Just another journal

Where are you and where are you going?
just

Just another journal

Post by just »

Paper Street Soap Company

I'll let my introductory post be about today's project: soap making. Then I'll do a more formal introduction later. I also posted a small introduction here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10806.

I'd been wanting to try making soap out for a while and was reminded of it again from a recent thread here (viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6427). I used the guides jacob linked to, plus some extra googling and youtubing.

Soap is inexpensive, so it doesn't make much sense from a pure savings perspective to do it yourself, but hopefully it'll be better than the cheap detergent-based shower gel I'm currently using and it might make a good host gift. Still, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on it in case it didn't turn out well, so I tried to be clever about it. The thing with soap making is that the lye is very alkaline, so you need gloves (had some already) and safety goggles (borrowed some from work). The resources I found also recommend that you don't use your soap making utensils for food afterwards, so I needed an extra bowl and a stick blender for mixing the ingredients. I bought a stainless steel bowl used for $2 and I almost spent $10 on a used stick blender, before I figured I could just use my power drill with a fork. I felt like such a good ERE disciple when I thought of that :) In hindsight, it didn't work out so well - at least it took 60+ minutes of blending and some reheating before the soap started to "trace" (my neck is still a little sore from holding the drill for that long :roll:). Next time I'll try with less water and heat the oil some more to see if that makes it doable with the power drill.

I'll cut it out and set it to cure tomorrow. Now, I'll go watch Fight Club to prove to myself how badass it is to make your own soap.

Moneys

60% trailing 12 months savings rate
2.8 years of expenses saved

Zanka

Re: Just another journal

Post by Zanka »

Nice! Following!

Frita

Post by Frita »

Cool, DS14 made soap at school last year in a Friday elective and enjoyed the activity. The soap is nice, does not aggravate my eczema, and seems to last a long time. I am looking forward to reading about your adventure.

just

Post by just »

Paper street soap company

I think the soap is turning out okay, perhaps a bit on the soft side, so I'll let it cure in the basement for at least four more weeks.

Introduction/Discovering ERE

I'm 26 years old, live in Copenhagen and work as a software developer at a small startup. I have a GF, but no kids.

I found jacob's site in the autumn of 2017, somehow stumbling upon it when trying to figure out whether I should buy an apartment after having graduated and gotten a job. I remember the idea of early retirement and financial independence made sense almost immediately to me, like you could "win the game of life", not having to work until you can collect a pension and SS and free yourself from the whole 9-5 thing. It felt very liberating. Since then I've been swallowing anything ERE - the book, all blog posts, the forums, and other FIRE blogs (Living a FI, Lacking Ambition, madFIentist, Brave New Life, ...), as well as several books. Particularly, How I found Freedom in an Unfree World was very inspirational to me.

It was also not long after discovering ERE that I really understood how bad the climate change situation is, so that was additional motivation for reducing consumption. From the recent discussions about Deep Adaptation, etc., it's also slowly dawning on me that the future might be different from what I previously imagined, due to climate change and peak oil. I guess I'm slowly realizing all the ways in which ERE is really a robust system for the future.

I think I've always been somewhat minimalistic, frugal and fond of stock investing, but somewhat haphazardly on all three accounts. With the ERE framework in mind, it's much easier to be systematic and motivated about it, because it all fits together now as part of the web of goals. I think I've grabbed all the low hanging fruit and have plateaued at ~60% SR. I'm generally happy with that, but on the other hand, it means I still have 10+ years left. Jacob had a very interesting post on the topic recently that stuck with me:
jacob wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:58 am
[...]
Perchance the frustration felt by the OP is due to picking a 50-66% savings rate (time horizon 10-17 years) and thinking of FIRE as a dreary accumulation phase followed by a fun and free consumption phase ... instead of seeing it as a lifestyle change? Those are very different paradigms. Happiness should be part of one's web-of-goals(*). Sacrificing a few years to get a head start (See link above) seems smart just because of the power gained. Sacrificing for 10+ years ... I've never done that so I can't speak of that other than it doesn't seem very attractive.
[...]
I think this is where I'm at currently. The goal line is still quite far into the future. So either, I need to up my savings rate without sacrificing happiness, or I need a new perspective; find peace with my current (good) situation, or perhaps accumulate something less than 25 years of expenses and transition to part-time work at that point. The recent wave of forumites (cL, J+G, bsog, ...) talking about the benefits of semi-ERE has opened my eyes to that option.

Moneys

60% trailing 12 months savings rate
3.0 years of expenses saved

Smashter

Post by Smashter »

I've also found all the semi-ERE conversations happening around here to be very thought provoking and intriguing. When I was making 200k+ for a year (a bit of a fluke) I was dead set on saving for 5 years then FIREing, but now that I've dropped back down to earth, salary wise, I'm drawn to semi-ERE.

