Eric's Dream Journal. This is it.

Where are you and where are you going?
EricsDream

Eric's Dream Journal. This is it.

Post by EricsDream »

Hello all. Just saying Hi. Hanging out outside the library this morning and about to check out Naked Warrior and getting rid of my gym membership next month.

I got ERE a few weeks ago by recommendation through a digging quest that started when I was probably 21 and now 27.5yro.

I tried living in a van in LA downtown Hollywood for a few months from november to march 2015->2016. 

With a passion for music my wall to make the music I want seemed to be that I'm not FI and thus doing everything a bit backwards. FI first, then the good stuff. I just deleted 600+GB->1TB of recordings ranging back to 2012 so I can get this done. I have experienced the trickle over effect of taking courses or learning/experience things that don't involve practicing my craft that amazed me how much it improved my music so I am confident its for the best.

I have interests that I haven't found a way to earn a living and am now in a sales job. The digging holes and filling them back up is real for me in regards to getting sales (and jobs prior) but at the price of seemingly premature declining health situation. I'm halfway through the book on kindle and ordered the paperback so I can unplug and really become one with the philosophy. It really synthesizes everything im working towards but with the best outside the box frugality that seems to be the answer to my situation. I am sold and have been decluttering for a few months and working on the big three. 

If this leads to me getting off perscription drugs and stimulants (coffee tea etc) itll be the best thing thats ever happened to me.

I've always thought there was a better way and hope to come here for support. I have a lot of homework to do but looking forward to it.

note:copying and pasting my intro here for continuity. It is 9/20/2019...

I have about 28k in debt (22k of it is credit cards 4k student loans)
1089$ rent
food about 200$ per month
sales job so far 40k per year(can get to 67->125k)
I live 15 mi from work. about 30m give or take.
i drive a used 2008 honda accord 175k miles
im working 6 days a week at roughly 38 hours. usually 6 hour work days. sometimes 7. im in my 3rd year there and if I can just retire off of this job and grow from there it would be a godsend.

getting rid of the consumer activities and unlimited data phone plan.

I found an rv park 5.6 miles from work and even closer to grocery. as well as some other nearby apartments. I would even go back to living in a car and showering at the gym if it comes down to it.

Thats all for now. back to work.

Smashter

Re: Eric's Dream Journal. This is it.

Post by Smashter »

Welcome Eric! I'm not sure what kind of sales job you are working, but 3 years in I would expect you to me making more than 40k. Or is that before commission? And can you clarify what the "can get to" part means? Are you saying if you reach a certain level at the company you'll have a 67k base with a 125k expected compensation if you meet your quota?

Anyway, if you're at a solid company in a huge market and you've been there three years, I think you need to find a way to negotiate that salary up! Then you can knock out that CC debt in no time.

Living in a van in downtown Hollywood sounds pretty intense. What was that experience like?

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Hi Eric and a warm welcome from a fellow musician (with a day job). I tried making music my main money earning career and it would have even worked, but I lost all joy in it because of the hassle. Now it is a hobby that pays for it self and I'm much happier.

Did you notice that yours is the 700th journal? I like even numbers :)

Looking forward to follow along on your journey!

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

@Smashter That is with commission. basically averaging 2 sales a day the first two years. 67,000 is at 4 sales (can see myself attaining this) each day 6 days a week, and then 125,000 is doing 9 (hard to imagine right now) per day 6 days a week. 6 per day seems most ideal right now and achievable while still at 90k. there are reps who do this and more so. The "can get to" part means whats possible for me and my commission. My base is somewhere around 25k per year. My hourly goes up 1$ each year. Being considered for assistant manager but my assumption is that it would be dreadful, but if there's a salary aspect to it and the hours arent evil I will give it another look per your suggestion, and I could still pop in and make sales and get paid to train reps.

As for my job I engage airline passengers as they head to their flights and enroll them in a promotion at the airport. I see hundreds per day and could push to reachout to 2,000 people in an all out nonstop day. I have a lot of homework to do on the industry/foundations of the product but its good enough for me and I use it. Have you been in sales a while? if so what kind? whats a solid salary in your mind?

Downtown Hollywood was fun and adventurous while I had the savings etc. I showered at LA fitness on Gower St and had long hair down to the middle of my back went out a lot getting feedback on my music and on the way people went about their life in general. The fun stopped once I was about to start my second job and got into the rat race activities. I enjoyed hacking the lifestyle and looking for the loopholes, dollar store groceries, talking music folklore, and some of the random one off encounters. Would of gone better without debt and a better plan but a worthy learning experience. Ultimately, I realized my music is for me, and i don't need to be in LA to make the music that I want to make. I just need the freedom to pursue it in the way that is purely self indulgent and for the sake of learning.

p.s. I would venture to say if there's a few places to live in a van at least for some time...its downtown Hollywood, CA. Some people had RVS lol.

