Daylen's Instinctual Dump

Where are you and where are you going?
daylen

Daylen's Instinctual Dump

Post by daylen »

Eh why not?

I am not sure what this is or what it can become. The only rules are that I will not write anything down if it requires more than a few seconds worth of thought and that edits can only be used to correct grammar.

This is the weeds and if you are afraid of complexity and confusion, then reading my unfiltered thoughts will likely not help your anxiety. My thought process is extremely scattered and convoluted. Fair warning.

Motivation for such energy expenditure is not straightforward since it is partially experimental. Though, sometimes I wish to compare current thoughts with past thoughts and such an outlet facilitates this.

Sometimes my thoughts are generated from the heap and sometimes from the stack. Locally, nothing may seem related; globally, everything cycles around a few core recurring themes of life, death, identity, purpose, etc.. Where most people seem to have an elaborate external network connecting them to other humans and institutions, I have an elaborate inner world of thought mosaics. Partially, my thoughts are easily translated into complete sentences; partially, my thoughts are fractal-like sensations; partially, my thoughts are fractal-like sensations mapped to abstract symbols or atomic ideas.

While engaged in repetitive behavioral patterns my thoughts are typically more heap like. After a certain degree of comfort is achieved doing these tasks I began to build muscle memory complexes that can then allow me to attach or fit symbols to it. This can result in a state where it feels as if my working memory or awareness of the current moment has been enhanced. In these moments, previously isolated islands of thought are reintegrated once again, and I enter into frequency space where time itself is inverted. In this space, I only see superimposed iterations across all of time as I have experienced it thus far.

I have experimented with my state of mind by using drugs, forgoing basic needs/desires, acting out, and completely immersing myself in alternative realities with no escape in sight. I have been a man, a woman, a father, a mother, a child, a joker, a wizard, a fly, an octopus, a bird, a cell, a god, and so forth. There has nearly always been a sub-conscious drive to be everything and a desire to be nothing but an observer. This is just one of several internal conflicts that I have overcome or at least gotten use to.

Not much seems to surprise or excite me to the extent that it completely debilitates me. I still have such emotions, but they are always in the background and never consume me. That is, unless I purposely trigger an episode for experimental purposes with the support of sensory deprivation or drugs. In my youth, I was not impulsive, but I did reflect on such emotions internally to the point that I would forget about any obligations, needs, and desires. A state I am all too familiar with, where no pain or pleasure existed. Now I am at a point where I have retained emotional control without completely discounting it. I am more balanced and flexible in this regard.

-----------

There are several instinctual mosaics that an agent can stumble upon during their development of agency. Wittgenstein describes these as holes in the ground that you learn to walk around. Russell talked of a river that continually erodes the sides until merging with the ocean. Yet, until the holes and river banks are 'discovered', they may as well not exist. Immediately following their discovery they become the outlines of our objects. After living with them for a while they do not fade, but instead start to trigger less frequently relative to everything else that we have discovered.

We are born with many of these instinctual mosaics or mental forms that are devoid of any single representation. A construction of symbols that link to these forms and the operations between such symbols is not unique. Yet, there is clearly something to be said for the apparent determinism present in our reality where different constructions tend to converge given enough communication. Complete convergence never seems to last as eventually an antithesis emerges in what appears to be a restoration to the natural balance of all things. Prolonged periods of stability can be found in systems that form either interdependence or interindependence.

Both complete information and no information is unstable. In other words, too much communication is just as likely to break a relationship as too little. The right and left hemispheres of our brain appear to follow such a principle, and the consequences of an imbalance of this system is well-documented.

It may be said that personality or the innate self is the collective mental form or collection of instinctual mosaics we are born with. In a constructive-developmental model, the self or personality may be something that grows, yet I think a more consistent view is that personality is strictly qualitative and agency itself is subject to growth and decay. Hence, the self is not something that is constructed but something that is discovered. It is a constraint that can only be managed with an increase in internal completeness and consistency. Complexity is relative, yet we all seem to have an intuition that internal and external nuisances are mirrored to a certain extent.

