guitar player's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
guitarplayer

Re: guitar player's journal

Post by guitarplayer »

@Bankai, I read it to DW, thank you. If it comes to me, I am already converted to this, but thanks anyway!

By the way, I am reading 'A guide to the Good Life' after reading one of your entries, enjoying it. The style is definitely a modern American psychology one which is something I am very familiar with.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Finished the shearling boots! If someone recommends a good platform for sharing photos, will post some. Thanks for the idea @ertyu!

https://www.instructables.com/Simple-Shearling-Boots/

Skipped the hard soles as I will only use them indoors. This way they also roll up very well and will be good for traveling I think.

My back of the envelope calculations tell me that it took about 13h of work to make a pair.
* I have learned how to use an awl.
* I now have personalised snugged slippers.
* I put some dead sheep to work again.

[EDIT] And we planted a tree today.

ThriftyRob

Post by ThriftyRob »

Well done! I'm envious because I need an effective indoor warm footwear option.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

You did it!! How cool!

If you want to preserve rollability but strengthen the sole, you could line the bottom with flexible material: leather or pleather you have lying around, sturdy jeans fabric, etc. Leather or pleather are recommended because fabric usually gets dirty fast. Unsure how "shiny" the original coat you cut up was, but if it was matte it would probably quilckly become dirty, too. It all depends on what materials you have lying around and whether reinforcing the sole and protecting it from grime is high enough priority.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@ertyu I am actually very happy with the fact that I can feel everything under the sole and would like to leave it this way! The only thing I am a bit worried about is that the sole will wear off eventually. However, I seem to remember a cow skin used as a rug at my granny's for decades so have faith it will keep on giving (comfort and warmth). Really love them. Made them from a coat similar to this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Genu ... Swj4FgJi7v if I come across a piece of leather to second coat the sole, might just do it.

Meanwhile, the grey oyster mushrooms finally pinned from the tree we have been eyeing since last year, and there are loads! All the way up to about 4-5m high, wish you could see it. Over the weekend I might borrow a ladder from the maintenance dept and harvest some.

It would be great to find some Morel mushrooms this season.

A quick update: I had my second dose of Pfitzer on Wednesday. Also great weather the last few days, did one 45kmcycle+9kmwalk outing and tidied up the garden for the upcoming season.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Monthly update

On money

It has been over 1,5 months without looking at the shares. It feels good this way. FTSE100 has been quite stable recently.

We maxed out LISA for the past tax year which means 25% gov bonus on that money for either first property or when withdrawing in old age.

Barely spending anything, though DW purchased seeds for the growing season. I got a couple of presents for family which was perhaps $60 total. probably around 70-80% saving's rate.

On studying

I am now working on the first assignment for Essential Mathematics 2. This covers mathematical typesetting which is very easy now because I have been using LaTeX for a few months, and as the reader might remember I love this stuff. Also number theory and fundamentals of cryptography, conics and statics. This subject is much more physics oriented compared to Essential Mathematics 1.

I applied for a fee grant for the second year of the degree. How cool is that, not to have to pay for it (well, pay in taxes but other citizens chip in as well).

DW decided to study Cyber Security. Also applied for funding. She will probably face the 3rd country national problems, but that's just life.

On foraging / nature

So we harvested a bunch of grey oysters (in some earlier posts I was writing yellow oysters but they are in fact grey, did not see well the last season)., maybe 3kg? We had them grilled, tasted like chicken. Then made an oriental style stir fry. Finally we have dried about half of them.

A girl knocked at my door asking to identify some mushrooms she had found - I now have a reputation that spreads around the neighbourhood! Anyway, she had a super interesting find, i.e. false morels, like these ones https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_morel. False morels are poisonous, but it was still great to see a new mushroom. I am extra keen to find actual morels this season so take it as a good sign.

This girl also shared a very clever idea of harvesting birch sap - find a downward sloping branch, cut the bark on the branch and hang a churn or bucket right under the cut. Works brilliantly apparently, she had lots of it in her churn and we had a drink together. Last season I was trying to harvest from tree trunk with a hose of my kamelbag but lots of sap would just drip down the bark and I felt it was such a waste. Her way is so much more clever!

