3 yrs to FI: ertyu's journal

Where are you and where are you going?
disk_poet

Re: 3 yrs to FI: ertyu's journal

Post by disk_poet »

Congrats! That is a big step. Sounds like you would be much happier with this flat than your current one. I hope everything goes smoothly.

The treasures do sound kind of awesome. Let us know how it goes :)

Egg

Post by Egg »

ertyu wrote:
Wed Oct 28, 2020 1:17 pm
So, it appears I have put in an offer on a 1 bedroom flat. €40k.
Congrats on the flat, ertyu. +1 on treasures being a bonus. There's just something fascinating about (near) living history. I have been helping my family clear my recently-deceased grandad's house and the old photos and newspapers are really special to me. Obviously in your case it's not family history in the same way, but old people have some really interesting stuff that can tell its own stories.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

What fun! I am teetering back and forth on the brink of throwing down for housing myself.

Zanka

Post by Zanka »

Great! Hope everything works out!:)

Lemur

Post by Lemur »

Hope it works out @ertyu.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Update: my parents really like it how the apartment I have chosen is close to where they live and have offered to pay for half (20k from them, 20k + agent, notary, etc. fees from me). This is shaping up to be a really good deal for ya boi.

Thank you all who sent well wishes and congrats! Still haven't signed anything but things appear to be moving along

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

What's the catch though?

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

i'm presuming elder care. which was going to fall on me anyway as i am both the oldest and the only unmarried one of my siblings...

sky

Post by sky »

Maybe they really want you out of their house?

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

sky wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:18 pm
Maybe they really want you out of their house?
lmao no, he’s already out, in a rental

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

ertyu wrote:
Thu Oct 29, 2020 2:15 pm
i'm presuming elder care. which was going to fall on me anyway as i am both the oldest and the only unmarried one of my siblings...
eh, couples can handle elder care better.

in the case of one of my grandmothers, it fell on her daughter in law (my mom). my dad paid, my mom did the care part (but there were nurses).

nevertheless it’s nice of you to volunteer, and the price can’t be beat.

don’t forget to ask the old man to hook you up with a cheap but reliable plumber?

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

Couples might handle care better but I'm the only one who's child free. I fully expect all sorts of kid-related and job-related reasons to pop up. Siblings live and work outside my home town, too. There's still a good 10-15 yrs until shtf and I'm already hearing the, "well you're there already aren't you?" and the "smh how selfish he's got no children and he doesn't want to take on the entire burden"

I also fully expect no one to lift their finger once I need care, but that's a whole other can of worms.

Re: parents wanting me out of their house: I travel a lot and work abroad, too. They really have very little to worry in that regard. I'm a very independent sort. Our conflicts revolve around them getting too involved in my life (and in the wrong way) rather than too little

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

oh. my parents had 2 teenage kids at the time, but i see what you mean.

plus you’ve mentioned your parents before as a reason not to leave your town. you’ll be lucky if the siblings kick in some money, yeah... unfortunate.

in any case, back to the apartment: if i understood another post of yours, your dad is a retired electrician, yes? does he know any plumbers? leaking pipes are *very bad* but fixable.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

my dad used to be a middle management cop, but he did graduate as an electrical engineer and was always handy with the repairs of all sorts of appliances. I have an uncle in construction who can recommend plumbers. I'll need not just a plumber but someone who can drill into the wall. Should be funtimes all around. But I thought of it like this: would I have paid 5k more for this place if the burst pipe wasn't there? And I would have, because I like it in all other ways. This gave me quite a reassuring limit on my willingness to pay for this repair. As long as it can be fixed, I will fix it.

As for the rest, I'm taking a page of 7w5's book: for a year, I'll only clean it. Should be an easy way to sort out what's essential repairs and what's bullshit.

Alphaville

Post by Alphaville »

only clean?? hell no, fix that pipe asap! you just got €20k to do it. you don’t want a flood and a mold problem. yikes!

plumbers get into walls, yeah. you need to buy that uncle some pastries *soon* for a family discount :D

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone »

Congrats! When will it be official?

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

yes yes the pipe is clearly getting worked on. as for when official, idk. construction uncle having another look at the place this weekend, i'll probably put in a deposit next week

Der Leiermann

Post by Der Leiermann »

Make sure you don’t set yourself up for a life of misery. Looking after increasingly frail and grumpy parents when not having the best relationship to start can be a recipe for disaster. Just because you and your family regard you as the default caring option doesn’t mean it’s a done deal.

Make it a conscious decision, even if it’s just for your own sanity.

Anyways, hope it all goes well! Exciting times.

Edit to add: Could be the most expensive €20k you ever received.

ertyu

Post by ertyu »

@DL: my family situation is such that elderly care would have fallen on me anyway. Keep your fingers crossed that I get away with it lightly.

I came to report that I put down a nonrefundable 10% deposit and signed a contract declaring that I will wire the rest of the money within a month. While I have not taken legal possession, I guess I own an apartment now.

7Wannabe5

Post by 7Wannabe5 »

Congratulations! Remember, just clean it for a year! (Obvious exceptions being stuff like leaking pipes.) The irrepressible urge to rip out fake wood paneling and Popcorn drop ceilings has been my downfall.