Then again, any talk of mutual exclusivity is ripe for cornering an agent into a conceptual trap that will eventually rip. Dropping the agent into the pit of snakes such a dichotomy was created to avoid.

-------

That is enough for today. This is a decent typing exercise.
Last edited by daylen on Wed Feb 26, 2020 10:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jason

Re: Daylen's Instinctual Dump

Post by Jason »

My best friend in college took too much acid and spoke like this. His father had the worse toupee imaginable. Last I heard he was a Wiccan and his father was dead.

Riggerjack

Post by Riggerjack »

Well I am excited.

Sometimes, reading your posts feels like a blended word salad. (Pot, meet kettle... :oops: ) but sometimes I crack the code for a few posts, and it's brilliant!

I had the same problem translating 7w5, but now her intent is far clearer and easier. Of course, she posts more (more samples, on more subjects, makes translation easier) and I think your process is much farther from English compositional norms.

I'm looking forward to more.

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

This will be interesting. Keep it coming.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Selecting from topics mentioned in comments along with anything else that comes to mind.. here I go.

Loosely bouncing off Jason and Riggerjack: psychedelics and coding are hobbies of mine.

Psychedelics
Two years ago I went on a six month psychedelic sabbatical were I tripped twice a week on average (LSD, psilocybin, DMT).

WARNING: YOU SHOULD ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT DO THIS

I am fairly anxiety-resistant, and I still ended up having what a psychiatrist would call a mental break. I literally went into fight or flight mode and got stuck there for nearly 24 hours. The scariest day of my life. I ended up having to meditate like a monk for hours just to break out of the thought loop induced from skyline anxiety levels. Probably aged a few months per hour.

You can learn a lot from psychedelics, but eventually, you overstay your welcome. Exploring the deep recesses of the mind is all fine and dandy until our unconscious rebels. You see, complete self information is not achievable and reaching for it is dangerous. Narratives are deconstructed and reconstructed over and over until something breaks the cycle. Eventually, you must accept that any narrative is flawed and the flaws compound when narratives stack together, yet without the stacks there are no measuring sticks. Without a measuring stick, there are no objects or ideas. Neither possibility nor probability can exist in this state.

We have an innate grammar that can only be seen via the implementation of parsing algorithms. These are executed automatically after learning a language in early youth, but during a psychotic break these parsing machines break. Paragraphs can no longer be delineated into sentences; and sentences can no longer be delineated into a series of words, because all possible delineations seem equally plausible.

Coding and Mathematics
I am starting to love programming for its own sake. I am still a bit amateurish, but I am rapidly gaining competence and plan to become a developer. Over the last five years or so I have been beating around the bush, learning about theory without much hands-on experience (rebelling against stereotype I suppose). Everything is falling into place now that I am actually aiming for the bulls-eye.

It is quite clear to me at this point that I was essentially born to code. Coming up with ideas is easy; all I have to do now is develop the muscle memory required to see them through. Currently engaged in several angles of attack:
1. coding puzzles spanning number theory, combinatorics, graph theory, and potentially category theory
2. data analysis (minus ML for now) on world-wide demographic, geographic, and financial data
3. simulations/games based in the far future

I could use a bit of help on the last one with realism. The scenario is based on what the arctic circle will be like after glaciers melt, sea levels raise, and human populations migrate. I read the book "Hot Earth Dreams" mentioned by Jacob, but it is still a bit hard to imagine what society might be like during the high altithermal. There is a whole lot of research to do. Anyway, if you expand your imagination enough then it is plausible that city-states could emerge in the arctic and trade routes could be established once the ocean clears. The western and eastern worlds would cluster in Canada and Siberia along with Greenland, Iceland, and the Canadian archipelago.