Curious to see how your thoughts progress on the issue.

Sounds like you're doing really well overall, a 60% savings rate is nothing to sneeze at!

just

Post by just »

We got lunch catering at work. We're a small company; before, most people would go out to buy something. I brought my own lunch, which I didn't think of as a big deal, but I must admit that not having to always think ahead and plan for that meal every day has been a relief. To simplify meal planning further, I'm trying to go without breakfast, which is easier now, because I can just eat as much as I want at work for lunch. I've thought about trying it for a while after having read about intermittent fasting and jacob's posts on the warrior diet. Specifically, I wanna see if it decreases my dependence on needing food every few hours. Sometimes, I can get a little "jittery", if I'm hungry, and I'd like to see if skipping a meal can remedy this.

Furthermore, there is always leftover food after lunch, and most people don't care to take it, so I can always bring home some salad or bread, so preparing dinner is also easier!

Moneys

64% trailing 12 months savings rate
3.4 years of expenses saved

I did a little bit of matched betting this week. It's a mathematically risk free way to take advantage of the bonuses and free bets that all bookmakers offer new customers. I've earned around $2000 on this over the last 18 months, although the bulk of it was over 3-4 months last summer during the world cup. The strategy doesn't scale, as you pretty quickly exhaust the bookmakers of their signup offers. In Denmark there are ~10 of these. Now I just do it on the occasional free bet that is offered for existing customers.

herp

Post by herp »

Hi just! It's great to see more danes doing journals on this board.

I too have recently begun matched betting, so I would be very interested in hearing about what signup offers you discovered. Do you have perhaps have a decent resource for us danes? I signed up with OddsMonkey, but it's very UK-centric and many offers aren't available.

just

Post by just »

I use betxpert.com (Danish site, despite the .com) to find the signup bonuses. Then I basically just went through them all, starting with the biggest sites I felt most comfortable with. I just made my own spreadsheet to keep track of it all - I mean that was half the fun :) I used betfair to lay the bets. It might be worth it to wait for a big sports event to use all the signup bonuses - at least they were bigger during the last FIFA world cup with a few sites offering 1500-2000 DKK bonuses.

Moneys

65% trailing 12 months savings rate
3.7 years of expenses saved

just

Post by just »

My girlfriend has been very enthusiastic about ERE after I've started talking about it. We cook cheaper with less meat. She has opened a brokerage account and invested in stocks. She has started selling old stuff she's not using anymore. At the moment she's not looking to retire very early, since she's just finishing medical school, but work related stress is very common in that field, and it's something she's considering when deciding her specialty.

DIY

Soap is done and wrapped. It turned out well, good lather and doesn't dry out the skin. It'll take a while to use it all, but it might make nice small gifts.

I have started fixing bicycles myself. I used to do regular maintenance/cleaning myself, but I'd let the mechanic do everything else, inlcuding flats. There are a lot of bicycle mechanics, so fixing a flat is quite cheap, around $7. There is money to be saved on changing tires though. It costs $60 to get a new good tire ("antiflat"), but I can buy two new tires and tubes for less than that. I usually have to change a tire every two years. Hardest repair so far involved taking off the rear wheel on my girlfriend's bicycle, because it has an internal-gear hub - it was a lot easier than expected though.

I think jacob wrote that you can fix bicycles if you can take the lid of your toothpaste, since it's all just nuts and bolts. That was a good way to convince myself that I could do it.

Moneys

67% trailing 12 months savings rate
4.1 years of expenses saved

I've started to be more methodical in my approach to stock picking. I've setup a spreadsheet with various key figures, balance sheet summary, sales overview, and a simple dividend discount model to help me evaluate reasonable price levels. Because of that, I'm now considering selling AbbVie. I bought it because of the dividend shortly after the price decline following their announcement of buying Allergan. With a more thorough analysis of the stock, I'm leaning towards selling, because of their huge debt and negative equity, and well, because I have made money on it so far.

jacob
Site Admin
Location: USA, Zone 5b, Koppen Dfa, Elev. 620ft, Walkscore 77

Post by jacob »

You could also patch the tubes for $0.10/flat or less.

herp

Post by herp »

Fixing flats and changing tires is something that I've always done myself. I recently had several flats in a row on the same tube in a matter of weeks (while not having had any in over a year), and so I decided to buy an anti-flat tire.

Great work on the savings rate!

Are you sure you should be picking stocks? Lately I've come to question whether it's really a good idea as I've been underperforming the broad indices for a couple of years now, although I guess that's part of the game. Exposure to risk factors that make you deviate away from the market will make you zig and zag in relation to the market.

just

Post by just »

@jacob
I am patching tubes now - dunno if that was clear from what I wrote. First time I tried to patch a tube, I messed it up. Second time, I wasn't sure whether I did a good job, so I put in a new tube and left the patched one out overnight to see if it stayed inflated - it did, so now I have a spare tube for the next flat.

