Axel Heyst's Journal

Where are you and where are you going?
RoamingFrancis

Re: Axel Heyst's Journal

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Glad you haven't touched your stash. I'm curious to see what strategy you come up with to address your current situation.

I'm probably due for a long and detailed journal update myself. Until then, peace!

RoamingFrancis

Post by RoamingFrancis »

Unfortunately most of our ideal goals are illegal in most areas
https://www.amazon.com/Everything-Want- ... 0963810952

Reminds me of this book (which I haven't read)

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:12 pm
We just get dissatisfied with our circumstances, and try somewhere else.
Interesting, I always thought this feeling was a major part of what defines me as someone who does like to travel.

AxelHeyst

Post by AxelHeyst »

Hmm. Touche, c_L. Maybe I do like "travel", which for me means "meander off to somewhere else every 3-9 months". Most people who enjoy travel do so from some sort of home base from which they can recharge. I haven't felt like I really had a home base that was "mine" since late 2015, and that was just a hellaciously expensive apartment in the SF Bay Area. It suspect it's the home-base-less-ness that is getting old - and this was compounded by the stress of jamming FT work in to a rootless lifestyle. To your point, I'm far from convinced that I'd enjoy being planted any more. The idea of being in one place for basically 12 months a year is somewhat terrifying.

--
Building Spare Capacity
https://www.scotthyoung.com/blog/?ck_su ... =389165773
^Scott Young just dropped this today. tl;dr = free up time and energy in your life, do more stuff you actually want to do. I'm starting to drop in to this lifestyle, having 4/5'd my work obligations, and am discovering it's not a linear change to my life. I feel like I'm moving in to a very qualitatively different sort of arrangement. What I'm viewing myself as capable of now is more than 4/5's greater than what I thought I was capable of before.

This has to do with the difference of what you can do with a full life-energy tank vs. a depleted life-energy tank.

I've started to build a morning routine:
Wake up, drink 16oz water with salt and lime, go for a short bike ride/walk/trail run, do bodyweight strength exercises, do yoga, cold shower, breakfast, sit down with coffee to draw for 60-120 minutes. I keep my phone and computer off until after this is all done.

As I'm out of shape, I'm approaching the exercise very gradually. My goals for health/fitness are ambitious, but I'm taking a "patient man on a long journey" approach. My focus right now is building showing-up habits and consistency, and not injuring myself. After this I'll move in to a phase of learning and building a more sophisticated program - my experience is bodybuilding and powerlifting, and I want to learn bodyweight/minimal equipment styles that I can execute no matter my shelter/location situation.

The titles I've scoped out for this are
Overcoming Gravity: A Systematic Approach to Gymnastics and Bodyweight Strength
Becoming a Supple Leopard 2nd Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance by Kelly Starret
If the reviews are close to correct, these are the "teach a man to fish" books that will allow me to create my own programs with a solid understanding of the principles, as opposed to just adopting (copying) other programs. Anyone have experience with these/this pursuit?

Big-Picture Thought of the Day:
Something I want out of ERE is to *speed up*, to be able to reclaim my ambition, my energy, to put the hammer down *in a sustainable fashion*. Burnout for me has looked like slowing down, apathy. I'm don't want to semiERE so I can slow down and chill -- I actually want to speed up, do more, unlock my energy and vitality, fulfill my potential. I've been stuck/stopped for years. I want to go.

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:00 pm
Becoming a Supple Leopard 2nd Edition: The Ultimate Guide to Resolving Pain, Preventing Injury, and Optimizing Athletic Performance by Kelly Starret
If the reviews are close to correct, these are the "teach a man to fish" books that will allow me to create my own programs with a solid understanding of the principles, as opposed to just adopting (copying) other programs. Anyone have experience with these/this pursuit?
I have a very similar background to you re: training (competed at a high level in drug free BB and dabbled in competitive RAW PL) and found quite a bit of value in this book, mostly from an injury prevention/increasing mobility standpoint, though it's been quite a number of years since I read it. When I was young and stubborn those were two areas I greatly ignored and ultimately got hurt. Now that I'm older and wiser (ha!), longevity and functional physical conditioning are more of what I'm after.

classical_Liberal

Post by classical_Liberal »

AxelHeyst wrote:
Tue Aug 04, 2020 2:00 pm
I actually want to speed up, do more, unlock my energy and vitality, fulfill my potential. I've been stuck/stopped for years. I want to go.
The freedom bells are ringing. I can't remember if it was in the ERE book or a blog post where @jacob uses the analogy of a dog who's stuck behind an invisible fence, even after the collar's been removed. I'm a year into semi-ERE and I still find myself struggling to remember... there is no fence.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 73

Post by jacob »