Society would be heavily based on ships. Metal would be rare and technology would be very rare. Ventures into more inhospitable areas of the globe would be risky with huge upside potential. Hence, pirates would be a thing again! Who doesn't love pirates! Furthermore, combat would be essentially medieval with an extremely limited supply of modern equipment. I already have an idea on how this scenario can be made into a strategy game. I would start in 2D with minimal mechanics and work my way up. It would likely be grand-strategy where you manage cities, fleets, and voyages. Maybe turn based like Civ.

daylen

Post by daylen »

daylen wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:13 pm
...Eventually, you must accept that any narrative is flawed and the flaws compound when narratives stack together, yet without the stacks there are no measuring sticks. Without a measuring stick, there are no objects or ideas. Neither possibility nor probability can exist in this state.

We have an innate grammar that can only be seen via the implementation of parsing algorithms. These are executed automatically after learning a language in early youth, but during a psychotic break these parsing machines break. Paragraphs can no longer be delineated into sentences; and sentences can no longer be delineated into a series of words, because all possible delineations seem equally plausible.
Here is a better explanation that poses an open question (as far as I am aware). The culprit is not uniform sampling but chaos. Is there a way to model psychic phenomenon using a recurrence relation? This briefly enables a state where (instead of delineation schemes being equally plausible) the bifurcations induced from parsing are aperiodic or unstable given some flow rate (of thoughts). Of course, this assumes that the flow of thoughts through time is linear which requires the assumption that the brain has at least two poles. Perhaps these poles could simply be the left and right hemispheres. Another option is that the limbic system or DMN represent a single pole branching out to many cortical poles.

Ti or introverted thinking feeds thoughts back into new thoughts, so it would explain why Ti types are more susceptible to schizophrenic-like behavior.

--------

Also, very hard to not think for more than a few seconds while writing, so that is just a rule of thumb to help me actually write. Rephrasing for accuracy is a hard reflex to shake for INTP's.

daylen

Post by daylen »

Appears that conditions involving longer periods without parsing disruptions (e.g. bipolar disorder and depression) are based on chaos induced in the hemispheric communication channel, and conditions involving shorter periods with parsing disruptions (e.g. schizophrenia) are based on chaos induced on tree-like structures with several cortical poles.

This would not require a change in processing speed, but only a change in the spanning tree emanating from the limbic system. May help explain why schizophrenia emerges near the climax of our major mental development period since the major pathways are more challenging to alter thereafter (leading to chronic mental instability). Also could explain why predisposed agents (as far as we know) can be triggered into this state with psychedelics.

Jason

Post by Jason »

daylen wrote:

Psychedelics
Two years ago I went on a six month psychedelic sabbatical were I tripped twice a week on average (LSD, psilocybin, DMT).

WARNING: YOU SHOULD ALMOST CERTAINLY NOT DO THIS
Almost?

I knew two people who went on sustained acid trips - one accidentally and once purposefully and they were not the same. And by not the same I mean two thumbs fucked all the way up. And I remember sitting in a packed auditorium listening to Timothy Leary and thinking this motherfucker is more fried than an egg left on Laura Dern's exposed butt cheek while she's lying down on a Texas sidewalk in the middle of a fucking August Sunday at high noon.

I mean, in all due respect, I read your posts and hear the voice of the computer in Space Odyssey. No offense.

daylen

Post by daylen »

@Jason None taken.

---------

Another interesting note is that since the DMN likely represents Ni (i.e. the latticework)(*), and that Ti represents the resolution of cortical poles... high Ti relative to Ni corresponds to decreased behavioral regulation (suggested by the model yet obvious via observation).

(*) Monitoring the [projected] origin node of the spanning tree connecting the cortex allows for rapid comparison of different cortical paths and their response time. Thereby allowing the NN equivalent of a Fourier transform to be executed and applied to behavior modulation. May also be related to the endocannabinoid system.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

@daylen how do the experiences of your trips change who you are when sober? what have you learned and how have you changed as a result that will stay with you? both good and bad

daylen

Post by daylen »

@ertyu Excellent questions. First off, a brief disclaimer that I think psychedelics affect everyone differently as Jason's anecdotes have made clear. ;)

Not only does personality play a role but also maturity. It is probable that if I had waited until 30 to do psychedelics (I am 24 now), then my opinion on them would be quite different. Yet, I still get the sense that there are a few general themes consistent across all types.