So yes we have lots of seeds and another growing season ahead of us. We have some perennial seeds as well which is the way to go when thinking about buck for your time. Yes we don't own the place but hey then in decades someone will have a food source maybe. Brings to my mind the recent discussions about level 9 ERE scale.

House

Quite luxuriously I now live in a victorian house on my own, well DW is here whenever I am. I expect someone to move in sooner or later.

Health

I went poo less in 2021. Initially I was excited that my dandruff was gone but now it is here again. People say that it usually happens with change of seasons winter-spring and autumn-winter. Anyway, I cut my hair completely which helped the dandruff. Feels clean as well and less maintenance, and nutritional variety for compost creatures.

These days I tend to do 200 burpees 5 days a week, one day go for an adventure with DW (like 30km run, 20km hill running, a combination of cycling and walking) and one day rest and do sun salutations.

Holidays

I am on holidays now and will be back to work in about two weeks. We might go cycle touring for 6-8 days.

Unpaid leave

I will have a month of unpaid leave between June and July.

Reading

I finished 'A guide to a good live' by by Wiliam Irvine. I am reading the recommended reading list, starting with Seneca.

From the forum, I would like to read 'Finite and Infinite Games' by Carse.

Forum

I am thinking about this forum, to try to produce some more quality comments. I get so much from the forum, would be nice to contribute more.

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

guitarplayer wrote:
Tue Mar 30, 2021 1:24 pm
Forum

I am thinking about this forum, to try to produce some more quality comments. I get so much from the forum, would be nice to contribute more.
I personally just enjoy stories and updates about life in Scotland. Lots of great stuff about foraging, making your own boots, and learning here as well. You might consider a trip report, either here or in the new touring thread, if you make it out on the tour you mentioned. I'm sure lots of folks would love to hear about it.

Keep up the good work!

Bankai

Post by Bankai »

I had similar experience with no shampoo experiment. I lasted ~1.5 year but eventually had to go back to using a shampoo for the same reasons as you. If not that, I'd definitely keep going - it's amazing how hear adjusts and greatly reduces the amount of grease it produces after only a couple of weeks. It's similar to how taste buds only need about a fortnight to reset sugar and salt receptors.

I'm curious of your opinion on 'Finite and Infinite Games'. I'm reading it myself now and it's very theoretical, personally I prefer books with some practical applications.

Do you have any specific plans for your month off? Or just taking some time to recharge?

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@WRC thanks for the kind words! We ended up going for a 300miles trip on the south west of Scotland. From the 2nd of April non-essential local travels were okay'ed. We bent it a bit the meaning of 'local' but hey, from any place on the trip we could have cycled back home in a day so I call it local ;) I am going to write more about it later. We had some great views, vistas and mostly sun but gosh was it cold at times. Took us 7,5 days, came back this morning.

@Bankai yeah I increasingly come to a conclusion that climate is quite a factor. I mean, I occasionally had skin problems on the continent but nothing compared to now that I have been in the Atlantic climate zone for the past few years. Whenever I go for holidays someplace warmer / dryer / less windy for more than a week things tend to start improving on their own. Now I think about skin problems as overhead costs until I can take my bags and be out of here for the nastier part of the year ;)

I am halfway through the 'Finite and Infinite Games'. Beginning I liked, then it gets more and more Faucaultian and I get the impression that ideas expressed elsewhere in a simpler way are wrapped here in a thick veil of metaphores. Particularly I think this after watching the interview with Carse from Stoa (which is maybe how the topic of the book arrived to the forum, and accidentally took place shortly before the passing of Carse). If you intend to read the whole book I would recommend the interview at some point. But still making my mind up about the book.

Some bits might be enjoyable to read, like for example this:

"If I am born into, and add to, the culture of a family, I am also a product and a citizen of its politics. I first experience the conflict
between the theatrical and the dramatic in the felt pressure to take up one of the roles prepared for me: eldest son, favorite daughter, heir to the family's honor, avenger of its losses.