@horsewoman i did not but that is epic! Im happy to hear from a fellow musician such as yourself! Thats cool that the self supporting hobby is achievable for you. Like the music pays for itself while you also have a job earning income on top? Id be interested on what your scenario was with that.

Im getting rid of all my stuff including my laptop to crush the sales and rebuild from the ground up. Looking forward to seeing how the positive life direction and maybe some serendipitous cross training can take the art soaring to all new heights!
I'm fairly convinced ERE has the strategy to afford me the time to insource and rethink somethings in regards to making music and where it fits in my life.

Thanks for taking the time to read guys and I hope your journeys are moving along swimmingly

horsewoman

Post by horsewoman »

Yes exactly, I have a part-time job (15h a week) that leaves me enough time for music and other pursuits. I'm located in Germany, where you can get health insurance through an employer while working only very few hours, which is an attractive option for many artsy types. Also, I'm married to a guy with a job so I'd never go hungry ;) In that regard, I had it really easy, no starving artist scenario for me, I'm happy to say.
I used to do paid gigs and earned good money but like I said the hassle of getting this gigs, negotiating fees, bookkeeping, etc. was really killing off my passion. These days I'm in a band where everyone has a day job, so we can play our original material without giving a care if it pays enough. The few commercial gigs I play by myself pay for my costs in general.

For me, the strong appeal of Jacobs ERE is the "web of goals" - I had done something like this subconsciously all my life, but now that I have realized that this is a workable system I think constantly about it. This is more important to me than the money (easily said, considering I live in a country with decent social security!). If I can set up my life in a way that the different aspects "feed" each other, I have very little need to earn money!

So perhaps your sales job is not a bad thing in that regard since you have seemingly a very high amount of control about your hours and related income.

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

@horsewoman Yes Im excited It seems i can make it work with the sales job so long as the government or industry doesn't go bankrupt just yet. I just went to watch 3 of the top performers in our company in a nearby city and it seems to of improved my results. The option to get more done in less time lends itself to me potentially getting my hours back down closer to 30 hours per week. a few hours here n there really makes a difference. Thats cool germany does solid healthcare even for part time jobs!

The healthy artist scenario always fascinated me since the starving dead artist was so well known. If your situation works thats cool. Playing original just for fun gigs is a treasure and I'm glad you get to do that. Me and my high school friends did that a few times while everyone was still around before the after college career activities began. I am unwilling to accept that the fun stops there. ERE overall seems to run parallel with certain parts of rock n roll philosophy, some pink floyd, and get free of the system ideas etc.

I'm a big fan of the web of goals framework as well. First on the list is converting my exercise to free as possible and really learn as much as I can about my body, rehabbing it for work capacity, getting full sleep and water, which increases sales, with increases investing, paying off debt, leads to smarter food choices, shopping choices, and better physical maintenance so I can afford healthcare without the corporate job or not need it thanks to a healthier lifestyle.

the car and home situation need more homework but food and health I can make some immediate changes. Also yea not killing myself shooting for 200k per year takes the pressure off. 1,000->3,000 skill improvement hours for this job is much more doable and seems like will get me the right result instead of the health sacrificing 10,000->30,000 ...... which would be epic, so long as I could still be around to enjoy such skills.

Notes about getting rid of the music: although I don't have the actual copies of the music anymore I can still hear my favorite demos throughout the day and my inner dialogue particularly when inspired is still coming up with song/album ideas. so far the necessity aspect of needing to fix my life's financial foundation seems to be working, with earning the prize of making my own music (and actually finishing the process of album creation) as a motivational reward.

will again have to work out the recording setup with ERE but so long as I get through the initial lifestyle hurdles It seems that the world is my oyster. In the meantime I will be learning how to draw by recreating the sales workbook (visual pictures of sales demos) we have (increasing sales through visualization, focus, and deep understanding) and that can lead to me rehabbing my shoulder and overall alignment through drawing and understanding anatomy/health to the point of reproducing it on paper (virtruvian man mode!), understand form/function, tightening up my math, AND trailing all the way back around to doing the art for my music. BOOM. polymath life lol. there is a way!

by then I hope I'll have a better Idea for the design/scope of each album.

edit: I sold my laptop and paid off some overdue balances. now just unplugging from the phone as an entertainment device. transitioning this month to google fi for wifi only data...and shifting towards a more strategic use of the internet. decoupling!