First off, there have been no long term physical effects. Also, my base personality has not changed (INTP), but I feel as if I have changed significantly as a human overall because of psychedelics. For good or bad is up to you to decide, but I do not regret my experiences. Here is an exhaustive list along with some context. I want to be thorough given the taboo nature of this topic.

Controlling Anxiety and Bodily Awareness
Psychedelics forced my psyche into situations that would be extremely challenging [and probably physically dangerous] to evoke sober. During an intense experience, it can feel as if time has slowed to a halt and you are going to die (near death experiences). This is not something you can prepare for or understand until it happens to you. I should also note that what people may call "bad trips" are what I believe to be the most important trips. I would not say that I ever had a bad trip. Instead, I would say that some trips were more challenging than others just as some mountains are more challenging to climb than others. Why climb a mountain in the first place if you do not want a challenge? This is how I feel about psychedelics. Repeating what I said above: almost no one should put themselves through what I did - just as almost no one should climb 30+ mountains. Yet, I think reality is a bit more interesting with some people going through extraordinary struggles.

These more challenging trips forced me to develop techniques for controlling anxiety, and I have retained such techniques. These techniques have been used for thousands of years (as far as we know) and do not require psychedelics to learn, but psychedelics can definitely accelerate this learning process. It is quite hard to explain how they work because it mostly has to do with an enhanced awareness of bodily sensations and their meaning. Understanding why your body feels a certain way allows you to manage it better. Simple as that, yet challenging to master.

Grey Areas and Conceptual Fuzziness
Visuals are definitely over hyped. If you want to know what they are like then look it up on YouTube. What is not talked about so much is how psychedelics affect our perception of concepts. Before taking psychedelics I graduated with a B.S. in Mathematics so I was already a nerd, but psychedelics expanded my view of what knowledge itself is and how humans learn in general. The simplest way to explain this is that I started thinking more in patterns than with facts. Particulars or facts themselves were discounted in favor of focusing on how they where constructed and chained. There was also a lasting separation between the contents of my thoughts and who I saw myself as. My identity was reconfigured instead around how I think.

Concepts that previously appeared white and black (i.e. could only be switched on or off) now had shades of grey. This allows for concepts to be combined in ways previously unimaginable. In addition, mental barricades that would once stop me in my tracks were removed so that I could think freely. An analogy is a hiker that has been freed from the usual trails to explore the vast wilderness.

Also note that INTP's are already known to be tolerant of mental ambiguity, but I was still able to open my mind in ways previously inconceivable. Before, I was already partially accustomed to patterns and generalities, but after psychedelics my thought process went through a whole new transformation. I am not even sure how it works because it happens subconsciously. All I know is that when I look back to how I thought before, it is obviously different in kind (not degree). I believe this to be essentially the transition from Kegan4 to Kegan5, but I also think this transition has been very unstable for me over the last two years because I am so young. My Kegan4 frame had not quite matured and psychedelics forced me to break it down until some kind of dialectic emerged. The nature of which I still do not understand.

Unconscious Access, Empathy, and Memories
Being an INTP, my stack looks a bit like this: Ti Ne Si Fe - Te Ni Se Fi

The first four are conscious and the latter four are unconscious (most of the time). This is simply because I prefer to use the former and they are exclusive to the latter (in real time). Psychedelics allowed me to act as if I preferred the latter for extended periods of time. These episodes stayed with me as memories so that now I can appreciate my unconscious half more. They have also taught me about when and where I should be aware of these functions.