Each of these roles comes, of course, with a script, one whose lines a person might easily spend a lifetime repeating, while intentionally forgetting, or repressing, the fact that it is but a learned script. Such a person "is obliged to repeat the repressed material as a contemporary experience instead of, as the physician would prefer to see, remembering it as something belonging to the past" (Freud). It is the genius in us who knows that the past is most definitely past, and therefore not forever sealed but forever open to creative reinterpretation."
p. 72.

[ADDED]: I now finished the book, it is loaded with nuggets. As you said, it is very different in style from, say, 'a guide to the good life'. What came to my mind yesterday was that that book is like the ERE book on liberty caps - it's like reading a book written by @Jacob in a parallel world (think @daylen's style of writing). It can make a lot of sense if you want it to, I think.

The month off - being off in where I live is super comfortable, and there is this option every two years so we are taking it. Call is a taste of part-time ERE or what not. In June and July the weather will be at least okay and hopefully glorious. I intend to read heaps, do gardening, swim in the river and maybe go for a trip somewhere. I am pretty aware that if I want to make more money I need to wander to another field, so I decided not to sweat it in this line of work and optimise for life quality.

Ah taste buds, I lost the salt battle with DW a while ago.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

On journaling

I had in mind doing monthly updates on the journal, but I might just have them a bit more frequently, perhaps every forthnight'ish.

On living arrangement

Where I live turns awesome. I am still in this old Victorian house on my own, i.e. with DW most of the time. Spring is in the door. Wi-fi is strong enough for me to come out on the patio and write from here. There are loads of lambs in the field just in front of me, view of the hills and forests, really nice. And yeah, days are getting longer, it is sunnier and warmer. It is going to be brilliant having one month off in June here. That being said, there is a plan to renovate the house so I brace myself for this unwelcomed info (I will need to be informed 28 days prior to it as I will likely need to relocate to some other accommodation). If that renovation happened after June, would be swell.

Having a housemate - I actually would not mind, it is a big house and two rooms upstairs are useless now. Unless it was a total temperamental mismatch. As it is now, there is space for one more person in the house. After the renovation it is going to be an HMO house which means there will be space for 4 people in total. Then it is when DW is going to officially move in I think (if we are still around at the community then, ha!).

On gardening / food

We grow salads and greens, herbs and flowers around the house, and experiment with carrots. There is also a 70 sq m patch we have in the huge beautiful walled garden and there will be peas, broadbeans and brasicas over there. I have interest in permaculture, but in fact what I am doing with growing food is I think just plain gardening. Double digging the garden but still growing in dirt. I did however bury some compost that still had bits of food visible in it (this is after reading Wheaton's book). So I am growing some of the food on this.

A year ago (in two days) we inoculated 8 logs with shiitake mushrooms after taking the Cornell Small Farms course on mushroom cultivation. Soon will be the time to shock them and see if there is any yield! We need a basin for shocking, I am systematically emptying a very big disused council bin that was around with old carpets, ruining the view. I just put bits of the carpet to a regular bin that council collects every two weeks. Nearly finished, actually today I think I will manage to finally empty it. Then we will use that big bin as a shocking basin for the logs.

Last year we tried growing Stropharia or Wine caps. On the patch, there is lots of mycelium but no fruiting bodies. The patch is very sun exposed. We took some of the mycelium and put around poor looking strawberries around the house, and covered this with sawdust. Apparently Stropharia is good at improving soil, so I hope for some synergy happening there.

We are yet to find Morels ☹

On bike touring

We went for a 8 day cycle touring trip around Scotland, back some week and a half ago. This was when non-essential travel was allowed but before it was possible to go to other council areas, so was kind of not in line with the guidelines of the time. But I thought, we go wild camping anyway and have super limited contact with anyone + both vacinated, so we went. It was really needed and refreshing! We saw some great hills, sea and Isles, views that made us cry.

8 days without a shower or a bath! And DW seemed to have been more comfortable with it than I. We had a long nice bath when back.
It was generally sunny but pretty cold with temperature at night dropping below 0 Celcius. A few days were pretty windy, particularly on two days there was a headwind of around 30 mph. Cycling with a headwind can be tough! Then on the 7th day I though we would reach home but with a 50mph side wind it just plain unsafe to cycle on the road with the panniers and all, so we had an emergency camp, ate all the food we had left, and arrived home the next day in the morning.

