little listeners notice wrong notes/mistakes (apart from musicians on the same level or better). As long as you play on steadily, the audience will not pick up on most mistakes. Put that together with the findings of the "Barry Manilow experiment" and it becomes clear, that "performing for an audience" need not stop one from playing wrong notes at all, be it in life or music.
http://blog.learntolive.com/spotlight-e ... -relevant/

NewBlood

Post by NewBlood »

IlliniDave wrote:
Mon Aug 24, 2020 12:55 pm
This comment really struck me (I didn't know how to include the quote you inserted, which initially I didn't recognize as something I said, haha).

I was in a really good place then, writing a lot in what an old friend called my "poet's voice" even though a literal poet I am not. Thinking about this over the weekend I realized that I was actually living that voice at the time, or you could at least say the voice was somewhat authentic. I had just come out of a relatively dark place in the 2008-2012 time frame and ~2012-2016 was a period of a lot of inner growth that really accelerated around the time I found my way here. Exploring Zen philosophy gave me some vocabulary and mental models that allowed me to take some trails new to me. That voice went silent a few years back and hasn't reappeared.
[...]

I guess the "perfect" outcome would be the triumphant return of the voice in a few months as I'm walking out to my car with a little box of junk from my office. It's much more suitable for ER than the dry cynical me of late. :)
I am really enjoying your poet voice! For anyone interested, that @IlliniDave's 2014 golden nugget of wisdom was:
Thinking is easier than living, I now realize. And, it takes less courage.
I am sorry to hear you have lost your voice and have been going through a rough patch. I am still reading through your first journal. I really enjoy reading through some people's entire journals, I find the evolution of thought process fascinating. I'm a slow reader though, so it's gonna take me a few weeks to catch up. I truly hope you find the voice again! It's definitely helping me out on my journey.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

Last edited by IlliniDave on Thu Feb 04, 2021 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Maybe there is always a growing and changing web of positive and negative belief systems. For example, the belief that if you masturbate you may go blind would be a negative spur that largely dead-ended some time in the 20th century. The belief that AI will know your preference in pudding flavor before you are consciously presented with options might be seen as a positive 21st century belief.

IlliniDave

Post by IlliniDave »