As an example, Fi is my most repressed function. This function has to do with preference awareness and empathy. It is an interested calculus(*) that considers how the self fits or does not fit into any given situation. Psychedelics greatly enhanced not only my ability to experience emotions but also expanded my emotional tool set. It allowed me to cry for the first time since I was 12. It taught me what real anger and hate were. Before psychedelics, I had either been completely passive or just mirroring the emotions of others (Fe). During psychedelic trips I would put myself in other peoples shoes for prolonged periods of time. For instance, I watched the extended Lord of the Rings trilogy on 300 mics and it is now one of the most memorable days of my life. I felt all the ups and downs of each character in each moment; from the Shire to the boat leaving middle earth. This is just one of several adventures that I will keep with me for life. They are my insurance that I am alive and this reality is worth struggling through.

(*) As opposed to a disinterested calculus (Ti) which is my primary state.

I will also never forget when I tripped with my cousin and another time with my mom. I did not develop a love for every living thing as some people claim (I think this is actually an insult to those close to you), but it did strengthen my love to those who are consistently a part of my life.

---------

That basically sums it up.
Last edited by daylen on Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

So roughly speaking, "tripping" (I don't know the vernacular) allowed you to experience the normal state of an INTJ? Specifically, a state where Ni is dominant? <insert exclamation>, that beats tourism.

I'm curious as to whether the original [INTP] framework was brought along and how that would affect the experience. IOW, was the INTJ stack experienced from the INTP perspective ... or was it more of a blend where previously non-dominant functions from way down the stack were brought up to equilibrium?

(This is interesting to me because I usually test INTj and pretty close to X on judging/perceiving. I'm aware that this is supposed to be theoretically impossible. FWIW, I see MBTI in terms of the various functions and personality type in terms of how they generally dominate and sort out. I can identify with aspects of INTJ, INTP, ISTJ, ENTJ, ISTP, and INFJ... in roughly that order.)

daylen

Post by daylen »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 1:11 pm
So roughly speaking, "tripping" (I don't know the vernacular) allowed you to experience the normal state of an INTJ?
That is what it felt like and how I remember it now. During which, access to how I previously thought as an INTP was repressed. This was out of necessity since the INTP frame was what forced me into the thought loops to begin with (these INTJ-like moments coincided with moments of extreme anxiety). These moments were also where I felt the most like something other than what I had ever been. In other words, INTJ is the second most relatable personality type now. The third is likely INFP which was mirrored to a lesser extent via Frodo in LoTR.

It did not really feel as if my INTP frame was there at all or that I had achieved any kind of equilibrium. Keep in mind that during these moments it was difficult for me to parse a sentence as simple as "Today I had a sandwich for lunch.", therefore I did not even bring along my default semantic structure. Te was lacking since the only apparent objective was to not return back to the anxiety inducing INTP state. It felt like a pure Ni state where I could see what felt like my whole life represented with fractal-like, 3D, dynamic structures with points as memories (which was much more intense when I closed my eyes).

I can still access this state to a lesser degree sober following moments of nostalgia. The best way I have found to trigger it is by going on walks since I also went on walks while tripping (all in Lawrence, KS).

daylen

Post by daylen »

Actually, the ISTP frame is probably second but it is not sufficiently different enough for me to discriminate it if that makes sense. This is related to how I like to think of the introverted functions as the actual frame and extroverted functions as channels through which frames are altered. Hence, I can use both Se and Ne to modify Ti but it is still the same frame essentially.

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

These days I definitely prefer to speak in terms of functions rather than types because function-variables are more flexible^H^H^H^H..fundamental than type-variables. So rather than identifying by type, I'd much prefer to think about about one's preferred, important, or defining functions and how well one understands them. MBTI is about preference, but Kegan is more about one's maturity in integrating them with oneself and other people. Thus considering them absolutes (as skills) seem more useful than considering them relative (like MBTI). So more maturity => more type identification. IOW, empathy goes up.

Perhaps this is due to getting older and getting more experience with otherwise non-dominant functions or even shadow functions. It sounds like drugs of various kinds may depress some functions and allow others to surface. I question whether drugs will actually enhance functions. However, from my experience, caffeine enhances Te, whereas alcohol depresses Te while bringing up Fe.