Around 300 miles for, say, 7.5 days gives roughly 40 miles / day. I’d say, with the head wind and low temps, pretty good.

On health

I am still curing the skin on my hands after the bike trip, it turned pretty dry because of the cold and stupidly I did not get an ointment I have from a doctor for it.

We have realised that the swollen face while camping is a result of dehydration. We did drink too little water during the trip, I think.

So maybe my body is hydrating to this day, because I am like, more ripped, haha. Anyway, after the trip I carried on doing my 200 burpees a day.
Also, the cycling trip reset my coffee drinking which is great.

On reading / Studying

I am tackling the ‘Economics in Context’, trying to write an assignment for it now. I already submitted the first one for ‘Essential Mathematics 2’ and got a 100%.

Aside from formal education, I have read

• ‘Finite and Infinite Games’ by Carse which I enjoyed. It’s definitely a generalist book. I hesitate to say there is a simple message that is just reiterated in many metaphors, because the metaphors are of various flavours and perhaps all bring some novelty to thinking about life. Like, I would like to say ‘ultimately, life is not a race’ could be a message of the book, but then I would not like someone to just take this message and forgo reading the book.

• Seneca’s ‘On the happy life’ and ‘On the tranquillity of the Mind’, and I will read ‘On the shortness of life’. This is basically following the list given by Irvine in his book ‘A guide to the good life’. I really enjoy reading this stuff. So I think getting more and more into these writings might just become a long term project of mine.

• I spend a good few hours going through Jordan Peterson thread on the forum and watching some youtube of him talking. Not my style, I am not going to be reading his books, I don’t think.

• I found on the forum a link to a website by David Chapman, who writes a book online about Meaningness .I read perhaps half of it. It is not really the time for me to spend a lot of time on this book now. I appreciate the basic tenets of meaning or lack thereof being nebulous and patterned, and of confused and complete stances. Chapman is a bit like a street philosopher, like ancient Greeks.

• Prompted by the thread about systems, I spent some time looking at the sociological theories of systems, something I read bits and bobs of years ago. This is a very different take from systems taken from the engineering perspective. With Chapmans’ musings in mind, I think this table could be made for systems in engineering | systems in post-modern social science | systems in ERE, respectively.

On money and financial affairs

With the four weeks of unpaid leave that we will have in June 2021, our basic outgoings will be slightly less than 20% of earnings, and in any case around 0.54 JAFI per person. We will spend more than that, but not more than 1 JAFI per person.

I tried to find the median world per capita income that I sometimes read about on the forum, but numbers on the internet wary wildly so I am not very sure what to follow / if to follow anything. Anyway, the money is fine. A while ago I have settled that for more money, I will need to change line of work.

We are putting some cash away to a first property / retirement account that pays a bonus for each deposit but has virtually non-existent ROI. I found a calculator for checking out the effective ROI for it, it goes like this (in %):

1 year: 14.2/annum
2 years: 10.3/annum
3 years: 8.137/annum
4 years: 6.773/annum
5 years: 5.814/annum
6 years: 5.101/annum
7 years: 4.547/annum
8 years: 4.104/annum

I don’t mind keeping it until the circumstances are so that we will want to get a property.

DW got herself a new (second hand) phone which is the highest outgoing expense in our time together, at about $670. I am then getting her phone, and a relative gets my phone.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Economics in Context

I am trotting along to get a second assignment done. I realised I don't like the style of the course that very much, to many exclamation marks in the textbook. Anyway, the content is okay and really a pretty good start to learning about economics, I think I will be able to build on this. Maybe I will tackle Man Economy and State in the future, I had one attempt in the past but got distracted.

Tackling distractions

I notice there are so many distractions it is super difficult for me to do a bigger project. Say, the project is 'read X, Y, Z of stoics' (I kind of had an aim like this) but then I found myself getting the book about mental models by Gabriel Weinberg and am now halfway through it. I mean, it can turn useful but I feel a bit sad I don't manage to follow the aim. Also, have some catching up to do with the OU courses because I spend a lot of time on the forum recently.