@herp
I'm not sure I should be picking stocks, but I enjoy reading about investing and doing the analysis, so I think I'll keep at it for now. I'm very aware of the risk of underperforming, though, so I keep track of my XIRR compared to an international index fund. I underperformed in 2019.

just

Post by just »

I've started meditating. I was intrigued by it after having heard a podcast where they talked about a 10 day silent retreat. That led me to Sam Harris' app Waking Up, for which I'm now 17 days into the 50 days introduction course that consists of guided meditations. There are also thirty or so 10 min theory podcasts, covering topics such as free will, death, consciousness, etc., and longer interviews with other meditation personas.

Highly recommendable so far. It comes at a steep price of $15 per month, though. I'm not sure, I'll commit to that after my 1 month trial is over, so I'm trying to get as enlightened as possible in thirty days :) Hopefully, I'll be able to gauge whether I can get more out of it after that time.

DIY

I 3D printed a bicycle light retaining clip (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:14504) at work, because the original one had broken. I don't often come up with stuff that 3D printers make sense for, but this is a particularly good case, because these small plastic things are something you can't replace otherwise.

Hung up some shelves in the apartment. Changed brakepads on the bicycle + regular cleaning/greasing.

Yeah, I'm not exactly building houses here, but it's something :)

Moneys

69% trailing 12 months savings rate
4.4 years of expenses saved

just

Post by just »

So I didn't stick with meditating :) It's one of those things (like doing pushups at home) that's really hard to establish as a habit. I still feel like I gained some insight from it, so I can sometimes stop up and reflect on the thoughts I'm having. Seeing this journal was a good reminder of doing meditation - I guess that's why people do journals in real life. I should try to get in some short meditation sessions in the coming month.

I've just read Paul Wheaton's Building a Better World in Your Backyard (shout out to jennypenny for gifting me that). I swallowed it in two days. It's quite a short and easy read on the surface - it goes over a lot of material in a brief and practical manner, but with lots of references for further information, so it's easy to dig in to. I can't do much permaculture from my apartment, but setting up something like that in the future is something I've been intrigued by for a long time (for the Danes: I just finished all 12 seasons of Bonderøven in 2-3 years time).

What I can do is clean up my personal care and cleaning products. I thought I was doing okay with perfume and allergy certified products and occasionally cleaning with vinegar, but it seems better, easier, and cheaper to go all out on the baking soda/vinegar/real soap route - good thing I have made soap! Wheaton writes about the documentary Chemerical in his book, which I ended up seeing (it's $1 on Vimeo). It was a good motivator, especially for my girlfriend, although it seems that she has caught on to me trying to influence me with documentaries now.

DIY

Shortened the chain on my bike, since it was very loose. Surprisingly easy - glad to have that figured out.

Started up the balcony garden: I've planted eight tomato plants (third generation seeds now), radish, basil, thyme (store bought), rosemary (store bought). I've also tried to plant some lemon seeds. I'm excited about planting trees. They should start sprouting within the next week. Also went to the local forest to get some ramsons (for pesto, spiciness) and nettles (which I used in a foccacia).

We made oatmilk. I'm not a huge fan. It tastes more like oats than whole milk - maybe I should've seen that coming. GF is using it to replace milk in the breakfast she's doing, so it has reduced our milk intake somewhat.

Moneys

I'm feeling okay about the influence Corona has had on my investments. Now, I'm just a little surprised it went up again so quickly. I have a little bit of money on the sideline from selling AbbVie, and I had some candidates (American arisocrats) eyed out just around March 23, and since then it's already up ~20%.

Apart from that, it made me realize that my investment strategy was a little haphazard, so now I've written down some simple rules for allocation, stock analysis requirements, and how much I should invest every month. Now, my main problem is that I'm not too good at buying after I've made the decision to do so. I'll set an order a little below the current price, hoping to save 0.5%, but then sometimes it doesn't go there and the next day it's up 2%! I should be better at just buying instead of fooling around with the order - apparently I'm not very good at it.

I've also upped the payments on the expensive part of the apartment loan, so that should be out of the way in a year from now. Before I was planning on doing a few large payments every ~6 months to get it done, but that didn't go as fast as I'd hoped, because it was too easy to convince myself that I should have more cash or invest it in the next stock on my watchlist. Now that it's forced I feel a little poorer because it goes out of the paycheck as the first thing, and I think that'll encourage me to save more overall. It feels good to have the investment and loan payoff amounts fixed.