The Ni construct of "fractal-like, 3D, dynamic structures with points as memories" sounds cool but it's pretty much the default [in my head] and therefore unremarkable(*). For example, I don't see it as 3D... it could be anyD ... or fractal ... the depth of pattern repetition don't necessarily span infinite magnitudes ... (perhaps that's your Ti interpreting?). Ti thinking drives me up the wall. I've never been good at it. I've always had to "cheat" by going Ni->Te->Ti which---to put it mildly---is fucking exhausting to me and---the Te interpretation---is the reason why. My math professors told me that I held some promise... but only insofar I cleaned up my act. (I paraphrase a lot here in order to make the point.) From my perspective, I didn't see the need to prove [from my perspective] irrelevant exceptions just to cover my bases when those cases "would never happen". A wiser-younger me would have changed my minor-major from math to CS. In contrast, when I TA'ed math majors (and presumably Ti's), I told them the opposite: "Uh yeah, ... but since electrons are negative and we know the exact charge to 5+ digits, you don't have to prove the irrelevantly exhaustive cases.."

Keep in mind that I likely upped my Ti-absolutes based on my math-ish background. I'm a few credits short of a BSc in math. Mostly due to being pigheaded and also an idiot during my early twenties. I'm not innately good at mathematics (Ti). I do do calculation (Si) very well .. and I can also intuit the result of a given equation (Ni) rather well. Yet a fully [and to me exasperatingly] complete framework (Ti) doesn't matter to me.

(*) Conversely, I see Ti as a "brilliant crystal of abstract theorems and principles that unconsciously does what I have to do deliberately with Te(?)". A more solid but also less flexible version of reality. The trade-off is between ease and flexibility. Anxiety and efficacy if you will!?

daylen

Post by daylen »

jacob wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:46 pm
The Ni construct of "fractal-like, 3D, dynamic structures with points as memories" sounds cool but it's pretty much the default [in my head] and therefore unremarkable(*). For example, I don't see it as 3D... it could be anyD ... or fractal ... the depth of pattern repetition don't necessarily span infinite magnitudes ... (perhaps that's your Ti interpreting?).
Definitely my Ti interpreting, but also involves a heavy dose of Fe. What went through my head when I wrote that is more along the lines of "How will others interpret this? (more Fe)" as opposed to "Is this description sufficiently accurate for reconstruction? (more Ti)". Plus it sounds cool. :)

Also, from my perspective, this is my narrative about how this state was different from a typical INTP state, so it must be sufficiently delineated from it to have any meaning [to me]. Now days I suppose I can interject Ni bits into my default Ti processing that do not fit that description, but it would be hard for me to say exactly when Ti stops and Ni begins unless it is obvious (hence has layers of self-replication and seems like more than just a picture). I say fractal-like to avoid the infinite concern.

Your comment about having to access Ti through Te is paralleled to me having to access Ni through Ne and Si. Hence why nostalgia tends to trigger Ni for me. Ti -> ( Ne <-> Si ) -> Ni where the middle part is used to generate a set of memories until an apparent topological structure emerges (Ni). As you say, the topology does not necessarily need to have self-similar layers or be three-dimensional.

Another interesting note is that if I focus on Si data in the moment (body sensations), then this topology can be piggy-backed on to help induce a more vivid Ni state. This also parallels your experience in the sense that it takes a lot of energy, so I do not do it that often. It can be a bit refreshing or insightful at times, though.

I agree with that description of Ti at the end. Another way to phrase it is that Ti keeps track of pointers and Te keeps track of operations. The former focusing on high noun resolution and the latter focusing on high verb resolution. Ti just knows how to say something so that others will do the work, but it cannot tell you how to get the work done. For example, if I were teaching someone about integrals I would start off by generating drawings (Si -> Se), then I would likely ask them what they thought the drawing represented (Fe -> Ti). After which I could use their Ti and my Ne to generate [possibly several] descriptions of what an integral is, so that their updated Ti could inform a Te solution to integration problems.