I don't know how to approach this.

Health

Still healing the skin on my hand after the cycling trip in the cold weather. I am now using aloe vera and a moisturising cream I get from my GP. I am not 100% convinced it works but the skin does not get worse. I might try a steroid cream for a few days to thin the skin (that is really the problem is that the skin got quite thick, it is not disturbing otherwise) and then carry on with the moisturiser.

On the upside, I have no dandruff. I am no poo for a few months now, but still had dandruff until I shaved the hair off. It grew back now but still no dandruff.

After the cycling trip I was happy to resume coffee drinking but after a few days of being back to coffee I decided to not drink it for now.

Gardening

There are loads of seedlings on our window sills. That being said, it was white from snow this morning, in May! I think the last frost will be in a week or two, and then we will transplant.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Yesterday DW asked me what would I do if work became much worse than it is, and essentially unbearable. With no hesitation I told her that I would just quit, no worries at all. This is just such a great feeling. I mean, at this (poorly paid) work, 3 to 4 months of work fund my year. Sky is the limit, really. I even chatted about it with my mum and pop recently, 'you know, maybe I will just work a few months a year and then visit you for some time, and then parents-in-law for some time, then escape European winter for some place warmer'. Dad is going to retire next year in October and mum took a conventional early retirement at 57 IIRC, I could team up with them hah. Very glad to have good relations with my folks.

The thing is though, it's not like I have reached any FI goal, the confidence comes from elsewhere. Maybe from years of experimenting with living on barely any money, or maybe from working a blue collar job that is abundant and actually meaningful, though can be tiring. Having a good worry-free sleep? Not sure, but I feel pretty good.

I got a salary increase in line with inflation and a $700 (gross) covid bonus. next month I will be on an unpaid leave for a month though.

Still going strong with Maths and Stats, just finishing intro to stats and will have a maths101 exam in June. I am rocking it, have the best grades ever. I think distance learning and not needing to meet all these people works well for me, or maybe its just that it is maths and not social sciences.

We planted many sunflowers outside, lets see if they are going to make it. Wild rabbits ate our spinach so we put a fence up. We are thinking about eating the rabbits, or pheasants. I have been watching videos of https://charlesdowding.co.uk this guy about no dig, where I am at £60 builder bag of seaweed compost would make a 7 square meters bed.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

An awesome update! Glad to hear about the peace of mind you've found, and that the maths is working out and you've stuck with it! It's paying back in feelings of satisfaction and mastery. Nice!

Western Red Cedar

Post by Western Red Cedar »

Nice update! Best of luck with the garden.
guitarplayer wrote:
Sun May 23, 2021 12:02 pm
Yesterday DW asked me what would I do if work became much worse than it is, and essentially unbearable. With no hesitation I told her that I would just quit, no worries at all. This is just such a great feeling.

The thing is though, it's not like I have reached any FI goal, the confidence comes from elsewhere.
My DW works in the same field and I can understand the stressors. Very important and fulfilling work, but very challenging.

We are in a similar position. She is ready to join me for some extended slow travel. Not at FI, but confident that we can take a break, live simply but well, and pick up other opportunities in the future.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Thanks @ertyu, yup feels good these days. By the way I have a bird nest in my garden shed, I think the mum is sitting on the eggs now because she does not move at all when I go to get bikes, wheelbarrows etc. DW tells me that the hubby comes sometimes with food. It's a sort of black bird, don't know what species.

Thanks @WRC, my living room turns into a jungle, we were waiting with transplanting because of late last frosts here in the hills. Runner beans in particular with those huge leaves. Re job, DW and I definitely have a much easier time dealing with the people we care for than co-workers! I really love that these guys fake absolutely nothing, such role models in this respect. That being said, it can be draining at times.

From other things, we had some St George's Mushrooms recently, just on the path 5 min away from home. St George's Mushrooms are great with their earthy flavour. Everything is super late this year with cold weather, and I think this might explain why out shiitake logs did not give fruit yet, I hope anyway. I am going to shock some logs this or next week and see what happens.