67% trailing 12 months savings rate
4.1 years of expenses saved

just

Post by just »

Work has become crazy busy. Our startup (or, I think we call it a scale up now) is making lab equipment, which can be used for some component of corona testing, so we went from selling half a machine a week to three a week. I can definitely feel the long days at work taking a toll.

I've read The Moneyless Man and The Way Home by Mark Boyle. Highly recommended, very inspirational. I'm definitely thinking more about buying less stuff overall and more local food. Also thought about trying dumpster diving, but haven't gotten around to it. Anybody with experience, in particular in Copenhagen?

DIY

Roasted my own coffee, so far 3 batches of 200 g. I bought 5 kg to avoid paying for shipping, so I'll have to stick with it for a while. They also work well as a small present. So far it's been successful - they definitely have a lot more aroma than store bought coffee. They have "shells" sticking to them though, so you have to spend ten minutes rubbing them against each other and then pour them from one bowl to another in the wind to make the shells fly away.

Since the gyms are closed I've started working out with "kettlebells", actually 25 kg iron measurement weights from the 1950s, which my parents had lying around. I think I'll try to keep at it and not start at the gym when they open up again. It's convenient that I can just go to the garden and do a workout in 30 min as oppose to spending 90 min at the gym incl cycling back and forth, so I've been working out three times a week instead of the usual two I'd do at the gym - don't know if it will seem as convenient, when the weather gets colder again. It's different because the weights are not as heavy, so it's more reps and increasing reps instead of weight. Very basic workouts: four rounds of squat, overhead press, deadlift and rows following a quick warmup.

Mark Boyle inspired me to pick more "weeds" to use in salads and pots/stews: nettles, ramsons, ground elder, garlic mustard, and marjoram. Also went fishing twice, but no luck so far. I don't really know what I'm doing, so I'm reading up on it now to get more of a clue as to what blink/hooks (not sure of the English terms) to use with my small fishing rod.

Moneys

65% trailing 12 months savings rate
4.6 years of expenses saved

Cheepnis

Post by Cheepnis »

I have no science to back this up but intuitively it makes sense that increased reps at lower rate would provide more functional fitness. After all most everybody's day to day includes frequent lifting of light to medium weight objects and not sparse lifting of heavy objects. I see no downside to low weight/increased reps considering you can still build muscle while gaining useful things like stamina.

I forgot his name and couldn't find him just now, but I stumbled across a body-builder once who took this to the extreme. All his exercises he'd do 4 sets of 150 reps. Dude was jacked.

herp

Post by herp »

@just
Yup, I have experience dumpster diving, but not in Copenhagen. You can find a ton of perfectly fine food, if you're willing to get a bit dirty. Bring a lot of bags and a pair of gloves ;)

just

Post by just »

@Cheepnis
Yes, I think health wise it's just as good. It's just that I've been lifting heavy things for four years now, so it's a mental adjustment getting used to another mode of weight lifting. I've been doing Starting Strength/5x5 type workouts. I think body builders generally do more reps than what I've previously been doing, so I don't think I'll be losing muscle mass. I hope to maintain weight at least, so I don't have to downsize my wardrobe; upsized it a few years ago when I first started lifting :)

@herp
Do you do it regularly? I guess going at night after close is best? What city are you in? Big/small? From looking around it seems that at least some supermarkets have locked their trash bins away - my hypothesis is that they're more likely to do that in big cities due to dumpster diving being more prevalent?

just

Post by just »

Since last time I posted, I've started learning Spanish on Duolingo; they've done a great job of gamifying the learning which really works for me. I usually do 15 minutes a day. I don't have any particular goal in mind, but it's fun trying to learn something new. I was never particularly fond of German in school, which was mandatory, so I think I've been telling myself that languages are not for me; that I'm a math/science guy. It's fun to learn something different in a different domain.

Also started to juggle. I can do three balls, usually for a minute or so. It's fun to practice just a couple of minutes a day.

So I guess practicing stuff for a little bit every day has been my mode of learning over the last few months.

Reading

Last time I wrote, I had been binge reading Mark Boyle's books. Over the last months it's been Robert Wingham's stuff (https://wringham.co.uk/): his book Escape Everything, all 13 issues of the magazine New Escapologist (in which Jacob has written three articles), and a brand new book called The Good Life for Wage Slaves. He writes about a good life of simple pleasures without a "wage slave" job - or in the case of the new book how to enjoy life with a wage slave job. He writes with a sense of humour that I like.

Moneys

69% trailing 12 months savings rate
7.2 years of expenses saved

I feel like I'm cheating myself with the years of expenses saved because it's based on my entire networth, most of which is equity in my apartment and in an unlisted stock. Both of these can't be immediately sold and don't provide any cashflow, so I'll also start tracking how many years of expenses I have saved in liquid investments (at the moment cash and stocks).

1.4 years of expenses saved in liquid investments.