That was a bit convoluted, but basically I would help them understand the question as opposed to the solution. Forming a procedural solution that anyone can follow is hard for me.

Not sure about the flexibility part. I think Ti and Te are flexible in their own ways. That is, they both have their own degrees of freedom. The trouble word for me there is 'reality', because I think Ti users are more likely to be sympathetic with idealism. Ti deals with the subjective pointers of reality as opposed to reality itself. It is hard for me to see trade-offs in general, so this is likely due to my underdeveloped Te.
Last edited by daylen on Mon Oct 12, 2020 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

daylen

Post by daylen »

CS is interesting because it is somewhere between math and physics, so INTP's nor INTJ's dominate. It requires quickly picking up new representations and utilizing a wide array of data structures, while simultaneously requiring the development of effective procedures using such representations. Do you think that developing Ti more has helped you understand computers and coding better? Such as an enhanced ability to intuit what data structures should be used in a given context? When thinking computationally, does Ni and Ti seem to blur together for you?

Developing Ni has definitely helped me understand physics beyond just the classical school. GR, QM, and SM make much more sense now. Where do you think statistical mechanics fits into a 'theory of everything'? I have this intuition that SM forms the most independent and complete bridge between 'reality' and 'theory'.. whatever that means. It seems to be the language most apt at concisely setting and describing the boundaries of what can be known (i.e. a foundation for epistemology).
Last edited by daylen on Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jean

Post by Jean »

daylen wrote:

I could use a bit of help on the last one with realism. The scenario is based on what the arctic circle will be like after glaciers melt, sea levels raise, and human populations migrate. I read the book "Hot Earth Dreams" mentioned by Jacob, but it is still a bit hard to imagine what society might be like during the high altithermal. There is a whole lot of research to do. Anyway, if you expand your imagination enough then it is plausible that city-states could emerge in the arctic and trade routes could be established once the ocean clears. The western and eastern worlds would cluster in Canada and Siberia along with Greenland, Iceland, and the Canadian archipelago.

Society would be heavily based on ships. Metal would be rare and technology would be very rare. Ventures into more inhospitable areas of the globe would be risky with huge upside potential. Hence, pirates would be a thing again! Who doesn't love pirates! Furthermore, combat would be essentially medieval with an extremely limited supply of modern equipment. I already have an idea on how this scenario can be made into a strategy game. I would start in 2D with minimal mechanics and work my way up. It would likely be grand-strategy where you manage cities, fleets, and voyages. Maybe turn based like Civ.
I spent quite some time playig with this idea in my youth, but today, i grew so lazy that the only impulse i get is to ask you if you'de enjoy to play some ckii or endless legend. (i really like the aestechics (music, artworks) in amplitude games)

daylen

Post by daylen »

@Jean, I would love to! I have heard of those but not played. I typically go though a period of around two weeks where I get really into a game then tend to get bored, but some games such as civ are sufficiently complex to be replayed every few months. Also, I have gained more of an appreciation for aesthetics over time. Which do you think I would like better?

jacob
Site Admin

Post by jacob »

So now that you have my attention ... I agree with everything so far and just seek to extend/extemporize ...
daylen wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 pm
I agree with that description of Ti at the end. Another way to phrase it is that Ti keeps track of pointers and Te keeps track of operations. The former focusing on high noun resolution and the latter focusing on high verb resolution. Ti just knows how to say something so that others will do the work, but it cannot tell you how to get the work done.
#FML Te via Ni is if anything highly baitable. Ni achieving a Te solution is like crack cocaine. Like motivating an engineer by saying that "I bet nobody can figure this out." It can become "too much" though.
daylen wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 pm
That was a bit convoluted, but basically I would help them understand the question as opposed to the solution. Forming a procedural solution that anyone can follow is hard for me.
The Ni way would be research random stuff and then once the deadline came up, work the Te (at significant cost) to turn it into some coherent picture while pretending that this was what one was going for all along. (IOW, the scientific method is bullshit and functionally operates rather iteratively. Or rather at least, it less straightforward than generally stated.)