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

Sitting down to do some brain work at the airport.

about to write out my living contingencies with food, shelter, and the car. in one week Ill be free from the last two items (unlimited cell plan and water delivery) that are extra from my expenses. at the end of the month I'll be free from my gym membership, which gets me 140$ per month. these are the little thiijngs that are doable right now, and now I'm opening up to master the real deal discipline.

Although Im considered healthy by medical standards, I am planning a diet that will bring me from 175lb down to 137lbs to a BMI of 19 alwhile deep diving on my body, renassaince skills, and overall having more doable food choices.

It's Tuesday mid day and I havent had a meal since sunday evening.

Had a long contemplation this weekend about how I'm going to stay integrated and get my social/emotional/physical needs(wants?) met while converting to a different life. The weird part is I've always wanted this life in a way, and the book helps bring clarity to how to go about it, as well as permission. Breaking through on a new mindset is something I've been working towards for years, but I think altering my environment and how I interact with it thanks to the guidance of ERE, I can get there.

Through my contemplation I also came to the possibility that learning male energy transmutation (and the related topics...(this is as pg and descriptive as I'll get to spare anyone who may read this) may free me from a lot of consumerism causes and effects and free me to get my financial, romantic, health/fitness and intellectual artistic dreams truly achieved.

The eureka of this for me is mega ultra, and I can find many times in my life where my life was seemingly in a very prosperous experience and male energy transmutation seems to be a strong link for me and my goals right now. perhaps even the lifestyle for me. today is october 8th 2019 and I came to this conclusion yesterday as I felt I was in a consumerism paradox related to my romantic desires and hoping learning and hope truly understanding this and living it will actually help me to find a way. at its very core seems to be about creating more value than taking.

I still am on perscription and non perscription drugs (tea and coffee and adhd medicine) but will see what this energy practice, financial discipline, smarter and lighter food/nutrition, personal strength and work capacity knowledge, and creative ERE lifestyle breakthrough principles/simple living, and positive reading etc do for the web of goals!!

since my schedule/work times vary, this past week I worked on making a more flexible to do list/regiment outsode of work.

also got to convert to the free cycle and resources like that and switch off of the addictive kindle ebookstore! (at least increase making better decisions here). some times the library doesnt have everything I want...but also maybe there are bigger libraries in the future I can live near etc. also did this thing where I impulsively took two books from my parents house, (don Quixote and thomas Jefferson:a life) but caught myself and returned them back the next day along with some other things. NOT YET i said lol the tasks at hand still require my attention, and stickkng with the ERE book until its innate.

will catalogue and see how it all goes.

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

I wrote more but wrote for too long and lost the info.

Ive decluttered and up next is:

super repetitions (400 pages) of scripting and copywriting work sales materials to music. rereading ERE. recently read animal farm and 1984 and found it helpful. 400:200 per month seems to be a place to start for me.

stretching and meditation. unlocking surprisingly supreme levels of posture and emotional releases of tension and confidence from healing old injuries and taking the time to re align my body. starting to read on the endocrine system and biological systems that are relavent so I can really create the energy and new life that I want. also food beans rice broccli. tea and coffee for now in a big gallon jug keeps me from spending at work. looking to build this and add flexibility.

researching a closer more affordable apartmemt closer to work, and or stealth van. market familiar, and shower and gym im same building as my work.

defering bottlenecks and things that I want but prevent ERE...telling myself I can have that all I want when I ere.

going to bed earlier. staying the course. daring to be different than the crowd. letting go and prioritizing my long term happiness. remembering the dream. going above and beyond, and then going even further.

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

Hey! Sorry I missed that last update that mentioned me because I didn't get a notification. Sounds like you're making good progress.

As for the sales stuff, I've done it for about 3 years. I took a break and went into a different field and then recently started doing sales again. But all of my experience is in software sales. There are tons of tech companies looking for people to sell software at all levels in the LA area.

For someone like you, earning 60k after commissions in the first year would be totally doable. And I imagine way easier than selling to busy people at the airport. Check out https://www.builtinla.com/jobs and filter for "sales"

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

hell yea thanks smashter i will check that out. Thatd be sweet in LA.