We just went for a 101.2 km cycle today. Passed by one water reservoir and through a pretty and remote glen. I have a butterfly handlebar and no back problems, but DW has a dropped handlebar and usually gets back pain from around 60-70 km mark. I am trying to find out how to fix this, I rotated the handlebar some degrees up and am experimenting with the saddle moving back or forth. If anyone has any ideas about what could be tried, give me a shout please!

Gilberto de Piento

Post by Gilberto de Piento »

Some ideas, random order:
- Get the back stronger.
- Move the stem up the steerer tube if there are spacers above it to displace.
- Flip the stem if it is angled down.
- Buy a stem that is shorter and/or angled up more
- Bars with less drop (affects drop position only)
- A different frame or bike if it is too big
- If you have a frame that is too big and the stem is already as short as possible and the seat is as forward as possible, get an angled seat post and point it forward (a bit of a last resort solution)
- Advil or similar before it starts to hurt
- Make sure you have enough water, food, electrolytes

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

@GdP thanks for the advises. The frame is seemingly perfect size, I measured DW's inseam though and found out that the saddle was over an inch (3.5cm) too low, really the lowest possible. I guess it was out of the desire to have the centre of weight lower down. So I adjusted the seat, and also flipped the stem upwards. Lets see if it is going to make a difference, have a feeling that the low saddle was a big one.

Mushroom stories

I found dryad's saddle recently and cooked it with butter, salt and pepper. I like it much better than the more popular oyster mushrooms.

DW is propagating mycelium of oysters and lion's mane on brown rice. The oyster jar got contaminated with mould, so for the past two weeks we have been watching the battle between green mould and oyster mushrooms mycelium, exciting stuff. The lion's mane is happily fruiting in the jar, think of someone' s face against a window.

We have a patch of Stropharia from last year, it is full of mycelium but no fruiting bodies. We planted it in the full sun which is not ideal for it. A few days back we planted runner beans on top, in hope of them providing some shade and us getting wine caps.

Now that it is warmer, I shocked a log with shiitake, hope third time lucky as the first two ones did not give fruit. Admittedly, 2-3 weeks ago it was still pretty cold and near freezing at night.

Gardening

It finally got warmer here so we transplanted most things outside. They are shocked now and not growing much. We have like 20 sunflowers around because DW got excited the seeds we saved from last year nearly all germinated.

Fixing my bike's tire

I have a hole in my back tire, like 2mm cut. Stuff, mostly glass, gets through the cut and punctures my inner tubes, definitely more often than desired. Today I got an old tire from a wheelbarrow and cut out a wee piece; then superglued it on the inside of my bike tire, sanded a bit to get rid of the sharp edges and chalked around so the inner tube does not stick to the superglue. Also swapped the tire from back to front where there is less weight put on it. I wonder how it is going to work.

Covid

Apparently for the first time UK registered 0 deaths within 28 days from catching covid. People at work are more cheerful. Travelling abroad still requires tests on both sides of the borders, I hear that they are about 100$ each, so I will pass for now. Plenty of beauty in the UK for this summer.

The Stoic Challenge

I am reading this book now, the author writes that it is fusion of philosophy and psychology. I like it much better than the CBT stuff I was reading at uni.

Money

Money keeps on piling up.

basuragomi

Post by basuragomi »

I would recommend tire liners, at least on your rear tire. I went from a flat every three months to one every three years with them. The additional material not only guards against penetration, but also keeps punctures through the tire smaller than they would be otherwise which helps everything last longer.

guitarplayer

Post by guitarplayer »

Thanks basuragomi, never thought of this but of course such product must have existed. Is this a stick-on or possible to more from one tire to another? Will be soon changing tires anyway as these are quite worn off being 4+ years old so might get it for the new ones.

Coincidental update: We finally got some wine caps from the patch inoculated last year! They are huge, heavy and tasty, and stain the cutting board red which explains their name in a whole new way. We planted runner beans over them about a week ago, so maybe this disruption made them panic and fruit, or maybe that we then watered them big time, or the heatwave of the last few days. It was though a nice feeling to find them there!

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

awesome mushrooms