I am hellbent on mastering my current job because no one likes it and i may not be far off. if my bet is right it will take me to a proficiency level thats borderline heroic in my small little corner of the world, but itll be nice when its over and I've broken free. If I do everything there is humanly possible to improve and create success for 2 years now that I kinda see how to use systems thinking, and I am still not on course to ERE I'll have no choice but to reconsider. but i know I can do better right now and live up to what can be done to improve by decoupling certain behaviors.

noticing the dividing and conquering after my second read through of ERE. Food, transportation, shelter. also noticing the endless game and power of constantly educating myself.

ive decided on living out of the car and transitioning to that right now and in one week it has given me more time to study and improve my process. there's a gym/shower at the airport so just keeping a low profile.

software sales is relevant. last two fridays ive watched Bills brain on Netflix and might make it a tradition to set the tone for this part of my life. education baby

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

checking back in.

today im headed to the store and doing hands on research for what I can keep in my car for a day or two and get all of my healthy calories. The time gained will be nice and I would start the beginnings of a consistent fullbody health routine outside when I wake up. Just a consistent warm up and a beginnings of rehabbing/rebuilding myself from head to toe. truly going back to my beginnings and having a renaissance from walking, posture, and even handwriting slower or with my opposite hand.

jacob is right about the commuting thing. just an hour or two everyday is a lot. this next move means the world to me if it creates 1) daily satiation (with some fasting) 2) 20$ per week, decoupling from the apartment and cooking and 3) time and space to repair my body, energy, and mind and learn, read, and meditate to the new independent place im going. the last release for education immersion.

I have 12 books now since getting ERE plus my work trainings. this should be enough for a year even 2. if I really learn and apply and become what they preach, that should be more than enough to put me over the edge to that ideal point in the skillset road to mastery.

some of the books are are fountainhead, how I found freedom in an unfree world, and meditations from the readings list. I also got gates of fire to get me back in this spartan mode.

a little bit questioning everything as far as what I'm going to do with myself and how much I'm willing to let go of to live a different life. no matter how shocking or scary it seems, it doesn't justify being unhappy living out my life in the rat race. Thinking of who I'm going to be when I escape the rat race since it actually seems feasible now.

after food near work its just the car which I will try living in and learning how to maintain.

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

9 months later. I almost got a new job. Back to zero, getting in shape, was reminded of this blog, looking to move to the Philippines and live on 1000 per month or less according to cost reports. I could get out of debt on that kind of living expense cost and have time for the sweet spot of life if there is such a thing.

Just need to get income the income to 2000k per month (to also pay debts) on anything online, save up 6k and travel expenses and go! Will also get a roommate if I dont get it done...but fuck it I could! Sell my car to my neighbor for 500, and get it done by next summer. That would be more than worth it.

That's more exciting than the past few weeks.

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

A lifestyle of getting daily sun would be good if I could truly live like this.

Just found bulk lentils and oatmeal on Amazon. 25lb each. ~thirty dollars total. The. Some extra. Going lean and a grocery bill under 100$ would be an improvement while working at the airport.

If I do 7 per day thatd make my bosses happy and on the path of lean living and paying off debt. In the meanwhile I read and train. If something goes wrong this fall or winter gotta be in shape to start up a new gig quickly.

For 6k->12k I'm moving to the Filipinos and starting an online business would hit it out of the park. Probably best to get the debt paid flow and some remote job up to 2k per month and then make the leap. Thatd be pretty ninja. By 35 wouldn't be a bad bargain.

Facilitating the low cost living, good health and atmosphere will enable deep music and art studies and what more could a guy ask for.

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

Interviewed for a sales job with a more legitimate base salary and earning potential as recommended.

This may start the 5 year time if I play my cards right and get me out of debt. The price is going to be me learning a new field (renaissance!) And boning up on having a more "on the road" lifestyle.

Will see if it goes through. It won't be easy but it will be a step in the right direction. My gut tells me it's the right move.

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

It takes about 3100 in living costs net where I'm at. That's about 92 sales per month.

Food, housing, car. Will be looking for a bulk solution as well as a dry living out of a car solution.

EricsDream

Post by EricsDream »

Potatoes on sale at shoppers for 2.99$

Don't know the weight but am looking to get to that level.

Forgot to bring my wallet to work and realized I could make that a normal casual thing. Realigning for ERE. The hardest struggle I'm having is the demotivation that occurs when I read break out of the system material...when I do need to earn this income and strive and invest in a higher sense of understanding. In order to break free.

Looking into philosophies where I can practice to be more liberated internally or diplomatic even in the face of complexity while I make the transition.

I put my laptop in my car trunk and am moving everything offline. Looking to stick with the library education, strength training, eating, meditation/self observation, and relevant industry work and then only using the phone for work w/closing sales, extracting info online into my offline world, or correspondence.

The only catch to all this is the only way I've been able to live productively and sober was when I was having sex with multiple women. I would shoot to get so effective at my job that I can work one less day.

Sacrificed a piece of my youth recently taking caffeine pills, 4 hour energy and working weird hours because of employee turnover and lack of human resources. This pavlovian experience changed my perspective on the price of distractions and non retirement friendly habits.

Joined a crossfit to get me through my first year of strength training, better sleep and diet, and reacclimating for the straight edge life.